Sadio Mane (RW) Southampton

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Zoran, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Southampton fans apparently not too happy about Mané's transfer...

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthre...join-Liverpool-for-%A332m/page15#.V3EENleDquE

Good sign this... :tongue:

Edit: although there are some good comments in there, like this one:

redfanman likes this.
  2. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

Well lets hope he fires and becomes a managers pick, otherwise, if he fails miserably, he'll be labelled as a TC pick. As was Lovren when he was shite, but then when he picked up, he became a managers buy. No wonder the poor bastard struggled, he had no idea who bought him.
    Lets hope he breaks the usual mold of 30 million plus signings for LFC, lord knows we need one to take the world by storm.
    If its true he is signing, then I wish the lad all the luck in the world, and may you spend the rest of your playing career at LFC.

3. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

We have overpaid by 10-15 mil. Still, if Klopp wants him, then I am glad the club has backed him.

People are reacting as if he is the final piece of the jigsaw (or a big and important piece). I don't think so. He is no better than what we already have. However, I would be utterly glad to be proven wrong.

4. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

I like a man who speaks his brains. lol

5. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

I don't think we have overpaid in the current market (but it's still a hefty slug of money of course). If he is no better than that which we already have then that's a good thing. If he is as good at his specific role (for which we have no one at the moment) as e.g. Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho and Origi are at theirs then he will be a success!

6. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

7. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Not if you decide to buy in the PL market place 34m is ok if Troy Deeney is worth 25m

However its horrendous compared to the value you can get outside of the PL, just look at the price Dortmund have sold 3 world class players for. Also Look at the fees Dortmund have paid for Demble and Mor Also the reported fee for Embolo who is very similar to Mane

So if you want to shop in the PL then it good value but if you want VFM then shop in Europe

The 3 Dortmund players sold could probably all be resold for a profit tomorrow wheras Mane couldnt

He Drinks Sangria likes this.
  8. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

So what you think his value is 15 million?

I'm sorry but the tea lady goes for 15 million these days, unless you get lucky and a player is in the last year of his contract then you simply will not get a player of Mane pedigree for less than what we are paying. When the fee was first mooted I honestly thought the same but the reality of the market isn't what it use to be and in the current market 30 mil is what we expect to pay now.

I would also disagree that he is no better than what we have, who did we have who scored 15 goals from a wide position last season, neither of Coutinho or Firmino did. Sturridge probably would have had he played a whole season but he is a central striker so not a direct comparison. The closest player we have to Mane in a direct comparison is Ibe and he barely played for us after losing form massively. As a straight swap for Lallana on the RW he is an upgrade in almost every manner.

The only drawback I can see is his commitment to the ACON with Senegal

9. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Why would you compare to players Dortmund have bought it is a completely different market, they don't have anything like the resources that EPL clubs have so of course they will look for more value on the continent and being able to offer CL football goes a long way, again something we can't offer.

And I know you rate Embolo but he is miles away from Mane. Embolo is a child learning his craft and your suggesting he is on par with Mane who is 5 years older and has performed in a strong league as compared to Embolo who produced less in a very weak league. Embolo would be a project player with no expectation of performance in his first season. Infect if we had bought him we probably would have left him at Basel to ensure he actually played much like Origi's signing.

redfanman likes this.
  10. Kanonkop

Disagree.

Dembele, 18 year old prospect who is unproven at the highest level signed from Rennes, €15m
    Mane, 24 years old and proven in a top league €36m
    Embolo, not at Mane's leel yet, not even for sale - I wonder what you would have to pay to get him!

Mane is not expensive in comparison to Dembele at all. I don't even think he is expensive compared to other similar players, whether they be PL transfers or not.

Please find me a player with similar stats to Mane, in a similar role (i.e. AM), similar age and proven in a top league available for much less.

You can of course pick up the odd bargain here or there (as we did with Matip) but you cannot always do so. The cost of a bargain signing does therefore not make Mane an expensive signing by comparison.

redfanman likes this.
  11. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

under Mourinho with limited freedom, he's going to struggle big time

12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Minor note, Embolo just moved to Schalke. £20m.

redfanman, Kanonkop and noremac like this.
  13. Kanonkop

See - he isn't for sale then is he!!!!;-)

But thanks for correcting me - I had forgotten that (probably too busy debating Brexit to track every single transfer!!!). But that reinforces the view that Mane isn't too expensive in comparison.

redfanman likes this.
  14. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

I'm happy with this, mostly because of the type of player he seems to be. I think his pace will complement our attack.

We have a lot of players who like to play in front of the defence ('between the lines') rather than go in behind. Players who instinctively will seek the ball rather than looking to provide movement for the guy with the ball. Sturridge also seems to have become more like this sort of player after his injury, and when we have him, Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho on the pitch together it can become a little bit one paced. Not because any of them are bad players - far from it, obviously - but because of the combination of players.

Having too many of either type of player leaves you with an unbalanced attack; and a player like Mané, who likes to run in behind the defence and has the pace to worry defenders as well as the ability to score goals, should balance things out a bit more for us.

15. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Let's look at comparable players - Willian cost 32 million 3 years ago and this is about the same as it would have cost to push the Alex Teixeria deal through last winter. Mane will likely score than Willian this coming season and while I liked Teixeria this is far less risky. Di Maria, after failing and leaving with his tail between legs cost 25% more and has never scored at the rate Mane does.

A month or so ago when this first came out, many people on here seemed to be focusing on the 20 million mark, seemingly still stuck in the mid 00s. I said then that if there was truth to the story that we were interested it would be between 30-40 million to make it happen. This value really is in the right ball park for a player of this position, age, situation with this goal scoring record.

inaiq, redfanman, Kanonkop and 2 others like this.
  16. Zinedine Biscan

Yeah, agree.

Part of the reason 'last year of their contract' is quickly becoming a trope for inter-PL transfers is that the state of the market means that the going rate for players still under a couple of years' contract (as Mane was) are so high. You can pretty much guarantee that any transfers this summer (and beyond) between PL clubs for players whose deal is not expiring will be on a similar scale to this.

I mean, Troy Deeney for £25m (which was turned down incidentally, if he does move it will likely be for significantly more), or Mane for circa £30m? In my mind there's no contest at all.

redfanman and Vic_Vinegar like this.
  17. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

He's also really strong in the air and so that late run to the back post that he makes so often is another weapon we dont currently havee anywhere across our front line.

redfanman and norwegian wood like this.
  18. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

I'm slightly confused by the negativety about Mane. He is a significant improvement over our other options for the RW position, scores plenty of goals and gets assists. His style is one that a player like Jordon Ibe can learn from on a day to day basis also as Mane has a similar combination of strength, pace and size.

£30m is only slightly above average thesedays - I can't really see many negatives.

Also think it is smart that he would be the big money signing and not bringing in a host of new players. Klopp showed us at the back end of last season what potential the squad has, I don't see the logic in trying to dismantle it rather than keep the squad a close nit bunch.

19. Vic_Vinegar

Vic_Vinegar It’s a sort of shrine, it isn’t a football ground

We can't attract the same players Dortmund can. Whether we have more money or not - they have Champions League football, we don't.

Whether we like it or not, at the moment it's very likely that incoming players view our club as a step onto a bigger club. It's possible that the young players going into Dortmund are of a similar mindset... the difference is that those players can advertise their abilities on a bigger stage at Dortmund - therefore they can attract the higher rated youngsters.

redfanman and boston red like this.
  20. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Mkhi is injuries proven, PL could be hard for him.
    Mkhi is a player similar to Kagawa: technical giftet.
    But Kagawa struggled in Manchester, no chance in that hard league.
    Mane is proven in PL, he is fit.

redfanman and Foldy like this.
  21. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

Nope, I am going by the 34 mil quoted in media, which makes him 20-25 mil player for me, which is his right value. But I understand the inflated PL market and accept that.

But like I said, I would be glad to be proven wrong if he is success.

22. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

There's no doubt we need a player like Mane who can get behind the defences, attack defences unpredictably, cause a little havoc and score 1 in 3. At 30M, it's not too bad a deal. But I just can't arrive at paying Southampton another cent for anyone. They've milked us enough. Apart from Clyne, our previous 65M expenditure has not returned half that in value. Lovren has had a decent half a season out of two and Lallana about the same (but I'm not as confident of that as others). The latter can't score goals, he's not a central midfielder, he's supposed to score goals. We need a wide forward, yes. Another CM in the Klopp mould, whoever that is, and a left back. If we can sell Lallana, ALlen, Benteke, Balotelli, Moreno,Skrtel and a few others, sure thing, Mane is affordable and more suitable. We can't just keep players cause the seem OK. WIthout Europe, we need to make a serious go at top 4 next season. So we need the first 11s, not as many bench warmers. that's my thoughts on Lallana & Mane - it's one for the other. So he should be replaced by what we need in Mane, or someone like Mane. We also have Firmino, Coutinho and Milner (if he stays) to play some of the AM roles.

23. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Last summer most people were delighted to spend £30m off on Firmino but this summer Mane is way over priced? Very similar goals and assists stats in their last couple of season at their previous clubs, similar age, both attacking players who are notoriously over priced anyway and yet the reaction is so different.

Would those who think he's way over priced feel the same had he put those same numbers up at Hoffenheim in the last couple years instead of at Southampton I wonder.

24. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Sadio Mane has been spotted outside a hospital in Liverpool.

25. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

Yeah he's visiting John Henry's cheque book which is in intensive care after being beaten to shit again.

redfanman and Alex like this.
  26. AYBGerrardo

AYBGerrardo Well-Known Member

Wow, the £34m+ being reported now on the BBC has clearly come from Southampton - whereas I guess Joyce would've got the figure of £30m from his LFC source - but no reason to doubt its veracity. With those £2m in add-ons, he could easily become our record transfer.

Jesus, I hope this pays off.

27. Zinedine Biscan

Interesting. Apparently Salzburg had a 20% sell-on clause, which is why Saints insisted on the fee. The Austrian club get around £6m of this transfer.

28. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

Jamie Carragher ‏@Carra23 3m3 minutes agoLiked Mane at Southampton but I do think 30 mil is expensive but if he delivers it'll be worth it like every transfer. It's 30 not 38.5 mil!

Carragher saying it is £30m not more!

redfanman likes this.
  29. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

£30m = €36m

More than likely where the differences are coming from

30. AYBGerrardo

AYBGerrardo Well-Known Member

The £38.5m figure he's referring to is from the Telegraph

"Liverpool have made an up-front payment of £34.5 million to Southampton, just £500,000 short of the fee paid to Newcastle United in January 2011 for the striker Andy Carroll, still the club’s record signing.

That figure will rise to between £36 million and £38.5 million depending on Mane’s appearances and Liverpool’s success this season in qualifying for the Champions League and how far they get in the competition the following season, 2017-2018."

God I hope it's "only" £30m.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.