POST MATCH: West Brom 0 Liverpool 1 (EPL 16/4/17 1.30pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Man of the Match

Poll closed Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
  1. Mignolet

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Lucas [Yellow 71']

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Milner

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Can

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Wijnaldum

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. Coutinho [off 90+2]

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. Firmino [GOAL 45+1']

67 vote(s)
    47.5%
  11. Origi [off 82']

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Sturridge [on 82']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Moreno [on 90+2']

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

What a result yesterday! Absolutely buzzing off it still- ahead of stoke and WBA away I was thinking anywhere between 0 and 3 points to be totally honest- to come away with 6 is an immense achievement

2. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

You should had yelled pass.

Jase, SBYM, Lowton_Red and 1 other person like this.
  3. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Migs, Can and Firmino top performers. Origi and Gini was below standard tho, I was surprised how much the game passed Gini by and was never really involved unlike Can who got so much presence it's crazy, maybe I've come to expect too much from Wijnaldum but he disappointed me. Same for Origi who only showed glimpse of what to expect from a Liverpool forward, almost got himself a goal so that'll excuse him for a lackluster performance. Rest of the team did well enough to secure the win... Lucas with an assist wtf :shocked:

4. Commando

Commando Member

The one corner that WBA got in the first half, the ref blew for a foul on Migs by Fletcher I think it was. He just seemed to let it go with WBA's corners late in the game. I thought Migs dealt very well with the rough house stuff.

5. Commando

Commando Member

It would be interesting to know if the low cross and flick on were a tactic that had been practiced mid week to counter the height of the Baggies defence.

6. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Why not keep Milner on the left and play TAA or Gomez on the right?

7. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Because Milner doesnt provide width on the left and he slows down the attack by having to get the ball onto his right foot to cross.

Semmy likes this.
  8. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Wouldn't that be even worst with Gomez as we witnessed before?
    At least Milner can do it.

9. redfanman

I dont think he was suggesting Gomez at LB again.

10. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Rewatched the match again, I have to give MOTM to two people, Firmino and Mingolet. These two are at the moment pivotal in really getting us closer to that top 4 spot. The last 20 minutes, we really played for our lives in that hostile place.

I looked at the premier league table, if Tottenham manage to lose a match in the next run of games, do you think we can claim a second spot, the points do not look that far away from our position?

Is it true that Arsenal have 3 or 4 games in hand? Tbh, I am worried about them more than Man Utd in getting the top 4 position.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  11. Flobs

Flobs FADA

I think he was. :-)

12. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

We're ahead of Arsenal...even if they win all of their three in hand we're still 3 points up, which will be even more when they draw at Boro tonight...

;-)

And the form Spurs are in...the chance of catching them is miniscule...but JK never gives up, so no chance the lads will either.

FGred, Alright Now, Jase and 2 others like this.
  13. Flobs

Flobs FADA

From the little I saw of other games Spurs are on a role and worth a bet to win the league.
    If we keep up a winning form 3rd would still be a very good finish for us. Let's make sure we finish above Man U.
    Other clubs have games in hand on us which complicates the picture.

Maria and redfanman like this.
  14. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

The Arse have three games in hand on us. However they are 12 points behind, so even if they win all of their games in hand they would still be behind us.
    Spurs have to play Arsenal and manure, so they could well drop points in these games. They also have to play away to West Ham and that won't be as easy as it might look on paper. However they are five points ahead of us with a game in hand, so they would have to drop 9 points (e.g. lose three games) to give us a realistic chance of overtaking them. So, realistically third place is most likely our best outcome, but hell, we can dream.:well done:

15. redfanman

You're right. I was reading your post, not his. I dont know why he was suggesting Gomez at LB then unless he was happy with just having the one attacking fullback and thinks the current set up doesnt provide even that.

16. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

The law states that a player is in an offside position if:
    • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
    • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
    The goalkeeper isn't specifically mentioned as having to be one of the last two opponents.

When Moreno strikes the ball, Sturridge is offside, however both Can and Firmino are onside.
    not offside-00001.jpg

17. redfanman

Yes, cant see Arsenal being a threat anymore, just a spawny Utd.

