Ryan Sessegnon (LB) Fulham

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Kopstar, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Confirmation that the club is 'interested' in Fulham LB, Ryan Sessegnon. We are also 'monitoring' him and may even be 'preparing to swoop'. All pretty creepy stuff given he's just 16.

Hopefully we'll bag him. Err.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor.../who-liverpool-target-ryan-sessegnon-12755019

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...erpool-consider-swoop-ryan-sessegnon-12754182

He looks promising though and played very well recently against Rafa's Newcastle. Personally would rather we went for him than Chilwell when it comes to a young player with potential. Still feel we need an older hand as well to allow him to settle without the pressure of being expected to deliver for the first team from the outset.

Thoughts?

Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
  2. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Surely one for the U21, and to be nurtured for the future?

3. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

How much will he cost considering he is 16. 2 to 5m with 25% of future sale? Or a tribunal will be decide? Surely one for future and should be slowly introduced. We don't want to burn out all these youngsters too early like Owen, Fowler, Torres, DS, etc.

4. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

While I genuinely hope we get this kid (he seems to have the build, pace, energy and attacking inclination that Klopp wants from his fullbacks), there is always that question about his development. Maybe he could develop into left-sided version of Alexander-Arnold in a few years but he won't be getting regular first team football here over the next two or three years as he's probably nowhere near the first team, he's not even 17 years old. That said, Klopp wanted Chilwell who was also young and unproven, maybe he'll go after a young fullback again, who knows. Those fullback positions are key to all attacking systems today, no wonder he wants to develop some from very young age.

5. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I think we were rumoured to have offered around £15m for him in January, with Fulham wanting £20m.

The Elusive 19th likes this.
  6. redfanman

How often are first teamers signed and put back into the U21s? Perhaps the u23's with some first team games? (saying that, i dont know how physically developed he is)

7. The Elusive 19th

:shocked::shocked:
    That's a ridiculous amount for a 16 year old. And that too for a Left back.
    Hope he solves our LB problem for the next 15 years.:?:

redfanman and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  8. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

9. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Man, it's difficult to evaluate a LB off a YT highlights reel, isn't it? Particularly when the lad is up against Championship defences. He does look quick, though, and has some end product. He certainly doesn't play like a 16yo, though. I like him, hope it happens.

kwala and redfanman like this.
  10. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

If you want the best talents around then you either pay big money or you won't get them. If you don't gamble sometimes in the transfer market then you won't win the PL/CL.

FGred likes this.
  11. The Elusive 19th

I welcome this move and don't have anything against signing him. And i agree with what you said - but what you said is not for a 16 year old - it's for 18-22 year olds.
    To put some perspective we paid 600k raising to 5m for a 15 year old snake. If we pay 20m that could probably be the highest ever in history (i am not sure though) for that age range! And it's for a LB - that's the more surprising thing. Maybe Klopp / staff look at him as a future winger.

12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Sterling was 14 I think when we signed him, and he also wasn't playing first-team football like Sessegnon is.... it was also quite a long time ago and all prices, particularly domestically, have gone even more crazy since then.

Livvy and redfanman like this.
  13. Elessar

It is very difficult to say if a 16 year old, soon 17, is a left back or left winger. He could even end up playing in other positions.

14. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Transfer prices are ridiculous and for me sometimes ruins the progress of players who cost a lot whilst still learning their trade,I think it affects some players to the point where they cant concentrate on progressing because of ludicrous transfer fees paid for them.

15. Elessar

I doubt that this would a problem this time. We don't pay top class wages to a young talent. Other clubs will or already have offered him much higher wages. So money isn't priority one for him.

If we sign him then it is because he see Klopp and us as his best option.

16. redfanman

I think he may have started out as a winger but was moved to LB, same as TAA was on the right flank. He has played as a winger in some games this season and some comparisons have already been made with Bale in that he will be pushed forward permanently at some point in his career, which may help explain the price.

