POST MATCH: West Brom 0 Liverpool 1 (EPL 16/4/17 1.30pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Man of the Match

Poll closed Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
  1. Mignolet

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Lucas [Yellow 71']

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Milner

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Can

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Wijnaldum

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. Coutinho [off 90+2]

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. Firmino [GOAL 45+1']

67 vote(s)
    47.5%
  11. Origi [off 82']

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Sturridge [on 82']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Moreno [on 90+2']

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

Actually I would. We have dropped numerous points against so-called weaker teams this season because they have frustrated us by defending deep whilst simultaneously taking advantage of our set piece weakness/unforced defensive errors. It's been proven that we perform better against stronger opposition, largely I think because those teams attempt to win the game i.e. they have a go at us thus leaving us more room to hit them where it hurts in open play.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    BostonMick likes this.
  2. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

The pressure was off a bit last two games because very few expected us to win both, the difference in our next game the onus is on us to break Palace down on dont get done on the sucker punch which is not easy against Palace, hopefully Dann misses the game as well as Sakho.

FGred likes this.
  3. hoosierred

hoosierred Well-Known Member Valued Member

Fair enough... but there is no guarantee he would have pulled that off either.

Artrain likes this.
  4. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

I am not worried about the Palace game. Lucas, Can and Wijnaldum will boss the midfield again.

SBYM likes this.
  5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

How do you get away telling us to think before we post is beyond me. It is very well known fact that Sakho is our player loaned out to Palace and therefore not allowed to play against his home club. You are hopeful he won't make the lineup? Dann is out till May, possibly end of season, again reported all over the place.

geebo, Scott Jones, T.C.B and 3 others like this.
  6. hoosierred

hoosierred Well-Known Member Valued Member

Doesn't he just have to be able to hit the target from there? Isn't that the right choice given a defender in position to challenge a cut back to Can or Firmino?

Limiescouse likes this.
  7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I think the whole pass thing is because of the quality of the players who he could have passed to, but christ, you dont need to be a premiership level forward to put the ball into an open net from 40 yards.

I see that Livermore seems to have escaped any meaningful censure for his tackle. This is exactly the situation I was talkiing about the Taylor-Coleman incident. You see challenges like that every game and no one blinks an eye until one of them walks away with a broken leg. It's messed up.

redfanman likes this.
  8. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Yes, but not everyone is going to hit 10/10 shots in that position, if he had 10 attempts to score that, this may have been the 1/10 he would miss.

9. redfanman

His performances when he played at the start of the season were better than those he has put in for much of the time here. He was unfortunate to be dropped when he was - that wasnt a decision made because of his form, but because Klopp had already made up his mind to start the season with Karius.

10. Limiescouse

He had to pass the ball 40 yards with a margin of error of 8 feet. I would expect a premiership level player of any position to make that pass 1000 times out of 1000.

Artrain, geebo, SBYM and 1 other person like this.
  11. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

I agree with you all the set piece teams that play against us are always helped by the ref who inevitably turns a blind eye to:
    1. Block the GK
    2. 5 players in the box two of which stand on our CHs toes
    3. Two block the FBs
    4. 1 is the Jumper and runner to head the ball free from any challenge
    5. Two lines of 3 players wait outside the 18yard box for the second ball
    6. Anywhere near the box just drop like a bag of shite holding your ankle in agony when the tackle was perfectly directed at the ball
    7. They know the refs are perfectly willing to give a FK whether it is a valid one or not as they like the underDogs
    The above manual was devised years ago by the master set-piece maestro Sam Allarcrass and his bright pupil Tony Putrid has added the towel to clean the ball for a rocket launcher from the touch line.
    All of these shenanigans I am hoping will disappear with video tech but I am an eternal optimist...

Commando and jaschwilli like this.
  12. redfanman

We've seen strikers miss an open net from less than 6 yards out. I dont see why we expect Moreno to hit a 40 yard strike 100% of the time.

