Random Football debate thread

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by DeathOrGlory, Sep 29, 2012.

1. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

The N.F.L. one works ok scoring plays automatically reviewed, coaches have two challenges per game.

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Sorry, you'll have to excuse my ignorance when it comes to the NFL as genuinely I have no idea how it works, but for football it would need to be more complex, particularly with the need to also govern penalty calls - such as that in the first game in which the technology was used. It would probably be too disruptive if play was called back every time there was a shout - there's probably at least half a dozen instances in every match - and if you're also looking at goals scored (though it's possible the existing goal-line technology will mean the video evidence is unnecessary), maybe even bad or questionable tackles... I think you need to start drawing lines somewhere.

Is the evidence reviewed after every shout/goal/bad challenge? Does the ref use his discretion for incidents he knows he didn't have the best view of? Is the footage constantly monitored by another official, who radios the ref when he believes there's something he needs to review?

It's probably these kind of issues that have kept FIFA from instituting it until now, needs everything in black and white so everyone, officials, players, managers, know where they stand with it, and those have to be implemented so the disruption on the flow of the game is kept to a minimum.

James H likes this.
  3. James H

The challenge idea would be easily implemented, managers get two, that way they won't be throwing in a challenge every tackle they would keep it for when its important and they really think they can win it.
    In N.F.L. scoring plays are reviewed by the referee but its a stop start game anyway, soccer would need a kind of rugby model, a T.M.O., but he could review upstairs any offside or other reason a goal should/shouldn't be allowed. The T.M.O. could also help with red/yellow cards and the like, the game is slowed down on these with protests and such anyway so at least this would be useful delay. The whole thing would need tweaking and as you say thats probably why they are using this competition, but there is models there if they want to use them as a blueprint.

4. Rossello66

Rossello66 Barça fan here to cheer on you lovely reds.

Ex-Premier League striker Titi Camara has been given a suspended prison sentence for forgery, threats and wounding with intent in an assault on his wife last year.

The 44-year-old spent one season (1999/2000) with Liverpool and also starred for West Ham, was the Guinea national captain.

On December 22, a court in the Guinea has handed Camara a six-month suspended prison sentence, along with a fine of around £4,400, after finding him guilty of wounding with intent, threats and forgery.

Scott Jones likes this.
  5. James H

I liked titi, he was a decent player, developed something of a cult following if I recall correctly.
    Sounds like fairly serious charges to be let off with suspended prison sentence, especially wounding with intent.

Scott Jones likes this.
  6. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

For want of a better place, I will put this here. Reviewing the new IFAB rules for 16/17, a few interesting changes, and one that is for me a real headscratcher in Law 11 (Offside)

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play

For clarity, you still cannot be offside in your own half, so I am trying to understand what this new rule actually does and when it would be relevant. Maybe in the instance of coming back from an offside position to play the ball, where playing the ball actually happens in your own half?

Some other changes of note

Players injured by a foul that results in a card are allowed to receive treatment and stay on the pitch
    Kickoff no longer has to go forward
    Clarification of rule not to give red cards to all denial of goal scoring opportunity fouls

7. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

if I read right, hes guilty..if that's the case...I wipe him from my fond memories...couldn't give a fuck how well you can kick a ball...

lfc.eddie likes this.
  8. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Titi was well liked because he played a few days after his dad had died, scored, and broke down crying in front of the crowd. Nobody knew at the time his dad had passed away.

So yeah, big shame to read about that.

9. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

It'd be mad if it was an indirect free kick from where the ball was passed from, rather than from where the receiver is.

10. James H

Didn't say he wasn't guilty just surprised wounding with intent only got suspended sentence.

11. redbj

I cant remember that at all....yep, that stuff will get you a good name at any football club...undone now in my eyes, unless theres some follow up article or clarification otherwise.

12. redbj

yep, got that. noted.

James H likes this.
  13. Arminius

I think the distinction is that the FK is taken from the location of the offence, rather than the offside position itself. Those are often the same, but not always. Agree that it would be fairly odd to have the free kick from where the ball was played by the last on-side player.

14. redbj

I don't get it.

whats the difference between the location of the offence and the offside position?....and I have lived and breathed football for nearly forty years.....another bit of a mess for the refs to get wrong.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  15. Arminius

Well, I played one game last summer under the new rules, and I can say you are not wrong in the effect of that distinction. Did not like it at all, because it was possible for a player to be well offside but never actually trigger the call. How that does not inherently influence play is beyond me. The 'offside-ness' is judged the moment the ball is played, but not the offence.

The difference between the location of the offence and the offside position is most obvious in the case of coming back from an offside position. That was the piece I was trying to puzzle through (I cannot think of any other possible interpretations). The player is offside in the opposing half when the ball is played, but comes back across the halfway line and receives the ball - creating the offence and therefore placing the IFK for offside in that player's own half.

I have to say, even that seems weird. One of the weird consequences of this would seem to be that if a side is playing a high defensive line, and the opposing forward is playing off the shoulder and is in an offside position, if the attacking side hits a long pass, the offside position would be close to the half line, but the offence occurs where the forward touches the ball, in this case deep in the opponent's half.

16. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

17. Arminius

18. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

19. Zinedine Biscan

Russians are seriously nuts.

20. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Mental. How did this country manage to get the World Cup?

*edit* nvm, Blatter and co being corrupt twats explains it.

21. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

lol

Russian hooligans even had qualifications among their fans before Euro's, proper fights between different groups/persons in order to merit and win a place to go to France.

Hopefully no problems at the next WC.

22. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Well... I love Russia, Russian history, writers and culture, and the lovely Russian people I've met as well, but count me among those who for sure will not set foot in Russia during the World Cup...

:think:

Livvy likes this.
  23. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Fairly large protest going on ahead of Arsenal's CL match calling for Wenger's sacking.

24. Wyld@Heart

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  25. Wyld@Heart

Oh. Right. Indeed. Apologies. Duly edited.

26. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I stumbled across something quite interesting, and if we were to ever see the need to build a cyborg footballer, this article does give you an insight of who we should use at which part of their game - not cloning exact one player, but taking the best out of each of them. The article split it into 11 different parts, and they didn't include tenacity/spirit, something I think Suarez would win hands down. But other than that, I would agree with almost all of them but flair. ESPNFC put Pogba as the player with the most flair in his game, really? Flamboyant outside the game, with fucked up coloured hair doesn't count as flair.... Neymar has much more flair than Pogba in any given day.

Building the ultimate footballer

What do you guys think?

Jase likes this.
  27. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Interesting read but way too simplistic.

I'd agree with a lot of their assessments of good players and their strengths, but that would only be news to someone like my wife (she hates football).

Definitely agree with you on the Pogba-flair thing. If you'd asked me to name 10 current players with a lot of flair, he wouldn't be in there.

If they're talking about building the perfect footballer, I'd prefer to use something similar to the way Football Manager does things..

[​IMG]

Stats are 1-20 for Technical, Mental, Physical and "hidden" (consistency, injury proneness, professionalism, big game mentality etc).

For a player to be effective at any given task he usually needs to have decent numbers in at least a few complimentary stats. For him to be effective, long term, in a given position, he needs to have good numbers in usually quite a lot of stats that are considered important for that position.

28. Zinedine Biscan

29. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Delicate petal is Ronny so i hope it doesnt dent his confidence,holy shit its brilliant.lol

30. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

His hometown and they do that... lol:eh?: