Sadio Mane (RW) Southampton

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Zoran, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Liverpool set for next Southampton swoop after Gotze snub: Man United also eyeing £25m ace

LIVERPOOL have lined up a move for Sadio Mane in another raid on Southampton after their hopes of recruiting Mario Gotze receded.

By Paul Joyce
    PUBLISHED: 22:30, Thu, May 26, 2016

The Anfield club are ready to rival Manchester United and Tottenham in the chase for the Senegal attacker, who is rated at around £25m.

It would be the fifth time they have looked to St Mary's for reinforcements in the last two years having previously signed Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne and Rickie Lambert.

Mane, 24, scored 15 goals for Southampton last season, including two against Jurgen Klopp's side back in March when Liverpool surrendered a two goal advantage in a 3-2 defeat.

The interest in Mane has been prompted by German World Cup winner Gotze's claims that he wants to stay at Bayern Munich where he has one year left to run on his contract.

Gotze was nurtured by Klopp at Borussia Dortmund and the Liverpool manager was keen to rekindle their relationship and bringing him to Merseyside where he could revive his fortunes.

But Gotze has indicated he wants to remain at Bayern even though chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has urged him to leave the club and warned new coach Carlo Ancelotti is not counting on him.

Klopp's high regard for Gotze means he retains an interest in the player, who has just split with long-term agent Volker Struth, but has had to consider alternative targets.

Mane moved to Southampton for £11.8m in 2014 from Red Bull Salzburg and was the subject of strong interest from United last season.

Liverpool have already concluded a deal for goalkeeper Loris Karius for £4.7m, while deals were previously agreed with Marko Grujic and Joel Matip to join this summer.

Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Mahmoud Dahoud is Klopp's first choice to bolster his midfield, while negotiations are ongoing with Leicester for left-back Ben Chilwell.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...League-Transfer-News-Jurgen-Klopp-Mario-Gotze

Melissa Reddy:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...ane-after-cooling-gotze-interest?ICID=HP_BN_1

Andy Hunter:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/26/liverpool-focus-southampton-sadio-mane

Bascombe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...adio-mane-bid-as-doubts-grow-over-mario-gotz/

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Gonna grab some popcorn and watch this place go into meltdown. Guessing we'll see a lot of claims this is committee and not Klopp's doing and some people changing their tune about not being fussed when it came to missing out on Gotze if this is our fall back option.

My personal opinion is he's not worth that and I've no real desire to see him here. Pushed for a move last summer and went missing for long periods this season. Better options out there.

Slightly suspicious that Joyce at the Express and Hunter at the Guardian released very very similar stories both at exactly 10-30, almost as if both hah received the exact same briefing from someone. Plenty of mention of Gotze, Mane as the alternative and Dahoud still a top priority. I wonder.....

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Bit surprised about this, although i think we had the chance to sign him before he moved to Southampton but turned it down. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Not a like for like with Goetze though.

4. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Huh. He's pretty good, isn't he? I know United made a fairly serious attempt to sign him a summer or two back.

5. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Decent player but will no doubt be overpriced. For 15m I'd take him, for 25m no way and for the 30m he'll probably end up costing it would be a ridiculous transfer. Wonder if it's us trying to put some more pressure on Gotze/Bayern?

redfanman likes this.
  6. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

We're getting a Ferrari! We're getting a Ferrari! We're getting a Ferrari!

*opens garage door*

A @#$# Fiat Ritmo?!?!?!?!?!?!

7. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

I think he's really good, at least what I've seen. Quick and powerful, good 1v1, can make good runs in behind, very decent finisher. Don't know how his normal level is week in week out, but his top level is very high.

8. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

I see I'm the only one ever so slightly excited by this rumour :((

Yes it's another Southampton player but the difference is the manager, that's how I see it.
    Klopp wants him and it's plain to see how he improves players and Mane is already a good player, also his stats for last season were good and if they stay the same or improve 25m ain't a bad deal in my eyes.

Just seen the Twitter thread Ibe may be used in the deal, what would that make it 15m plus Ibe for Mane

9. Druss

Druss TIA Reserve Team

Im now convinced Ian Ayre has shares in Southampton!

10. Kyriakyl

Kyriakyl Member

I hope we swerve this. He isn't even a guaranteed starter at Southampton because of his lack of consistency. Seems like he turns up when he wants.

Doubt he would be a regular here. Much rather give a chance to Markovic or play Origi wide

11. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

He started 36 out of his 43 appearances last year, that's pretty guaranteed.

Much better player than Markovic. 15 goals and 9 assists from wide positions, the kind of return we've been looking for.

Lots and lots of ability and a good athlete. Said numerous times in the premier league thread we should be looking at him. Could be an excellent signing.

12. redfanman

Got a bit of pace, can handle the physical side too. If Studge is starting to lose his pace and doesnt have the physical side to his game, perhaps him and Origi could offer that for him. Cant be the worst signing we would make for £25m.

norwegian wood likes this.
  13. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

If it's 15m and Ibe it's not a bad deal. Far from a good deal though. Sound technical manager with time to invest away from the brightest of spotlights would get a good return from Ibe. We would get a ...sigh...premier proven player with good to excellent stats. Must admit I didn't think he played as often as the numbers show too. Though he hits a lot of buttons for us with his pace , athleticism and eye for goal. I might have foreign star dust in my eyes but still think we could get better value abroad. And I'm loathe to see Ibe sold

14. Shibaprasad Bhattacharya

Shibaprasad Bhattacharya New Member

Not saying this because he is linked with us but always liked Mane. His pace is a treat to watch.

