Ragnar Klavan (CB) FC Augsburg

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ILLOK, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Apparently he turned down a move to Everton for more money a year ago, so at least he's not stupid.

Played every minute of the season for Augsburg prior to this one in which they finished 5th.

redfanman likes this.
  2. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Thank f#@k, a defender who's not injured much. Revelation.

3. GratefulRed

GratefulRed TIA Reserve Team

Sounds like a game of thrones character.

Ragnar Klavan Prince of the Kyriakos. House of Kolo. The first of his name.

Scott Jones, Livvy, redfanman and 4 others like this.
  4. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I have no opinion on this. It sounds like one not to get too upset/excited by. Experienced cover definitely needed though, and hopefully a bit of a step up from Caulker.

redfanman likes this.
  5. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

Sounds like a replacement for Toure to me. Plenty of experience, solid and reliable short-term cover.

6. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Yes, he can play LB, but will Moreno leave?

7. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

You had me at Ragnar.

Arminius, Livvy and Herb like this.
  8. POBox

POBox TIA Reserve Team

Is he better than Skrtel? If yes then I'm ok

9. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

From the description, he sounds much bigger physically than Illiori and better in the air which may see him preferred.

10. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

He's good at playing the ball out from the back.
    He's reliable/not error prone.
    He doesn't get injured.

How many of these can be said about our current crop of CB's? Most of whom were considerably more expensive.

Also he was part of a side that kept a clean sheet against us with a full strength attack last season (and nearly two).
    Even Dortmund didn't do that.
    If he can be got for less than we sold Skrtel for then it represents an outstanding bit of business to me IMO.
    And as if that wasn't enough, he could be used for left back cover - what isn't there to like about this signing?
    Just make it happen!

11. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

He can also play left back, maybe he will be cover for Hector aswell as a CB option? As long as Moreno doesn't play I'm happy.

12. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

It's a good move, if you ask me. It's obvious who Klopp thinks of as his first choices and he's a solid backup that won't cause any problems sitting on the bench or in terms of general personality, if you know what I mean.
    Can't say I follow every Augsburg game religiously, but from what I've seen he's solid and can handle the ball, good passing for a CB, good in the air, disciplined. If the reported price is correct, this is another smart move, should leave enough money in the bank for one of Jürgen's bigger, primary targets.
    Hector seems to be renewing his contract with 1. FC Köln, so for now no point in putting any hopes in that signing (That's not a correct English phrase, right? Feel free to correct me, always eager to improve my language skills...)

13. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Feel a bit mixed. He basically will cost us what we got from Sktel , only a year younger, and unlike Sktel, does not ( and won't) have time to get familiar to the league.

Couldn't we gamble that money for someone more potential if we were going for that route anyway?

14. Fullmetal

Fullmetal Jedi Knight

Yesterday nothing, today klavan and wijnaldum. Nice going.

15. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Don't think it's that much of an issue he looks like a solid recruitment and in the mould that was described last week.

16. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

I get the feeling that some posters judge Klavan though they don't know much of him.
    In my opinion Klavan is as good as Skrtel on his best days. Saying this constantly watching the Bundesliga.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Klavan will be more than a back up. Do you remember his performances during the Augsburg games in the Euro League?

17. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

Experienced signing for a small fee who provides cover in the backline. I think Lovren and Matip will be the starting pair at least until big Sakho gets fit and Ragnar will come in as needed. Cant see a downside really.

Scott Jones, Dortmund fan and dxb_red like this.
  18. He Drinks Sangria

He Drinks Sangria Well-Known Member

Wait, so he played well against us and now we're signing him?

Wow. That's quite the coincidence.

redfanman likes this.
  19. dxb_red

dxb_red Well-Known Member

The guy isnt spectacular, but he is solid, reliable and well regarded in the bundesliga. He'll also bring some much needed experience and leadership into the dressing room, which we are in dire need of, and at 30, he could provide defensive cover for the next 3-4 years, so for 4 mill i think its a clever bit of business.

20. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Wish his surname was Lothbrok.

spartacus136 and redfanman like this.
  21. Dortmund fan

Yes, I think so.

22. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

We've also signed Karius and Matip who've played well in the German league which Klopp has come from. Ridiculous. And I bet Buvac has seen Grujic play well live so that's obviously affected his thinking. I'm angry.

Drubas, steveee, Herb and 5 others like this.
  23. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

Klavan has a 3,56 average when it comes to marks for players given by German sports magazine kicker.
    He is rated the 37th best of 75 defenders considered of the German top division.
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...iga/2015-16/topspieler-der-saison-abwehr.html
    30 years-old, Bundesliga average, but experienced.
    My only criticism: £4m is a lot of money for a defender with one year left on his contract, who is just Bundesliga average and already 30. Of course the prices rise, but there were many good CB's on the free market, but as I said, the transfer is okay. Not more, not less.

Edit: It also should be said that Süle and Tah were not available this summer!

24. Dortmund fan

He looks like who?

[​IMG]

25. Zinedine Biscan

Does his pet bald dwarf come included in the price?

26. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Considering he's not coming for a guaranteed place in first XI I think pretty good move and seems to be a no nonsense type of player who doesn't need much settling in time,plus it keeps money in the kitty for bigger transfers for positions where we are missing proper quality,hopefully

27. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

redfanman likes this.
  28. Zinedine Biscan

I'm actually liking the sound of this. It sounds like he has a good skillset to fit in with our defence. He'll be a squad option, but being able to call upon somebody reliable when needed is not to be sniffed at. Is basically being brought in as a better Kyriakos. Nothing not to like about this one, really. Even his age I see as being a positive, as by the time Gomez hits 21 he'll be winding down anyway and won't block his path to the first-team.

redfanman likes this.
  29. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Good transfer. Ragnar Lothbrok/Klavan187 cm, 85 kg., 30 years old central defender.
    We need cover for our injury prone central defenders/Lovren, Sakho, Gomez, Ilori all miss regulalrly matches due to injuries/. Skrtel/100 000 pounds per week/ and Toure/50 000 pounds per week/ were on high wages and maybe the club tries to reduce the wage bill.
    Here are his stats for 2015/2016 season. He will be fourth or even fifth option when Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Gomez are fit. And his signing will enable the club to sell Ilori and Wisdom.
    https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10839

30. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Good signing as a dedicated and stop-gap LCB here ...aka otherwise only Matip/Lovren/Lucas even possible at CB for us, with Sakho and Gomez both out and iLori Rio-bound.

Klavan was OK enough in Holland (under van Gaal etc ...but then the priority is always about ball-handling skills over anything else). In BuLi, the priority is far more on man-marking and on actual defending. Klavan did well there too. A very decent stop-gap siginng here.

T.C.B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.