Jase and Lowton_Red like this.
  18. redfanman

I cant be too critical about Moreno here, cant imagine too many players would have known Can and Firmino are behind them, and whether or not they are the better option. It wasnt a bad shot, just slighly mis hit it.

Alright Now, Maria and Lowton_Red like this.
  19. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Thanks @SBYM, @Lowton_Red and @Flobs , tbh, I am still nervous but cautiously optimistic at the same time, after the huge disappointment of 2013/2014 season. I feel the pressure of the unknown and I am not even a footballer, because how quickly top 4 positions change in the last few weeks in the EPL

FGred, BostonMick, redfanman and 4 others like this.
  20. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Win our 3 home games against poor teams and were as good as there, you couldnt really wish for better. Our two away games are against teams with nothing to play for

21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

With Moreno, he isn't a mainstay, the only reason he was on was to add freshness and an outlet probably to seek the corner flag if he needs.

We won and so it doesn't much matter, unless goal difference comes into play but if it does then it means we have lost or drawn one of our remaining 5 and that would be the reason not Moreno rushing his shot that costs us.

redfanman likes this.
  22. Dutch

Dutch Active Member Valued Member

This and

One of the "game in hand" matches is between those two manchester teams so either one or both of them will be losing points. I'm confident we will reach CL football next season.

StrongINTheAir likes this.
  23. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I'm still absolutely chuffed to bits we've won this game and at Stoke, 2 really tough games and all without Mane, Lallana and Hendo.

We have more character and a stronger mentality than a lot of people give us credit for.

BostonMick, Mario Santi, SBYM and 6 others like this.
  24. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

That's a big 'no' to Gomez at either fullback position to me. The thought of him there as an improvement can only be a sign of our struggles there and not his potential there

redfanman and Flobs like this.
  25. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

And 0.3% chance to win it all. This is the stuff dreams are made of! Walk on!

FGred and Lowton_Red like this.
  26. SirBillShankly

Why a big no?

I reckon he would be decent at RB.

27. BostonMick

BostonMick TIA New Signing no more! Valued Member

That second half save from Mignolet was crucial (and brilliant)
    Has he silently and steadily remade himself as a #1 that we have confidence in?
    Last five minutes put our woeful recent history of screwing ourselves out to points on show - the Moreno attempt at goal (any other option including running to the corner was better) and after Gini really thoughtfully closed up shop by shutting it down in midfield - someone else again ended up giving the ball away
    (On that note we gave the ball away in their half to set up that shot that led to the Mignolet save)
    Terrific win - especially when you consider set pieces were our friend

FGred and SirBillShankly like this.
  28. SirBillShankly

Yep, for me I have confidence in Mignolet these days, I think he has been terrific this season. Dont think we'll be seeing a new 'keeper next season. His saves in the last 2 games may well be the difference between Europa and Champions League football next season.

With all the talk of new big, fat contracts being handed out left, right and centre, I think he deserves a pay rise more than any other player on our books.

Commando likes this.
  29. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

He got a contract last winter... the reaction on here was absolutely brutal if I remember.

I've noticed with Mignolet is the use of his legs. It's almost impossible to send it to the side of him and he stands up pretty well to cut out that lob (the more difficult option as it is).

I know I'm pretty good at leg saves having played solely 7 aside footie for the last 10 years before last December. In fact if Mignolet was in Begovic's position yesterday he would have saved Rashford's. Likelihood is you'll face it about one or twice in a game so unlike 7 a side the striker cannot learn what to do, but even then you'll be able to make a block if you close the angle.

What has impressed me more is that in the last 20 minutes almost all the aerial threats it was Mignolet who dealt with them, he is fast becoming a seriously impressive keeper, you do wonder if after all it was competition he needed as it's started since he came back after being dropped.

He's always been a fine shot stopper like Heaton and Pickford but he is adding to that, at 29 he is still just entering the peak years of a goalie so who knows.

Fingers crossed he keeps it up.

Commando, Da Bulli, T.C.B and 5 others like this.
  30. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

I think without Henderson (capt) Lallana (creative midfield) and Mane (IMO our best player) we have done very well. A few matches ago, Klopp talked abuot getting results and not the performance. And thats what we have done.
    5 games, three at home.