retrospective ban for divers

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by geebo, May 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

1. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

I just read that the FA are bringing in a "retrospective ban for divers" next season. Ex players, mangers and refs will be on the panel that makes the decision.

Any views on this?

I actually (for the first time) agree with Fat Sam who (basically) says : What about the guy who gets booked (for diving) but he didnt) ? Will they just say to him: Better luck next time lad ! Why not have TV technology monitoring the game, and make the decisions for BOTH cases during the game ! But by just retroactively punishing one, you are treating one problem but ignoring others, which makes an unfair system just as unfair as before , only now it costs more !!!

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

As Carragher said.. Utd are fucked.

Jimmyscase and redfanman like this.
  3. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Only when more information is being revealed as to what will trigger this panel to review each incident, who are assigned to the panel and how would the ban be carried out (without warning or with first warning and start banning them diving cunts). Without that information it is hard for one to make anything out of this other than, hmmmm....

redfanman likes this.
  4. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

5. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

It's a step in the right direction for me. The only downside is that, on its own, it's more prevention than cure. Normally that would be a good thing, but not if the result of a match is still affected by it.

I'm guessing, particularly after the first few players get knobbled, they're hoping it makes players less likely to do it, but it would be better if they used it in conjunction with VAR.

VAR to determine during the game, with minimal delay, if a penalty should be given. Then the ban panel after the match to decide if a player dived.

6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Answered the last part of my question., how is it triggered and who is going to be on the panel? Didn't they already have a panel to give out bans that referee failed to call a foul? Odd to start this panel...

geebo and redfanman like this.
  7. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Given how eager pundits are likely to tarnish some players over diving while praising others for their ingenuity or having no choice I do wonder how equitable this will be.

8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

At least Rooney will be safe. As everyone knows by now, he's never dived.

SBYM and redfanman like this.
  9. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I think it's a good idea in principle but can probably only work in instances where there is zero contact and the ref misses it.

If there is minimal contact and the player goes down hard, can the panel really determine how much effect the touch had? At enough speed it can only take a small touch to unbalance a runner.

redfanman likes this.
  10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

If they were smart they would be getting ref's to award penalties for a foul but the player doesn't go down. The problem is unless a player goes to ground a penalty isn't awarded, yes there are cheats but inherently the issue comes from not awarding clear penalties through contact, so players know they need to go down to get it so minimal contact means the over-theatrical antics we see now.

Chewbazza likes this.
  11. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

agree. All other instances will be subjective. I think that has to be accepted, and so they'll probably err on the side of caution for the first few seasons.. where there's any doubt, they'll rule in the player's favour. If they went the other way and handed out bans willynilly, it would be too contentious and probably get binned before we got to see the benefits.

12. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Tom Daley's fucked then!

Jase and redfanman like this.
  13. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

Thanks for the link. It looks a lot clearer to me now. I was worried for five minutes like you, that I might agree with Fat Sam and now it's clear either a) fat Sam didn't realise how clear cut the deception has to be or b) he coaches his whole squad on how to dive effectively - and sees the days of his style of manager as even more numbered than before or c) both.

geebo likes this.
  14. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

The Telegraph will no doubt do an expose on Allardyce where he reveals that you can get around this retrospective ban on diving by not diving in the first place. He's such a dodgy bastard.

redfanman, geebo and Limiescouse like this.
  15. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

About time. Needs to be implemented in Europe too.

16. Alex

Alex since 2004

imagine the panel being fergie, neville and mike riley...

redfanman likes this.