Random Football debate thread

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by DeathOrGlory, Sep 29, 2012.

1. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

Ferguson on Ronaldo

‘His achievements are unsurpassed, he has had a wonderful year, winning both the Champions League with Real Madrid and captaining Portugal in Euro 2016.

Despite missing the final through injury, he was on the sideline cheering on his teammates such was his desire to lift the trophy. It was wonderful.’

Um wtf.

2. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Got this on Joe. Never heard of him in my life. Irish lad so some of you guys will know him I'd imagine. Anyway, this is statement on retiring. Legend.

"Today I retire.
    "So I thought….. i better do a statement. I’m going to name drop a bit so please forgive me.
    "I didn’t want to retire but the legs don’t move like they used to and when the slowest player in the league says to me “I’ll be your legs” I knew I had to call it a day…so thanks for that Mark Rossiter.
    "To Kiara…….My girlfriend in my Joeys days and now my wife as I finished in Longford. You were there for it all.Thanks for your patience, understanding and keeping my feet on the ground.
    "Leaving for work at 8am, going straight to training and getting home at 9pm was tough…so to my kids I apologise for missing so much and look forward to spending all my time with you. If you have my passion on the pitch and your Mam’s passion in the bedroom you will excel at whatever you choose.
    "Big thanks to my family who helped me so much over the years. Especially my Dad, you went out of your way so much to help me, I’ll never forget that.
    "To my friends who’ve been there since the start and supported me home and away, thank you.
    "To my aunties and uncles who looked after me when I was clubless in England, thank you.
    "To all the Coaches, Managers, Physio’s and Kitmen I’ve had, and the time you put in, thank you so much.
    "To all my teammates….thank you for your ability to adjust to playing with 10 men most weeks.
    "To the referees, I apologise for the tackles and my colourful language that led to them colourful cards. My wife would like to thank you for the hundreds of Euro’s in fines I had to pay because of you.
    "To the fans of Waterford thanks for making me a cult hero.
    "To the fans of Shels, it’s my biggest regret in my career that you got relegated when I played for you, it’s a huge club and shouldn’t be in that situation.
    "To the Pats fans, I got paid for doing what you do…..watching games from a bench every week. It wasn’t down to lack of trying, it was just Kenna and O’Brien were outstanding. I hope I repaid you with the Cup Final song I wrote for you.
    "To the Longford fans, I admire the handful of lads who follow the team everywhere they go. We had bad nights but some great ones too. It’s a great club. Thank you.
    "To everyone at Shamrock Rovers thank you. Friday nights and coming from my house you could see the floodlights. Pulling on the famous green and white and hearing the fans sing as you wait in the tunnel, then the teasing smell of burgers and chips as you wait for the whistle to blow. It’s what you dream of. I was just a fan that got lucky.
    "To the Fans of Bohs, I loved playing in Dalymount. I loved the abuse and I loved having Coke bottles hopped off my head. I didn’t like you, but I have to say I admired your passion too and I’ll miss it.
    "Football is the greatest game on earth and anyone who says otherwise is a lying Luther.
    "It gave me the chance to win All Irelands.
    "It gave me the chance to learn from my hero Denis Irwin everyday in training.
    "It gave me the chance to play in the same team as a man people say is the maddest man in football, Paul Gascoigne….this was true, until I met Boccer Bayly.
    "It gave me the chance to captain my country at youth level and blast out Amhrán na bhFiann.
    "It gave me the chance to meet the President of Ireland.
    "It gave me so many kicks in the balls, like relegations, injuries, missing Christmas’ and missing friends & family.
    "It gave me the chance to win leagues with superstars like Twigg, Bradley, Baker, Salmon and O’Sullivan.
    "It gave me the chance to have great friends like Stephen Rice and Pat Sullivan, classy on and off the pitch.
    "It gave me the chance to mark Cristiano Ronaldo from corners.
    "It gave me the chance to stand in a helpless wall when Del Piero stuck a free in top corner.
    "It gave me a chance to play against the leagues best…..Derek Pender, Glen Crowe, Jason Byrne, John O’Flynn and Christy Fagan.
    "It gave me the chance to play under great captains like Kenna and Murray.
    "It gave me a rivalry with Killian Brennan, a great player that wasn’t afraid to kick me back. I’ll miss that.
    "It gave me a chance to miss a peno in front of 30,000 people in Lansdowne Road.
    "It gave me the chance to have songs sung about me….some good, some bad.
    "It gave me the chance to play for all of Dublin’s big clubs.
    "Anyone that watches football will know I’m an average player but hard work and commitment was the reason I got all these chances.
    "If I can do it anyone can. Never give up. Thank you football."

