Random Football debate thread

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by DeathOrGlory, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Sculptor must be a massive Messi fan.

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I guess he must have left a big scar on everyone in his hometown before he left.....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

The airport renaming has been controversial with significant opposition for it in Lisbon. Did someone from the mainland government do this despite the Madiera local government's decision?

4. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Pochettino has said he will never manage Barcelona because of his Espanyol ties. Made me wonder what ever leads someone to be an Espanyol supporter? The Atletico-Real divide I understand has a lot to do with class politics, but Barca doesn't seem to have that sort of patrician culture.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39444896

5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Nope. Local artist apparently... and even better Ronaldo saw the bust before it went to be bronzed and okayed it (with a few minor changes like smoothing out some wrinkles around the eyes). Despite it being the spit of Niall Quinn, he's apparently thrilled with it lol

6. lfc.eddie

Stem through politics and racism mate.... Espanyol are mainly Spanish founded and owned, while Barcelona was by a group of what the considered foreigners. Barcelona also see themselves as Catalans first. That's how the rivalry started....

I believe Pochettino will either took over from Zidane or go back to PSG.

inaiq likes this.
  7. lfc.eddie

Another very interesting article about Barcelona and Real Madrid....

Real Madrid and Barca will no longer dominate after Ronaldo, Messi fade

Spoke about what would happen with both club without these two, and how would they fall especially when La Liga now opting for equal share on foreign TV rights. They looked at how revenues are being generated with such big names in the club, and where they will fall once the two extraordinarily big names walked off their clubs. But.... yes there is a but.... of all the good writing, the author had to spoil it with this in the end..

They can only win the competition if they qualify for it.... come on now.

redfanman, The Elusive 19th and Jase like this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

RIP Ugo. :-(

Former England and Aston Villa defender Ugo Ehiogu has died at the age of 44 after suffering a cardiac arrest at Tottenham's training centre on Thursday.

A Spurs statement said Ehiogu died in hospital in the early hours of Friday.

Ehiogu, who was Spurs' Under-23s coach, was capped four times by England.

"Words cannot express the shock and sadness that we all feel at the club," said Tottenham's head of coaching and development John McDermott.

"Ugo's immense presence will be irreplaceable."

Ehiogu made over 200 appearances for Aston Villa between 1991 and 2000 and then spent seven years at Middlesbrough.

He won the League Cup with Villa in 1994 and 1996, and also with Boro in 2004.

The centre-back also played for West Brom, Leeds, Rangers and Sheffield United, before retiring in 2009. He began coaching at Tottenham in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39664839

------

Top notch defender in his day. And still remember one of my favourite moments of punditry, when ITV got the PL highlights deal for a couple of seasons. Watching Andy Townsend sitting in his Tactics Truck, explaining to a nonplussed Ehiogu exactly where he'd gone wrong earlier that day. Ugo looked like he'd have cheerfully throttled him.

Surprisingly, that segment was dropped quite quickly.

9. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Sad news. As a player he was always somebody who I thought was pretty underrated. Everything you read about him seems to indicate he was a genuinely good person as well. RIP.

10. Limiescouse

He was quite oddly one of my favourite players back in the day. I always felt like he was the English Desailly. 44 is no age at all. So sad.

Zinedine Biscan and inaiq like this.
  11. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

Marcus Rashford: Man Utd striker 'can be world star', says Paul Scholes - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39668405
    Hy -PER - BOLÉ, BOLÉ, BOLÉ RASHFORD, RASHFORD.
    Laughable attempt to start escalation of this young player's transfer value by our dear old gingernut mate
    The Beeb well-trained, as ever to be soundhole to the strum of the ManU guitar

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  12. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I've always felt these pundits are serving agendas of their clubs, though some, like Carra and Ferdinand, are mostly subtle about it, while Scholes usually behaves like he's a superfan on a payroll. By talking up their players, they want to raise their confidence and make the rest of the league fear them. We'll see how effective that strategy is, Premier League isn't a place that kind to young players.

That said, for discussion's sake, if Man United had to sell their youngsters, Rashford would be the one costing more than 50 million pounds. I can imagine Levy asking for him if Mourinho decides to go in for Kane, for example.

13. Zinedine Biscan

I'd never heard of this guy, but this is an utterly amazing read:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ry-of-carlos-kaiser-footballs-greatest-conman

Think this is my favourite bit:

Kaiser’s most famous – and most dangerous – scam occurred at Bangu, a small club in the West Zone and a place that has the distinction of hosting the first football match ever played in Brazil. In 1985, they came within a penalty shootout of winning the Campeonato Carioca, an achievement that would have registered extremely high on the Leicester Scale. At the time they were owned by Castor de Andrade, Brazil’s premier bichiero (somebody who operates an illegal gambling game), who was routinely described as the most dangerous man in Brazil and was great friends with the Fifa president João Havelange. Castor was not a man to mildly irk, never mind cross. After one match he chased a referee around the pitch, a gun flapping in his back pocket as he attempted to engage the ref in urgent discourse regarding a minor disparity in their interpretation of the laws of the game.

