Predictions for the 2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Joe Ware, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Who will be Liverpool's top scorer in the 2016-2017 season?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2016.
  1. Daniel Sturridge

36.4%
  2. Divock Origi

46.5%
  3. Roberto Firmino

7.8%
  4. Philippe Coutinho

0.8%
  5. Sadio Mane

7.0%
  6. Georginio Wijnaldum

0.8%
  7. Adam Lallana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jordan Henderson

0.8%
  1. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

0 votes for Lallana?

2. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Why don't you give him yours - stop him feeling lonely. He's made a good start after all.

inaiq likes this.
  3. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

It is good to see we have so many to choose from, poor Lallana...;-)

4. EmerLabhran

EmerLabhran New Member

1. I predict we will finish 4th and Arsenal will be 5th.

2. Chelsea will win the league.

3. I chose Sturridge as our top scorer on the positive vibes that he stays healthy. Even if Firmino grabs a number of games in front of him in the false 9, nobody is scoring more than Sturridge if healthy. He's only displayed 1 form when healthy at this club and it is of the prolific scoring variety.

4. Grujic will make a number of starting XI appearances by the end of the campaign. I really see the quality in this kid to become a star in a few years.

5. We will win one of the cups.

5. Joe Ware

If we do a double over the red mancs, the bitters and the chavs then I will regard this as a successful season regardless of where we finish in the table.

Although we would probably be looking at winning the title if we ended up doing that!

6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Not necessarily, there are 16 others you need to beat. When did we adopt such an Everton mindset?

7. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

Hi everyone, new subscriber here. Firstly I’d like to say that whatever I’m about to comment on is my opinion as an LFC fan and everyone can agree to disagree but please mark this post for end of season reference. When the fixtures for the 16/17 season were released, everyone was commenting on how difficult LFC’s fixtures are but I wasn’t too concerned because the top clubs are not a problem for LFC…it’s the smaller clubs that give them hell. LFC are going to have a repeat of the 2015/2016 season this year even though there’s only domestic competitions to concentrate on.

There was sufficient time before this season started to address problem areas i.e. GK, LB, CB, RB, LM, RM, ST. Main area of concern is the LB position. How Klopp has not yet addressed this area by sticking with Moreno is mind-boggling and adding insult to injury, Milner has been filling in at LB during pre-season. How is it that a midfielder with 11 assists and 5 goals during last season is seen as a potential LB solution??? With the transfer window still open, there’s time to sort out the problem but if ignored, this area of defence will be our ‘achilles heel’ for the season.

At right back, Clyne is good in offence but fair in defence/tackling. No real complaints here but I feel another RB signing would have been good for competition.

Lovren at CB for me is still doubtful even though he has improved under Klopp. We needed at least one world class signing here and for me Matip and Klavan are not.

In midfield there’s plenty of inconsistent and underperforming players – Henderson, Lallana, Lucas and Markovic to name a few are just not good enough.

Upfront, with Sturridge’s consistent injuries, we still don’t have a 20+ goals per season forward.

Can’t assess GK position yet due to Karius’ injury but hopefully he’ll prove to be our permanent number one after looking at his performance in the bundesliga.

I deliberately excluded assessing other players because we can’t rely on our top players to play every match and besides, what happens when they pick up injuries or are rested?

This squad is still desperately lacking in depth as we saw last season and in pre-season against Meinz. If Klopp is going to ignore problem areas in the squad, he could very well end up battling it out in the bottom half of the table. It’s going to take him years to build an in-depth squad capable of winning the premier league and competing in Europe at the same time and these days, football club owners don’t give their managers that much amount of time to win titles. Adding to that, LFC don’t have the best transfer committee in the game as we’ve seen far too much money wasted on ‘flops’ in the past decade.

To sum up, we currently have a squad that will perform just like last season - injury ravaged, defensively clueless and inconsistent overall.

(I really do hope I’m proven to be wrong…)

8. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Hi, welcome to this forum. Don't agree with everything you write there, but it's nonetheless a well-written post. Don't you think that having one full week in-between most of our matches could be a bonus for us this season, and a significant difference when compared with last?

9. Joe Ware

What a pessimistic post.
    I can officially confirm that you will be proven wrong.

Eintrachtfan, Chewbazza and inaiq like this.
  10. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

Hi. I don't want to be negative but it's just how I see things going this year after witnessing our recent performances. Having only domestic competitions to play has it's advantages as we've seen with Leicester last season which I don't believe they will repeat this time round though. My concern is that besides our top performers, the rest of the squad is lacking in terms of hunger and creativity. I've mentioned the names in my post and these players are just not good enough. Frequent injuries are also apparent since Klopp's arrival and I'm not sure what to make of that as I've been reading that his 'high intensity' way of training is the cause. We also don't have a winter break like the other leagues so it's a cause for concern with the way our players are picking up injuries.

11. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Was it the bit about us ending up battling in the bottom half of the table if we don't replace Moreno? Is he Garth Crooks?

inaiq likes this.
  12. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

Noted. Let's see how the season goes.