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/irish-fo...eatest-retirement-statement-of-all-time/94931

inaiq, Maria, darkvoid and 2 others like this.
  3. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Awesome
    [​IMG]

inaiq likes this.
  4. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

A North Korean goalkeeper has been fined and banned for a year for deliberately conceding a goal that helped his side get an easier cup tie.

Jang Paek-ho was beaten by the opposition goalkeeper as North Korea lost 3-1 to Uzbekistan at the AFC Under-16 Championship in September.

The Asian Football Confederation also fined and banned the team's manager.

It said Yung Jong-su and Jang "brought the game into disrepute" with "the deliberate conceding of a goal".

Manager Yung was fined £4,000, Jang was fined £800 and North Korea's football association was fined £16,000.

Jang came rushing out of his area and appeared to duck underneath the Uzbekistan keeper's long kick forward.

As the ball bounced towards his net, Jang clearly still had a chance of preventing a goal, but he threw himself on the ground before he could reach it, allowing the opposition to take a 1-0 lead.

Uzbekistan's victory meant they played eventual winners Iraq in the quarter-finals.

By losing, North Korea finished second in their group - behind Uzbekistan. They went on to beat Oman in the last eight before losing on penalties to Iran in the semi-finals.

The four teams who made the last semi-finals all qualified for the U17 World Cup, to be held in India from 6-28 October 2017.

The AFC will allow North Korea to compete - without Jang and manager Yung - but said they would ban the team from the 2018 AFC U19 Championship if they "engage in similar behaviour" during qualifying for the event.

Flobs likes this.
  5. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

No yellow card for simulation of a goalkeeper?

I saw the video, but if his country gets a better deal, I'm sure there's a bonus in it for him.

Scott Jones likes this.
  6. Scott Jones

A German-born former international footballer, Deniz Naki, is going on trial in Turkey charged with spreading terrorist propaganda and supporting the banned Kurdish PKK guerrillas.

Naki, 27, is ethnically Alevi-Kurdish and now plays in Turkey.

The Turkish charges relate to a message he posted on Facebook after scoring the winning goal for his club Amed SK, in a crucial match in January.

He dedicated the team's victory to victims of the Kurdish conflict.

If found guilty he could go to jail for up to five years. He is also currently under a 12-match ban.

Naki previously played for German clubs St Pauli and Paderborn, and was selected for the German under-21 squad. He moved to Turkey in 2013.

He says his Facebook post was intended as a message of peace. His trial is taking place in Diyarbakir, a mainly Kurdish city wracked by political violence and where Amed SK is based.
    Naki has the Kurdish word for freedom - "azadi" - tattooed on one arm. On the other he has a tattoo reading "Dersim 62" - the traditional name for his ancestral town Tunceli and its vehicle number plate identifier.

Turkish forces have been battling PKK rebels in eastern Turkey since a ceasefire collapsed in July 2015. Turkey, the EU and US consider the PKK to be a terrorist organisation.

Turkish prosecutors say Naki incited hatred and hostility towards other ethnic and religious groups.

The PKK says it is fighting for more Kurdish autonomy and ethnic rights, denying Turkish claims that it wants to create a separate state.

7. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Lad is fooked I reckon. In the current environment in that country I think he's as much chance of getting off as that activist who got that 10 year + 1000 lashes sentence in the Saudi.

inaiq and Scott Jones like this.
  8. Barnestormer

Barnestormer Left wing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37940954

At times its worth asking if the infamous 'bottomless pit' in Revelation is not indeed Barton himself....................................such an amazingly talented clown to not have a circus.

inaiq and Scott Jones like this.
  9. Division

Division Member

Korean goalkeeper effort. Won't be winning any oscars for this one.

inaiq, Jase and Scott Jones like this.
  10. won it at-a-turk stadium

11. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

That actually really angered me. I would be absolutely furious if I was the guy on the ball.

12. Scott Jones

Neymar: Spanish court calls for Barcelona player to serve two-year prison sentence

Spanish prosecutors have called for Barcelona forward Neymar to be sent to prison for two years for his part in a corruption case over his transfer from Brazilian club Santos in 2013.

Judge Jose Perals also called for a five-year sentence for former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and a fine of 8.4million euros (£7.2m) for the club.

It asked to drop charges against current president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Rosell, Neymar and his father are set to stand trial.

Under the Spanish legal system, prison terms of under two years are typically suspended.

The case stems from a complaint by Brazilian investment group DIS, which owned 40% of Neymar's transfer rights and alleges it received less money than it was entitled to from transfer fee.

Rosell resigned as the club's president in 2014 for his role in the affair and testified in court in February alongside Bartomeu, Neymar and Neymar's father.

The club struck a deal with prosecutors in June to settle a separate case, paid a £4.7m fine and avoided trial on charges of tax evasion over the transfer.

Barcelona thought they had brought the affair to a close when judge Jose de la Mata archived the case in June, although Spain's public prosecutor successfully overturned the ruling in September, allowing the case to proceed.

Neymar's Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi was sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax fraud earlier this year. He has appealed against the sentence.

Since moving to the Nou Camp, 24-year-old Neymar has won two La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, the Champions League, the European Super Cup, the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup.

He signed a new five-year contract with Barcelona in October.

13. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Neymar too good looking to end up in jail. You know what would happen there.

14. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

No, tell us.

15. bridgeman

bridgeman Banned Users

Because the steward couldn't control such an easy pass?

16. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

No, he is just angry all the time

17. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38115196

I thought this was kind of poor. Not because it's a United associated group, but with the crowds they get at the level they are, even with lower priced tickets, I'm not sure how they've ended up here.

But from here, does their duty to fans mean they need to forget their principles and enter into debt and raise ticket prices, or should they clear assets and lower running costs which will likely mean an end to their on-field progression?

Forgetting that it's a bunch of mancs for the moment, would anyone care to say how they would proceed if they were put in charge?

I

18. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Tragedy in Colombia as a charter plane carrying a top-flight Brazilian football squad plus a number of sports writers crashes. Around 10 of 80 passengers and crew are thought to have survived.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...team-chapecoense-crashes-en-route-to-medellin

Early reports are that it ran out of fuel, but that may change as new reports come in. Same plane carried the Argentinian national team, Messi et al, just recently.

Horrible news. Hopefully more have made it than is currently being reported.

19. bridgeman

bridgeman Banned Users

Think its being reported now that 5 have survived of which 3 are players

-------------

Is the captain responsible for the amount of fuel that is put into the plane when it has a stop? i think i remember see something like this on air crash investigations a while back when they miscalculated the amount of fuel they took on board. obviously to much fuel.affects the weight and aerodynamics of the plane plus a heavier plan is less economical to run

20. Scott Jones

Tony Pulis loses £3.7m Crystal Palace court battle

West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Pulis has lost a £3.7m High Court battle with former club Crystal Palace.

A Premier League Managers' Arbitration Tribunal ruled earlier this year Pulis should pay £3.7m damages to the club in a dispute about the way he left at the start of the 2014-15 season

Palace bosses said Pulis told them he was committed to the club but left two days after getting a £2m bonus.

Pulis, 56, denied deceiving them into paying the bonus.

He challenged the order in the High Court but a judge ruled against him.

