Raphael Guerreiro (LB) Lorient

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by rupzzz, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I have no idea who this lad is but SSN are now reporting that we've made an offer;

Liverpool have made an offer for left-back Raphael Guerreiro, according to the Portugal international's French club Lorient.
    French-born Guerreiro - who is in the Portugal squad for Euro 2016 - is being chased by the Reds and three other clubs this summer, according to Lorient vice-president Alex Hayes, but he says none of them has offered enough money for the 22-year-old.
    "No one wants to see Raphael leave, especially the president," Hayes told Ouest France.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10295009/liverpool-make-guerreiro-offer

2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

We were heavily linked in January.

He is a French raised LB who went through the Clairfontaine system, but elected to represent Portugal. He is good enough going forward to have been used in midfield at times, and so this has caused people to question his defensive ability, but he's played in defense on good defensive sides (Portugal U21s only conceded 1 goal in losing the Euros on Pens last year) and the move has mostly been due to a change of management at Lorient to a man who is much more defensive. In that context it might be seen as less that he isnt good enough defensively to play LB, but that the manager wanted to the stability of 2 LBs playing in front of each other.

If there is a concern it is about his current ability to deal with the more physical nature of the game in the Prem than in France.

redfanman likes this.
  3. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Sounds like another Moreno then?

4. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Except that he doesn't appear to have the defensive instincts of an easily distracted puppy...

5. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Not by my reading. Moreno was a fast attacker as a youth who got converted to LB because he doesn't have the technique to operate further forward. Guerreiro is described as being good on the ball and technically sound rather than all head down chargey like Moreno. A LB who is good enough on the ball to operate a bit further forward. Maybe Aurelio is a apt comparison.

koptician, rupzzz and redfanman like this.
  6. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I'd give my left nut for a baby Aurelio.

7. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

8. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Lets hope, if he signs, his injury record is better than Aurelio's.

redfanman likes this.
  9. STE123

STE123 Lurker

boston red likes this.
  10. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Sounds like a Bernat/Marcelo type of full back. I'm in.

redfanman likes this.
  11. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Melissa Reddy already confirmed we have no intereat in this player and Chilwell is our number one target and this player is not on back up list. See goal.com for details

12. Zinedine Biscan

Dude, seriously? I'm sure Melissa Reddy is on the more reliable end of the spectrum, but the Lorient vice-president has named us specifically. That's from the horse's mouth and is a hell of a lot more reliable than any journo. She hasn't confirmed owt. It's speculation at best.

I, personally, have no idea whether we are in for this player, but considering who it is saying we are, we'll have to assume he's not lying.

rupzzz and lfc.eddie like this.
  13. Makati Red

Read the article mate she is very specific and clearly says we have not bid besides what the vp has said as far as i am aware Melisa has been bang on the money as we always say check the Journo

To be fair goal.com used to be crap but since Melissa started working with them they are one of the better sources

14. Zinedine Biscan

She's a journo at the end of the day, not an official club source, so while given her reputation on here I would hope she's at least spoken to someone at the club before writing that report, I can think of reasons why the club would deny interest (keep the price low, don't alert rivals to our moves in the market) just as easily as I can think of reasons why the Lorient VP might tell porkies (spark an auction, get better offer for player).

It's transfer season, and the vast majority of stuff you're going to read is made up, and the rest has likely been leaked to journos by agents, selling clubs and god knows who else to serve their own interests.

As supporters we can speculate on what might be true and what might not be, but if you go round stating everything you read as fact there's a fair chance it will end up making you look a bit silly. We've got months of this to go yet, and already I'm exhausted by it.

legalalien, rupzzz, lfc.eddie and 2 others like this.
  15. Makati Red

Yes to all of that about Melissa and the writing of the article also have no idea why the VP would say we have made an offer unless he is refering to the January offer.

The bottom is no Journo with any credentials is running with this story and a Journo who has run with all our signings before most says were clearly not in for him, I choose to back Melissa every time now if Barrett or Bascombe supported th story then for me it would have some legs

16. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Really someone telling a few porkies to get a higher price? We are probably theee name drop club in the world to get someone to bid higher.

17. jgw_geneseo

Specially for a left back. Oh yeah, Liverpool has already made a bid, so...I'd trust Melissa over the VP of the selling team all day.

18. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Mmmmm. Who to trust more. A journo who, respected or otherwise, may not have all the facts, or the vice president of the players club who will have access to all the paperwork and details of any bids that are put in.

Its a no brainer. Melissa may be respected in her field, but shes still 'just' a journalist. I'd rather take the word of the clubs vice president over a journalist any day, no matter who they may be.

19. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

I'd take none of their words haha, corrupt and dodgy fuckers!

20. Makati Red

See below cleary why would Melissa be so strong in her statements and risk her reputation and I cant remember her getting anything wrong since Klopp arrived.

Liverpool have not bid for Raphael Guerreiro despite Lorient vice-president Alex Hayes claiming as much, Goal can reveal.

Leicester City's Ben Chilwell is the priority target at left-back, with the Reds escalating negotiations with the Premier League champions over the 19-year-old.

[​IMG]

The Portugal international, however, is not of interest to the Reds and they have not submitted an offer, contrary to Hayes's suggestion.

"No one wants to see Raphael leave, especially the president," he told Ouest France.

"He will only be transferred if a club makes an offer that we can't refuse.

"For the moment four major foreign clubs, including Dortmund and Liverpool, have made an offer.

[​IMG]
    "The fourth one shouldn't take too long to be made but, for the moment, none of them satisfy us. We're calm. We don't need to sell to balance the books."

The Reds have distanced themselves from any links with Guerreiro as they continue to pursue a shortlist of targets, which does not include the defender.

21. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Seriously doubt the club announce through Melissa. So you may wish to try Nina. If the club have distanced themselves, other journos should also be reporting it..

lfc.eddie likes this.
  22. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

but notice they said - we don't need to sell Guerriro to balance the books. and maybe they are being loose with the term 'made an offer'. because making an inquiry vs making an offer might be similar but still leagues apart. so how good is chillwell?

23. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Yes, enquiry's and offers are often twisted to suit each side's position.

24. jgw_geneseo

And, you'll see...the VP is expecting that 4th offer soon...so you know, you have to beat those other three offers that I just made up.

25. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Am I missing something, who the hell is Melissa Reddy. And she writes for Goal.com? Is that a wind up.

If reliability is built on reputation what has she got right so far in terms of inside information. To give her a fair crack, what is her reputation?

26. jgw_geneseo

She's on the Anfield Wrap (excellent LFC podcst)...written for goal for a year or so now, has been accurate with all of her information on targets and transfers. Here's an article on the main about her...from 2013. She has since moved to Liverpool (I think) and contributes to various media outlets, but I am mainly aware of her because of her work on TAW.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/global-lfc-family-south-africa

spooky likes this.
  27. Makati Red

She named Zielinski as a long term Klopp target before January and maybe this will be the one she gets wrong, she named all the signings well before most other Journos, Generally she doesnt give much info about signings and targets but when she does its normally very acurate

28. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

As far as I can make out shes been around roughly since September 2015 at a similar time since Klopp took over. What transfer news has there been prior to this window to build such a reputation? Steven Caulker?

29. jgw_geneseo

Try listening to TAW. If you don't want to be convinced I've got no problems with it. Scroll through her facebook page if you want to see some of the stuff she has done in the past.

30. jgw_geneseo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.