Predictions for the 2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Joe Ware, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Who will be Liverpool's top scorer in the 2016-2017 season?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2016.
  1. Daniel Sturridge

36.4%
  2. Divock Origi

46.5%
  3. Roberto Firmino

7.8%
  4. Philippe Coutinho

0.8%
  5. Sadio Mane

7.0%
  6. Georginio Wijnaldum

0.8%
  7. Adam Lallana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jordan Henderson

0.8%
  1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

What makes you think this ? I seriously think Danny is going to up his game this season as he is being carefully managed this time and he is desperate to prove himself. Also, where can he possibly go, maybe abroad, but I can't see a top EPL club take him, he has already done the rounds at Man City and Chelsea respectively. I can't see him wanting to play for clubs like Stoke, Sunderland or Crystal Palace etc. Also, with his injury record, it is a big risk for the buyer. You see my point.

LaurazRed and Livvy like this.
  2. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

Top 4 for us if Karius, Matip and Klavan settle quickly. I have a feeling Klavan will be out best summer addition too. Biggest disapointment is the Walking Dead extra is still the only left back in the squad. Can also see the Klopp/Sturridge relationship go further down the pan. The players ego will become an issue and I dont see Jurgen mollycoddling him this season nor will he put up with him deciding if and when he is fit to play either.
    Origi, Mane and Firmino will score the goals while Sturridge stews and puts in a transfer request in January.
    Much as I hate to say it because they are a match made in hell but Jose and the Mancs will finish top of the pile.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  3. LFCRisingAgain

LFCRisingAgain Banned Users

We were better than 6th the last 4 months of last season. 29 points in the last 16 games, same as the Mancs even with playing through them to the maximum number of Europa games. And the last two losses were with Skrtel playing in defense.

Get through the diabolical first 5 games in good shape and who knows what could happen.

Maria likes this.
  4. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

They equalised in the 59 minute and and dominated the 2nd half and should have won the game.
    If that's what you consider managing to salvage a point then Hmmmm ok

5. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

The Champions League is reportedly set to be reformed from the 2018/19 season onwards, with changes to qualification rules for the top four leagues in Europe.

Under a proposed new qualification format, the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga could all be guaranteed four clubs qualifying automatically every season.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/09/champ...gue-clubs-every-season-6057734/#ixzz4HGrfds5m

6. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

I won't predict places or points.
    Just several different ideas, based on luck :-)

1. Lovren to be chosen in EPL team of the season.
    2. Lallana will have his best season in a red shirt.
    3. Henderson to prove the doubters wrong once again and will have a very strong season.
    4. Leicester will fail in the group stage of the Champions League.
    5. Hull, Burnley and Wattford going down.
    6. Newcastle, Villa and Norwich coming back in the top flight.
    7. Player of the season - Hazard.
    8. Top goalscorer - Aguero
    9. First manager in EPL to be sacked - Mazzarri

7. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

I like a lot of your Ideas, except, Hull, they will win the EPL this season. :celebrating:..:J

Alright Now and MarcusBerglund like this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Villa won't come up, and not convinced Watford will go down. Reckon we'll see either Moyes or Smooth Like Alan in the Championship next season.

9. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

I do see your point, but that is also exactly my point. It's his injury record that will see him sold. Klopp will get frustrated with not being able to use Sturridge I reckon, and as we still have 3 other top class strikers in Origi, Firmino and Ings (and possibly Benteke still if nobody meets our asking price before the end of this window), there are more than enough options for a single strikers spot at the head of a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1.

Why keep someone on the books that spends more time on the treatment table than he does on the pitch? Yes, Danny is a special player, and that's the reason we don't lambast him the same way we did with Harry Kewell over his injuriy issues, but eventually head has to rule over heart, and keeping a player that is constantly injured just doesn't make sense.

