Pre Match discussion : Liverpool vs Middlesbrough; Sunday 21 May 2017; 15:00 PM GMT (EPL)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Hope in your heart, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

He could do if Hull shut out Spurs and Lukaku scores a hattrick.. Arsenal 2 - 3 Everton?

Might happen, who knows. Everton can really hurt a team with a porous defence when it suits them, and Arsenal will definitely be looking to attack.

Should be irrelevant though. We're winning this one.

2. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Couldnt careless about Everton winning at Arsenal.

Okay, maybe I care a little but we shouldnt be worrying anything but or own performances.

I really dont expect Middlesbrough to give us much of a fight. They were a decent team before relegation.

Lets put this thing to bed.

3. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

I care more about what Citeh does than Arsenal to be honest.

I really don't want to qualify for CL because of 4th, and have to play Dortmund of Sevilla.....We'll be exiting in August.....

But, like everyone says, let's beat Boro first, before figuring out what will happen in the CL.....

BostonMick likes this.
  4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Didn't realise Champs League change their format to playing knockout stages starting August.....

5. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Middle and end of August is the usual time for 4th place to play their qualifier

6. lfc.eddie

We won't square off with the likes of Dortmund and Sevilla....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_UEFA_Champions_League
    We are in the one of the 4th spot in association 3 clubs, Sevilla and Dortmund is also in the association 3 clubs. No point jumping up and down about things that aren't going to happen. Maybe the guy I quoted live in the Trump country and it affected him, fact is, we will not be playing against Sevilla and Dortmund, so let's not go ape shit about it.

StrongINTheAir likes this.
  7. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

?

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...e-play-off-against-sevilla-napoli-or-dortmund

legalalien likes this.
  8. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

We actually could get bumped into the unseeded 5 in the playoff round, and therefore make drawing Sevilla. It is just fairly unlikely, with Sporting also qualified for the playoff round, there is already one team lower than us among the 5 teams entering in that round - at least two clubs with a higher coefficient would have to advance out of the third qualifying round. Right now the BL team coming in that round would be Hoffenheim, also significantly below LFC's coefficient - and of course, that would preclude Dortmund. Of the teams we already know are in the Q3 round, two have a higher coefficient (Ajax and Dynamo Kiev), Zenit and Napoli are strong possiblities.

The league tables are producing an unusually strong cohort this year for the playoff round

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM
  9. LFC-Orlando

@Jase Yes, that's what I said....we'll be existing the CL in August - and that's because I've reviewed the likely opponents for our qualifier - if we are not seeded.......

Citeh and Arsenal, if 4th would play "lower grade teams" because of their seeding....

Look at some of our likely opponents if we are 4th:

Borussia Dortmund (124.899), Sevilla (112.771), Napoli (88.499), Zenit (87.106), Dynamo Kiev (67.526), Ajax (64.092) -

We need 2 miracles, Ajax to win the EL so they go straight to group stage, and Dortmund to better Hoffenheim's result this weekend......

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM
  10. lfc.eddie

11. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Err... could we wait to see if we can actually beat Middlesbrough before making speculations about what could eventually happen after that? :eh?:

One step after the other, lads. I just hope that the players stay 100% focused on the task in front of them, that's all.

12. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Jeez... How many miracles do we need? Might as well just give up now, why don't we? You're gonna give yourself a heart attack worrying about numerous eventualities like that. Relax, whatever happens, happens. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

13. BostonMick

BostonMick TIA New Signing no more! Valued Member

sigh...I leave all the talk of champions league fixtures and locations to you lads who are optimistic and knowledgeable about such stuff
    me - I'm sitting at my desk at work..rocking back and forth - praying we score first and early this weekend....

14. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

You really need to figure out what it is you're trying to say. To exist and to exit are 2 different things. Knowing your shtick i'm pretty sure i know which one you mean but just bring it up so you can at least pay more attention to what you write.

15. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

exactly.. it's been a long week without much distraction

16. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

He's not worrying about anything as he already knows it's either 3rd or Europa League because finishing 4th is guaranteed knockout in the playoff round. It makes life worry-free when you already know the outcome of things long before they happen.

17. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

I like the starters. Maybe I'd bring Origi on for Coutinho though in the second scenario for his size and strength for set pieces, and to provide a little hold up play. Or maybe for Daniel. Depends on who had been more effective.

18. LFC-Orlando

Oh, I see. An English teacher correcting grammatical errors? You guessed right. It was a typo, exiting instead of existing.
    So judging by how you chase my posts not just in the Owners thread, but in other threads, too, you obviously have issues to resolve. Must be hard, but start to look for help. Maybe for starters, ignore my posts.

19. theres always tommorrow

theres always tommorrow It's enough to win but it feels better to win well

More nerves on display in this forum - calm down.

