Predictions for the 2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Joe Ware, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Who will be Liverpool's top scorer in the 2016-2017 season?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2016.
  1. Daniel Sturridge

36.4%
  2. Divock Origi

46.5%
  3. Roberto Firmino

7.8%
  4. Philippe Coutinho

0.8%
  5. Sadio Mane

7.0%
  6. Georginio Wijnaldum

0.8%
  7. Adam Lallana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jordan Henderson

0.8%
  1. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Use this thread to put down & discuss all predictions for the coming season.
    For starters, mine are as follows:

1. We hit top 4 in the league.
    2. We win the FA or League Cup.
    3. Mane scores at least a dozen goals.
    4. Matip scores at least 5 goals.
    5. Can gets at least a dozen yellow cards.
    6. Klavan attains cult hero status.

D'realdeal likes this.
  2. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Origi and Can to push on this season and just hoping Sturridge will stay fit also should be more lethal in attacking midfield so overall exciting forward play,that just leaves the defence and although we still have Moreno we definitely look better back there,mignolet is mignolet so keeping fingers crossed for him till karius comes back from injury,can't wait:well done:

3. Tom Couch

Tom Couch New Member

SirBillShankly likes this.
  4. Tom Couch

Tom Couch New Member

I couldn't agree more!

Scott Jones likes this.
  5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Agree with a lot of Joe's predictions tbh, but I'll try and add different ones rather than repeat them.

1 - we'll be either the league's top-scorers or the runners-up for goals.
    2 - Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge will all hit double-figures
    3 - related - Sturridge is able to stay fit for most of the season
    4 - at least one of our new signings will get a friendly slap in the face from Klopp in the opening three matches
    5 - we'll still be moaning about sloppy goals conceded from set-pieces
    6 - we'll still be moaning about the poor quality of our own set-pieces

Joshua179, CaptnJelen and Joe Ware like this.
  6. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

We're gonna win the league. Why? because Arsenal will just drop off the perch. Leicester will struggle to get 10th. Tottenham will be devastated at how close they got and reenact their inferiority complex. Conte, Mourinho and Guardiola will struggle in their new teams and new leagues. So that leaves us battling our own insecurities for top spot.

Only prediction that matters :celebrating:

darkvoid, Mada, captain cook and 2 others like this.
  7. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I didn't do terribly with my predictions last time out, but this season surely is the most unpredictable ever and we still don't know if any more players are incoming.

So for that reason, I'll cowardly abstain from predicting any specifics.

8. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

It'll be good fun.

Matip and Klavan will be the main centre back duo by the end of the season.

9. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Yeah the only thing we can be almost sure of. For the rest, it's impossible to deliver any realistic prediction. We could finish on a place ranging from 1 to 8 or worse, and we could win three trophies or none at all... everything is possible.

But there will be some really good fun coming up here and then.

norwegian wood and Mada like this.
  10. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

The way we knocked in goals for fun the last few months of the season + the signings of Mane and Wijnaldum plus the return to fitness of Sturridge and Ings added to the development of Divock point to a very exciting season.

Defensively Klavan looks like a rock and Matip looks like Hansen MKII. If Karius finds his feet and we get a decent LB I will feel very confident of a top 4 finish.

Whatever happens, we will improve on last season's finish.

Livvy and Scott Jones like this.
  11. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

We are going to win the league, my hope in every single bloody season (well except the Hodgson season), but this time I have higher hopes and possibly even expected us to challenge for it at the very least. Why not? United is getting used to the manager with new centre half and with all that hype and money spent, they will have a big burden on their shoulders to get a very, very good start to the season. Man City, similar case. Arsenal didn't do much to strengthen their defence other than that Xhaka fella, Pochettino will always be Pochettino's team, we know what they are all about and they had punched way above their weight. Same can be said about Leicester, punched extremely high over their weight. The one thing Pochettino and Ranieri has this season that's in common that they don't last season is to have to play the best team in midweek. That will mean them being a bit stretched.

