Sadio Mane (RW) Southampton

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Zoran, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

i never watched Texeira tbh, so i will say Mane is better :p

2. Vidocq

one thing i want to add, his "mentality"... last season he played great against Chelsea, City, Arsenal and against Us... it means he have winning mentality, and he doesn't shit himself in big games

Steve_LFC likes this.
  3. mr mustard

mr mustard TIA Reserve Team

I have no idea, but the fact that Texeira was willing to move to China at this stage of his carreer is probably a decent indication of the reasons why Klopp said no.

4. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

I think Alex T burnt too many bridges in his attempt to come to LFC and when it fell through. He had to leave and the Chinese team was the only one willing to pay at that time.

5. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

But then there is the other side of the coin where you could say he couldn't be arsed against the so called lesser sides. Consistency is what makes a good player a great player

Flobs likes this.
  6. JustHitMyHead

JustHitMyHead TIA Reserve Team

Hmm... well I have no clue how the scouting and decision making over transfers work at the club.

However, for a transfer of this size, I would think the best approach would be to have the manager involved in the process of going over some of the synthesized videos and scouting reports of the player. And in the course of going over the videos and reports (again, thinking out loud), a good manager might generally notice some of the strengths, weaknesses and idiosyncrasies of a player.

And the manager might think... with this or that tweak, he might be a much better or more consistent player. And this could form some of the reason why a team might buy a player like Mane, over some more popular targets.

I could be totally wrong, but I think Klopp has some plan for getting the best out of him (whether it works or not).

7. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

The forum @liver1 linked to earlier in this thread when we were discussing his stats and actual level of performances had some posts from fans suggesting that his inconsistency and relatively poor output between December and February had been down to a change in the way Koeman was using him (and the team overall, which I think coincided with several of the attacking players struggling, not just him), this along with some of the things that he was trying not coming off, doesn't suggest he wasn't trying to play or that he went hiding which I think makes a significant difference when arguing about consistency.

Anyways, he'll be off to the ANC for those months, so we will only have him when he is on form and playing the good teams ;-)

legalalien, darkvoid and Steve_LFC like this.
  8. Degger

Degger New Member

if mane does what he's done over the last two seasons he will be a great addition .

9. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Salzburg needs their 7m in euros, that's probably the reason why.

10. Degger

Degger New Member

why??? 15 goals 9 assists that's a awesome return I mean all land great player technical fantastic uses both feet superbly just can't SCORE and to be honest we have to many players who are in the same bracket not just llama. even coutiniho seems to go missing in the big games I think this is a great bit of business

11. Dortmund fan

12. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

I think Mane will be awesome for us when we go a goal up and with his pace and power on the counter attack he will help us bury games

My concern is however like any player who plays for a lesser team like Southamption that he wont get the same space and pace to play in he had at Southamption as teams will be much more defensive against us.

Thats the big question whether he can be effective when he has no space which will be in every game when were not winning,

Goetze on the other hand can make chances in closed spaces especially important when games are tight

However I am happier with Mane than Goetze just have concerns about how effective he will be in tight games

13. Dortmund fan

Sadio Mane is not an exciting marquee signing - Klopp can change that

There is no reason why the apathy that has met Mane signing can't become something more

Jurgen Klopp has been insistent from the beginning. In his first campaign – a furious one which had injuries, adaptation, an unprecedented fixture pile-up – the German found one consistency.

His management is about training, not transfers.

That was his message when he arrived in October. It was similar a month later, in the aftermath of his first defeat as Liverpool manager.

“I’m not the guy who buys 10 players today and sells 10 players tomorrow, because we want to work together,” he said.

“I believe in training, sometimes I feel like I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, only others believe in transfers.

“I love this game because training can make the difference.”

That idea has been prevalent throughout his first year on Merseyside. He said it when he missed out on Alex Teixeira because of Shakhtar’s astronomical demands - “We have money, but we are not in Disneyland” - and was intimating similar in the build-up to the Europa League final.

It’s training, not transfers, which Klopp cares about most.

But that isn’t sexy enough. Rolling news channels of torturous yellow hue do not concern themselves with kilometres run around training cones; social media does not become ablaze because of preparations on a Friday afternoon at Melwood.

Modern football is obsessed with transfers. They are followed as fiercely as what happens on the pitch, eliciting the same emotions. A successful signing is cause for celebration; missing out on a target prompts despair.

What a contrast then, that a manager so charismatic, should focus on something so regarded as banal.

He would no doubt be confused with the reaction to Sadio Mane’s £30m move to Anfield, which is expected to be completed today.

The criticisms over the deal are clear, and most are fair. There is concern over the fee, questions over his consistency and grumbling over a transfer which once more involves Southampton.

There has been another cause for complaint, however. Mane is not the marquee signing.

It’s a questionable term in footballing lexicon full of them. The ‘managerial merry-go-round’ does not see Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola straddling plastic pink horses eating cotton candy, nor is the ‘road to Wembley’ a long strip of tarmac which cars career up until finally parking up at the FA Cup final in May.

Likewise, no player has ever been unveiled under a marquee. The utterance of the term, however, is revealing. He is the main man, the big hitter, a player to sell thousands of shirts with a mere wave to the crowd.

