Premier League team of the decade (top 6)

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Kopstar, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

There's a brief discussion going on in the Jordan Henderson thread (yes, it's off topic) about the front six under Rodgers compared with the front six under Klopp. We frequently reminisce about the team from 08/09, 13/14 etc and I'm sure we've all had those "if only" thoughts if only we hadn't sold X we would have had an awesome team then or if only those players had played together etc we'd have won the league. It's true that we've had some extraordinary players in the last ten years and below I've put what would be my personal matchday 18 in the last ten years. If played together it would have stormed the league, no doubt. However, how would it match up against a similar collective from other big teams? Which looks the strongest? I've put my thoughts as to what might be a collective team from each of United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs also below. What are your picks?

Torres

Coutinho.............Suarez............Gerrard

Mascherano............Alonso..

Milner............Carragher...........Matip............Arbeloa

Reina​

Bench: Mignolet, Riise, Hyypia, Henderson, Sterling, Mane, Sturridge

Chelsea: Courtois, Cole, Terry, Carvalho, Azpilicueta/Ivanovic, Robben, Essien, Lampard, Hazard, Drogba, Costa

United: De Gea, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Neville, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Ibrahimovic

Arsenal: Cech, Monreal, Koscielny, Vermaelen/Kolo, Bellerin, Ozil, Fabregas, Ramsey, Cazorla/Nasri, Sanchez, Van Persie

City: Hart, Kolorov, Kompany, Boateng, Zabaleta, De Bruyn, Silva, Toure, Sane/Sterling, Aguero, Tevez

Tottenham: Lloris, Walker/Corluka, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Erikssen, Modric, Alli, Bale, Kane, Berbatov

Everton: Howard, Coleman, Stones, Jagielka, Baines, Pienaar, Fellaini, Arteta, Mirallas, Cahill, Lukaku

[I added in Everton after I created the thread title]

Only criteria is that you cannot choose the same player for more than one team so Van Persie, for example, choose him for either United or Arsenal but not both. Obviously, the player chosen is the player assuming them to be in their prime.

I think our front 6 is the equal of any other team but our back five isn't at the level of Chelsea or United, imo.

ptt and Scott Jones like this.
  2. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

Quiet day at the office?

Kopstar likes this.
  3. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I would switch Aurelio for Milner, Agger in for Carragher, play diamond midfield with Mascherano being the anchor, Gerrard and Alonso as box-to-box and leave Coutinho in the middle supporting Suarez and Torres as our forward.

Reina
    Arbeloa Hyypia Agger Aurelio
    Mascherano
    Alonso Gerrard
    Coutinho
    Torres Suarez ​
    Bench: Mignolet, Kuyt, Mane, Sturridge, Meireles, Carragher, Clyne
    Squad filler: Maxi, Matip, Henderson, Sterling, GK, Riise, Bellamy.
    Coaching Staff: Klopp, Buvac, Krawietz, Valero (the rest whoever is in Rafa's fitness team).

Now that's the team I would go with. With that kind of depth, even Ferguson's best will be sweating bullets going up against us.

WrinkledMind, Scott Jones and Semmy like this.
  4. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

When it comes to past ten seasons, these are my choices for our rivals' best teams:

Man United: De Gea, Valencia, Vidić, Ferdinand, Evra; Carrick, Scholes, Mkhitaryan; Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez; Bench: Van Der Saar, Smalling, Neville, Hargreaves, Pogba, Nani, Ibrahimović.

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Kolo Toure, Clichy; Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Silva; De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling. Bench: Caballero, Demichelis, Sagna, Gundogan, Barry, Navas, Jesus.

Chelsea: Čech, Azpilicueta, Terry, Carvalho, Cole; Kante, Essien, Lampard; Hazard, Robben, Drogba. Bench: Courtois, Carvalho, Ivanović, Matić, Mata, Willian, Costa.

Arsenal: Čech, Sagna, Koscielny, Toure, Clichy; Song, Fabregas, Cazorla; Walcott, Sanchez, Van Persie. Bench: Sczesczny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Ramsey, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud.

Tottenham: Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Dembele, Modrić; Bale, Alli, Eriksen, Kane. Bench: Friedel, King (only because he was always injured, otherwise was their best defender), Ćorluka, Wanyama, Lamela, Keane, Berbatov.

Everton: Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Stones, Baines, Fellaini, Arteta, Barkley, Cahill, Mirallas, Lukaku. Bench: Stekelenburg, Distin, Oviedo, Barry, McCarthy, Naismith, Kone.

As expected, I had the toughest time picking Man United and Chelsea sides. Look no further than their goalkeepers: when you realise who they've had in the past decade, you have to be jealous of them.

As for our club:

Reina
    Arbeloa Carragher Agger Milner
    Mascherano Alonso
    Mane Gerrard Coutinho
    Suarez​

Bench: Mignolet, Hyypia, Clyne, Henderson, Lallana, Kuyt, Torres.

I do believe that, tactics-wise, Kuyt should be in the first eleven but we were looking for individual qualities, so there you go. Also, Aurelio doesn't make my cut solely because of his injury issues. Agger was often injured, true, but Hyypia was in his twilight years.

Or you can just pick any nine Liverpool players and add Gerrard and Suarez. Imagine Klopp having either at their best in his current team, let alone both...

Semmy likes this.
  5. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Pretty much nailed on except Hendo gets the bench over Meireles, in a B2B role. And Riise over Clyne for that sledgehammer if a left foot. It's one part of our game that we took for granted, was Gerrard's long shots. Forced defenders to close him down, opened up space behind. Now we don't have that threat, so defenders can sit deeper and wait.

