Reece Oxford (West Ham CB/DM)

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Celtic Dragon, May 25, 2016.

1. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I had wondered what happened to him. Might be an interesting deal if true. Looked promising when he made his debut.

3. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Still searching for our Dele Alli... Fantastic prospect.

4. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Doesn't seem to like the hands on approach, how will he cope with a Klopp hug?

RedCanuck099 likes this.
  5. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I certainly wouldn't mind having the next successful centre back partnership of English national team. ;-) I'm just curious as to whether this is real or just another clickbait. We already have many central midfielders of whom none are of top quality (but might become, God willing), some of them in youth teams, but no young centre backs of distinct potential (except Gomez). Oxford didn't look ready for centre back role in first team to me, though, but if Sakho's suspension doesn't extend beyond this year, I wouldn't be against relying on Oxford as the fourth choice until then.

6. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

When he made his debut, it was very much as a CDM, wasn't it? Is he projected long term to be a CB?

redfanman likes this.
  7. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Yeah, I thought he was a young defensive midfielder?

8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

He started as a defensive midfielder but he recently played as a centre back due to injuries they had. I'm not sure how good he can become and in which role, though.

9. BeautifulGame

BeautifulGame Active Member

Its pretty clearly a rubbish rumor .The same author wrote few days back Man united are interested in Oxford and broke it as similarly an exclusive.

Clearly stories feed by the agent to stoke interest among clubs/get a better deal.

Not even sure why this has a separate thread.Should be in the unreliable rumors thread imo

10. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I wouldn't discount it as clearly being a rubbish rumour. Unreliable yes, but he has rejected a new contract and there were murmurs of us being interested in him last year. Would hope that we keep tabs on all of the most promising players in the country.

Pocketed Ozil on his debut like, not something to be scoffed at. Don't recall him playing much other than in the opening months of the season, he did impress against some very good teams away from home as a DM. As with all young lads it's hard to make much of a judgement this early in his career and with such little experience behind him. The talk is he wanted pretty hefty wages which West Ham aren't willing to pay. We've taken a similar stance with a few other lads this year and they've moved on or will move on. If we are indeed compete with all the mancs and arse then a hefty wage package might be necessary.

redfanman likes this.
  11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

We were in for him last summer.

12. Celtic Dragon

Because its not quite so much a rubbish rumour as you seem to think, its not the first time we've been linked with Oxford, and it has its own thread because its from the Daily Mirror - a respected British tabloid. Not one of the banned or unreliable sources listed on this site.

13. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Even as someone who reads the Mirror (website, anyway)... I think you're over-selling it just a teeny bit lol

Interesting if we are in for him. West Ham also want Benteke. I wonder if there's a joint deal of some kind to be done.

redfanman likes this.
  14. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Now there's an oxymoron if ever I saw one!

lol

As for Oxford himself, one of my friends is a West Ham season ticket holder and he has been raving about Reece for a couple of years now. The lad is held in very high regard and the Irons wouldn't let him leave on the cheap.

redfanman likes this.
  15. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

What would we do with him? Is he already good enough for serious game time? Not sure. We have enough youth in positions he plays. I guess the best thing for him would be to remain where he is or go out on loan.

16. BeautifulGame

BeautifulGame Active Member

If u seriously think Daily Mirror is respected or reliable when it comes to Liverpool transfer rumors then u have no clue frankly .

This is the tabloid where John Cross is the chief football editor.

17. Celtic Dragon

The Mirror is looked on more favourably than The S*n, The Star, The Daily Mail, The Daily Express and others of their ilk. Thats all I meant.

redfanman and ILLOK like this.
  18. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

It's never about the paper and always about the Journo

Kanonkop and redfanman like this.
  19. Magic Feet

Magic Feet Well-Known Member

Except when it's the Sun.

Iluvatar and redfanman like this.
  20. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

This kid has the frame of Stewart but is much more talented (and actually young!). I could definitely see him as a real option for the first team in a year or less, as opposed to Stewart or even Grujic. A player like this would allow Can to play with more freedom and less responsibility and permit Henderson to influence things on the attacking end. It's probably not reliable but I'd like to see us bring in someone like him. Bonus that he can play at CB.

21. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Nope - certain papers traditionally have an agenda against LFC and one particular paper should NEVER have any of its articles quoted in any Liverpool related forum, it is downright offensive to do so.

If Joyce went to that rag are you saying you would read it or even worse buy the bastard paper ? Surely not sir surely not !!!!!!!!!!!

koptician and redfanman like this.
  22. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Didn't realise his agent was the knob Ward.. Doubt this has any legs.

23. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

That's enough for me to not want anything to do with this lad

Born_red and darkvoid like this.
  24. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Sad but true. Seems like a potential talent, but we don't want anything to do with Ward, so give it a swerve.

25. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

Maybe I'm just cynical but I doubt West Ham do have long term plans for this lad. Something about the way he was brought through, over promoted, made U21 captain, big stocky lad with all the physical tools... I think he's prime "big club" bait.

West Ham are going to sell him early and for big money to someone who thinks they are buying the next great DM/CB almost entirely based on his outstanding physical attributes. I think that has been their plan since he was 14 or even younger.

1dragon and redfanman like this.
  26. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

Aidy Ward is his agent, on that alone he can fuck right off

Born_red and darkvoid like this.
  27. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

We have Gomez. Agent click bait warning.

28. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

Didn't watch much of this player, but we did have a player that impressed against Arsenal about 5 seasons back. Damien Plessis anyone? Bossed the midfield that day, labeled as the new Patrick Vieria, but now not doing as well as expected.

As @Sweeting has pointed out, this seems to be a ploy by West Ham to extract maximum cash for him. If he was so good, why did he not feature more prominently during the season ahead of the more experienced players? Are we getting a player similar to Wisdom?

29. StevenAlonso

StevenAlonso Member

Not a chance then..Non Starter..

30. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

Not saying it's likely to happen at all, but the kid's only 17 and West Ham were a better side than us this season. How many 17 year old players did we have featuring in our side prominently? Sure, once we gave up on the Premier League we had a few more, but West Ham never capitulated like we did so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to question his ability based on the fact that he didn't feature more. Stewart's 22 and only featured as much as he did because of an injury crisis and the fact that we no longer cared about competing domestically by March. Had we been challenging he may have had 3-4 appearances at most.

noremac likes this.