But Goze would have added some strong mentality into the team. Which I highly doubt if Mane could...

15. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Sorry, but can't get excited at all and hope there's little to no truth to this just because Gotze's not running into our open arms. Reminds me of so many transfer situations that we've had in the past. "Shit, we didn't get Costa... lets get Rickie Lambert!" "Oh, we can't get Aguero... lets get Andy Carroll!" "Snubbed again? Oh well, Stewie Downing it is!"

From what I've seen of him, he's a very hot and cold player. Has all the tools, but often just doesn't seem overly arsed. A bit Benteke-ish, you could say. Besides which, the last Senegalese attacker we had still leaves an awful taste in my mouth. (Yes, that's biased, I know)

Mark Thurgood, MikeOscar and rab like this.
  16. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Not a surprise he's being looked at as an alternative to Gotze. Very dynamic and energetic player with huge amounts of pace who has some fantastic numbers for a player who in the main plays behind a striker or on the right side. If you put much weight in stats and all that he's done better than a couple of our fans' darlings this year.

My main issue with signing Gotze is that he's another AM that doesn't have any real speed, and for me we still at times look to be lacking an extra one or two who are quick across the ground. It's only really Origi and Sturridge that I'd consider to be genuinely fast. Coutinho has the acceleration but not the speed over any distance. Mane would obviously help in that regard.

People will get their backs up about the fact it's PL proven and Southampton again, but tbh of all the players they've had since getting back up he's the one I've always fancied would do well here. Think he's a cut above what they've already lost to us and others previously.

Also doesn't surprise me the Mancs are still keen and Spurs likewise. Mourinho loves that dynamic, pacey lad in a wide position with a decent work rate.

17. kingoftown

kingoftown Really good aimer.

I'd sign him just so he stops scoring against us, also known as "the Torres."

garth and ILLOK like this.
  18. redfanman

Reading the actual articles, they appear to be suggesting we are interested and consider him an option but are not actually going for him yet, which would indicate that there are other targets ahead of him...

19. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

Another Southampton player ffs

Why don't we just buy the club out :think:

20. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

Ok guys are you serious? Have you seen how fast he is? Can you not see how well he would gel with the passers on the team? And he works relentlessly

21. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

I seriously hope we don't spend 25 + on Mane, not a bad player but feels like we have been down this road before and it never seems to work for us.

Can't see Southampton letting him leave for less than 30 mil and at that price he would be under enormous pressure from the off and whilst a good player I have this nagging feeling that he would end up a bit part player and we would end up selling him for a significant loss in a couple of season having paid him 100k a week to contribute very little.

Might prove me wrong but this seems like another classic Liverpool transfer, all set to go horribly wrong.

22. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

I'm a fearless believer, but I will confess to being fearful every time he came on

23. leopoldfrank

leopoldfrank TIA Reserve Team

Agree. He has the same kind of work rate that Suarez had. I was hugely impressed with him last year and was expecting him to have a great season but he has been a little inconsistent. There's defintely a very good player in there, however, and I can see how he would fit into a Klopp team. He gives us something we don't currently have too. A big upgrade on our current crop of wingers.

Zinedine Biscan and koptician like this.
  24. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

I like Gotze and of course I believe Gotze is a better player, however I think Mane is the type of player we need in the team. He's got the pace and even more important he's intelligent on the ball. I would welcome anything under £25m.

spartacus136 likes this.
  25. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

there were concerns over gotze's pace, fitness, and how well his abilities meshed with the existing attacking players. don't think any of those apply to mane. squad is fairly begging for a natural wide player with pace and end product

mane had as many goals against liverpool as ibe did for liverpool, which was twice as many as markovic managed in turkey

26. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

Sadio Mane can score goals. He's hit double digits both times in the Premier League, and doing that from wide is pretty good.

The fear of course is that he will wilt after arriving at the big lights and pressure of Liverpool, the way that Benteke wilted.

I'd have to believe we could get a better bargain abroad, maybe Kevin Volland, Felipe Anderson, or some other such option.

If you are going to splash the cash domestically, you might as well make a huge offer for Mahrez. But I don't think he's going anywhere if Leicester can hold onto him they will, and should.

27. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Not sure LFC could buy out more than a few of the Liebherr's yellow machines let alone their football club.

28. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

To be fair to Benteke, he just doesnt fit our style of play. The back of the season his heart simply wasn't in it but I don't think he wilt under the pressure.

A front three of Sturridge/Origi, Firmino and Mane would be mental.

redfanman likes this.
  29. Brock34

Brock34 TIA Squad Member

I actually think he would fit in great, but I'm with you. 20m seems reasonable for his direct play, pace, and goals.

Every story though holds back on saying that we've bid or plan to bid though. This reads to me more like a signal to Bayern and Gotze (and maybe even Bayern fans who want to move on from the Gotze experiment). They need to sort out their game (maybe some sort of payout to Gotze) by Euros or we're moving on.

I'd be happy to get Mane, but these articles seem less about him than a message to our friends in Germany.

30. Robot Phobia

Robot Phobia Active Member

Ian Ayre's Key Performance Indicators:

*Sign at least 1 Southampton player per season. Check

Livvy, RMP and Hope in your heart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.