Quincy Promes (AM) Spartak Moscow

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Mascot88, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I think there is enough noise around this one to warrant a thread.

KillerBeeLFC likes this.
  2. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Having YouTube scouted, he has very quick feet which I like a lot. Seems to be able to play not only on the right but also the left. Can see why Klopp would want him very direct, not scared to take on a defender and likes to cut inside adding to players in the box.
    On a side note who on earth do the managers in Russia get to carry out defensive coaching, whoa it's terrible the amount of unmarked players in and around the box is criminal

3. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

4. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

It's Daily Star, so I wouldn't be paying attention to what they say.

Promes seems an option to me, rather than Klopp's first choice. We could really use another wide player who knows how to contribute to the scoreline, especially when Mane is absent, whether it's Promes or someone else, I don't have a clue. He didn't impress me when playing for Netherlands, though, but I'm not sure if I can judge him on that, their team is going through transition and are collectively playing poorly.

boston red, redfanman and lfc.eddie like this.
  5. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Agree with this, but about him being an option: what do you mean? Is this player Klopp's first choice as a squad player in your view, or does Klopp has his eyes set on another player in that mould as a reinforcement for the squad, and is Promes only second choice?

6. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I guess we'd look at our well-reported interest in Pulisic as our first-choice, but given that he won't be available until this summer (at the earliest), if we want to strengthen this month we'll need to look elsewhere. But where would that leave Promes next season if he had both Mane and Pulisic ahead of him in the pecking order?

7. Hope in your heart

Ah yeah, wasn't thinking about Pulisic...

Anyway, I don't believe that this guy is in any way, shape or form viewed as a replacement for Mané during his absence, otherwise the deal would have been struck right at the beginning of the transfer window. But in order to add depth for the second half of the season, who knows...

I don't know the player, is he that good? Here are a few articles on him, but has someone here seen him play already?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-promes-sakho-nottingham-forest-a7515761.html
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-ready-push-quincy-promes-9582143
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...verpool-january-target-quincy-promes-12209392

Edit: just seen the potential transfer fee. I don't think that we are interested to be honest. £25m for a decent 24-years old, just to add a bit of depth to the squad, seems way overpriced. I say keep giving Ojo and Woodburn playing time, that will be much more interesting in the long run, rather than putting another player ahead of them in the pecking order.

Then again, what do I know?...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    spartacus136 and James H like this.
  8. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

Well given that Spurs spent £30M on Sissoko to be a backup for Alli or Dembele I dont see what's so wrong about spending £25M for that. Prices have gone up.

Scott Jones likes this.
  9. Hope in your heart

Yeah fair enough, but given Klopp's record with us since he came in (and his previous record at Dortmund) I'm not sure that he's considering such an expensive player for a back-up position.

But again, I could be wrong, and Klopp sees him as an instrumental player who will play a big role. In that case...

koptician likes this.
  10. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Don't think Ojo or Woodburn are quite ready just now Hope.

LaurazRed likes this.
  11. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

If Jurgen Klopp has been scouting him for a number of years I'm all for this transfer.

12. GaryBarlow99

GaryBarlow99 New Member

As long as it doesn't impact on the summer transfers then I see no reason why we shouldn't look at bringing an experienced winger in. If we get 20m for Sakho and use that fee and his wages for Promes that seems like a good deal to me. The Express reported his release clause as £20m in December. Even if it is £25m then we can top it up with the Ilori fee.

13. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I think it's fanciful to think we'll get 20m for Sakho. We couldn't have made it any clearer we want rid, and nobody is paying £20m under those conditions. We'll have done very well to get £10m, and we could end up just giving him away on a free.

Regarding Promes, The club should have little difficulty stumping up £25m given our spend is currently nothing.

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  14. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Klopp was willing to go pretty high for Teixeira 12 months ago... just not to the £47m his club demanded. I think he'll spend a decent amount on a player he feels is worth it. Whether or not that player is Promes I can't say for sure.

James H likes this.
  15. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

The transfer of a player is a two way process. Even though we're desperate to get rid, other clubs are desperate to buy. With the number of clubs that are rumoured to be interested (3 or 4 premier league clubs most importantly) we have plenty of leverage to get a decent fee for Sakho.

If we can get 3.75 million plus a 35% sell on clause for Ilori then we should easily be able to bring in 10-15 million for an experienced french international. 20 million is feasible imo.

Etipafilaf and redfanman like this.
  16. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Don't want to derail the thread but I think that the financial climate of football has changed so much that Liverpool have every right to demand 20 million pounds for Sakho. Not long ago, he was a starter for French national team that was on the up, as well as resurgent Klopp's team with some notable performances against the biggest European clubs. Qualities he offers and his reputation as a player are well worth 20 million pounds. If that money comes in for him, though, will probably come from the likes of West Ham, WBA, maybe even Southampton (though, like Sevilla, they aren't really known to spend big bucks).

