PRE-MATCH: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (Sunday 23 April 1630 ko)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

While on paper/screen a front 3 of Sturridge, Origi and Firmino looks like a whole lot of fire power, It looks to me like they will most probably step on each others toes, running into one another, and not to mention very little counter press. I would rather use Stewart as DM with Can and Gini infront, or even use Moreno as LB with Milner in the middle.
    Besides you have to leave something on the bench to make an impact .

2. shachart

Carra ????
    The man is a legend, and I will not say anything against the man to imply he is anything but a legend, but he is far from the ideal CB Klopp likes. Carra main attributes as a player was his leadership and heart, and while I am certain Klopp is looking for these attributes in his players ( as any managerwould ), Carra's playing style and physical attributes are far from what Klopp likes.
    Carra was a typical, no nonesense, English CB. His "style" was hoofball, which suited Rafa quite well. He wasn't that fast, he wasn't that composed on the ball, and was pretty week offensively at set pieces. He is in many ways the exact opposite of Matip.

Having said all that, I must say again, the man is a legend and as the song goes "We want a team of Carraghers" , I just don't think Klopp wants that team.

Jimmyscase and Livvy like this.
  3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Agreed. Dont think Studge is capable of playing from the start. Better to give him the last 30 minutes max. Stewart has barely played this season, so i would prefer to have Can playing the deeper role.

4. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

Didn't miss many games injured though. Btw Origi, Dan and Roberto stepping on each others toes nearly completes my injury bingo card, all I've got left is clash of heads with a teammate

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  5. Jimmyscase

Could've 'liked' your post twice. 100% with you vis-a-vis legend status. Though Klopp better start learning the lyrics to these songs, his English hasn"t improved in months

6. redfanman

7. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Van Aanholt was awful in their last game.

8. redfanman

I know. At Sunderland he must have been fast approaching a record for most red cards too, always seemed to be getting sent off.

9. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Couldn't disagree more with this. Klopp would have loved Carragher, a prime Carra would improve this defensive significantly. He wasn't all leadership and heart (which Klopp would love anyway) but he was a good, clever defender too.

Carragher was a better footballer than given credit for, better than Lovren at least and Klopp has no issue playing him. Maybe Carra hoofed because that's what his managers wanted him to do? Houllier and Roy encourage that and Rafa and Kenny mostly used target men up front. And I don't remember him struggling to play it out in the short time he played under Rodgers.

Libero likes this.
  10. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Spot on. Carra in his prime would be a perfect partner for Matip.

Libero likes this.
  11. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I do wish you'd stop speaking in such absurd absolutes.

12. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

So Gomez and Lovren will eat Benteke for breakfast then?

13. redfanman

MAybe, but if they dont, it is entirely possible the rest of the team stop Benteke getting the ball, or Benteke wastes any opportunities he does get.

shachart likes this.
  14. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

If Matip guarantees a win why don't we play the U23s and him against Palace? Give the the other lads a rest.

Kanonkop, OhYaBeauty, RMP and 6 others like this.
  15. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Well, if not breakfast, maybe a late tea-time snack.

Maybe Benteke will play like shit? Maybe they'll manage to do just enough and everyone can eat their own lunch? Maybe Benteke scores but we pour in 4? Maybe Mingolet pulls another great save out of his ass? Maybe one of the other 19 players will have a say in the outcome of the game? Maybe a lot of different shit might happen?

Isn't that why the game is so great?

16. lfc.eddie

I think they would prefer bacon and eggs with toast, maybe beans. Doubt cannibalism is legal in the UK.

Lowton_Red, Scorchio and redfanman like this.
  17. shachart

I knew I would get into trouble over this.
    I never said Carra wasn't a great defender. Quite the opposite, most people remember Istanbul for Gerrard and Dudek, but for me Carra was the real hero there. I totally agree Cara was a good and clever defender, and I believe the outside Liverpool he never got the recognition he deserved as one the best CB in the league.
    I was commenting on the posy saying that the "IDEAL" CB for klopp will be in the mold of Carra, not if he was good enough to play for Klopp in this team.