Maria likes this.
  10. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Rafa needs to sort things out at Newcastle, and quickly, or they won't be coming back up either, and I'd hate to see that. As for who'll be going down, I reckon Burnley will go back down, along with Hull possibly and after another summer of selling off their best talent (Mane and Wanyama) we could see Southampton struggling this year.

11. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Here is Jürgen's prediction for the season. :-)

Strong finish the goal for Jürgen Klopp in his long-game aims at Liverpool

Arsenal away from home amounts to one of the more difficult opening weekend challenges of the new season, but Jürgen Klopp is not complaining. Like everyone else in the Premier League he would like to get off to a winning start, though if it does not happen he is prepared to be philosophical about it.

“In my opinion, the best way to win the league is to start off perfect, be fantastic in the middle then have a world‑class finish,” he says. “That’s a great strategy, but the trouble is everyone else thinks that way in August. Once the season gets going things become a little different.

“All I know is that there are different ways to be successful. In 2012 in Germany we had a bad start, but we ended up champions with a record points total. There’s not just one way and it is the same for everybody. We cannot change the fixtures, if you want to succeed you have to beat all your opponents, or as many of them as possible.

“This is an important part of the season but what happens during the season is more important than making a flying start. The vital thing is to be in the race in the final third, to give yourself a chance of doing something.”

The flaw in that theory is that there were several teams with a chance of doing something towards the end of last season, yet none of them proved able to catch Leicester. There is something to be said, surely, for running the race from the front. “Leicester did not have that mentality from the start, it developed as they went along,” Klopp argues.

“They weren’t too confident at the beginning but then they became more and more confident. I remember last season we beat them at home and I was having a drink with Claudio Ranieri afterwards. It was Boxing Day and we had just knocked them off the top of the table, but I thought they could still be champions and said so. Claudio said: ‘Stop talking like that, there’s no chance.’ But less than a month later they were back on top and this time they believed in themselves. That’s how it is.”

The Liverpool manager seems to have been keeping an eye on the Foxes ever since. “Leicester could win it again, it is possible,” he claims. “They have kept most of their players and signed Ahmed Musa, and he is the perfect player for their system. He is a really quick boy. If you think of him and Jamie Vardy together, they can run and everybody knows Leicester’s biggest strength is counterattacking.”

The big advantage Leicester had last season was a streamlined fixture list, however. This time they will have the Champions League to contend with, and it is Liverpool who find themselves with no European distractions. “We need to be in Europe,” Klopp says.

“There is nothing positive from this club’s point of view about not being involved in Europe, absolutely nothing, though I agree that it was a big advantage for Leicester. They had three weeks holiday during the season. I remember reading that Ranieri gave them a week off when we had about four games coming up. It was unbelievable, but I do not want to use Europe as an excuse for Liverpool. We didn’t lose all of our games the weekend after playing in the Europa League, there were only one or two occasions when it was too hard, like playing Villarreal on the Thursday then Swansea at Sunday lunchtime. That was a big joke.”

Liverpool have signed seven new players over summer, all brought in early, and are trying to trim the squad a little before the season starts. “We have six strikers,” Klopp explains. “We could keep them all, but it is too many. You cannot have unlimited options because players would not get enough games. You have to make decisions. We need to have a smaller number, a more reasonable range of options. We won’t die if we don’t sell anyone, but it would be better if everyone was getting a game.”

That consideration apart, Klopp will be glad when the window closes. His observation that “£100m” in the wake of Paul Pogba’s move to Manchester United was a lot to spend on one player resulted in a week of none too subtle sniping from José Mourinho. “I don’t believe a huge price on a player’s back makes him any more confident,” he says. “And I would also worry that such an expensive player might get injured and leave a big hole in the team.”

Should Klopp share a post-match drink with the like-minded Arsène Wenger at the Emirates on Sunday afternoon, the conversation might quickly turn to the sheer brass neck of a manager who appears to be getting away with the suggestion that breaking the world transfer record for a player allowed to leave for nothing a few years earlier and enriching his agent by around £20m in the process is something only big clubs would understand.

