POST MATCH: Stoke 1 Liverpool 2 (EPL 7/4/17 3pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 8, 2017.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Apr 15, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

138 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Clyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Klavan (Yellow 47')

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Milner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alexander Arnold (off 45')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Can

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Woodburn (off 45')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Origi (off 67')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Coutinho (on 45', GOAL 69')

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. Firmino (on 45', GOAL 71', Yellow 72’)

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Sturridge (on 67')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Wijnaldum (soz for missing you off, Gini)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Damn, the goal is really very very embarrassing :-(

2. RedStefarus

RedStefarus TIA Youth Team

Yeah, first half was anything but good...but there are few positives-TAA and W got some minutes, Cou and Firmino got some time off.

In the end-we won and put massive pressure on the chasing teams.

It's just scary to see how bad we can be.

3. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

I was gonna add that neither of the kids was bad pr se. My post wasn't aimed to put blame of them either, they were actually pretty decent but there's just world of difference when it comes to winning a game when you use kids compare to established players. There really can't be no doubt about it. To be fair the new formation in the first half didn't work out either and also a factor why we lost it.

redfanman and OLDIE like this.
  4. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Everytime that shithead scores it is embarrassing,Walters is one of those irritating players that makes me cringe just hearing his name,K Philips is another one.

Chewbazza, inaiq, Lowton_Red and 4 others like this.
  5. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

Massive result considering the problems we have. I'm just thankful that Coutinho felt well enough and Firmino was fit enough for 45 mins. That pass Gini followed by the goal from Firmino was a thing of beauty!

Great saves from Mignolet too, critical ones as well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    FGred, Maria, Livvy and 1 other person like this.
  6. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Him and Rooney are the ones I hate most. Barkley is getting there quickly too. All are Evertonian knobheads

inaiq, James H and Scott Jones like this.
  7. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I missed the game yesterday, but watched the highlights and now have got up to speed with the pre and post match threads on here. Excellent posts guys/gals, humour was in top form:well done:

When I first saw the team sheet, I thought, $h#t, Klopp is sending our lambs out to the slaughter (Woodburn and TAA) and my cousin said " is our manager on drugs?"

Tbh, after reflection, I think Klopp made a daring move coupled with the fact he could not use all his players (due to injuries, fatigue and illness) and I think he did the right thing by bringing on our amazing Brazilian lads in the 2nd half as the whole team ( I think Klopp said this) were running on low batteries and it paid off with a humongous help by our Saviour Mignolet. What a save Mingsy! Give him a hug everyone.

A massive result for us, we are ok and our kids are alright, a great experience for them. God bless Bobby and Philipe, both were not at the best of health and they rescued us and hope they get better soon.
    Finally, our travelling Kop were beautiful with their choral voice who lifted our team. I am glad to see Danny back on the pitch.

Well done boys, well done to Klopp, well done our travelling Kop. Let's get over the line soon.

ETA: haven't seen whole match yet, so haven't given MOTM yet, but looking like our Simon will get it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

I agree. His mistake was where he used his players, not the players he selected.

9. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

That's fair enough. Your original post clearly blamed the kids.

I felt it was the established players that didn't turn up until the 2nd half.

Flobs, FGred and redfanman like this.
  10. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Blame is such a negative word.

You call it blame then I will call it realization of the obvious. We won and that's the main and best thing to take from yesterday :-)

FGred likes this.
  11. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Not a stogie, but a Stokey

12. shankly96

shankly96 Gif King

Apparently we've won more points from behind than any other team this season (18 points earned from losing positions). Maybe we should start games with a 1 goal handicap lollol

Also after drawing level with Juninho last game, Coutinho has become the highest scoring Brazilian in the PL with 30 goals. Interestingly enough Firmino is now up to 20 PL goals. Those two might end up having their own little comp to see who has the record next season (assuming Cou stays).

13. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

I think that Klopp mentioned Grujic briefly about watching him in the under23 where he played well but then pulled himself injured which annoyed him as it showed a weakness in his attitude in fact it was the same veiled comment that he made about Sturridge and his injuries. My guess is he will be gone this summer unless he starts to buck up his idea
    And show that he will go through a brick wall for his manager and more importantly for the team.

14. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

That would be a real shame as he has a lot of talent, he is obviously much younger than DS lets hope he gets his chance to show what he can do on the pitch

15. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

I hope I am wrong but the youngsters quality does not match that of the Fowlers Gerrard's Owens and MacManamans who hit the ground running when they broke into the first team and appeared to have played in the first team for years..

16. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I think that might be too high a standard to judge by - two of those guys were worthy of being poached away by Real Madrid, one of them is arguably the greatest player to ever play for the club (and the other 'arguably' we bought from Celtic), while the last is quite possibly the best pure finisher I can remember in the game. Owen and McManaman both broke through with the earliest characteristic to take shape, pace-based physical threat. Woodburn won't ever have that.

Gerrard really had a whole season of coming off the bench or starting as a second choice, and his own account of that time involves a lot of difficult learning. I am not sure that our take on Steven Gerrard circa March 1999 is that much stronger, though perhaps a bit more optimistic. I remember being convinced there was a good player in there, but I certainly did not see the Istanbul captain.

Fowler is an even odder comparison. He really was not that good in that 1993-94(and recall that he was on the bench the season before). His passing was mediocre, movement not that great, his link-up play nowhere near what it would become. Just not that good at all except for, you know, all the goals.

17. Flobs

Flobs FADA

I would point more at playing Clyne out of position and Milner in CM or where ever he was. Once they got back to more familiar positions they were much better.

No way should youngsters be used in that way with the CB's and some senior players in unfamiliar positions.

18. Flobs

Flobs FADA

It's evident to me that in the Matip-Lovren back four it's Lovren who is boss.
    The problem is Matip hasn't the leadership qualities to play in the center of a back 3. Always looked much better when Lovren took that role (yet far from perfect). I would just give up on a back 3.

19. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Sloppy from Can and Clyne.
    Defensive cock ups from Klavan, Matip leaving Lovren to try and pick up 2 attackers and choosing the wrong one.
    Klavan most at fault in the back 3 imo, should have just headed toward the byline as if Shakiri beat him (as he did) it was all over. Clyne was all over the shop playing on the left and was the main culprit to our problems (along with Milner during the 1st half.

20. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

That's just utter nonsense.. It's one of the biggest failings of Rodgers/TC, buying Lovren to organise his defence and finding out he has about as much leadership qualities as Donald Trump. He has to be hand held through a game, he looked so good at Southampton because Fonte was an excellent organiser. There is a reason that Loven consistently looks like a headless chicken, he just hasn't got that calm head you need at the back.

Semmy likes this.
  21. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

To be frank on the C.B. debate, we are just seeing out the season with what we have at the minute, Matip will play regularly next season I think but his partner will be new, I just cannot see us persisting with this back line and conceivably three from the four will be changed, I wonder does Clyne provide enough going forward in Klopp's eye's?

Livvy and Scott Jones like this.
  22. Scott Jones

Ouch.:eh?:

Alright Now and Livvy like this.
  23. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

bit rude, a "Like" will do i reckon

Alright Now likes this.
  24. redbrummie1

redbrummie1 Member

I've deleted it ! quoted the wrong post !!!!

redfanman and Jase like this.
  25. Scott Jones

Yeah right.lol

26. stan howard

stan howard theoldkoproar

The must win attitude of the second half needs to be our theme for the the last six games and the next 50 yearts. Pundits and fans low key on a major boost to our chances with the successful return of the one and only Daniel Sturridge, he looked good and fresh - a match winner in waiting.

FGred likes this.
  27. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Ok, I have been reading the reviews of this match from various newspapers and the general consensus is, that Klopp made a tactical mistake, he should have brought Firmino and Coutinho for 90 minutes, if they are good enough for the bench and he should not have put TAA and Woodburn in the firing line without help against such a tough opponent. Also, he was lucky to win yesterday.

I thought it was a bit harsh tbh, Klopp did rectify the problem at half time and they didn't take into consideration of the health and fitness of both Coutinho and Firmino, plus, we have to expose the youngsters at some point, to get them used to EPL fixtures.

28. stan howard

I watched Fowler score five great goals and hit the woodwork in a reserve game, we were crying out for someone to score goals in the first team but Houlier still left him out, it was not that he was not ready, no keeper would have saved any of those five goals.

FGred likes this.
  29. stan howard

All knobheads, I think your being a bit hard on the Male appendage.

30. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Klopp took a calculated risk IMO in that even if we lost this game we still had enough games to put things right rather than do some real damage to Firmino for the rest of the games, I think its very clear there is no way Coutinho could play 90 minutes. He got a great result 3 point players rested and now 8 days rest until the next game puts us in a great position