Carra in his prime would have taken Lovren's spot, no doubt. I would argue he would have taken Matip's spot as well. I do not think either of them is the Ideal CB in Klopps eyes either ( Lets not forget, Klopp only brought Matip. Lovren is all BR ).
    If anything, I think the "Ideal" CB in Klopp's eyes would probably be a mix of Hyppia and Agger.

Commando likes this.
  18. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

Gomez or Can will be lovrens partner if matip can't make it, I think matip will be fine. Might see Philips on the bench.

19. shachart

We know Benteke needs service to be a threat. He needs good crosses.
    Also, he isn't the ideal striker to pay on the counter. He is big and strong and his hold up game is very good, but if we close his supply line I think he won't be such a factor that Gomez and Matip can't handle. To stop Benteke, Clyne and Milner should close down attempts of crosses from their respective sides.

rickardinho1, Livvy and redfanman like this.
  20. lfc.eddie

As long as we don't knock the ball about in our own final 3rd trying to be too clever with or without Matip. As long as Klopp tells Lovren to hold his position and don't charge into challenges if there it is not necessary. If Lucas is fit enough to play defensive mid. Then Origi, Firmino and Coutinho are all up for it. I think we will be alright. The problem is when we start to fuck around our own final third, passing it around trying to be too clever with the ball there, and panic when losing possession, that is where we get ourselves exposed. The danger here without Matip will be on our set piece, with him in there can be a good distraction for Allardyce men who loves to go for physical aerial attacks.

21. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Is this Christian Benteke were on about,he's fucking useless and i remember being over the fucking moon these divs bought him and paid us our money back.:well done:

rupzzz, Alright Now, Livvy and 3 others like this.
  22. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

I've missed everything for nearly a week travelling so i'm back and fully fit for this one. Meatloaf Sam will be feeling confident for this one and it would be lovely to see the smile wiped to the other side of his fat head.
    I think we are going to continue as we have over the past few games and a strong run in will continue.
    2 - 1 to the Redmen

23. lfc.eddie

Ah crap... you mean you weren't around when we had a back to back win in the last two games? There goes our chance....

24. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

The main onus in this match will be on our full backs to cut off any service to Benteke - I don't think they will attack through the middle much.
    Lovren can man mark Benteke as he's quite good in the air and Milner and Clyne need to stay glued to Zaha and Townsend.

Nur der BvB09 likes this.
  25. Nur der BvB09

Nur der BvB09 Active Member

Me going for a comfortable win 3:0 into the next game.Can t see palace troube us on sunday.
    Up the Reds.YNWA

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  26. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Seems odd for the article on the front page to highlight Palace as our bogey team when we've won the last two, whereas we've only won 1 of the last 7 against West Ham and they are the only current Premier League team that Klopp hasn't beaten as Liverpool manager.

27. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Klopp did say in his presser that most of the injuries are down to bad luck because they are mainly just knocks rather than anything muscular.

redfanman likes this.
  28. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

The solution?

Cruz Azul visited by sorceress Zulema, hoping to break decades-long curse

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/the-to...ess-zulema-hoping-to-break-decades-long-curse

redfanman and Hope in your heart like this.
  29. Bambii

Bambii TIA Reserve Team

Hoping Matip is fit because Matip and Lovren are getting a strong partnership. Important to keep Zaha quiet. Been looking really good

30. Jimmyscase

This was my post and it was too open to interpretation perhaps. I should have made clear why the two legends Callaghan and Carragher would be perfect Klopp Players. I was only thinking about their fantastic injury records and Serena's pregnant.
    "....
    shachartOur greatest win

Still, the perfect Klopp player mutant would be a mixture of Ian Callaghan and Jamie Carragher, with Serena Williams as the surrogate mother.
    Carra ????
    The man is a legend, and I will not say anything against the man to imply he is anything but a legend, but he is far from the ideal CB Klopp likes. Carra main attributes as a player was his leadership and heart, and while I am certain Klopp is looking for these attributes in his players ( as any managerwould ), Carra's playing style and physical attributes are far from what Klopp likes.
    Carra was a typical, no nonesense, English CB. His "style" was hoofball, which suited Rafa quite well. He wasn't that fast, he wasn't that composed on the ball, and was pretty week offensively at set pieces. He is in many ways the exact opposite of Matip. "
    End of quote

Sorry for provoking any hot water anyone else got into

shachart and Scott Jones like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.