The only team that could be in our same position is Conte's team. In their pre-season game against us, they played exactly like how Italy would play in major competition. Soaking up the pressure and hitting us on a break. But that can only happen in a handful of games, they will face teams that sit back more than attacking them. So that's another level of education that Conte has to learn other than Premier League referees are very lenient

With all that said, it does look like we should have the upper hand. So I do expect us to challenge for the title. Sturridge to be our top scorer and league one as well, and Origi came in second just like the Suarez-Sturridge combo.

12. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I wonder if Origi will end up as the main man up front? I have a feeling he might.

13. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

It is nice to have a player like Origi in terms of not worrying about losing Sturridge through injury and feeling confident he can step up,must be another Origi in that French league worst 11 as what we've got is a genuine goal threat in him,still love Sturridge though and also good to have serious competition for him to keep him on his toes

14. Zinedine Biscan

I suspect not this season, though in another 12 months perhaps. We'll know by then if Sturridge can last a season under Klopp. If he can't do it this year playing once a week and with a full preseason under his belt, then he never will.

Livvy likes this.
  15. RazvanLFC

RazvanLFC http://bettinggeek.blogspot.de

Too much to hope Arsene will finally finish out of the top 4? If yes then 5th place is ours...

16. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

I agree Eddie.

We have as much chance of winning as any of the other teams. All the top 6 teams have things going for them and against them as regards winning the league or even finishing in the top 4.

I see the top 6 teams being:

Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Man U
    Man City

SPURS
    I think Spurs will really struggle. Their squad is OK...but not great. They will have the CL to distract them before Christmas and likely the Europa League (or CL) in the new year. They simply don't have the strength in depth or total quality to compete on both fronts. Last season made them seem better than they really are due to everyone else having a poor season also. Let's not forget that their "successful" season under Pochettino was worse than their "failure" season under AVB.

MAN U
    Not a cohesive team and full of weaknesses still. Some very good players but also a lot of "best days behind them" type of players. Many are really not suited to the Mourinho style either - that takes time to restructure AND to train for. I don't really think their squad will be any better than ours once the transfer window has closed. Thursday night football via the Europa League will distract them also

MAN CITY
    As with Man U, a new manager and a squad not really used to his type of play and that will need more restructuring than can be undertaken in one transfer window. Yes - they have some really good players...but they also have quite a few weak areas, especially in defense. You don't win the league if you are poor defensively. They also have CL participation to deal with.

ARSENAL
    Good squad, stability, balance, no issues with new manager etc. Xhaka likely a good addition but all their flair players are VERY injury prone and Arsenal always seem to mange to choke at some stage. Will likely be involved in the CL both sides of Christmas to further stretch them. Also likely to be Wenger's last season with them and we all know how players react when they know a change of manager is looming....and it isn't to go out and win the league.

CHELSEA
    Very good squad they will have assembled by the time the window closes. Good balance too and perhaps no real weaknesses anywhere. Like us, they have no European distractions so can totally focus on the league. Unlike us, they have a new manager and whilst I expect them to be rock solid defensively, I really think they make struggle with goals. Conte has his approach but he has zero experience of the Premier League and it is a tough proposition. Very very tricky to come in fresh and win the league. I suspect they will do well, but will ultimately be too defensively minded to actually win the league this season.

LIVERPOOL
    Klopp is settled, we have a good and well balanced team now. Perhaps not the best out there and there are perhaps also better players compared to all our players on a one-on-one comparison...but as a team (core of 16 players) - that is a harder one to call against us. We also have no European participation to worry about so we can focus on the league and train, train train. My major concern is injuries - we seem to collect more than our fair share. That can really hurt us if we lose too many players at the same time and/or for too long. But I do think we will do very well and on balance, we are in no worse shape than any of the five teams above.