Didn't feel nervous last Sunday after the team was selected and this weekend will be the same. We have a great threat up front and magician in midfield. 4-1 us

Livvy likes this.
  20. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Let's all take a deep breath and believe in ourselves for the ability to believe our team can win this match. I heard yoga does wonders too.

My nephew and his wife have got tickets for the match, they are so excited as well as nervous. The wife will be driving back to Glasgow just in case the nephew goes into a 'catatonic' state or gets other PTSD symptoms related to LFC match watching.

Que Sera Sera, whatever is in our destiny this season.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 9:39 PM
  21. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

Understandably many of us are getting more and more excited and nervous.
    My opinion is we will win on Sunday, no matter what result.
    It would be a bad thing if our future would depend on other games result.

Last season we hammered the relegated Aston Villa 6-0, so why not a similar result again Middlesbrough

Commando, Maria, Alright Now and 2 others like this.
  22. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

He's nitpicking. Relax mate. You are in Orlando (not one bit envious.. says he in rain soaked Ireland...it's May FFS and still no sun), get out into the sunshine and don't worry about the permutations if we get fourth.

I'm far more confident following the West Ham display. Too much focus on the previous half dozen games when we fielded a different (much slower) set up.

Commando likes this.
  23. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

The 5 teams that come in (PL, BL, La Liga 4th, etc) would normally be drawn against teams that had advanced from 3Q, but normally they would be seeded higher. This is a weird year.

Last year, only one of the teams advancing out of 3Q had a higher UEFA coefficient than any of the five teams placed into the playoff round - Ajax, which therefore displaced Roma from the 5 seeded positions and had Roma facing Porto.

This year, Ajax is in that mix again. Dynamo Kyiv is similar, normally wins their league and gets a place in the group round, this year they finished 2nd so will be seeded if they can win in 3Q. At the same time, the standard for the seeded teams is going to be a lot higher. Last year, the cut off for the seeded 5 was Monchengladbach at 42. City was top at 99, Ajax as the fourth seeded was at 58.

Assuming Kyiv and Ajax are in the playoff, that is two teams at 67. If the tables finished as they are today, Sporting would not be seeded. Napoli at 88 would be seeded, as would Sevilla at 112. Dortmund(124) would finish 3rd, so Hoffenheim would be in this round unseeded, LFC at 56 would be sitting on the last seeded spot. All it takes is Dortmund to drop down to 4th and we drop out of the seeded spots.

Boro first...

24. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

Middlesbrough aren't scoring here folks, it's just a matter of how many nil this is gonna be. Personally i'd settle for 1 nil but i think it's gonna be.more, staking my wager on 3 nil

25. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

My new kit has arrived in the nick of time. Let's fast forward. Walk on!

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM
    Scott Jones, SBYM and Commando like this.
  26. kiwiredman

kiwiredman Who wants to give only 99%, can leave now

My sentiments exactly. Although they haven't troubled the scorers too often, they have a very tight defence and will still want to leave the premiere league with their heads held high. Being cautiously grounded or cautiously optimistic is bang on. We have fallen into complacency mode all too often this season, so let's just put our heads down and do the talking on the pitch. I will take 3 points any way it comes and it's a bonus if the Arse or Citeh slip up in their final fixtures.

Hopefully JK has instructed the groundsman to get the sprinklers out and has that pitch prepared to his liking...

27. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

The bottom line is that if we don't beat them then we don't deserve to be in the Champions League qualifiers. No excuses, no blaming the ref, bad luck, tiredness, the pitch and all the other nonsense......if we don't qualify it is all down to the players, JK & his staff at LFC. It will be our own fault....thankfully for my nerves sake I will not be able to watch it.

28. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Active Member

Yesterday was a beautiful day and today is starting of bright and sunny

29. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Since Karanka was sacked mid-March, Boro have played 10 games, taking a total of 6 points from 30 available, 1W 3D 6L.

Goals scored in those 10: 7
    Goals conceded: 20

Away from home they only scored 1 point, away to Swansea. Their other 5 points all came in home games.

Among the defeats they conceded 4 goals apiece to Hull and Bournemouth, and 3 to Chelsea and United (who otherwise can barely buy a goal). They also let in 2 against Saints who also have struggled to score that often.

In their 4 away games in that 10-game run, they conceded 11 goals. In those away games, they only managed to score 2 goals, both in the loss to Hull.

The signs are good for this one. So why am I so fucking nervous?

30. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Well, Man City needed a late equaliser to draw with them just 3 weeks ago.

This may not be the thrashing a lot of us (myself included) expect, just hope they don't sit back like Southampton and that we can bang in an early goal, otherwise this could be another nervy game.

El Dorado likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.