Castor signed Kaiser, prompting a newspaper headline: “BANGU HAS ITS KING”. That headline became famous, and not only because Kaiser showed it to everybody at every opportunity. When he arrived he had the usual injury problems. Castor loved him anyway, because of his cheek, his charisma, his chutzpah – and his apparently endless access to beautiful women. He loved Kaiser’s personality so much that he wanted to see its manifestation on the pitch. One weekend Kaiser was studiously continuing his rehab at 4am in Caligula nightclub when word reached him that Castor had sent an order for him to be on the bench the next day. Kaiser panicked before being reassured by the coach that he would stay as a non-playing substitute.

Bangu had a dreadful start to the match and were soon 2-0 down. Castor sent a message from the stands via walkie-talkie that it was time to unleash the star signing. Kaiser had two choices. He could go on as substitute, in which case he was dead; or he could refuse to go on, in which case he was dead. So he improvised a third option. While warming up, Kaiser heard an opposing fan call him a “long-haired faggot” and used it as an excuse to start a brawl with the away supporters. He was sent off before getting on the pitch.

Kaiser was summoned to see Castor after the game. “God has taken both my parents away but gave me another father who they accused of being a crook,” he sniffed. “So I lost it and went for them. But don’t you worry because my contract is up in a week and I’ll be off.” Castor gave him a pay rise and a contract extension.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    lfc.eddie, redfanman and Wyld@Heart like this.
  14. Wyld@Heart

15. Zinedine Biscan

16. Limiescouse

redfanman likes this.
  17. Nikola

Good article, I like reading Ronay's columns, though for the majority of time I need a dictionary.

I feel that there might be an article about his renaissance in three years' time, he's too damn talented and expensive not to be taken care of. When Bayern change their coach or when they change their old guard, Sanches will get his opportunity. These young players need confidence more than anything else, be it in training or first team appearances. About him losing a year in development, I'm not so sure. He's had the chance to train with some of the best players and, in my opinion, one of three best football managers in the world, so I'm not really buying into that "losing time" attitude - we could say that, for example, for Grujić, who is not as talented as Sanches, but highly rated by Klopp, but I don't think anyone would say he'd lost time.

I think we could find a few young players like that at big clubs, maybe the only difference this time was that Mendes made a decision to cash in on him while his stock was highest.

18. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  19. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

No panic for Sanches yet, he's at a good place I think (for now), we'll see if Carlo stays and how long. Not easy to break through at a finished top side like Bayern after, what, 1 season in Portugal? He's got Vidal ahead of him, one of the best box-to-box midfielders currently and Thiago's having his best season so far, one of the best if not the best CM in Europe on form (got a new deal the other day). Maybe they feel he didn't do a lot to merit more minutes. It's interesting and I'm still wondering how they will set their midfield up for next season. Alonso is leaving, but then you're talking about a lot of runners with Vidal, Kimmich, Sanches, Rudy joining and apparently they're interested in Keita (who would be more of a backup for Thiago).

20. Zinedine Biscan

Jonny Sharples‏Verified account @JonnyGabriel 20h20 hours ago

Shola Ameobi ringing the police because of a suspected break in, then cancelling the call out when he realised his house was just untidy.

lol lol lol

redfanman likes this.
  21. Zinedine Biscan

redfanman likes this.
  22. redfanman

The thread is just full of comedy gold. I can't imagine an LFC one would be funnier. lol

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  23. Wyld@Heart

I dunno hey... Watching Phil Babb wrapping his nads around the goalpost at the Annie Road end cracked me up no end. Was a teenager at the time and the replays still get me.

redfanman likes this.
  24. Limiescouse

Again, plenty of threads this could go into, but thought this was the most approprite as it should stimulate a discussion about the general direction of how games should be reffed...

Strootman has been given a two game penalty for diving to win a penalty against Lazio on the weekend. The league is treating it as a case of a serious breach of fair play that the ref missed.

Intuitively I think this is good, especially after the nonsense penalties given this weekend. I then take a step back and think that Lazio are potentially double screwed by this...they suffer the penalty during the match and then watch as two other sides they are potentially competing against get an easier game against Roma than they did. It also has to be done across the board to have any deterrent effect, and the next time something like is done routinely will be the first time.

redfanman likes this.
  25. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Agreed.

A shame that the technology to provide TV replays hasn't been invented yet to give an appropriator punishment in the game concerned....Such as an automatic penalty awarded in the other end + a red card for the offending player for example.

If only FIFA/UEFA had such technology available to them....

redfanman likes this.
  26. Limiescouse

This is an interesting idea - UEFA are going to experiment in the upcomming U17 Euros with what they calling the ABBA approach to penalties.

27. Nikola

Is there an official promo line for that? "You can cheat, you can dive only one time in your life..."

Limiescouse likes this.
  28. Limiescouse

I should have clarified that it was regarding shootouts.

redfanman likes this.
  29. redfanman

What's the ABBA approach?

30. lfc.eddie

A defender play acting after have a close encounter with a big striker, referee called the striker out and the striker just throw an MMA knee right on the referee's face.

Damn...