So what does that mean in terms of predictions. I think Spurs are a shoe-in to finish outside the Top 4. I think Liverpool and Chelsea are a shoe-in to finish inside the top 4 but perhaps both teams will fall short of the ultimate prize. Man City will almost certainly be in the top 4 - they are simply too good despite their issues as highlighted above. So then its Arsenal vs ManU for the final top 4 slot. Will Arsenal implode and hand it to ManU, or if they can keep it together (and history is on their side in that regard) and lock ManU out for another season. I hope so and I think so. I really do think ManU have the most "negatives" of the 6 teams above in addition to Spurs and will therefore come up short.

CaptnJelen, Livvy, Mada and 2 others like this.
  17. Joe Ware

I really hope you're right. To see Man U finish outside top 4 and us to finish above them would be almost as good as us winning the title for me.
    Just think how great it would be if they missed out on all their lovely loot from Adidas by failing to qualify for the CL for 2 seasons running!
    One of my Utd supporting friends has offered me a £100 bet that they will finish above us this season - I am increasingly inclined to take it up.

18. lfc.eddie

That will be the biggest mistake you will ever do as a supporter, coming from an avid gambler. To do that, you've ultimate jinxed your own team. Nothing good ever comes out from being as cocky as the other club and especially taking bet against another friend on whose club comes on top. It usually never ends well for Liverpool fan. Trust me, I know a thing or two about luck, superstition in gambling... :J

The one thing I know about Mourinho is his ability to bring the club back to their competitive nature for the first season. He will then proceed to win something the following season, chances are they might win the league. The third season is where he will crash as he would have lost his way to motivate his players after they have won the league. They would all feel worn out and his lectures will fall on deaf ears. So let's not get ahead of ourselves thinking United will falter, let's worry about how many teams we are going to demolish.

Joe Ware likes this.
  19. Joe Ware

Okay I won't then! I tend to err on the side of caution anyway and don't really do betting.
    It is definitely true that he tends to have a quick impact.

20. Zinedine Biscan

Always used to have the same bet (but for a tenner) with a CFC-supporting mate of mine. Can't remember who won the most, but it was about 50/50 for a long time, I think. Then the cowboys arrived at Anfield...

21. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

I will say this we will finish above Everton and Man U

22. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

While I'd love to see us win the league this year, I'm not sure we will. We will kick on, and we will end up in the Champions League spots, maybe runners up. And I predict we'll win one of the two cups, hopefully the FA Cup.

Origi will be top scorer this year, while Sturridge will hit his fair share of goals but maybe not as many in previous years.

Our new players will settle in perfectly. Grujic, Mané, Wijnaldum will give us a stronger midfield. Karius will claim the number 1 spot on his return from injury, while Matip and Klavan will give us more strength in defence than we've had since the days of Hyypia-Henchoz (or Hyypia-Carragher).

Can will grow as a player. Ings will be restricted to substitute or cup appearances. And Klopp will continue to integrate some of our younger lads such as Stewart, Ojo and Alexander-Arnold.

As for the rest of the league, as much as it sticks in my throat United will be champions. City 3rd, Chelsea 4th. Arsenal will fall back to 5th, Spurs 6th, West Ham 7th.

Down the bottom I see Hull being the first team relegated, quickly followed by Burnley and Swansea.

23. Not Worthy

Not Worthy Well-Known Member

As others have pointed out, there are a lot of variables at play with any number of the top teams; many that are evenly matched and capable of tripping each other up.

So, I'm guessing that the title is going to be won with a lowish points total (80-83 pts) with half a dozen or so within 12 points of that. Goal difference and magic-ing up a win from a drawing position here and there could have a big impact on final placings.

I see us improving at home this year and improving over the season; maybe up around the 40point mark. Turning draws into wins away from home (particularly in the second half of the season; from the Old Trafford game and after) I think will determine whether we gain a CL spot or not. Can see us getting to 70 points and being in the mix for those places and probably missing out. If we have a functioning, error-limited set of performances from the back 4 and goalie (s) I can see maybe 78 points and exciting times in April/May.

Whatever happens I don't want Chelsea or ManU to win the League. So, City to win it and Arsenal to finally miss out on CL places. West Ham for the cup and a desperate Arsenal for the Carling cup.