“At this time of year all everyone wants to read about is transfers,” Klopp says. “I can understand that, I even do it myself. If the story is about another club I think: ‘Oh, that’s interesting.’ If the story is about us then I know it is bullshit. But just to be clear, I am absolutely not interested in what other clubs are spending. I don’t want to criticise what they are doing, I don’t want to criticise the market, there is no point. Everyone has their own way of working, and mine is to focus on my own club and not worry too much about the others.

“We trust in the players we have and I am as sure as I can be that we will be successful. We are a team with a chance and we have got to go for everything, but I know this league a little better now. I might think Liverpool can challenge for the title, I might even say that, but there are at least 17 teams in the division who won’t believe it. They’ll say: ‘Come on then, try and break us down.’ All I can look for is improvement. I do believe we will be stronger than last season but now we have to show it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...verpool-premier-league-football-title-success

12. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

Aftonbladet (Swedens largest newspaper) let their sport journalists give their presictions of the Premier League 2016/2017.

One journo has Liverpool in top 5, and he explains it by predicting with his heart. He hates 'plastic' City and Chelsea...

PETER WENNMAN
    1. United
    2. Chelsea
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. West Ham

JENNIFER WEGERUP
    1. Chelsea
    2. United
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Tottenham

ERIK NIVA
    1. City
    2. United
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Tottenham

ROBERT LAUL
    1. United
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Leicester
    5. City

SIMON BANK
    1. City
    2. United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Tottenham

Scott Jones likes this.
  13. Dortmund fan

Well, United have Ibra, Pogba, Mkhi now. If they are not selfish they could build a strong team together with the other players. And Mourinho is usually successful in his first season at a club.

But Citeh are strong as well, they have Guardiola and Gündogan now.

It's hard to win the PL, Klopp should try go get a new LB and to build a strong midfield. He also should try to develop Ojo and Grujic to become main squad players this season.

If Matip and Sturridge can stay fit top 4 is probably possible.

But my prediction is still the same (7th) because I don't see any improvements of the midfield and LB (excepted the game against Barcelona when Lallana played as midfielder and Millner as LB, that worked perfectly).

The connection Mane - Origi works good, Jürgen should often play them together then.

Our goalkeepers? I don't know, the situation isn't really clear. Mignolet is fit and Karius is injured. It seems like Mignolet is no.1 this year (the first half of the season).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  14. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

Liverpool 1st
    Spurs 2nd
    Man City3rd
    W.Ham 4th
    Arsenal 5th
    Man Utd 6th
    Chelsea 7th
    Everton 8th
    Leicester 9th
    Saints 10th

Relegated. Hull, Burnley, one from Watford/Swansea/Sunderland

I don't repect the journalists who get it horribly wrong every year. I think West Ham will do well. The new managers will struggle, never seen much from Pepe . always under-performed at Bayern...Conte will be defensive, but I think their team are a long way off. Utd and Arsenal I think will be distracted in Europe and injuries will affect who has the best shot. We have the brain, the eye and Jurgen...plus our own pep. our improvements are their to see. Watched the Man City away game yesterday - we are a much better outfit. Need to get that bet on soon!!
    We will have the best team, but not the EPL top scorer - Aguero (if he stays fit) Origi to just shade Firmino and Mane for the goals

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  15. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

@ptt The best of luck to you and us. God I'd love it to happen!

Scott Jones likes this.
  16. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

@Maria Whilst I agree with you in the main about Sturridge I still have major concerns about his fitness and whether he is able to sustain his form and improve his injury record. He's already missing the start of this season. He's the most natural finisher at the club but this season really is make or break for him.