13. Limiescouse

We have, but most often it's when trying to come onto a ball, and while still easy has a lot more moving parts to consider than simply being in possession and making a simple 40 yard pass.

redfanman likes this.
  14. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Even then it was evident Karius had come in as number 1.

redfanman likes this.
  15. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

Brilliant result. I thought Lucas was Boss. So was Can and Wijnaldum.
    Migs man of the match for me. Fucking Bossed the 6 yards box.
    I got a stroke when Moreno went brain dead. That could have come to haunt us later.
    My observation is that Origi is going to be a top CF. He is a perfect package. Footwork, Tricks, Pace,Physicality and can lead the line alone very well.

16. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Never played the game, so forgive the n00b question...

Did he put some curl on that ball? We see a lot of the passes that switch play, for example, have some curl on them (to go around opposition players etc)...

I would have thought a straighter ball was the best option in that situation.

Not that it matters...

17. Limiescouse

It curled, but I'm not sure if it was purposeful.

SBYM and redfanman like this.
  18. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I think it was, he just doesn't possess real footballing intelligence does he? If he did, then he would have aimed for the left post and it would've curled nicely into the centre of the goal.

One thing's without doubt - Xabi would have buried that chance.

Artrain likes this.
  19. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Love Xabi, but he wouldn't have had the legs to even create that chance.

I will give this much to Moreno. Finish aside, he hustled to create that opportunity and he took his shot at it. He screwed his chance, but I would rather he shoot than try a Hollywood pass or play the ball for a player in an offside position.

Either way, good to see him back on the pitch even of only for a short time.

And for those that commented on my earlier post regarding Milner and Gomez playing FB...does nobody remember how well Joe played LB before his injury?

In a match where we need some good delivery from the right side, we won't get that from Clyne, who for all his excellence in defending has become Sterling-esque for his ability to kill a movement deep into the right side of the pitch. If we are going to play with such high FB I would like to see Milner up there putting some crosses in (remember the GWG vs Dortmund, for example?)

Can afford to have a little more defensive-minded LB playing next to Lovren, as Gomez would be playing behind Coutinho who doesn't track back as well

Flobs and redfanman like this.
  20. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

So, on the other nine occasions it went like this:
    [​IMG]
    I (and Moreno) wish :rolleyes:

21. lfc.eddie

@Lowton_Red so you're saying they shifted the goal post? :-)

Lowton_Red and redfanman like this.
  22. Lowton_Red

Moreno strikes the ball on its left side, slightly below the centre line, with the inside of his left foot which imparts both a clockwise and backspin on the ball. The clockwise spin causes the ball to swerve in the air from left to right. The slight backspin accentuates the affect of the clockwise spin as well as causing the ball to kick up on its first bounce; the spin translates into top spin with a much lower bounce on the second bounce. Had Moreno taken the time to calculate the trajectory he would have realised that striking the ball slightly more towards the centre line would have imparted less rotation, so permitting a much straighter trajectory and subsequently a goal.

As I told Kloppo, before the match, for god's sake, why don't you give the lads slide-rules and theodolites; they'll never miss.:shocked:

23. redfanman

Gomez was solid, but he didnt do much going forward. After a few games, teams worked that out and exploited it.

24. redfanman

Yes, i'm not sure the curl was deliberate. I think he just hit it, and the ball moved away from goal.

SBYM and Lowton_Red like this.
  25. Lowton_Red

Pullis and his assistant, just out of shot, are doing just that.:eh?:

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  26. lfc.eddie

Bastards, I knew it. Denying our Moreno a goal.... cunts. :unhappy:

redfanman, Lowton_Red and Scott Jones like this.
  27. SBYM

Didn't realise the two WBA players were so close to him...that's the first time I've seen that down the pitch view.

A much harder shot than I thought.

Ps...look at us...win 0-1, moaning we didn't win 0-2!! haha

Long may it continue!!!!

Livvy, basil1492, Flobs and 2 others like this.
  28. SBYM

Please ask JK why he hasn't answered any of my letters...

I really think we'd hit it off.

29. Lowton_Red

No way josé. I have enough competition from my missus (and Lucy Meacock) for him as it is.

Maria, redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  30. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Firmino wants that pass so badly it looks like Willem Dafoe's death scene in Platoon