Ryan Sessegnon (LB) Fulham

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Kopstar, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

The one thing I learn about the Alli and Bale incident is that, if we have a chance to sign a 16 year old who can score for fun as a full back, let's not worry too damn much. Buy him now. Not like after we buy him the owners are going to tell Klopp to play him.

FGred, schmee and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  2. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Why? He has been fantastic. Luke Shaw was playing premier league football at 17. If he finds the championship this easy he will be able to make the step up.

Dele Alli was only doing it in league 1, went to the premier league and took to it like a duck to water immediately. This lad could easily do the same.

FGred, Maria, ptt and 4 others like this.
  3. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Well, can't argue with that... :-)

4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Also the plan is for Clyne to switch sides and TAA play (who is more than ready based on this season.)

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I hope that isn't the plan for us going for Sessegnon. If it is, I think Klopp needs his head examine.

afrikana likes this.
  6. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Pretty brave from us if we're counting on Trent and this fella to be our direct full back backups next season.

Iluvatar, redfanman and lfc.eddie like this.
  7. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Personally if we had both on the field at same time this whole experiment with a back three would be a whole lot more valid

8. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Ah, but if it works...TAA marauding down one side and this 16 yr old who's been named in Championship team of the year marauding down another in a few years...*

Could be best set of attacking fullbacks in the league for years. This approach is working well at Spurs right now.

I've said before, I wouldn't blink if TAA had to play 5-10 games on the trot next year in place of either fullback. I think he's ready and it would really help him out knowing he's the one for an extended period of time (if Clyne or Milner get injured). I think he's more than ready for that. Both Clyne and Milner have excellent health records, so an extended time period where both are out is unlikely. But Sessegnon has shown he's ready for step up from Championship, even if he is only 16 right now. I'd think a similar run for him in the side, albeit I'd not want a 5-10 game run from him, maybe 3-5 games in row at a time, would be good for him as well. And I'd think he'd be 4th choice fullback- TAA backs up Clyne, and if Milner goes down, Clyne to the left and TAA slots in on the right. But for all the problems we've had keeping first 11 fit, fullback hasn't been an area of concern. I'd hate to miss out on him because our reserve RB is also young.

*this approach may not help stabilize the defense. But will be fun to watch.

FGred and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  9. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Walker and Rose both had a different path, a couple years of experience elsewhere.

redfanman likes this.
  10. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Yup, looking 3-4 yrs away...looks good. Agree might not be the best approach for next year, but reserve fullbacks are the last thing on my list of where I'd want to see good depth, and so if the reserve fullbacks are both young bright as button prospects...I can live with it.

11. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

12. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Perhaps a key piece from that Echo article is this:
    Liverpool have been linked with a £8million move for Hull City left-back Andy Robertson but Sessegnon is their preferred option.

FGred, lfc.eddie and redfanman like this.
  13. kenno91

kenno91 TIA New Signing

at this moment in time id try buy this lad and loan him back to Fulham while trying our best to see if we could sign Walker from Spurs as there's unrest there and he's a good defender and going forward he isn't bad either

14. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Wrong side. Walker plays RB and if we spent any money there when we've got Clyne and TAA I'll be joining the @RedForever2014 choir about how shit we are at transfers.

Anfield rd Dreamer and redfanman like this.
  15. Elessar

Clyne don't fit our system. He isn't good enough in the attacking half. TAA is much better in the attacking half and because of that fit our system much better.

16. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

And this means we should be after Walker because...? We don't play 3 at the back and Walker is terrible in a back four.

Anfield rd Dreamer and redfanman like this.
  17. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

And TAA has the potential to be the best right back in the league.

RaoulDuke and redfanman like this.
  18. Elessar

We shouldn't be after Walker but we need a better attacking right back than Clyne. TAA is right now our best option if we want to score goals. Clyne is overrated.

19. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Clyne just struggles when playing with someone ahead of him who plays very narrow, and doesn't beat the fullback etc. No surprise when Mane was in the team Clyne looked a lot better. He's also played too many games this season so looks mentally and physically fatigued.. Needs a good rest and hopefully TAA will get more minutes next season giving us a different option.

FGred and redfanman like this.
  20. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I can forgive Clyne his late season dip in form, as he has virtually played every game. He is probably exhausted.

Like others have said, his position is hardly a priority.

21. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

We don't even need a better attacker at FB, we just need to let Clyne do what he does best and defend/support play. We have the best attack in the league when all are fit - I feel we over rely on poor attacking full backs when Mane, Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino would much prefer to have the space they occupy to play in.

22. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Almost all of Clyne's attacking ability comes from his ability to get up and down the pitch and provide overlaps. With the way teams defend against us there just isn't any space to overlap into and so instead whenever he gets on the ball it is tighter spaces with defenders in front of him. That requires something far cleverer most attacking full backs have in their locker.

redfanman likes this.
  23. carragold

carragold TIA Youth Team

Clyne is our most solid defender in a defence that let's in more goals than it should. He is very reliable when it comes to defending and it's hard to remember the last time it could be said he was at fault for letting a goal in. He reminds me of Arbeloa, solid and reliable. It's not easy to find a FB who can attack as good as he can defend. At this moment in time, the defense needs Clyne's defensive ability.

FGred likes this.
  24. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

He has been responsible in part or fully for several goals recently.

25. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

I agree with @redfanman. He has failed to track players on at least 3 goals in the last couple of months. I wouldn't be preaching his defensive prowess at this stage.

He could be physically buggered at this stage of the season, but it worries me if you are all correct and TAA is his backup next season, because why isn't TAA getting games now to give Clyne a rest? Either we will get another RB in the summer or Klopp doesn't see any issues with Clyne's play in the forward half and the truth is more in line with what @Limiescouse said above about teams clogging up space ahead of him and our lack of pace ahead with Mane injured.

redfanman likes this.
  26. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

When you open up the VVD thread and the discussion is about Sakho's celebration then you open up the Sessegnon thread and the discussion is about if Clyne is good, shit or somewhere in between, it kind of implies that these threads were opened waaaaay too early.

Time for me to self-impose a ban on the rumour mill until June 1st.

redfanman likes this.
  27. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Feel free to do that but you need to book your annual leave from the 31st Fecember to the 2st February.

28. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Or Klopp values Clyne stability over TAA at this hectic time when experienced heads are needed?

29. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

There's clearly a very logical approach being taken in building this squad, and Clyne/Trent and Milner/Sessegnon are combo's that make perfect sense in the long-run.

Due to Trent & Sessegnon's young ages, Clyne and Milner will most likely continue being first choice for another 1-2 seasons, at which stage Trent & Sessegnon would be primed and thus Klopp wluld have two young fullbacks perfectly suited to his attacking system, along with two very dependable and experienced backups in Clyne and Milner:

2017/18
    Clyne (26) ---- Milner (31)
    Trent (18) ---- Sessegnon (17)

2019/20
    Trent (20) ----- Sessegnon (19)
    Clyne (28) ----- Milner (33)

Needless to say, once Trent and Sessegnon are comfortably established as first choice it would be time to phase out Clyne and Milner (as their wages wouldn't be justified as backups anymore).

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  30. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

If you think Milner will be playing back-up LB for us in two/three years time, you are deluded.

Okay. I really am going now.

inaiq and redfanman like this.