Ryan KENT: 2016/17 (on loan at Barnsley)

Discussion in 'U21s & U18s' started by Nikola, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

First Name: Ryan
    Surname: Kent
    Squad Number: 40
    Position: Midfield
    Height: 1.72m
    Weight: 65kg
    D.O.B.: 11.11.1996.
    Town of Birth: Oldham
    Country of Birth: England
    Nationality: English

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Kent: "I’m delighted to sign for Barnsley, I am really looking forward to what the season holds for me. I have spoken to Paul (Heckingbottom) quite a lot over the last few weeks about how I am going to fit into the team and how we are looking to play this season. I feel I can bring a lot of excitement to the team, I can play on either side of the wing or behind the striker, I’m really lucky to be gifted with both feet which helps my game out a lot. I have a lot of speed and flair so I am looking forward to playing with the other players, hopefully we can build a good chemistry and get some good wins.”

Barnsley head coach Paul Heckingbottom: “We first enquired about Ryan last summer and we’ve continually monitored his progress, so I’m absolutely delighted to have him as part of our squad for next season. We saw a lot of him last season and he made a huge impression at Coventry. Playing out on either wing, he is fearless, and loves to take on his man and get balls into the box. Not only that, he can finish – as we saw against us at the Ricoh Arena last season! He’s one of the most highly rated youngsters in the country and now he has a great opportunity to step up and show us what he can do in the Championship. We beat off a number of Championship clubs to secure his signature which is testament to us as a Club and our ability to nurture up and coming talent. I’m very grateful to Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool for allowing Ryan to continue his development with us here at Barnsley and I’m really excited about seeing him in action”.

3. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I forgot, is he on loan or is this a permanent deal?

4. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

I think he is on loan for the season.

5. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Then, he can be called, if required no?

6. Mystryman01

Mystryman01 Active Member

Can only be called to return to Liverpool in the winter transfer window, otherwise will be there for the full season, as per the new rules regarding loans

Maria likes this.
  7. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

My understanding, with the new rules, a loan contract is up to the next transfer window. He can come back for treatment etcc. but cannot be registered to play until the next transfer window.

Edit @Mystryman01 .. ditto

Maria likes this.
  8. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

He can also only be recalled in January if we (the club) have the option to do so as part of the loan deal. I'm sure we will have that option but it's worth pointing out.

inaiq likes this.
  9. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I presume part of his loan deal stipulates he must play 75% of the games. Will definitely be keeping an eye on Barnsley this season.

I also like his confidence.

10. Nikola

11. Zoran

12. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

This lad looks the part.

13. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Looks like a livewire, and pretty physical for a speedy winger, all of which bodes well for his future here. It would be nice if this was one of the rare examples of the loan system actually working to our advantage.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  14. Nikola

I'm still cautious about his and Ojo's prospects as they still have notable problems with decision making, regardless of their age. Their talent levels are frightening, though, Kent's application in games, his "bite", is the reason why I immediately fell in love with him when I first saw him play some four years ago, at times it was like having kid version of Mascherano on the wing. I just don't like to see him dribble at every possible opportunity because often there are simpler solutions. Great to see him growing in confidence, though, as ZB said, this could be one of those rare loans that actually works in our favour.

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Agree with everything above, seems to have grown and bulked up massively, always though he was a similar build/height to Wilson. Wealth of quality, wonder how we'll have room for them all!

16. Zoran

Still wild and takes rash decisions, still seems too willing to impress. No disaster yet of course, he's still 20. Makes him exciting to watch as a fan and want him to succeed, but... we'll see if he improves enough for this level. Nice to him press well and keep that hunger in his game. Was disappointed when Klopp took Markovic over him to America, but on the other hand I understood completely if Klopp felt Kent's football is still some way off his principal team-work ideas (and needed just game time at senior level to iron that out and start playing more maturely).

17. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

18. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

Decent goal v Wigan. Good technique but dodgy goalkeeping mind

19. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Definitely a successful loan considering that he's played 75% of available minutes in the league this season, and only one other u21 has featured more. Scoring only 3 goals and 3 assists is a bit underwhelming though given that he's played as much as he has.

I've been a fan of his since Brendan's time and thought he (and Markovic) would have a good chance of making it under Klopp given his penchant for fast wingers, but I'm not so sure anymore. He's still young at 20, but given the level of competition at Liverpool one would think that he really needs to increase his attacking output to be considered for a position in the front 3.

Watching some of the YT clips of his performances does make it seem like he is a bit more selfish on the ball than Klopp would like. As others have said his decision making isn't always the best as he often chooses to dribble instead of making the quick and easy pass.

That said, he undoubtedly has a lot of natural talent, and some weaknesses can be improved on with some training of course. It would be very surprising to see him in the squad next season though as we need to sign a senior winger to back up Mané and contribute in the first team already next season.

A good preseason and he might force himself into contention but the most likely scenario is that he gets another Championship loan to try to improve further, or perhaps he'll go the way of Canos if someone offers a good deal. Hopefully he'll show something in preseason to impress Klopp because he looks to be a very entertaining player :-)

20. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I wonder if the decision with Markovic was driven by wanting to take a look at him further in training. With Kent, he had probably seen enough to let him stay back in England. Definitely interesting to see if he makes the trip with the first team this summer.