And that concludes the voting from the judges from Luxembourg !!!!

24. Hope in your heart

Funny how our fans always tend to see us bigger than we are. Fact is that we have a squad which finished eight last season, granted with a few semi-decent replacements coming in.

But going from 8th to 1st is a massive, massive leap. Yeah Leicester did it, but that's a one-off. And I think people make way too much out of the new-manager stuff. Pellegrini won the title in his first season if I'm not mistaken? Didn't Mancini do it as well (could be wrong on that one)? Mourinho did it at Chelsea first time as well, so it's not as if Guardiola, Mourinho or Conte, as the world-class managers they are, couldn't do it in their first season with their new clubs, especially with the stunning quality of players they dispose of, not even starting to say anything about the money for new incoming players...

Fact is that we are very raw outsiders for a top four place, never mind babbling about the title. Hopefully it will go better than expected for us though, which is not out of the question, given one point going in our favour: time between games.

But for me the clear title favourites for next season are Chelsea, because they have the same luxury than us (time between games), with a far better squad in terms of individual quality. Yeah I know, they finished beneath us last season, but that was an exception for them, whereas we have done it repeatedly since Rafa was sacked.

And going by the way they played in that friendly against us, Conte will know how to blend these talents into a well-oiled unit. Will he be able to let the creative players enjoy a bit more freedom against lesser gifted teams though (as this seems to be one possible downfall highlighted in here)? Time will tell, but it's not as if he hadn't already played against teams which go out all tactical and defensive, and didn't know how to unlock them. He saw a lot of that in Serie A with Juve.

The blue and red mancs and Arsenal must be considered as clear favourites for the rest of the top four spots, with Tottenham, Leicester (unless they implode completely) and possibly West Ham outsiders alongside us.

And then there could be some surprise teams. Southampton, Everton and a few others. Will be interesting for sure.

25. lfc.eddie

Mancini won the league in his third season mate. He got them to the Champs League in his first. Pellegrini won the league in his first try....

26. Hope in your heart

Ah thanks mate, yeah forget that one then.

27. se7ensshirt

se7ensshirt Active Member

I've had a similar bet with my cousin these past 25 years, I'm well out of pocket. But it's a tradition now, and I'm feeling very confident this season.

28. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I agree. It's almost certainly more hope of best case for us and worst case for everyone else.
    We're perfectly capable of beating any team on our day, so anything is possible for us, however you can be sure that the other teams in contention will feel they can win the league or a cup.

I think for bottom line expectation, I would like improvements across the board. More goals scored, less goals conceded and more points. That should translate to a higher league position. I just don't know how high.

RobLFC and Hope in your heart like this.
  29. lfc.eddie

@Hope in your heart, there are a lot of people going into this season feeling very positive, and believe it or not, even with that post I made, I am not one of them. But should I be expecting us to do what I posted? For damn sure. This is all about what I wish to see, I hope to happen and wanting our team to do in each and every season. I don't expect them to roll over and hope for the best. We don't pay this new manager bucket loads of money for hope. This is where I feel, and without any midweek European games, should put us in a better position to get into the mix.

If Klopp can't get us back into contention this coming season, and this is going to be quite an open season as well, then I don't know if we will ever get there. So for me, if we don't do it this season, I will stop believing in us getting back into our glory days. I would then look at our club as just another has been, which I will still support, but more because of the affinity than believing that there is something great that is about to happen.

30. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Well, in a season that started with Wenger buying (albeit a young) centre back, an expensive central midfielder and looking to buy an even more expensive striker and Eddie (of all people!) being quietly, no, scratch that, any kind of optimistic, anything can happen, so I'm going with Liverpool either being relegated or winning the title. I'm not sure which extreme our team is closer to at the moment, to be honest! lol It won't be boring, that's for sure. It's a shame that we don't have someone like Torres, Suarez or Gerrard in his prime, i.e. a true world class player able to drag our team forward when it's not our day but I hope that blond bloke in the dugout with the glasses has that effect instead.

Livvy likes this.