That isn’t Mane. It could have been Mario Gotze, but he has become so accustomed to the bench at the Allianz Arena, he wants to stay there. Despite that, the German’s arrival would have no doubt been lauded more than Mane’s.

Yet look at their respective efforts over the last 24 months. Mane has scored the fastest Premier League hat trick, notching three goals in under three minutes; he has scored against Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton; he bagged a stunning treble against Manchester City, and put four past Liverpool this season. His level of performance has seen him attract interest from Manchester United, Tottenham and Bayern Munich.

In that time, Gotze has started just 39 league games and has struggled to maintain the standard that saw him as Germany’s World Cup winner. He has won titles, but has been a peripheral figure, a loss of form and fitness telling.

That is not to suggest Mane is a better player than Gotze. Indeed, a comparison feels pointless, the difference in their styles raising the question how the Senegalese was considered the alternative.

The apathy is tangible; Mane as the star buy is an underwhelming prospect. That is despite the forward producing some truly outstanding moments in the Premier League.

Perhaps that – the Premier League – is the key to this. Mane has been a weekly fixture on television screens for the past two years. The joy of the unknown is very much absent.

That intense feeling towards transfers is akin to a child at Christmas. That wander down the stairs to see what Santa has left is no different to the turn of the newspaper page to see who will be wearing red from August onwards. Receiving a toy you have already played with is not much fun at all.

That’s understandable. There is no real allure to Mane’s arrival and, after two years at Southampton, the mystique is non-existent.

Remember Klopp’s vow, though. Training, not transfers.

Fans have seen what he is capable of at the Saints, but not Liverpool.

When the Reds appointed Klopp, he came with a reputation of improving players. In his first campaign, he did that with a number of the current squad – including attack-minded players such as Roberto Firmino, Divock Origi and Adam Lallana.

His currency is in creating stars, not collecting them from elsewhere.

Mane is still considered a raw talent. At 24, there is plenty of scope for improvement. No player has had as many unsuccessful touches as him over the past two seasons, and he attempted an average of 33 passes per game in 2015-16.

Statistics that need to improve, and could do under Klopp. Mane’s previous two managers – Roger Schmidt and Ronald Koeman – both liked to play a pressing game, something that will be valuable under another keen proponent of that style.

There is not much excitement surrounding Mane, but there could be once Klopp gets him on the training pitch.

Liverpool have rarely been a club to pursue the biggest names available, and without Champions League football, that will continue.

The Reds boss won’t mind that, either. It is training, not transfers, which excite him.

Perhaps it should excite the fans, too. It did in October.

For now, fans must simply tear down their marquee infatuation, for Klopp at Melwood is the biggest show in town.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ws/liverpool-transfer-sadio-mane-not-11533808

[​IMG]

steveee, jabu, Kanonkop and 2 others like this.
  14. Vidocq

if he have a winning mentality, then surely he will do the best no matter the opponent

15. Degger

Degger New Member

Klopp demands efort there for the signings he makes might not be the glamorous ones people tend to expect but they will be what klopp desires hard working intelligent footballers who are willing to learn. He did well last year but the players were not up to speed this year with them having a klopp pre season they will be better equipped from the off

16. Dortmund fan

People who say Mane isn't good enough because he struggled a little bit in the first part of the season forget that for example Origi stuggled in the first part of the season as well. Is Origi not good enough? Both players were strong after the winter and Mane even didn't work with Klopp, he can develop more and more. I don't see any issues at the moment. I mean the sportly things. The financial thing (too high transfer fee) is another topic.

17. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Probably the only way to get foreign currency in the British economy now. :tongue:

18. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Jury is still out on Origi tbh but he also didn't cost £35m so there isn't much of a comparison

19. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Plenty of good attackers go through a dry spell every now and then. Hazard went through a massive one last season. Even Suarez went through a period in which he scored 2 in 17 games for us.

Mane's overall totals are good. 1 in 3 for Southampton. No guarantee that he will bring that over but if he does his fee will probably be justified.

redfanman likes this.
  20. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Not actually disagreeing with anybody about us buying him even if I'm unsure about him. My feeling is paying £35m for a player then it should have me feeling just a little bit excited and I'm sorry mane just doesn't do that for me. As it is now I do have trust in Klopp's judgement so you won't overly see me moan to much about the fee like I constantly did about Rodgers's transfers.
    As long as he's not completely shite in the first few months then I'll be at least hopeful but I do feel if you spend thay kinda money then you have to expectations are higher and you generally expect/need him to hit the ground running

21. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

redfanman and Clive like this.
  22. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

Underwhelming signing, overwhelming cost, new manager, same old shite. We go again.

23. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

24. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

redfanman and Clive like this.
  25. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

Had it been Brendan I would have still been doubtful, but since it's Jürgen I can only assume there's some form of actual reasoning behind this.

redfanman likes this.
  26. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yea I'm ready to come on board. It's a huge amount of money but it's not my money is it? 100 m squid to Soton in two years, I hope they have heated seats on the away bench for our visit this season...

Anyway at least Mane will bring physicality and athleticism and goals as you say. Hopefully he can be more consistent and less streaky....

ptt likes this.
  27. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

In before the lock!!!!! :celebrating:

Glad he's joining....regardless of the fee, he is an exciting player.

I had posted my mates thoughts in the welcome thread before it was locked. He's a saints season ticket holder - he makes some interesting points about mane.

28. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.