POST MATCH: West Brom 0 Liverpool 1 (EPL 16/4/17 1.30pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Man of the Match

Poll closed Apr 23, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Lucas [Yellow 71']

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Milner

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Can

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Wijnaldum

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. Coutinho [off 90+2]

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. Firmino [GOAL 45+1']

67 vote(s)
    47.5%
  11. Origi [off 82']

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Sturridge [on 82']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Moreno [on 90+2']

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

He has always been an excellent shot stopper in my opinion (which to me is job one).
    His passing isn't the best ever, but it has improved massively.
    Where he was always at fault was commanding the area on set pieces. He has improved leaps and bounds there.
    He's not world class. But if he keeps the ball out of the net, and has some solidity in front of him so they can develop a relationship and know when who is going to clear what, that'll be good enough for us.

2. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

At this post-game presser, Jurgen said Moreno had had a few difficult weeks, but deserved time after last week. Jurgen was complimentary again of his character and said he would have been delighted for Moreno had he scored.

SBYM, Maria and Scott Jones like this.
  3. StrongINTheAir

I've been a huge Can fan, but I also think Hendo makes the team go (for a bit of perspective).
    So is it just me, or should Hendo start to sweat a little about how Can has been performing of late (I know Lucas did Hendos position today)?
    I think Emre has been looking huge inboffense and defensive duties of midfield and could reliably take over Jordan's spot, especially if he can't overcome what seems to be increasingly repetitive leg and foot leg and foot injuries.

Isle and James H like this.
  4. Bonus

Bonus TIA New Signing

so you are happy with him,
    and would like to see him between the stick as 1st choice next season?

5. Flobs

Flobs FADA

There was some pretty shoddy defending that I wouldn't expect many other goalkeepers to suffer. On that note I think any intervention from a LFC keeper just helps us out that bit more.
    On another note I really can not see where giving one of our players praise does any harm. They get enough flack as it is and the confidence boost they might get from fans accolade might just get us over the line. That goes particularly for Mignolet who this season has looked like the player we bought.

FGred likes this.
  6. General Sefton

General Sefton TIA Youth Team

Well that was a bum cleanser!
    Three points in the bag(ies).
    That will do!
    Forever onward.

Commando and SBYM like this.
  7. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

hahahaha...

How good was Lucas showing the ball to the ref?

For all his faults I fucking love him.

Commando, Livvy, Scott Jones and 3 others like this.
  8. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

And bugger me...wtf happened to Phil's sat-nav today?

He couldn't hit the side of a barn with a machine-gun....from the inside.

9. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Nothing new so no need of comment from me unless someone else does. ;-)

SBYM likes this.
  10. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Danny Murphy has aged really fucking badly,he is starting to look like Shearers father.:-)

FGred, Commando, Lowton_Red and 7 others like this.
  11. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I think Sturridge to his left is offside - don't think the lads on his right are?

12. jaschwilli

jaschwilli New Member

As I understand the offside rule, Moreno was not allowed to pass the ball to Can or Sturrige, because there was no goalkeeper and only one defender in front of him. If he passed the ball it would have been offside. Please correct me if I`m wrong, but don`t bash Moreno for not passing (thats if I am right, though)
    Personally I liked Matip very much today, apart from that one slip which led to Migs big safe.
    I can really imagine him playing the 6 as a back up, if Hendo or Can are missing out. I think its easier to buy two full backs than one defensive midfielder. To me it looked like he was changing postion with Lucas from time to time and I like his distribution very much.
    West Brom plays really ugly. On every set piece, they put a player next to the goaly only to disturb him, block him, even play foul - part of their game, the refs should look closer there.
    Apart from that, good ref today.

FGred and Commando like this.
  13. Flobs

Flobs FADA

No he wasn't. Lucas was covering him when he went forward, which he did fairly often in the second half. He never sat in front of the defense like a dm.

14. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Only got to watch bits and pieces of the game, but being against a Pulis team no need to watch the full replay and the highlights do just fine.

Tough miss by Milner and even tougher one by Moreno, who in my opinion gets too much undeserved crap. He may not be very good at the football thing, but the guy gives his all whenever given a chance and you don't see tweets or comments from him in the media. The guy is a pro but just does not fit here. Good luck to him wherever he goes next.

YUGE 3 points to keep pace with securing a top 4 finish and massive credit to the entire team from Klopp on down for an "ugly" win.

I believe Klopp said Lallana can come back after the Palace game so it'll be good to have him back for the last few games of the season.

redfanman, Flobs and SBYM like this.
  15. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Further to my comment some good performances out there
    Well Can and Firmino were behind Moreno I think? Pretty sure two WBA defenders were between them two.

Anyhow Moss was a bit positive on our side but I think he just reffed by the letter (which is kind of refreshing in itself), the linesman wasn't great on one side but bar two throw ins he didn't get much wrong. Pulis on the sidelines looked like he was registering a great injustice.

The best thing about that was WBA gave a shit, Foster going up front at the end showed that so it hurt more. But I'll give them one thing they do seem to make it hard for anyone at the Hawthorns not just trot it out when a big team comes.

