PRE-MATCH: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (Sunday 23 April 1630 ko)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Don't expect this to be easy,but do expect the lads to be really up for this one.
    We obviously don't want to drop any more points now,which if we can do it,puts a lot more pressure on the others,who have tighter run ins.
    The 3 points is really what is required and I'll accept them,how ever they come!

2. kiwiredman

kiwiredman Who wants to give only 99%, can leave now

I for one think Palace have a decent team, although their current position in the table doesn't back that up, they for me are one of those teams who have punched well below their weight this season. Any team that can stuff the Arse with 3 and beat Chelski at the bridge can't be taken lightly. They have plenty of players who can make us pay for any silly errors.
    Don't care how we get them, as long as it's another 3 points in the bag even if it means a dull 1-0 win. Assume JK will stick with the same line up and formation that did the bizzo against WBA. Why change a winning formula, especially against a team that will likely have a blue print game plan to that of the baseball cap wearing bell-end.

redfanman likes this.
  3. General Sefton

General Sefton TIA Youth Team

Goal difference first. If that ends up the same, position in league is then determined by most goals scored.

redfanman likes this.
  4. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

we all hope utd will drop points, and with their EPL matches and FA cup involvement, I really hope it won't come down to GD. I know I was counting on Chelsea to slow them down but that didn't turn out.
    All I am saying is that with the possibility of finishing with the same points as utd, it is a good idea to pay attention to that aspect, especially in home games.

5. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Goal difference shouldn't be the primary concern. If we simply win our 5 games we finish 3rd, or 4th if City also win all their games. If goal difference becomes a concern we can simply smash Middlesbrough around a bit on the last day :-)

legalalien and redfanman like this.
  6. The Flying Pig

The Flying Pig Well-Known Member

As well as playing in two cup competitions, in their remaining league games United have to play away at Arsenal, Man City and Tottenham.
    If we cannot better their points total with our fixtures in those circumstances the we don't deserve to be in the bloody Champions league League !

7. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

So looks like joe Gomez & lovren v benteke on Sunday. Klopp confirms matip, klavan not trained this week along with Lucas. Never seen or heard of a team so injury prone than this seasons .absolutely Rediculous.

8. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Maybe one of them will pass a late fitness test.

9. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Sakho return maybe, its not like he's busy or anything.

10. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Klopp hasn't 100% ruled out Matip, Klavan and Lucas, so there's still maybe a chance for one of them, or on the bench. Still time from the presser until the game. But yeah, it's a bit worrying again if we're without all of them, Gomez needs to step in and we need to find yet another solution (personnel or structure wise) in central midfield.

Livvy and redfanman like this.
  11. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/20/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-joe-hart-exile-torino

Article about Joe Hart not coming to us, but then talks about the squad for CP game. Also says Hendo might not make it back the rest of the season. I wanted to see Gomez at some point this year when the season started, now I think I'd be happy to see him stay on the bench. Hope one of the injured guys makes it back.

From the article:
    Liverpool have several defensive problems for Sunday’s home game against Crystal Palace. Joël Matip, Ragnar Klavan and Lucas Leiva have been unable to train this week owing to injuries. Matip and Lucas have muscle issues, while Klavan has a slight medial ligament problem. Joe Gomez is in contention for his first Premier League appearance of the season.

Adam Lallana and Jordan Henderson will also miss the Palace game and Klopp has cast doubt over the captain’s availability for the remainder of the season. Henderson has been out since 11 February with a foot injury and unlike Lallana, who is expected to return to full training next week, is not close to a return.

Asked whether Henderson could miss the rest of the campaign, Klopp said: “I don’t know. We will have to see. He cannot really train so we have to wait for when he can. That was always the plan with the medical department. He is not patient any more, I can tell you that. He looks really healthy but nothing has changed.”

12. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

It's our plight since years. Whenever a good partnership or a good spine starts to blossom, you'll have the injury jinx striking us. And since Klopp joined the club, they fall in droves, usually all in the same area of the pitch. Isn't it typical in this case: we have gone within a few days from all potential center backs fit and available, to having one left, plus a youngster who has barely come back from a bad injury himself.

As you say, it's absolutely fªcking ridiculous.

13. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

So that's Can, Gini, and ... Grujic? Stewart? in mid?

Can't see 3 at the back with only 2 potential CBs fit...so that means probably a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1, and only two senior CMs fit. Will be an interesting one.

TAA Lovren Gomez Clyne
    Can
    Gini Milner
    Firmino Origi Coutinho
    Maybe something like this? I'd rather not see Milner at CM again...but not sure how many options we have. Pick one of the kids to start from TAA, Woodburn, Stewart, or Gruijic and go from their I guess. I'm picking TAA because I think Klopp trusts him more right now than the others.

