Premier League 2016/17

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Let's hope it's a good one for Liverpool FC. If not, there's always the next year. ;-)

FGred and darkvoid like this.
  2. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

This will be the one that goes beyond 300 pages and will end with Lovern holding the PL trophy

3. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

[emoji15] Really [emoji15]

More than 300 pages [emoji6]

mattyhurst likes this.
  4. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I really hope Nikola's luck with this type of thread is better than it is in the rumour mill...

lfc.eddie, The Elusive 19th and TFC like this.
  5. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Well 2013-14 got 294 pages.... About 10 or 11 pages for all the photos eh?

6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Here's the list of transfer so far (don't worry, not made by me or Makati)...

http://www.premierleague.com/news/61463

I am quite surprised by the number of moves made by Leicester and West Ham so far. They seemed to get themselves ready for this grueling season they are about to face with Europe in midweek. Ranieri especially can't go about playing kids in the Champs League, Mr. Vichai will definitely get the monk to slap him silly. The other one that worries me a bit is United, they are really going all out this season. If we are not worried, Arsenal certainly should. And last but not least, Spurs, they are known for selling players in the summer, but not this one so far.

Going to be a very interesting season, and if @Nikola voices his worries about United, this season he has all the rights to do so.... they are really strengthening their spine, right from De Gea onwards. Damn it.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  7. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Even the most pessimistic Man United fans that I know have turned quietly optimistic because they are quite certain that they will challenge this season, some of them are even convinced that this is the season where they will win the title. Can't blame them for that, they've done the most serious strengthening and they've done it early unlike their rivals (and there's still more to come, probably Pogba).

I don't think our team is well equipped to assault the top four this season but I believe we're still in the rebuilding phase and if we make the right signings this summer, 2017/18 should be the season when Klopp's Liverpool finally announced themselves. I'm not in awe of our signings but you get the feeling that we're finally pursuing players in systematic fashion, that flaws have finally been identified and that moves have been made to rectify those flaws for the long term.

8. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Predictions then......

My top 10 would be:

Liverpool (champs)
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Chelsea
    West Ham
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Leicester
    Southampton
    Crystal Palace

9. kotsebotse

kotsebotse TIA New Signing

And I thought I had low expectations for Spurs, I expect them to fall this season, but not out of top 10

10. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Seriously, Gunners outside of the Champion's League places? When was the last time it happened? I went back to 2001/2002 and could not find a single season when Gunners were out of the Top Four. Have Gunners ever missed UCL action with Wenger in charge? Remarkable run.

11. Celtic Dragon

I got them in at 11 lol

But seriously, maybe it is an odd prediction, I just have a feeling they're going to struggle harder than most realise with the Champions League fixture pile up.

darkvoid likes this.
  12. Celtic Dragon

Gonna be a whole new ball game this season though, with Mourinho at United, and guys like Guardiola and Conte in our league for the first time. I just think Arsenal will struggle to 'keep up with the Jones'' as the saying goes.

darkvoid likes this.
  13. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

If we can keep migs sakho and Moreno away from the defence we will get top 4 no problem

14. CoutinhoTheGod

CoutinhoTheGod Brazilian Magic in action

What's wrong with Sakho? Other two I agree but Sakho Is a starting center back in my books

Scott Jones likes this.
  15. El Dorado

Can't argue with that. A whole new level of competitiveness it would seem. Gunners have yet to make a signing this transfer window. Let's see if they splash some cash. Hard to pick the table until we know who's on the club, except for the top spot, which picks itself.

16. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Fur sure. But it's also a season of transition for those three clubs which might hold them back a little as their managers get to grips with new squads or the league (for two of them)

17. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

Just don't rate him, far too many errors can be really good then bad again too erratic for me.

18. CoutinhoTheGod

Same could be said for Lovren . Lovren only finished the season well , everyone was calling for his head at the start of the season . So unless you plan on illori or Gomez as your starting center back Sakho is quite obviously the better player .

19. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

We do have a certain Cameroonian in our ranks now who isn't too bad at his job in that department..... just saying.

20. Celtic Dragon

Aren't you forgetting someone?

21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Is it Matip, the new kid? I like working out and guessing things.

noremac, Scott Jones and ILLOK like this.
  22. Celtic Dragon

lol Yep, got it in one, @Maria - it's Matip!

Maria likes this.
  23. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@Celtic Dragon, just trying to improve my knowledge on the new players, I haven't read four-four-two for many years!lol, but when I read the newspaper, I read sports pages before the main news! I still get confused on zonal markings and different formations. I leave the tactics to you experts on the TIA.:-)

darkvoid likes this.
  24. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

We always in a rebuilding stage, it's bloody frustrating. We gonna be rebuilding next year too. With the players we bought it's not enough, far from it I'm afraid.
    United done some serious business this time tho. I fear they gonna win the title with ease this year with Zlatan leading the line. Mkhitaryan in there too. Just hope Jose has lost his magic and somehow fucks it up.

25. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Most of us haven't got a clue about tactics and zonal marking but we blag our heads off to give the impression we are experts.
    Sure you're as much an expert as anyone else on here girl :well done:

Maria and Celtic Dragon like this.
  26. CoutinhoTheGod

I was just thinking he was a nailed on starter so we were debating wether Sakho or Lovren would start beside him .

27. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

They signed Xhaka for £34m.

28. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

But apart from him they have yet to make a signing:tongue:;-)

Persona likes this.
  29. El Dorado

Thanks for that. Strange, that one is over a month old and doesn't show up on Sky Sports transfer summary for Arsenal. Slipping, those boys. Guess I should stick to transfermarkt. That seems a signing acknowledging the fragility of Jack Wilshire. It does seem they need more steel in midfield, not more creativity. A lot rides on the health of Francis Coquelin for Arsenal. They instantly more resolute when he came into the side.

30. Persona

Persona Member

I would honestly be surprised to see United finish ahead of City. I still feel like they have the best group of players and Pep knows how to manage clubs loaded with talent. They've quietly had a great window as well, Nolito at his price was a steal.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016