RIP Johann Cryuff

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by legalalien, Mar 24, 2016.

1. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

2. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

3. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

The Cruyff turn

RIP

Maria likes this.
  4. Miklo

Miklo TIA's Cruijffonian

Simply crushed by the news. Much more then a legend. Sad day for football

5. Genius

Genius The Somewhat Normal One

I never got to watch the legend play as I wasn't even born yet.
    But my favourite move was the Cruyff turn. Watching old youtube videos of him in his prime was a sight to behold.
    Got my inspiration from him, scored a few cheeky solo goals with that
    Rest In Peace, you will be remembered forever
    [​IMG]

koptician likes this.
  6. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

The first I heard of him was when we played this famous match https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_5–1_Liverpool_(1966)

I remember listening on the radio & seeing the highlights on TV later that night. You could barely see the action with the thick fog. Probably should never have gone ahead.

I also vividly recall going to Anfield for the return leg believing what Shanks had told us that we would overturn the deficit. We gave it a real go but it was not to be & ended 2-2 with 2 goals from JC.

Truly one of the greats...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Maria likes this.
  7. Genius

8. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

Cruyff is up there, right up there when it comes to football's all time greats. I would put him up with Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbaur, Moore, Yashin, Banks, Platini, Maldini and Maradonna in my lifetime.

Very sad news. A great loss to football as well of course to his family and close friends!

9. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Very shocked to find this thread when logging in.

RIP Johan, YNWA

10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I was a little guy, living in Italy at the time in 1974. World Cups were about the only football that was broadcast other than Serie A. I remember the Italian commentators just exploding during the NL game against Sweden, when Cruyff did what was really the first Cruyff Turn the world had seen. He must have done it before, and in a match, but even today the TV reach of Dutch footy is limited. When Cruyff did it in that World Cup, it was a generational leap forward in the game. I remember from a documentary years later, Rivellino telling how when Brazil got back from Germany in 1974, all the kids in the street were practicing Cruyff turns.

koptician and Genius like this.
  11. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Tragic loss. Probably the greatest footballer to never win the World Cup.

Fuck cancer.

Fester likes this.
  12. kotsebotse

kotsebotse TIA New Signing

I'm not old enough to have watched him playing, but as a coach/manager for me he is one of the greatest the game has seen. He built the Barcelona dream team MK1 and at the same time built the base for the future success of the club.
    Looked like a great person as well.

RIP Johan

Red Armada likes this.
  13. POBox

POBox TIA Reserve Team

Everyone is condemning this post from the club. Saying cheap publicity and self centered from LFC.

14. Genius

Not exactly, its just a minority

15. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I am so shocked and saddened to hear the news. He was a genius, a most complete and versatile player to grace the footballing arena and he was a revolutionary in the way football is played today. I was a bit too young to see him play in the early 70s, but my Dad always, always mentioned Johan Cruyff in such high reverance because that 1974 World Cup and what he had achieved at Ajax. I heard about Ajax because of him.

Many players who played under him and Barcelona FC owe their success today to Cruyff 's vision for how football should be played. Total football at it's best, total player who totally mesmerised fans around the world. A sad day for football.

RIP.#Legend

16. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

RIP to a true legend of the game. He was one of the few players to make the beautiful game seem so effortless.

[​IMG]

I remember as a young whipper snapper trying to do this before I could even dribble properly. Needless to say it didn't look anything as majestic as he made it look

lfc.eddie likes this.
  17. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

Rip 14. What a player you were. Cut us to ribbons when you were just a teenager - a sign of great things to come. Easily in the top 5 players of all time. Really sad news.

Fester likes this.
  18. Fester

You could probably add Puskas, di Stefano, Eusebio, Yashin and Charles to the list of great footballers who never won the greatest footballing prize of all. All sadly are no longer with us! :-(

inaiq and ubermick like this.
  19. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Yup. But what Cruyff has done not only on the pitch as a player, but off it as a coach and manager (and ambassador) really sets him apart. At least those other greats (all tragic losses, you're right!) made it to their 70s! :-(

20. Fester

Agreed but you did say 'footballer' and you were referring to never winning the World Cup. Managerial and Ambassadorial roles are another matter altogether!

21. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

The Renaissance Man of football.... a very big loss for all of us big football fans.

Some of his famous quotes that I like...

Cruyff in quotes
    On himself:
    • "In a way, I'm probably immortal."
    • "If I wanted you to understand it all, I would have explained it better."
    • "Actually, I never make a mistake, because it takes a huge effort for me to make a mistake."
    • "I don't believe in God. In Spain, all 22 players cross themselves. If it works, the game is always going to be a tie."
    On football and his philosophy:
    • "Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is."
    • "Italians can't win the game against you, but you can lose the game against the Italians."
    • "Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring."
    • "It's better to go down with your own vision than with someone else's."
    • "In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker and the striker the first defender."
    • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • "Why couldn't you beat a richer club? I've never seen a bag of money score a goal.

22. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Cruyff was also nicknamed 'Pythagoras in Boots' because of the complexity and precision of his angled passes. He played with such grace, technique, accuracy and vision.

23. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

Someone who did a lot for football, on and off the pitch. RIP.

24. Fester

Do you know what? Cruyff is one of those sportsmen where the more you think about them after their passing, the more you remember, the more you realise and you just think ... "WOW!!!"

Forgot to thank the great man for everything he did for football including turning the 1974 World Cup into a memorable event after the demise of the great 1970 Brazilian World Cup side and Pele's retirement from international football. Only a truly great player could ever have achieved that!

inaiq likes this.
  25. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Absolutely shocked. I remember reading about Cruyff as a kid (pre YouTube) and the concept of total football.

What a shame the Dutch didn't manage to win the World Cup in the 70s.

The man has left a huge legacy in his relatively short life. Simply incredible that I'm teaching kids 40 years later in Australia the Cryuff turn!

RIP and I'm feeling for those Ajax and Barca fans today.

26. Mada

Mada TIA Bench

I am saddened to hear the news of Cruyff's passing. He was the hero of my youth.

In 1979 Cruyff came to the US to play in the North American Soccer League for the LA Aztecs. The coach on my 12 year old youth team worked in the front office for the team and throughout the season motivated our team by telling us if we won the league he would introduce us to Johan Cruyff. Well this was very motivating for a young kid and we rode that motivation to the championship.

Good to his word the coach set up an opportunity to meet Cruyff the following week. The entire team arrived on the field of the Pasadena Rose Bowl where the Aztecs played expecting Cruyff to stride out, greet us and go on his way. To our great surprise Cruyff ran out of the stadium in training gear and boots and we had the most glorious game of football I have ever played. Cruyff laughed, offered suggestions and generally schooled us as we tried in vain to dispossess him of the ball. It is one of the best memories of my youth and made him that much more of a colossal legend in my mind.

He was one of the greats! RIP Mr. Cruyff, thanks for the memories.

ubermick, RazvanLFC, Maria and 8 others like this.
  27. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

RIP Cruyff.

not ging to pretend I have a close association to what the man ment to the game, very limited exposure to European football in Australia whilst he was playing.

have read a bit on him, and get the level of respect. a great footballer who inspired a generation during his playing career, and defined a club during his managerial career.

28. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

RIP...not only a legendary player but also a revolutionary coach!

Easily one of the greatest of all time.

29. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

What an awesome story mate!

RazvanLFC, Mada and Maria like this.
  30. Dutch

Dutch Active Member Valued Member

Nice touch by the City of Amsterdam, the shareholders of the Amsterdam Arena, Ajax and of course the Cruijff family.

Next season Ajax will be playing their homegames in the Johan Cruijff ArenA.

Zoran, Mada, football.tiger and 5 others like this.