13. Joe Ware

Pretty much all of it I'm afraid!
    I don't mind constructive critical discussion of where we are but a lot of that is just plain wrong.
    Why be so pessimistic when (okay I know it's only the first game) we've just won against Arsenal at the Emirates? A team we haven't won against since the 2013/2014 season and at a stadium we haven't won at since 2011/2012.

Chewbazza, Livvy, inaiq and 1 other person like this.
  14. inaiq

Welcome and an interesting perspective. I feel you are looking at "The glass half empty and not half full", It is after all only one game into the season, a much stronger squad with a manager who has a better pedigree in football then the previous one. Also 2 cup finals last season, not too bad.
    Solid building blocks?

15. inaiq

Maybe this will help with your perspective,

The EPL injury table today shows LFC -8, Ars -7, CP -7, Wham -7, Eve -6 ...
    http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

16. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Is optimism something that you're just vaguely aware of?

17. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

True but reality is do we have the depth in the squad to maintain good results and carry us through the season?

18. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

Regarding the opening game, ask yourself if Arsenal had a full strength squad would we have got the same result or been on the receiving end? Take nothing away from the players, they were superb and I hope they can pull out these performances every game but look at how easily and quickly we conceded the second and third goals. Our defence were looking really outpaced and clueless.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  19. Joe Ware

One thing I am pretty sure of is that we will not have one stand out leading goalscorer like most other teams have e.g. Aguero for City, Kane for Spurs, Defoe for Sunderland etc.
    It seems to be a theme spreading across the last two seasons that the scoring burden has been quite evenly spread out.
    I do think that this is an inherent strength for us as we aren't dependent on one particular player who could get injured and leave us in a mess.
    The Arsenal game was quite a good example of this with 3 players on the scoresheet.

Chewbazza and inaiq like this.
  20. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Something telling me arsenal and spurs will struggle to repeat what they did last season as with Leicester,fighting for forth is where I see us and it's not that unrealistic a target,bit of luck with injuries and goals with turmoil at the said London clubs so forth for me for us.

21. Joe Ware

Yes - in my opinion our squad depth has actually improved overall, at least in term of quality. We played 15 Europa League games last season and even if we reach the finals of both of the domestic cups then we will only be playing about 50-52 games (around 10 less than last season, depending on replays).

We have released/loaned/sold 10 players who played a role of some significance last season and brought 7 in so far, all of whom look like being an substantial upgrade on the equivalents who have left.

Examples below:

Ibe sold - replaced by Mane - significant upgrade
    Skrtel sold - replaced by Klavan & Matip - significant upgrade
    Allen sold - replaced by Wijnaldum & Grujic - definitely an upgrade, perhaps not a huge upgrade
    Bogdan & Ward loaned - replaced by Manninger & Karius - significant upgrade

22. inaiq

I think we have more depth, in areas that were a problem last season and so we will maintain better results.

23. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  24. Joe Ware

Well obviously there is no way of knowing but the counter argument to that is that we didn't necessarily have our first choice defence either with Karius injured and Matip not yet sufficiently fit.
    I also think that Klopp would have gone with a less attack heavy midfield with perhaps Can in for Lallana etc.
    So I think the short answer is yes we could quite easily have got the same result against a full strength Arsenal.

25. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

I like your positivity. Let's hope for a solid season with cup wins and a top 3 finish if not the title.

26. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I agreed with most of what you said, but the like was for reassuring me that I'm not the only person who mentally thinks of TAA as Terence Trent-Darby lol

lfc.eddie and Chewbazza like this.
  27. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I think we will be champions.Why not?

We have brought in some fantastic players, players a bit under the radar and we have the best manager.Why can't we win the damn thing? I think we will improve no end defensively.Klavan and Matip are monstrous upgrades on Toure and Skrtel.In midfield I think we will see more goals, obviously It's one of the main reasons we've brought in Wijnaldum, hopefully Henderson is over his injury concerns and we will see him back to his best.Mane looks like an unbelievably good talent, has added pace, goals and unpredictability to our already unpredictable attack.Firmino has had a season to bed in and I expect him to kick on and be even better this season, Origi is bigger and stronger and will be more of a handful this season.If we can get consistent we can do it.

Add to all this we have arguably the best manager.Conte and Guardiola don't know our league, Arsenal are mentally weak and along with Spurs always fall short, Leicester can't repeat their miracle, I think United will be our nearest challenges.

1.Liverpool
    2.United
    3.Tottenham
    4.Chelsea

Walter Sobchak and Joe Ware like this.
  28. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Really? Only because Mourinho isn't there anymore?

29. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

Well said.
    I agree nearly with all you argue.
    Only difference to you is that I expect Chelsea to be our strongest opponent for the title-fight.
    They have like us no european matches. This can be decisive.

30. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

You will be, because we're going to win the league this year lol

Eintrachtfan likes this.