POST MATCH: West Brom 0 Liverpool 1 (EPL 16/4/17 1.30pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Man of the Match

Poll closed Apr 23, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Lucas [Yellow 71']

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Milner

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Can

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Wijnaldum

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. Coutinho [off 90+2]

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. Firmino [GOAL 45+1']

67 vote(s)
    47.5%
  11. Origi [off 82']

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Sturridge [on 82']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Moreno [on 90+2']

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

It's not like the first time they got away with it......................[​IMG]
    One nil,................................................................ we woz robbed.:unhappy:

Livvy, SBYM, redfanman and 2 others like this.
  2. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

Sorry la, a gif too far.:rolleyes:
    At least he kept his shirt on.

Alright Now, Maria and redfanman like this.
  3. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Yes I do remember, it was horrible to watch!

I think both Milner and Clyne are very good at the supportive midfield stuff. Unfortunately Milner is too slow to add the 'desired' attacking threat we need. Clyne might have the speed but behaves like a Playmaking winger and slows the game down making him useless as an attacking threat in our system (let's face it it hasn't the tools to be a playmaker).
    We can not be sure that Milner would be as good let alone better on the right, he does a good job on the left so why tempt fate?
    If both Clyne and Milner played a supporting, rather than an attacking, role they are both fine. Both could also be upgraded however that is not a priority. A bit more rigor in midfield would do as much,if not more, good as such an upgrade.

As for Gomez I would prefer he had 1/2 a season with the U23's (with the medical staff following him) and then a loan to a Championship side.

redfanman likes this.
  4. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Only saw the last half hour or so (yoga being the reason if anyone cares enough to enquire). Haven't watched the match re-run, just settled for highlights on MOTD as I can't be doing with anything more than the absolute minimum of that lot and their alehouse football. It's like watching the English First Division back in the 1980s again. I'm just really happy that we shoved it up Hoof Pulisinho and his bunch of cloggers. Doesn't say much for the Prem that they're currently the 8th best team in the country.
    Hughes, Pulis and Allardyce in a row for us. Oh, what joy to be in the same league as such illustrious coaching talent. And some people still wonder why British coaches don't get the top jobs in the Prem.

Can't really add much to what most others have said in here except that Can is now starting to show the form and presence that he was showing in the latter part of last season. That calf injury must have been seriously debilitating.
    As for Moreno, the shot doesn't change my opinion of him. He still plays football like an educationally subnormal 8 year old with ADHD after 5 packets of M&Ms. With regards to his long range shooting, he's hardly Xabi Alonso. As a left-back, he's barely Djimi Traoré. Hope @ubermick's car has had a full service and MOT.

Haha, comedy genius :well done: Quite possibly quote of the year on this site. Moreno calculating the number of toes on his feet would be an achievement.

Livvy, Maria, redfanman and 1 other person like this.
  5. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

I am taking nothing out of that stop nor its importance. I will even go further and say being a "Shot stopper" was always he stronger side.
    I honestly think that he deserves all the praises for that save.
    I do feel that there have been quite a lot of posts from people on this forum raving his "Heroics" in the last 10 minutes of the match, where he was required to punch out a few hopeful crosses. While I am joyful that after 4 years Migs has finally learned how to deal with what is widely considered as the bare minimum of what a GK should be able to do.

People seem to forget that a GK job is to make saves...

6. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

That's not shot stopping though, no one in the league currently is closing players down and narrowing that angle better than Mignolet. Also effectively he is using his entire body to close and block.

It's another line of defence effectively, as for punching away crosses and the like, the defence wasn't doing it, when left to them they seemed to let it drop about four times before getting it clear.

His job might be to save but he deserves credit for effectively improving in his job, I could wave at 4 or 5 shots on a Saturday and then save the odd one or two. No one is going notice if I don't make those 4 or 5 as they were difficult anyhow, however he has done everything in his mind to make that impossible for Phillips, he hasn't much time, he hasn't got many angles his best bet is the lob but he can't execute it and it's a safe as for the one last week the leg stop was immense.

