PRE-MATCH: Stoke v Liverpool (EPL 8/4/2017 1500 ko)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Massive game, need to win this after dropping 2 points last time out, Stoke have lost their last 3 and are safe from the threat of relegation,maybe it's a good time to play them? Chelsea scraped a narrow 2-1 win here and they held City 0-0 at the Etihad recently so we're in for a very tough afternoon I would think.

Assuming Mane and Hendo are still unavailable, I would like to see Grujic play instead of Lucas (but it wont happen will it?),the team i'd like to see:

................................Mignolet...............................
    Clyne........Matip................Lovren...........Milner
    ...................................Can.....................................................Grujic.....................Wijnaldum.................Coutinho..............Origi...................Firmino....

Think we'll edge this 2-1.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    LaurazRed, Scott Jones and Jase like this.
  2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Hopefully Lovren and Matip can start together.
    Sturridge loves scoring against Stoke, so can see him get some minutes, hopefully when we are 2-0 up.

If we keep our head, Stoke are shit really, lost 2 on the bounce and they certainly aren't the aerial based team of past (still a threat from that though.)

If we don't win this, we don't deserve top 4, simple as that tbh.

3. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Id go with that team and hopefully Firmino gives us a full game for the first time in a long time and if were losing I hope Klopp changes it giving Sturridge and Grujic game time

4. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

Firmino's missed two games, been subbed (late 80's mainly) in five, and played the full match in the rest...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    SBYM, lfc.eddie and redfanman like this.
  5. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spurs (H) WIN
    City (H) WIN
    Chelsea (a) WIN
    ManU (a) DRAW
    Arsenal (a) LOSS

Liverpool (a) pleasegodpleasegodpleasegoddontfuckthisupmypoortatterednervescanttakeitanymore WIN

SBYM, Sionach, Scott Jones and 4 others like this.
  6. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

Do you want to see Lucas dropped for Grujic because

(a) You think Lucas will struggle to play 3 games in a week.
    (b) You think Grujic was awesome in the 30 minutes of PL action he's played this season.
    (c) Lucas is shit, a liability who's legs have gone who should have been sold years ago.

redfanman likes this.
  7. Makati Red

I meant a real game in that he plays to the top of his abillity which he has not done for sometime now. If we could 7 great games out of Firmino and Coutinho pretty sure we would get enough points for the CL

8. Makati Red

Think A is the answer but I am ok with Lucas playing for the first half as we try to keep it tight but if he is struggling we need to get Grujic on very quickly

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Are you commenting on a post from someone living in an alternate universe? lollol Not sure if he's been watching our games or confusing Coutinho with Firmino, you know them "inhos" and "inos" are hard to distinguish.

As for this one. We need to win and I too am worried if Lucas can handle 3 games in a week, but I doubt we will have much of an option either. I am not going to advocate Grujic playing, if anything, I would rather see Alexander-Arnold playing in first before Grujic. The English boy has more experience in the Premier League. Then we have Coutinho, Origi and Firmino, the one I am worried about would be Coutinho. He is going to get bullied from start to finish and we cannot afford another one joining Henderson and Lallana on sick bed.

Scrappy win will do. Defence needs to stay sharp and please no more fucking about in our own half. If Klopp is being serious about playing and winning ugly, make the team train on crossing the ball into the box as much as we can. Origi is pretty good in the air if the delivery is half decent (of course, unless it's too close to the post, you know, he is scared of getting hurt, according to some.... lol).

The problem here is Stoke isn't exactly safe yet with 36 points to their name. They are 8 above the relegation zone and would certainly like to get far away from there. That is where I am worried because they are quite decent at home and would certainly like 3 points in their own turf.

LaurazRed and redfanman like this.
  10. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

IMO there's no case for Grujic to start.

If Lucas is knackered after two matches in a week, there's a stronger case to drop Coutinho back into midfield and bring Moreno in at left midfield, or put Moreno at left back and use Milner in midfield, or switch Clyne to left back and use TAA at right back and put Milner in Midfield.

I've been very surprised at Moreno not being used, especially in Mane's absence. Sure, he's no Mane, and he's not the best defender either, but as wing back or in midfield he can break the line with pace and offer something other than the pedestrian play we have without a pacey wide man.

Also, if we use three centre backs, I'd have the right sided one as Can, Matip in the middle and Lovren on the left. Matip is the natural central player, Lovren is naturally left sided, Can naturally right sided.