Details of the case have emerged in a written ruling published by Sir Michael Burton on Monday.

Pulis had a contract with the south London club which promised him the bonus if he kept them in the Premier League at the end of the 2013-14 season and stayed in the manager's job until 31 August 2014.

'False impression'
    He secured Palace's place in the top flight but did not stay until the required date, instead asking for the bonus earlier than agreed and then informing the club a day later he wanted to leave.

He departed Palace the next day, on 14 August, on the eve of the new season.

Pulis said his reason for asking for the bonus early was due to an imminent purchase of land for his children and he "urgently needed the money" to enable that, the arbitration tribunal heard.

But the panel rejected his evidence, saying he had decided to leave the club as a result of a players' meeting on 12 August.

"There was in truth no pressing need for the money at all, since at no time was there a plot of land on the market which Mr Pulis was remotely close to purchasing," it said.

The panel concluded it was satisfied Pulis intended to give the club the "false impression" he had a pressing need for the money for the land purchase and that "he knew or was reckless to the fact that the impression he was giving to the club was a false one".

Image copyrightBBC SPORT
    Image captionCrystal Palace chairman Steve Parish was "misled" by Pulis
    "His motive in doing so was to secure early payment of £2m," the tribunal panel said.

Pulis had said he only wanted to leave if it was "mutually agreeable for him to leave on the eve of the new season", and that it had been "mutually agreeable".

He also said he was "committed" to the club.

But the panel disputed that, saying he had not told the truth and had "deliberately misled" Palace chairman Steve Parish.

Palace bosses gave Pulis the £2m on 12 August and the day after "he dropped the bombshell on the club" leaving them "in the lurch".

"By any standards his conduct [prior to and during the litigation] has been shown to be disgraceful," the panel said.

A spokeswoman for Crystal Palace told BBC News the club would not be making any comment on the ruling.

Pulis, who managed Stoke City from 2006 to 2013, became manager of West Brom in January 2015.
    :-):well done:lol

Strictly Armchair and inaiq like this.
  21. Zinedine Biscan

Seen reports now that it was electrical/technical problems on the plane rather than fuel.

Also seen it said that one of the survivors died after reaching hospital, so at the moment just five survivors.

So sad.

22. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I saw that, and while they probably do need an overdraft, that would not actually be a solution to anything. It would just be a tool to ensure that the fundamental problems don't become a crisis. For that reason, I would actually be a little surprised if they could get an overdraft other than by providing their grounds as a security - presuming the club owns them. That is when things get real for a club. As a supporter-owned club may need to go into debt in the short term, but they need to raise ticket prices and/or lower running costs - the only alternative would be to raise equity, which they probably need to do anyway.

They have had a good run to get where they are, but they have hit what is probably a difficult ceiling to punch through. It is what makes the AFC Wimbledon story compelling.

Chewbazza and inaiq like this.
  23. won it at-a-turk stadium

Atletico Nacional have asked organisers to award Chapecoense the Copa Sudamericana

24. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

I'm treading on Dortmund Fan's terrain here by posting a link. We have seen keepers come forward for late corners and even bag the odd goal, but not in this style. Kudos.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38171160

inaiq and Wyld@Heart like this.
  25. Zinedine Biscan

inaiq, Wyld@Heart and Scott Jones like this.
  26. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

27. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Ronaldo scored, video replay was used and ruled out, the game went back on. Then for the ref to check again and reinstate the goal. Disruptive as hell. Surely there has to be a better way.

28. Zinedine Biscan

I think if it is to be used, it has to be the once, straight after an incident. Ref shouldn't be allowed to go back later and change his mind.

29. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

That's the thing, it would be a mess because there is no proper process.

30. Zinedine Biscan

There definitely has to be a process in place, guidelines for its use, otherwise it'll be chaos. That's probably the point of this exercise, to try and sort out what works and what doesn't. You'd think it would be obvious, but I guess this is FIFA we're dealing with...

bridgeman and lfc.eddie like this.