Post-Season Friendly Sydney FC vs LFC

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Clive, May 23, 2017.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

So some 66 hours after the final whistle against Middlesbrough and some 20 hours of travel, the Reds play Sydney FC, the recent A League champions.

The Reds, bolstered by former players Gerrard, McManaman, Carra and Agger will be welcomed by a passionate Aussie following once again, given this is the first match in Sydney following sellouts in recent years in Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. Can and Coutinho won't make the trip, however a strong squad has made the trip, including Roberto Firmino, Lucas Leiva, Vice Captain James Milner, Divock Origi, Daniel Sturridge and Georginio Wijnaldum.

Sydney FC, coached by Guus Hiddink's former Socceroos assistant Graham Arnold will be no pushovers having beaten Melbourne Victory in the A League grand final earlier in the month and having clearly been the best side domestically during the home and away fixtures. Serbian Milos Ninkovic is probably the stand out player for the locals.

Looking forward to an entertaining clash in front of a large crowd in the region of 80,000. It's on ABC TV in Australia, and LFC TV elsewhere.

Edit - it's on Wednesday 24 May

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    geebo, Broomy, MarcusBerglund and 2 others like this.
  2. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I wonder if they will sit back with two banks of 4.

Bodger, redbj, Eintrachtfan and 2 others like this.
  3. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

If you get the opportunity to watch Australian Football (Soccer), you will notice it is slightly more aggressive and definitely more brutal than, your English Super league Rugby. I'll tell you, I'm glad it's at the end of the season, and not the start.
    The average coach in Australia, uses the ethos, you can't run without a head, and anything other than, that, is open slather.
    They will be champing at the bit, for them its a world cup game, not a friendly.
    Anyway, can't wait to see the game, even though, LFC don't actually arrive until 10.00am on Wednesday morning, and play at 8pm at night.
    Should be a great atmosphere, and no doubt, who the crowd will be watching. It will be a sea of red. By the way, the tickets sold out in 18 minutes.

geebo, Eintrachtfan, Jase and 2 others like this.
  4. nikz200

nikz200 Active Member

Only want two things from this game

1) a 45 yard Stevie G classic
    2) nobody getting injured

Carry on

5. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Banana skin this one

6. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Would be interesting to see if the decided to do a Burnley and sit back 10 men behind the ball. I'd bang my head on the wall.

Jase likes this.
  7. LFCFFC

LFCFFC New Member

As a Perth Glory fan, wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool demolish them (Sydney were close to unbeatable this season). 30-0 will suffice.

As a Liverpool fan, please for the love of god no injuries to anyone. If the dietician so much as tweaks a hamstring celebrating I'll lose my shit.

In saying that, wish I could be there

SBYM, Scott Jones and Jase like this.
  8. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Carragher and McManaman, really? I mean, I can understand Gerrard getting half an hour or so, he's Gerrard and played professional football only months ago... but the other legends are not needed in my opinion (and it's not like the event would be less great for Aussie fans without them), would rather see 2-3 more kids get that chance to travel and play. Give Gerrard an appearance, but let the legends play with legends. I hope we don't keep playing them until they're 50, even in these friendlies that are not even part of pre-season.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

A must win game for sure.....

jabu and Jase like this.
  10. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Haha, that one leaves me head-scratching a bit, but I sure as hell prefer this to take place now, rather than during pre-season. With this game out of the way, other than five days in the Far East at the start of the pre-season, the team will be given the opportunity to 'enjoy' a long training period in Germany. I'm sure it will rather be a concentration camp than any form of holidays, but I want Klopp to develop his ruthlessness, and that will be the perfect occasion for him to make them suffer...
    [​IMG]

For now, it's a nice gesture towards the fans in Australia who were so great the last time our team went down under. That YNWA in Melbourne still resounds in my ears, it was absolutely fantastic! Maybe the Sydney fans can show themselves worthy of the occasion as well?

Rooster and inaiq like this.
  11. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

Sure seems like there's a chance for some, um, awkward moments on this trip considering how much time Carra has invested in telling the world some of his teammates aren't good enough.

lol

12. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Should be a decent game,can't imagine Sydney sitting back,they are going to want to showcase themselves.
    The game sold out in no time so reckon the fans will be in full voice.
    Just as long as no one gets injured.

13. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Starting 11 is (from LFC Facebook):

Confirmed #LFC starting XI v Sydney FC:

Karius, Lovren, Carragher, Moreno, Alexander-Arnold, Lucas, Gerrard, Woodburn, Firmino, Sturridge, Wilson.

Lucas will captain the #RedsInSydney tonight.

Scott Jones, inaiq and Livvy like this.
  14. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Really don't understand the thinking behind playing Carra, Gomez is the one that needs the games.

15. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

well, it`s a ( we are coming to make a lot of money ) friendly so we will see a lot of subs probably. i think everyone who´s ready will get some gametime somehow.

this is not our CL qualifier ;-)

Scott Jones likes this.
  16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Seriously? It's just an end of season jolly, who gives a shit?

Arminius, RobLFC, Red Armada and 4 others like this.
  17. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Wilson, Woodburn, TAA all starting.. Wonder if this is the start of their chance to impress Klopp during pre-season?

18. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

Beautiful day here in Sydney as I am about to walk over to the ground.

I'm not sure scheduling the game tonight is a good idea after the team landed this morning. Why not tomorrow or Friday.

Anyway, Sydney FC have a big advantage due to the travel and they have been arguably the best team in A League history this year. Ninkovic has been the player of the year but maybe they have been boozing on since they won the grand final. The comments above about Aussie football being like Rugby are rubbish or perhaps tongue in cheek. Obviously the last match watched was when Kevin Muscat was around.

I'm not expecting too much in terms of intensity more a going through the motions. Mixed about Carra and Stevie playing. I hope Liverpool stick around for a few days and enjoy a well earned season ending holiday.

A few beers and a great sing along - can't wait.

19. SirBillShankly

I do.This isn't some Legends jolly is it? Don't you think Gomez needs a run out?

Maybe we can give Hansen and Lawrenson a call, after all, who gives a shit?

20. lfc.eddie

It is also not a game to prepare for the new season. It's a promotional match which serves no purpose for the new season. It was meant for promoting the club, nothing else. Gomez will get his chance when the actual preseason starts after they packed up to go on a month long holiday. If they wanted to get involve I am sure they would be welcome to do so.

Rambler likes this.
  21. SirBillShankly

Thanks for clearing that up Eddie, I'd be lost without you :rolleyes:

22. lfc.eddie

No problem..... just so you know the team had just arrived about 10 hours ago, less than a day before the match. Hope that gets you wound up about the damn airline....

23. Zinedine Biscan

Why bother? They'll all heading off on summer holidays after this and he'll get the full preseason. I'm baffled by the objection, to be honest. The premise of the game was surely revealed by the selections of Carra, Macca, Gerrard and Agger?

24. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

bet the last thing these players want to do is finish a gruelling season and fly out to australia for a footy match!! should be good for those LFC fans in Oz though

25. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

because he doesnt get enough props on this issue, jus wanna say respect to sturridge for playing the last few games while injured. i think it has really helped in his cool relationship with klopp as well

Scott Jones likes this.
  26. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Wondering how the team is lining up? 433 or 4231

Karius
    TAA-Carra-Lovren-Moreno
    Lucas-Gerrard-Woodburn
    Wilson-Sturridge-Firmino
    or

Karius
    TAA-Carra-Lovren-Moreno
    Lucas-Gerrard
    Wilson-Firmino-Woodburn
    Sturridge​

27. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I expect some people will be calling for certain players heads after this game.... it's a jokey kick about.

28. Zinedine Biscan

In any case, Echo reporting that Gomez was taken unwell during the flight and was sent home.

29. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

LFC has massive support in Oz, and it goes back decades.

They will be super chuffed to see the old fellas alongside the youngins.

Edit; not that the old-balls were running around decades ago, but you catch my drift...

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    melbournered and Scott Jones like this.
  30. SirBillShankly

Well, I'm of the opinion that our legends should stick to playing just the legends games.That's all.I really don't see the point of playing Carra and the old boys, maybe I'm missing the point completely. I just want to see Gomez and our young lads, our future players, not the past players getting a chance in the first team.Maybe Carra and Macca hasve their eyes on a comeback?

Now, there's no need to fall out over this is there? ;-)