I've frankly had enough of goalies not getting credit, there is a difference between making saves and actually making us get points, last two games he has won us points, like a certain Spanish bloke down the road in Manchester.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  7. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

What I didn't understand is why he didn't kick and chase. As one of the freshest, if not the freshest player, on the pitch and someone with significant pace, why not see who gets to the football first? There's no need to try to dribble that far or take a long shot...

Although I do say this with the knowledge that Moreno is not exactly known for his well-thought out decisions on the pitch.

Artrain likes this.
  8. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

After watching this back, I'm probably being a tad unfair to Milner. Still should have scored but it wasn't as clear cut/easy as I initially thought.

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Being one of his biggest critics and not a fan of the goalie coach I do agree his primary job is tending goal. That includes shotstopping. I won't speak for others but I certainly did not forget that is his job, but for the last 10 minutes heroics he pulled, someone out there actually failed to do their job. In an ideal situation, if everyone is doing their job well, he would not have to pulled out that sort of heroic saves in last 10 minutes of the match. The threat would have been contained by the defenders.

So for all our praise that gone for Lucas last ditch tackles, Can's muscling out his opponent and Coutinho dribbling past his marker, the last 10 minutes of heroic is what made him stand out. Therefore the clamouring is understandable. Because he did his job extremely well and we won the game.

10. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Are you serious? Do you not remember his role in 15/16?

Milner last year playing more on the right was tied for 5th in assists with David Silva and Mahrez. Clearly you have forgotten what he is able to do when being played in a role better suited to his strengths.

Here's his assists for the year, you tell me how he plays on the right (aka before Mané)

He should be playing RB, IMO. Would rather see Clyne played out of position so at least ONE of the two FB would contribute somewhat regularly

NYRhockey and redfanman like this.
  11. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Did you watch that before posting it?
    Over than half his assists were with his left foot and many from the left or axial positions. Also he wasn't playing RB, his role offered him a lot more freedom. He's fine on the left even City saw that.

12. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

So we bullied WBA in the air defensively, had some GK heroics, kept a clean sheet and scored from a set piece by the 2 of the shortest players we have. Elated!

Regarding Moreno's miss, I'd expect that from someone who have been in the first 3 competitive minutes since what seems to be forever.

redfanman, Commando and Flobs like this.
  13. BostonMick

BostonMick TIA New Signing no more! Valued Member

I'm giving this post a composite "like" - ingredients as follows
    1/4 for the yoga reference
    1/4 for the bravery for the yoga reference
    1/4 for historical references
    1/4 for comic genius

14. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

I didn't say what foot he was kicking the ball with. But again, you have missed the point as i specifically stated, "more on the right".

He can do a job on the left, but he is a better player for us in other places. Has only 3 assists this year whereas he had 10 this time last year (just in league)

15. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Eddie. I think we both agree he had a very good game, and I am the first to agree he saved these points for us with the save from Philips. I also agree he did quite well in the the last 10 minutes, I just wouldn't call it heroics, furthermore, if he didn't do it well I would see him guilty ( unlike the earlier save, if Philips would have scored I would not blame Migs for it ).
    To conclude, Migs had one great save and did his job well in the last 10 minutes.

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  16. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Disagree. I thought he showed enough at LB before one poor game , to suggest he could do a job there. Obviously better at RB or CB but certainly not horrible at LB like Moreno.

17. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

That one is the deal-breaker in my eyes. He'll never be able to infuse confidence into his backline because of his sloppy controls of the ball and his inability to be at ease with the ball when having to send it to team-mates. The number of times his clearings end up beyond the side-lines, or are immediately recovered by the opposition, sometimes at the cost of immediately dangerous actions, will always hinder him to be a top-class goalie. The amount of times he has struck fear into his team-mates by struggling in dangerous positions when having to control and pass the ball (ie. Stoke in the first minutes) has been staggering to be honest.

Very good on his line yes, and he has improved his general behaviour on set pieces and high incoming balls lately, but that is not enough to make him a permanent fixture for us I'm afraid, no matter how well he plays from now until the end of the season. In Kloppo's place, I'd still put a top-class goalie right up there on the list of potential incomings next summer. Or I'd try to develop Karius, if that's still the plan.

I can only agree with this statement! :-)