Ragnar Klavan (CB) FC Augsburg

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ILLOK, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

2. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Oh, yes, that could be interesting.

He is left footed but not someone for future (he is 30), just for help to solve our problems for 1 season.

3. LFC_nº7

LFC_nº7 Member

Wijnaldum and Klavan? Ok,the club are definitely making fun of the supporters

4. kingoftown

kingoftown Really good aimer.

Elaborate.

5. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

6. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

HE ISN'T BONUCCI. ARGHHHHHHH!!! FSG OUT.

7. Dortmund fan

You saw Augsburg against LFC in Europe League last season.

What do you think about their defence?

8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

To be honest, their goalie Hitz impressed me the most. I did feel underwhelmed by this signing anyway until I read this in Dom King's article: "Prior to his time in Germany, Klavan had spent seven years in Holland, where he won the Eredivise in 2009 playing for AZ Alkmaar after being signed by Louis van Gaal from Heracles." So, it's not like he doesn't have any top level experience, although he won't be our Barzagli.

redfanman likes this.
  9. Dortmund fan

He is national player (Estonia), but I don't have enough information about him tbh.

Looks like a short term replacement for Gomez.

10. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Not really. Wijnaldum is a versatile player who is an upgrade on the likes of Lallana and Markovic, Klavan an international captain with over 100 caps who performed vey well for a good Bundesliga side last season and is clearly a back up.

steveee, Livvy, redfanman and 4 others like this.
  11. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Klavan is a big strong guy, leftfooted, can also play leftback. I can understand this move from Klopp, would fit in well i think, very likeble guy also. Captain from Estonia Team

redfanman and spartacus136 like this.
  12. ILLOK

Wijnaldum was a captain at Feyenoord as well. Edit: PSV it was he was captain of. Don't know about Feyenoord.

Wasn't long ago we were asking for more leaders in the squad, was it?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  13. LFC_nº7

LFC_nº7 Member

They're not gonna make us a better team. Two more average players who are no better than what we have

14. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

15. ILLOK

How well does he play left back?

Melissa Reddy seems to think Chilwell was our only left back target. I'm disappointed about that. Is this guy someone who fills in occasionally or could he play there for comfortably for a long period of time if Moreno carries on his clown act?

16. ILLOK

Let Klopp know will you lad, save him the embarrassment.

17. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I don´t think he would be our leftback target BUT if he comes in as a cover, he could cover for both. he is the more defensive leftback then if needet.

redfanman likes this.
  18. ILLOK

I'd thought as much. It's being reported that he's being brought in as centre back cover, but at least the insurance is there if Moreno doesn't improve and Smith doesn't take his chance.

Not what I was hoping for mind.

19. ILLOK

Liverpool are closing in on a £4.2million deal for FC Augsburg defender Ragnar Klavan.

Signing a centre-back has been a priority for Jurgen Klopp following injuries to Mamadou Sakho and Joe Gomez, and the Reds boss has decided the experienced Estonia captain fits the bill.

Discussions with the Bundesliga outfit are ongoing but Liverpool are hoping to secure the 30-year-old's signature this week for around 5million Euros (£4.2million) plus add-ons.

Klavan impressed when he played for Augsburg against Liverpool in both legs of last season's Europa League last 32 tie which Klopp's side won 1-0 on aggregate.

The 6ft 1ins defender, who has won more than a century of caps for Estonia, is viewed as the ideal replacement for Kolo Toure, who was released at the end of last season.

Klopp is also keen to bring in another centre-back over the coming weeks to provide cover following the recent injury setbacks.

As well as the departure of Toure and the £5.5million sale of Martin Skrtel to Fenerbahce, Liverpool have seen Sakho and Gomez sidelined by Achilles issues.

Tiago Ilori, who faces an uncertain future, will also miss the start of the season as he's representing Portugal at the Olympics.

That left Klopp with just two fit senior centre-backs in Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren.

Matip limped off during the closing stages of Liverpool's 2-0 friendly win over Wigan Athletic on Sunday after complaining of discomfort in his ankle but Klopp is confident it's only a minor issue.

Once a deal for Klavan has been struck, Klopp will pursue another experienced defender who is capable of playing on the left side of the back four.

It would be a short-term option as Klopp is a big admirer of Gomez, who damaged his Achilles after recovering from a ruptured cruciate ligament which forced him to miss most of last season.

Klavan started his career at FC Elva in his homeland before spells with Tulevik and Flora.

A loan stint at Valerenga in Norway was soon followed by a permanent switch to Dutch club Heracles Almelo in 2005.

Four years later he signed for AZ Alkmaar and helped them clinch the title.

In 2012 he joined Augsburg and quickly established himself as a key member of their side.

Klopp is a big admirer of his talents and after four years in Germany, Klavan looks destined for Anfield.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...iverpool-close-signing-ragnar-klavan-11627237

Says we're looking for ANOTHER centre back, then later on says we're looking at somebody to play on the left side of the back 4. Hopefully the author of the article means the latter. It'd be a bit mad if we signed 2 more defenders in addition to Klavan.

redfanman likes this.
  20. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

21. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

Kind of a weird one this, not much risk but not sure what the reward will be. A senior figure in the dressing room and cover, I guess, but I would have thought Ilori would have sufficed for cover. If it's true he can cover leftback that makes it better. Still feels a bit like a Kyrgiakos signing for me - a signing from the era of penny-pinching. Since I liked Kyrgiakos and I trust Klopp & Co's judgment, I don't have a problem with this one, it just seems a bit random. He was rumored for a move to Everton not too long ago.

22. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Definite cult hero in the making.

I'm ordering his shirt as soon as his squad number is announced.

Billy Biskix, Livvy, noremac and 2 others like this.
  23. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Sounds like another Kyrgiakos to me, and I don't really have a problem with that.

24. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Wijnaldum as I've said does give us great depth and improves on some of what we have here. He's probably the more debatable signing out of the two for me but I'm happy to have him over Zielinski.

It's clear we need experienced CB cover. Sakho and Lovren are injury prone. Gomez is very young and coming off the back of a bad injury. We've lost Toure and will lose Ilori and Wisdom. As a 4th or 5th choice there's no reason to fume.

25. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Ragnar Rocks!

redfanman and Livvy like this.
  26. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Me too. But only IF it says Ragnar!

redfanman likes this.
  27. Artrain

Artrain Well-Known Member

What do you think was the reward of having Kolo Toure in our squad? I suppose this will be similar. And I would not call Ilori cover. More like a liability.

28. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

No overriding opinion on him. Never even heard of him til today, but we've got three very good CB and a promising youngster. If Klopp wants him then that's fine by me.

redfanman likes this.
  29. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

Kolo was Kolo, not sure Ragnar will have the same kind of presence or rapport with the squad. Good cover in the same way probably, but I know nothing about him. In the event that we have as many injuries at the back as we did last season, it might be better having Ragnar rather than Ilori, but I can't really say one is better or worse than the other.

30. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

The only problem is that it'd take me about ten years to grow a Vikings-style beard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.