Personally, I'd start Stewart and keep Clyne on the right and Milner on the left to give Gomez as big of a security blanket as possible, but we shall see.

14. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Gomez/Lovren shouldn't be a bad partnership. Granted they haven't played together much, if any, but i'm high on Gomez so it's a good opportunity for him.

Midfield i guess it gets tricky and perhaps we see Woodburn given another start.

15. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

They've fallen in droves and every one of the 'cattle' in the presser avoids upsetting the 'drover' with a critical question about training intensity. Whatever! I trust he'll take a long hard look at what he has to change this summer (obviously without being prompted to do so by supine journos), it seems to me like it's been his biggest weakness throughout his training career, but he can still learn

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 3:15 PM
  16. redfanman

He's regularly been asked about training intensity.

17. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Lucas, Matip and Klavan also a doubt.
    On the bright side, I think playing 3 in the back is off the table.

I am not that worried about playing Gomez, more about losing Lucas.

Livvy likes this.
  18. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Why? It's Palace at home, drop Can back to sit on Benteke, move Coutinho into the midfield and go with Sturridge alongside Firmino and Origi.. Again it's fucking Palace at home, we smashed them away, Fat head can go fuck off, close down Zaha and you beat them.

19. Jimmyscase

Asked about injuries and how he's going to manage the missing players, yes often, too often. Players being criticized in public for not playing through niggles (re Sturridge) was a danger sign, don't you feel?

20. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

This is awesome. For a second, I thought you morphed into Scott Jones.

Scott Jones and Livvy like this.
  21. Commando

Commando Member

Let's smash the grin (gurn) of that fat chewy munching divvy's face. Three points from this and the pressure eases bit by bit for the Watford game. Beat Watford and the same applies for the Southampton game and so on.
    Get the three points from this game and then think about the next one.

22. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

If only it was that simple... Klopp isn't an idiot. If the answer was as obvious as that, he'd have reduced the intensity since long. And as said by redfanman, he gets asked time and time again by journos why there are injuries, and whether they have to do with exaggerated training intensity.

My guess is something else: a pattern of bad luck pursuing this club since years, irrespective of whom is in charge. We had the same problem with Kenny and then Rodgers, bar the 13-14 season. Before that, Rafa had his share of utter bad luck as well (mainly shit owners coming in at a critical time, but also key injuries at bad times for the club). And still before him, Houillier got struck with a heart-attack just when he was about to find his groove with LFC, which was his undoing in the end, and a huge set-back for the club.

The following doesn't sound very rational, but if I was Klopp, I'd do as @lfc.eddie suggested a while ago: ask the Thai monks who served Leicester so well last season, to look what the fªck the problem is with LFC and all that bad luck pursuing them.

People often talk about LFC as a sleeping giant. My take would rather be that we are a giant permanently held back by small and numerous shackles. Like Gulliver in Lilliput. Every injury to a key player is one of these small shackles which in the end, mount up to an enormous number and paralyse us.

(I know I know... I'll take my coat now, and my prozac while I'm at it... ;-))

Alright Now likes this.
  23. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

You realise that the central defenders do little to no "gengenpressing" right? So the two are completely un-related, Lucas you may have a point but he's been close to being taken out back and turned into glue for a long time.

redfanman and Livvy like this.
  24. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Fuckers have our number - beat us at Anfield last year, and if memory serves the year before that as well. And now it seems we have an even bigger injury crisis on our hands, with a question mark over Matip and even Lucas now, coupled with no Henderson, Lallana, or Matip.

Not at all confident going into this with shaky form and half our starting XI outfield players missing.

redfanman likes this.
  25. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

The football gods really do hate us dont they, First choice players out Mane, Lallana, Henderson and possibly Matip, then you have first choice reserves like Lucas and Klavan possibly out right at the peak time. We also have to manage Firmino, dont think any of our competitors are having to deal with such issues

My view is if Matip plays we should win and if he doesnt then its going to be very tough

26. Jimmyscase

'Das Gen' is the German version of 'gene' so I'm quite certain Matip and Klavan are quite relieved Klopp's not asking them to get theirs nicely-pressed.

27. redfanman

No. Studge has been available for more games this season than he has for quite a while. A lot of the injuries were freak incidents and have occured in matches. Klopp was getting criticised on his training regime last season when players were injured in November/December - yet he was barely training them at that time due to the frequency of games, just running cool down sessions.

28. Jimmyscase

OK no worries, I'm just having a German Kloppknocktag. It's my time of the month, ......or the missus's

redfanman likes this.
  29. redfanman

No worries. The injury situation is frustrating and given the problems Klopp had in his final year in Dortmund, it's easy to conclude it's a training issue but I think it needs a closer look.

30. Jimmyscase

Still, the perfect Klopp player mutant would be a mixture of Ian Callaghan and Jamie Carragher, with Serena Williams as the surrogate mother.

redfanman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.