They still close Coutinho down, but he comes in off the wing so easier to deal with. And doesn't have the power Stevie had.

Who has that ability these days, now that I am thinking of it? Have seen Ramsey and Xhaka both with one in last 12 months, but nobody else?

6. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

The front six doesn't seem to be open for much debate. Suarez, Gerrard, Alonso, and Mascherano are dead certs and some combination of Mane, Coutinho, and Torres for the extra two spots. Kuyt, Sturridge, and Henderson as the obvious subs up there. Sort of sums up how shit our midfield has been since Masch and Xabi left that you can't think of anybody but Hendo as a sub. Maybe Lallana.

The back four are certainly up for debate, though. At center back: Hyypia was on his way out ten years ago, Agger never really turned out to be as good as he could have been due to injuries, Matip hasn't played all that much for us yet and has had a couple of mistakes and Sakho, while one of the best central defenders to have played for this club in the past decade, has question marks surrounding him due to his recent attitude issues. At fullback: Arbeloa was great but Clyne is chasing close behind now; he's been rock-steady the past couple years and is improving his offensive side. Riise was on his way out ten years ago. Aurelio was the best player of the bunch but his injuries kept him out. Jose Enrique is a name you won't see mentioned but he was great in 11/12 and 12/13. Bit of a headless chicken but he was fast and strong and kept some seriously good attackers in his pocket.

Reina
    Arbeloa Carragher Sakho Aurelio
    Alonso Mascherano
    Mane Gerrard Coutinho
    Suarez
    Subs: Mignolet, Agger, Clyne, Henderson, Lallana, Kuyt, Torres,

Liked Carvalho so much you picked him twice, eh Nik? Only things I'd change are subbing Given for Caballero, Neville for Valencia, and Distin for Stones (he really only showed promise at Everton, never the finished article). Nice pick on Song, he was excellent for them for a couple years before his move to Barcelona stalled his career. I remember his passing over the top was sensational at Arsenal.

ptt likes this.
  7. Nikola

Thanks for pointing out, mate! Now, the problem is that I can't remember if I chose Alex or Gallas for that sub role... :?:

8. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

It would be interesting if some form of criteria was introduced.

Say for instance the player must have played more than 25 games, the players can be picked say from the year 2000 - 2001 season to date

That way people would need to think long and hard to select the teams.

I notice Riise was not picked by anyone, indeed Milner was selected ahead of him at left back

I can't get my head around Valencia being picked ahead of Neville for United.

Its a great thread because it gets us all thinking.

As a matter of interest how many Liverpool players would grace a team selected from all clubs, since 2000 ? 1, 2 or more?

lfc.eddie likes this.
  9. Nikola

I can tell you the reasoning behind my selection - Riise went downhill from 2007 on, while Neville was in his twilight years as well, hence the inclusion of Valencia who has, in all honesty, been unplayable since getting converted to right back. If it was "last two decades", I'd have definitely picked Neville over him, though, and Riise over Milner (not that I think Riise was top class, I love him but he was prone to defensive errors - he was a fitting part in a fantastic defensive unit, though).

10. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Whole different conversation. Gerrard, Suarez, Hypia and Reina would be right there with Fernando Torres being generally lethal and elegant from the bench. Trouble is you have Henry and Bergkamp and and and and .....

11. lfc.eddie

If we are being honest, I don't think Torres would even make the bench as a striking option if we were to take the selection from 2000 onwards. You have Van Nistelroy, Shearer, Henry, Suarez and eve Harry Kane, all hitting more than 20 goals per season in the league. Reina would be part of the team, I agree with you because the time he was with us he's been one of the best keeper, rivalled only by Cech. Gerrard automatic starter of course and I don't know if Hyypia would make the first 11, but the squad I would think so.

12. Nikola

As much as Torres' departure left me scarred for life (as far as football goes!), I think he was a better and more complete striker than Van Nistelrooy and Kane. Sadly, we'll never know just how good he might have become as injuries had taken his toll on him before his departure from Liverpool. No contest with Shearer, Henry and Suarez, though, I think they were all better than him.

As for players we had in past decade or so, I think it's only Gerrard and Suarez who would be automatic starters in PL team of that period but if you extended it to 2000, it's a contest between Suarez and Shearer, I suppose (with Henry being an automatic striker and presuming we agree that all were better than Drogba). Maybe it's bias but I think Suarez is a better overall football player and therefore would be in my team. I'm looking forward to other views on this one.

13. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

To be honest there is a possibility that no Liverpool would make the side. Reina, no chance same for Hyppia. Gerrard and Suarez possible with the Liverpool Torres in the 18. The Chelsea Torres makes the tea.

As we have no game this week it would be interesting if we did a TIA best 18. Say 442.

14. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Still early for me to include someone like Mane. The only player who maybe comes close to that side (and starts regularly) is Coutinho. Still not consistent enough, that's probably the next part for him to improve and that's when maybe one of the top clubs come for him. Definitely need to have both Torres and Suarez in there.

15. lfc.eddie

Got home from work after a long day, meetings after meetings... on the move from one building to another, thought I could catch up on football and whatever else there is in the news. So I stumbled across this...

Manchester United's quest for cup treble will stretch squad to limit

Wow. It's a quest now eh? Back then when we won it, they called it a Mickey Mouse treble.... how the mighty (arrogant) has fallen.