Anyhow I gave my vote to Mignolet, but Matip, Can or Firmino could have got it.

redfanman and Jase like this.
  16. yiannos33

yiannos33 TIA Reserve Team

An ugly win and 3 important points. No new injuries which is great.
    Mignolet was brilliant again. Not too many saves but 2 great ones.
    As far as Moreno he has to take the credit for the turnover. He was brought in to defend which he did. Probably got too excited with his shot.
    Now a week to prepare for our next match at home.

SBYM likes this.
  17. Danny_

Danny_ Well-Known Member

I honestly think that part of the problem is that he has never had a decent defense in front of him so he tries too much. He has all the components of a top class keeper except his distribution (most notably his throw which is very weak). But, I still think he is good enough if we just get one more top CB like Matip in front of him.

StrongINTheAir likes this.
  18. StrongINTheAir

I'd be okay with it, and I'll tell you why. First we have other areas of more pressing need to focus on in this window.
    More importantly though, name me a better keeper who will be available, who we can get to replace him.

19. StrongINTheAir

That's the point I'm trying to make. If we had a solid CB partnership in front of him who are both Strong In The Air, he would look even more confident. We've had way too many iffy CBs for quite awhile who are just as culpable.

20. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Moreno, Moreno! MORENO!!!!

Oh. Moreno.

21. Isle

Isle Active Member

From the start of the season to now Can has grown on me more than any player on the team. The more he plays, the more comfortable he feels in his role, the more confidence he's grown. He's been in excellent form. He also brings a little bit of physical swagger with him.

StrongINTheAir likes this.
  22. westcoastbias79

westcoastbias79 Active Member

Really like the organization on the throw-ins and corners. Must be practicing that stuff more. Great sign.

23. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

'evening all and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it.

Just getting to watch the match now, I have a question.

This was 13:30 k.o, correct? So middle of the afternoon and the floodlights were on? Bit odd, that. Cannot ever remember seeing that before.

70%poss, I shot on goal at 40min. Yikes, sounds like Jan again

redfanman and SBYM like this.
  24. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Also of note....Clyne may be tidy at the back (tidy-ish?), but shocking going forward. Really contributing whole lot of running without result, complete dead end for any movement and seems completely unable to attempt some sort of cross into the box.

Makes me long for the right foot of Milner on that side and try something else at LB. Joe Gomez?

25. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Hahaha...

*crickets*

Scott Jones likes this.
  26. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

That is the key to our winning in that game and Stoke's too. If it wasn't for his saves, we would not have all 3 points, no? I would rather him not having to pull out those saves, and do anything "worldie" because it means the defence had nullified any threat approaching the keeper. But when he is called upon, he pulled out a good point blank save and that's all that matters.

Take a look at Rashford's shot against Bergovic, if that had been blocked, Chelsea might just push on. You may never know. But the goal went in and changes the complexion of the game. Same goes for us. So we should applaud him when he did well, and slate the fuck out of him when he made school boy error. Coming out and punching the ball clear had been his problem majority of the season, something we been calling out for being commanding in his area.

Mario Santi and redfanman like this.
  27. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Beating a Puiis side with a set peice, cant get sweeter than that.

MOM by a distance Mingolet, Firmino second

Thats the best we have defended set peices all season and WBA has some serious threat with Brunt's dellivery.

So much better with 4 at the back and an extra midfielder

Huge win and now for Palace.

Those are the positives from the game

28. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

I decided to split the posts into the positives and negatives this one deals with the negatives from the game

1 We still struggle against Thug teams, Gini especially goes hiding in these types of games. For next season we need more steel.

2 Game management not to hot with Moreno who should have passed whilst Sturridge was still in his own half and Sturridge walk the ball into the net. Worst of all with 2 minutes to go Firmino tries to dribble out of trouble on the edge of his own area.

3 Our style of play is still causing us big problems in that every time WBA won the ball one pass later they were straight through on to our back 4 and a better attacking team would have made much more of those opportunities. Do the same against Palace and we will be cut to ribbons and lose the game. Its something that needs addressing for next season and comes back to the central point that its the system that is failing and not the players as I thought Lovren and Matip were very good for the game.

29. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

We did not struggle at all with West Brom's tactics, not even slightly. Gini, Can and Lucas won the midfield whilst the centre backs and keeper won plenty from set pieces.

30. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Well then, let's dissect what your comments are piece by piece, since your other brother already posted above your with a pretty decent one indeed.

We had 64% possession, we surrendered majority of them late in the game around the 10-15mins mark to the end of the game. We didn't struggle, we were commanding the midfield, and you probably saw Wijnaldum in the 80th minute rather than the entire game. So no, we didn't struggle, especially in midfield. Can provided the steel while Wijnaldum provided the outlet to defuse the problem.

How was game management bad when Coutinho looked out of sort and exhausted, could not chase down the opponent and subbed him for a player who has pace and is a defender? Klopp didn't put Moreno in to hope that he missed that shot or didn't carry out a pass on the break. That isn't game management, that's just a daft player. Firmino's silly flick at the closing stages in our own half is also not game management. Klopp didn't instruct him to do that in the game, so how is that game management problem?

You do realise that West Brom home record for goal scored only behind 5 teams in the league, yes? They scored as many as City at Hawthorns, so they are not exactly inept in scoring goals at their own home. So that itself says they were not past through to our back four when they have only hit 7 shots all game long. 7 occasions out of the entire 90 minutes for a team that scored as much as Manchester City at home shows our playing style is not causing us BIG problems.