It's a shame that the back 3 didn't work the other night, because Klavan was on the field IMO rather than because it's of no use (look at Chelsea). I'd like to see the back three I mentioned, Moreno at LWB, Clyne at RWB and five from Lucas, Gini, Coutinho, Milner, Firmino and Origi in a midfield/attack. The shape of midfield/attack would either be a diamond and one striker, two CMS a central number 10 and two forwards, or a midfield three and two forwards.

I'm getting concerned that there's no innovation or variation in Klopp's thinking. There has to be some pragmatism, especially when you've players missing.

11. Dark Metal

Dark Metal TIA New Signing

Phill is still ill, so Klopp says it will be close if he'll be fit.

Great, going to be one of those games I think.

redfanman likes this.
  12. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

From the presser:

Mané out for the season.

Lallana still out.

Hendo still out.

Phil doubtful, not in training.

This is going to be a very tough weekend.

13. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

Would change formation due to our injuries. We can't afford to loose . We need at least a pt. this is why Wednesday was such a fuck up and an absolute disaster. I'd go for :-

4-4-2 diamond

Mignolet
    Clyne
    Matip
    Lovren
    Moreno
    Milner
    Can
    Wjinaldum
    Firmino
    Sturridge
    Origi

14. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

Rory smith has it absolutely bang on:-

Think 74 points definitely gets fourth. Liverpool would need 5 wins from 7 games. Arsenal/United 7(ish) from 9. Of all of those...

...given Liverpool's injuries & United's fixtures, you'd have to say Arsenal are the most likely to cobble that sort of run together.

Hope in your heart and redfanman like this.
  15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Arsenal has the hardest run in, if we manage to scrape a win v's Stoke.. Get Hendo, Lallana, Sturridge, Coutinho back fit during the week, we will be alright.. Need our players back and need to win by any costs tomorrow.

redfanman and Jase like this.
  16. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

If Coutinho doesn't make it then I feel Moreno must play either as wing-back with the 3 CB's or left wing if we stick with a back 4. We are going to be seriously short of creativity so at least Moreno will offer a bit of pace as an outlet. Not ideal but the options are few.
    If we go with the 3 CB's then that gives the option of moving Milner into midfield or even in place of Mane to supply crosses.
    The 3 CB option should work providing we don't go bearing gifts. Moreno and Clyne as wing-backs, 3 of Lucas, Can, Milner and Gini in the middle with Origi and Bobby up front. Bobby needs to turn up for this, far too many games where he's a peripheral figure.
    TAA, Sturridge, Grujic, probably Lucas, maybe Ojo from the bench. A win here would put a lot of pressure on Arsenal at Palace, time for this team to show some character against this sort of opposition.

17. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

d. Grujic offers more going forward than Lucas. Can can protect the back 4 and Grujic can bang in a long range winner.

Iluvatar likes this.
  18. yiannos33

yiannos33 TIA Reserve Team

This is going to be a tougher game than Bournemouth. If Coutinho doesn't play I fear the worse. Do we bring Moreno at left back and play
    Milner in his natural position? Or do we bring one of our youngsters in midfield. I think Sturridge is too early to start a game. We can bring him in for the last 30 minutes.
    If we can get at least a point,then we have a week before our next game.
    Hopefully we have at least one or two injured players back.
    Last game we looked knackered after the 80th minute.
    But then again we might surprise everyone and smash them 0-3.

19. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

Lucas isn't in the team for what he offers going forward. Lucas is a better defensive mid than Can so Can would be wasted there. Lucas can head the winner from a corner like he did at Plymouth as opposed to Grujic not banging in any long range winners.
    Lucas has been as good as anyone in a red shirt the last 2 matches and hasn't put a foot wrong. I'd have thought Woodburn for Firmino would be a better shout.

20. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I expect nothing from this game with the first team that deeply messed up. Hopefully our lads on the pitch Saturday will somehow be able to scrape to victory though. Fingers crossed.

21. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

You really need to change your name dude...

I think;

Sad Black Hole of Doom in your Swinging Brick for a Heart :D
    "Pessimism and worry, two apt concepts"

Livvy likes this.
  22. Hope in your heart

You're wrong: read my post again. :-)

Lowton_Red, Iluvatar and redfanman like this.
  23. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Such a backhanded use of "Hope" ... Ok you win on a technicality..

24. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

What would you call someone that called our manager a shithouse and told him to fuck off?

ptt, Chewbazza, Prolix and 4 others like this.
  25. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Wasnt it loser last time?

26. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

27. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

28. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

29. Hope in your heart

ptt, Maria, Iluvatar and 3 others like this.
  30. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Well, all good :-). but for me...there is not so much difference between these kind of posts...

There were some more but i prefer to ignore that...

Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.