Maria likes this.
  17. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

My prediction
    1. Chelsea
    2. United
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool
    7. West Ham

18. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

What I am worried about is, if he goes to another club and he then goes on to score another whole load of goals. He is such a talented striker, he is world class when is 100% fit. I hope the new fitness regime he has to do will keep him in good stead for this season, but the positive is, at least we will have less games this season, hopefully less injuries.

Livvy likes this.
  19. LFCRisingAgain

Didn't Chelsea finish 10th last year and haven't they only added a midfield destroyer? Don't get why everyone is all fired up about them.

I think Man U is overrated, but I can at least understand why they are.

20. LFCRisingAgain

Can't understand this. LFC was a better team than that the last 4 months of last season. Why do you think they've gotten worse?

21. Dortmund fan

Just my opinion.

I don't see any improvements regarding the LB and goalkeeper positions in comparison with last season. There are still the same mistakes from Moreno and Mignolet. That costs us goals, many goals...

22. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Hence why Milner and Karius are preferred and we will likely sign a further LB. Migs and Moreno are the understudies. So there is an improvement.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  23. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Cobwebs off so now were going and for me the talk of arsenals demise does seem harsh on us as I'm not sure what they could have done about our goals which were terrific,our play was pretty good apart from the usual suspects but some impressive signs as well and we probably got more out of our first game as in a real test than others did,a few tweaks and an additional left back and I reckon we are dangerous to play against no matter who we play:well done:

24. LFCRisingAgain

Doesn't really answer the question. Moreno and Mignolet were in the team last year and LFC was dynamic in the back half of the season, and average defensively and got 29 points from the last 16 games despite playing backups half the time in the last 6 weeks.

That's pretty much a 70 point pace. 70 points is not gonna finish 7th. If LFC has improved at all, they'll be contenders. People getting lost in the table and forgetting how it got that way. After the Microphone Head Miracle, LFC was -3 in goal difference. The team in May was not the same team as the first 5 months of the season.

25. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Not that I am defending that samurai wannabe, but didn't both of our goals in the second half comes from the right side of the pitch? One was Oxlade Chamberlain made Clyne, Lallana and Henderson looked like a school boy, while the other was a free kick from a foul from Clyne?

inaiq likes this.
  26. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

I am going to defend him, not just because i like his hair style.
    I am going to be Moreno's supporter on TIA.

All derogatory remarks toward Moreno, or his hair style, I will post a rebuttal... I am ready... I am watching the "Moreno thread" as of today.

Livvy and darkvoid like this.
  27. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

We don't know whether the new keeper is better than Migs yet, so that position remains a worry. Migs is not good enough.

Centre back is ok, we obviously desperately need that left back. If we play the season with Moreno or an out of position Milner, it will undermine our entire defence.

We still need a DM. Can is someone you'd play alongside them, roving a bit more. Can isn't the ideal DM and Henderson is not the level we need.

A season with Hendo in CM, Migs in goal and Moreno at left back would undermine our decent centre backs and good attackers.

ubermick likes this.
  28. Toro

Toro Florida Red

Here are my predictions for the 2016-17 Premier League

1. Liverpool - Hooray!
    2. ???
    20. Manchester United

Joe Ware likes this.
  29. D'realdeal

D'realdeal Member

Agree with you regarding needing a DM don't believe at this stage Hendo or Can can fill that role unless either make the step up during the season is unsure.
    Taking everything into consideration the win has set us up well to get 6+ points in the first three away games. Get these and it will be really positive, which we should be given the pre season is supposed to have us at peak fitness now and others are resting players or talking about squads been only 70%.
    I do find all this talk about not been fit at the start of the league crazy given these guys are surrounded by the best coaches and trainers possible. Its not as if these lads go to preseason three stone overweight.

Arsenal playing without Ko rest me was a disgrace. Maybe Wenger thought they could manage without him.

Prediction wise still confident of top 4.

Will Mane be away for African Cup football in January

30. tommypress

tommypress New Member

Origi is great. The thing to see is if how many matches he can start. Firmino will get more playing minutes for sure.