Fullback can be a tricky position to buy for because it can be difficult getting a player who can attack and defend equally well because many fullbacks have been converted from wingers or CBs. I cant remember but i think someone said that Klopps fullbacks at Dortmund had originally been wingers?

17. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

16 yr olds who who have cemented a spot in first 11 and scored some goals from LB don't come with youth pricing. They're found with the expensive merchandise.

Hope we land him and all 547 targets we're linked with between now and September 1st. Get it done already Gordon!

18. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

We're upgrading Moreno with a 16 year old!

Never seen him play but alot of people rate him very highly.

19. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Can't day I'm sold......though as with Bale might regret if we don't and having hand forced doesn't sit well

redfanman likes this.
  20. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

My 81 year old Aunt Beryl would be a significant upgrade on Moreno.

21. Bonus

Bonus TIA New Signing

For that sort of cash, I would rather go for Teirney at Celtic,

22. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Steve_LFC and Hope in your heart like this.
  23. The Elusive 19th

Instead of buying Lallana, Loveren, Lambert, Clyne and Mane for approx 95m, we should really have bought Soton when senior Liebherr passed away. could save us a ton of time in negotiation. And we can easily loan their best players to us every season or sell to us for 1 pound.;-)

StrongINTheAir likes this.
  24. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Klopp probably wouldn't agree to this as, not unnaturally, he likes to control players' development, but what about buying him and loaning him back to Fulham for one season? He would almost certainly get more first team minutes there than he would with us.

BTW what about that Spanish lad Juanma that we picked up at the start of the season? Has anyone seen in him action? Is he likely to get some first team time next season?

25. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

This will be okay with me if we get a suitable upgrade who will contribute NOW. I get it. But low sell high. But let's also upgrade with quality.

26. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Madness if we pay 15 or 20 mil for a 17 year old utter madness. I would expect more like 5 or 7 absolute tops with a big sell on fee like 20% or something like the Sterling deal with QPR.

He looks well advanced for a 16/17 year old but I hope it doesn't mean we are pinning our hopes on him for a few seasons time and are going to persist with Milner and Moreno in the mean time because we won't win a thing with either of those two at LB as our primary option. Happy for Milner to back up the full back posies on both sides behind legitimate options like Clyne and maybe a Rodrigues or someone of that quality with TAA and Sessegnon to take up the supporting roles and hopefully the first team role in a few years.

27. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Remember when £10 million was too much ten years ago for Gareth Bale just before he turned 18? Yeah about that!

If he's good enough he's old enough and if he's truly a top young talent I'd prefer him to be with us than one of our rivals. We'd probably develop him better and also give him more chance to shine.

I also don't think signing him, in and of itself, would be a reason for us not signing another LB too. Decisions regarding the amount of change amongst the squad and how many others we need to bring in along with the finances required might do.

Ideal we bring in Kolasinac and along with Clyne we have Milner challenging those two for starts whilst also having two of the most exciting young talents around in Sessegnon and Alexander-Arnold. However we would probably cope next year if we didn't bring in Kolasinac and only brought in this kid. I'd prefer us not having to "cope" of course but think, long term, this deal may become the most important.

RobLFC likes this.
  28. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Transfer fees have rocketed over the last few years; if we adopt the "Bah- in my day we signed kids for tuppence" ethos, we're not going to be able to compete.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  29. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Not impressed with this idea at all. He is too young for our first team and the speculated fee is nonsense. What I think we need is an experienced proper left back, someone like Kolasinac or Hector with Milner as a brilliant back up.

Then a young lad to develop, such as Juanma, Chilwell or this guy as long as he's not too expensive (under £10m).

Steve_LFC likes this.
  30. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

I'm surprised anyone thinks we can get him on the cheap. We are talking about a 16 year old defender who has scored 6 goals and got 3 assists in 19 appearances this season (sometimes while played as a winger).

He is not comparable to Sterling as Sessegnon has already proven his talent at Championship level.