Scottish football

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Arminius, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Probably not enough interest in this story about Hearts facing a winding-up order to merit a topic, so I will start a Scottish footy thread.

Romanov is a clown. This problem is not an overnight development, the winding-up order is part of the natural progression. He should have divested his interest in the club a long time ago if he could not cover the cost of fighting a tax bill.

2. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Interesting article:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/2763?cc=5901

3. Arminius

I can't see UEFA allowing this lightly, the women's game precedent actually works against Rangers as much as it works for them.

4. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Can't find our old Loan Watch thread in the Albert, but just to mention that both Wilson and Ngoo are in the starting lineup for Hearts in the away game at Inverness.

5. LiVeRp0oL89

LiVeRp0oL89 Well-Known Member

N'goo has just scored on his debut (I think its his debut), good lad!

6. Congratulations to Celtic.

Scottish League Champions after a 4-0 win today.

7. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

Congrats? Really showme?

8. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Guest

Scottish Football League: Ten clubs consider breakaway

Ten clubs are ready to quit the Scottish Football League in time for next season, BBC Scotland has learned.

A letter signed by the 10 clubs is to be sent to the Scottish Premier League ahead of their meeting next week.

The move comes against the backdrop of protracted talks on root-and-branch reform of the Scottish game.

The 10 clubs are understood to have taken independent legal advice about quitting the SFL without the required two years' notice.

The letter will stress that their preference for league restructuring is through dialogue with all 42 senior clubs but if that cannot be achieved the SPL should consider a second tier.

Rangers are not among the clubs involved in the possible breakaway.

For any breakaway to succeed, SPL clubs would need to approve the plan with an 11-1 majority required.

Plans for a new three-tier set-up with two leagues of 12 and a division of 18 above a pyramid structure and a new governing body did not get past a vote from the top flight clubs, with St Mirren and Ross County opposed to the model.

SPL clubs gathered again on Monday to explore the possibility of adopting some elements of the blueprint but, again, no consensus was reached.

The top flight teams are to meet next week to discuss the possible introduction of play-offs for next season but they will now have this letter to mull over.

County and St Mirren have previously voiced opposition to any SPL2, saying that a compromise had to be reached involving all of Scotland's professional clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22404102

9. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

I almost feel sorry for Celtic supporters. It must be so frustrating knowing you have nothing to beat. Bet they can't wait for Rangers to get back.

Apart from their Champions League games it must have been a pretty boring season.

10. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cggTbCcbcNA

11. WellRedKev

WellRedKev TIA Reserve Team

Whats wrong with that? hardly idiotic. Its popular culture.

12. WellRedKev

WellRedKev TIA Reserve Team

Someone has to have the balls to start a rebellion! There is a link of course with irish republicans, mainly due to rebelling against oppression. Death is a by product of war so yes he has blood on his hands. Hardly idiotic, just shows politics and sport are closely linked, soemtimes a bit closer than it should be.

brightonpete likes this.
  13. Arminius

Hearts situation is looking really nasty, despite the usual false optimism from the administrator. No one is going to put a penny into that club until the two upstream bankruptices are sorted out, and you can be reasonably sure that large multimillion dollar insolvencies in Lithuania will not be overly concerned by the Scottosh football schedule. This one is going to play out like the Portsmouth fiasco, Rangers will be playing Hearts sooner than anyone thinks.

14. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I'm gutted for Hearts. They are the only club that at least remotely threatened to break duopoly of Celtic and Rangers in last ten years or so, if I'm not mistaken, and the atmosphere there used to be great.

I guess that Scottish football needs a revamp similar to English football, i.e. better coaching of young talents because no one can convince me that a country that boasted Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen and Steven Fletcher all of a sudden can't play football anymore.

15. StGpaidi

StGpaidi TIA Reserve Team

You just can't hide it, can you? :lol:

I think that the influx of foreign (mostly latin) players with lots of technical ability has forced EPL clubs to change their approach when it comes to youth development. Scottish talent does exist but I believe a similar transformation will be a really slow process, as young technicians (Brendism alert) may find it harder to adapt to a league with SPL's characteristics.

Nikola likes this.
  16. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I just couldn't resist mentioning Fletcher. :-) I honestly hope that SFA can rebuild their football from the bottom. Looking at players like James McCarthy (even though he chose Ireland), two Fletchers, Bannan, even Ryan Gauld, there is talent, there is hard work, too.

17. Arminius

Anyone have any clue what is actually going on at Rangers? Lots of board level chaos, funds seem rather lower than they should be, open in-fighting, but none of the stories I have seen really explain the dynamics.

18. Arminius

19. CJ_LFC

CJ_LFC I am boss!

20. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

No worse than Celtic.

21. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

A number of posts have been removed as the thread turned into a bitch fight about religion.

Now, I'll go toe to toe with any fucker about religion - it's my pet subject, but this thread is about Scottish Football so keep it on topic.

22. Joe90

Joe90 A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours

Lennon has left celtic? Maybe gonna try the epl?

23. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Di Canio's agent trying to get him the Celtic job. After the disaster at Sunderland, can't see him getting a job with anyone, never mind the champs of Scotland. Maybe a 2nd division club looking for some publicity.

Would be interested in seeing how Lennon does in EPL if he gets his chance. Maybe at Southampton?

24. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

25. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

SPFL Relegation / Playoff final

Rangers 1 Motherwell 3
    Motherwell 3 Rangers 0

Motherwell stay in the top flight 6-1 on aggregate, Rangers join Hibernian in staying in the second tier for another season

The sad part came at the end when Mohsni of Rangers refused to shake hands with a Motherwell player and the Motherwell player gave a hefty shove in the back of Mohsni who reacted by a kick and punch at the Motherwell player.

I don't condone that reaction but the shove in the back was uncalled for

26. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

The kick was last seen in Street Fighter and that punch left the guy bleeding from the mouth.

His reaction to a pathetic shove was shocking.

27. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Rangers are and have always been sore

28. Arminius

Probably 15 years too late, I think you are right that it would end up being a Celtic crowd and probably not much else.

29. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Desperation...

The whole system is shocking I know 4 Scots and not one of them even has a passing interest in the SPL.

30. alax

alax New Member

Big surprise!...