As for Promes, I don't think that money is an object, given how much Klopp has recouped over the past few months, but I just don't think he's his primary target. I wouldn't be surprised if club was simply waiting on Pulišić to harden his stance of leaving for Premier League before attempting to convince Dortmund to sell.

17. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

Why should it? Don't forget the club spent zilch last summer.

18. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

That was an odd, and for them rather poor/desperate signing.

19. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Not strictly true. The club made a profit last summer

20. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

Can't we recall Lazar Markovic back instead of buying someone ?
    I think he is decent enough to warrant a place in absence of Mane?

21. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

As someone who thought Lazar would do well under Klopp, i'm sad to say that he has been playing poorly on loan again and he may now be injured, so little chance he will be recalled at our manager's behest me thinks.

Artrain likes this.
  22. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

If true that Promes needs to take a wage cut to join, that is ridiculous. Liverpool gets too cheap on wages and misses out? Promes could fill a big hole while Mane is gone, and when Mane returns, could still be useful as another true winger with his direct speed and dribbling ability.

Wijnaldum seems to feel Promes is an excellent player and hasn't been shy about wanting him to join Liverpool.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3030170/georginio-wijnaldum-wants-liverpool-to-sign-quincy-promes

23. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Yep, agree with this. He's got 3 major issues imo.

1. Always injured.
    2. Mentally, as soft as Andrex
    3. Doesn't score goals.

He doesn't lack talent, technically he's very sound, fairly intelligent and very quick, but he seems destined to be 'unfulfilled potential'. He hasn't applied himself at all since signing for us.

Artrain, spartacus136 and redfanman like this.
  24. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

I would have liked to see Lazar get a chance, his passing instincts make it hard for me to give up on him, but I agree it's not looking good for him long term. The fact he was pushed out the door deadline day says it all really...

As far as Promes, I'm all for it if Klopp really wants him. The problem with trying to get a Mane replacement/competition is this: who can we get that is good enough yet willing to leave wherever they are (where they're likely a star) to probably be a backup option for the rest of the season? I mean it's not like Klopp can say he rotates or that, "yeah, sure, I probably will drop Sadio or Phil for you"... why wouldn't they just say come get me in the summer, I.e. When I know you have CL and a lot of games and when I have a full preseason to fight for my place?

It's a problem... especially for Klopp, who isn't going to overpay just to make them willing to sit the bench and wants guys who want to come because they want to play for Liverpool.

25. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Wouldn't the best time for Promes to push his claim be whilst Sadio is away?

He would have no competition and I don't see Klopp just dropping Promes for nothing. If his form is good and we are winning games then surely Mane would then have to earn his place back upon his return from AFCON. It's win win really, means Mane has to up his game to win his place back and in turn Promes has to up his game to retain his spot, only means good things for the club.

And with or without Europe we have plenty of games coming up and we want to do well in all competitions so I think adding another quick attacking player who can cover both flanks or up top would be a smart decision. Our style of play has proven to take a toll on the players so having another option to enable us to rotate without drop off is always advantageous IMO. We only need to look at our bench a few weeks back when we had a few injuries, it was more reminiscent of a blue light disco on a Friday night with the number of teenagers we had there.

I do also get that we want the kids to have a chance but I think Klopp has shown he will give them a chance if it is warranted so we don't have to worry about other players getting in their way, if they are good enough in training and at U23 level they will get their chance.

redfanman likes this.
  26. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

We have Firmino, Sturridge, Origi, Coutinho and all of them are playing the 3 men forward. How is there no competition for Promes? Mane starts every damn game because he made a damn good progress, and become extremely vital in that role. Promes may not be as good as Mane, so he still has competition until he made that position his.

27. hoosierred

hoosierred Well-Known Member Valued Member

I'm not familiar with Andrex. Is it softer than Downing?

redfanman likes this.
  28. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

depends on how many ply....

29. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Because none of them generally start on the right side of the attacking 3. When fit Firmino plays up top and Coutinho on the left. They are where we get the best output from those players and also where we look the most dangerous as a team.

I suppose we could use Sturridge or Origi out of position on the right in a pinch but both are more suited to the central role and if the club thought they where a viable option out wide we wouldn't be looking at signing Promes I dare say. He is likely to be competition and cover for the two wide forward roles and with Mane away he would likely slip straight into the role on the right.

30. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Id be truly amazed if we signed Promes, I am convinced we would already have signed him if we really wanted him