Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Big name players? Are they all out of our reach? Do we need to target such players? We don't seem to be at the races for the big players these days. Lack of finance hinders us, however, should we qualify for the Champions League we instantly become a far greater attraction for the top players.

So, do we need to push the boat out, spend big money and bring in an established big name player? Someone like a Greizmann or a Lacazette. Will this help us to attract more such players or do we keep bringing in young players and low profile guys we know little about?

So, what does everyone reckon? Do we need a 'statement signing'?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    FGred likes this.
  2. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is a big name,twenty three letters,ridiculous.:-)

lfc.eddie, Nevoo34, basil1492 and 9 others like this.
  3. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

No.

Reason for that is because we have too many areas to fill / strengthen (CB, LB, CM, depth) where we simply can't afford to spend star-money on 1 player that leaves us unable to fill the other areas of need with quality players. We simply don't have bottomless pockets like City, United, Chelsea, Barca, Bayern or Real.

However, once we fill those needs with quality players, continue to progress and the number of areas of need become lower, then we can focus on getting that "final piece to the puzzle". This may be summer window of 2018, perhaps.

And IMO i don't consider Lacazette a statement signing and in the same level as Griezmann. Getting him would be a nice addition, but not a statement. Knocking on Dortmund's door and paying them for Auba WOULD be a statement, but as i said, we're not there yet.

Zinedine Biscan and redfanman like this.
  4. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

@NYRhockey OK, so Torres, Gerrard, Mascerano, and most of all, Suarez, were a bad thing for us, because we could not afford a proper LB on top of them?

Without leaders and world-class players we won't become a PL and CL winning team.

And it's not only because of what they do while they are here. It's who ends up leaving the club because we are not making such statement.

5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

None of those were statement signings such as is being posited in the OP. Torres because he was a young lad still plying his trade at a non-elite club who lots of people still thought was a massive risk and potential waste of money, Gerrard because he wasn't a transfer, Masch was languishing on West Ham's bench as cover for Hayden Mullins and Suarez was playing in a second-tier league in which players like Afonso Alves and Mateja Kezman had excelled.

The OP is suggesting we push the considerable boat out to sign players of the stature of Pogba, Bale when he went to Madrid, or Aubameyang, supposed ready-made world-class talents. And it won't happen, nor should it when as posters have pointed out above we have a lot of positions to fill or strengthen this summer and can't afford to blow our wad on a single player who could well turn out to be a Pogba like waste of resources.

6. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

When we have a thread about making big name signings this summer and you bring up Gerrard who came through the academy i know i need go no further and not get involved. It's useless.

7. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

Your answer to the OP question was "No". And "no" because "we have too many areas to fill".

So you are against signing top, costly players because they are costly. Hence why you are a good financial steward.

8. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

If the mantra is purchase youth n talent I propose we bring in experience too doesn't have to be a starter maybe upgrade on Lucas someone like Yaya Toure !
    Maybe:celebrating:

9. SirBillShankly

@ ZB I wasn't thinking of a £90m Pogbaesque signing, that's just being ridiculous, I was thinking more along the lines of a £40-50M signing, I suppose that rules out Greizmann doesn't it? A player costing than much is still a big statement but not a ridiculously overpriced signing.

10. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

I agree with this. We should look to blossoming stars at top leagues (Brandt), high potential graduates from our academy (Woodburn), under utilised talents at other clubs (Oxlaide-Chamberlain?) and top talents at the top clubs in other European leagues (Keita maybe?). If they're the kind of top players you are wanting then I think that's kind of what we are trying to achieve.

11. Zinedine Biscan

Thing is, the financial goalposts have already shifted somewhat. I agree with the person who said that a Lacazette who's done well only in France and gets overlooked by his national team can't be classed as a statement signing... yet at the same time he could easily end up costing £40m. Someone like Lukaku who, while good, I would suggest isn't yet in that world-class tier, is being talked about as a £60m+ signing for Chelsea.

£40m to £50m these days will get you a top established player, but not a top, top or world-class player, unless they're coming to the end of their contract or something.

That's why our approach is to try and identify those potential worldies early before they reach that level, so they can become world-class playing for us.

12. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

It's about getting the right player, not the cost of the player.
    Couldn't be less arsed about making a big statement to anyone.

RMP, rupzzz, lfc.eddie and 15 others like this.
  13. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

A lot will depend on whether we have a CL spot or not, both in terms of players interested, and positions to fill. All things being equal, I would say no. My sense is that we would be better off filling in what I see as 3-4 holes in the squad first with genuine talent, rather than overcommitting to the success of a single marquee player. Those 3-4 players complete a platform for that kind of acquisition in the next loop. That could conceivably be done in a single summer, but I think for reasons of financial constraints, team dynamics coming together, and general adroitness in the market, the 'statement signing' is over a year away.

14. SirBillShankly

I remember when Beardsley was a statement signing at £1.9m, broke the British transfer record.The money in the game now is ridiculous.

How much would you consider you have to spend on a player for him to be classed as a statement of intent then?

15. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

I don't know exactly what 'big statement' means . Firmino, Benteke, Mane, Lallana are all players who have cost over 25 mil. And while 3 of them are proving to be worth it, I don't think they were ever considered as big names or statements.
    If I remember correctly, we brought in Suarez for 22.5m but the 'Big Statement' was buying Andy Carroll for 35m.
    If by 'big statement' you refer to buying established world class players, at their prime for full market value ( no end of contract discounts, free agents ), than I don't think we did it since getting Mascherano and Torres. I am not sure it is even worth it.
    The premiere league is a very hard place for even established world class players to make their mark: Pogba, Veron, Shevchenko. Alberto Moreno came as a 2 time Europa League winner from Seville, and suddenly we figured out he can't defend even to keep his place from an aging CM. 3 years ago all the media was about who made a better deal, Liverpool with Firmino or ManU with Depay, Depay being the well known name, and we know how that ended.

That being said, I think tapping into other PL teams ( not just Southampton ) and buying their proven players, which means paying more, is worth it.

16. Zinedine Biscan

I don't think it's solely about price, but the player in question as well... it would need to be someone in the top tier. If by some miracle Sanchez forces his way out of Arsenal and we convince them to sell to us, and we got him for £40m-odd seeing as he's in the final 12 months of his contract... I would consider that a big statement.

But like others in this thread, I'd rather we focus on the right player to push us on, rather than just the biggest-profile player.

Chewbazza and SirBillShankly like this.
  17. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Yeah, i always scratched my head with that one because i thought Barnes was a far better player and cost us almost half of that for Beardsley!

Scott Jones likes this.
  18. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I can't be the only one who had to read that twice?

19. shachart

The price you pay for a player derives not just by his quality but also by his contract status. Examples: Playes on entering or on their last year of the contract ( Owen went to Real for peanuts because he was on his last year ), release clause in the agreement ( Suarez and Arsenal ), and probably the biggest example Zlatan, you don't get a bigger name than that, and he went to Utd on a free.
    I am reading numbers that Sturridge can be sold for 25mil, and he is one of the best around, Gotze for less than 20. Big names. About half than John Stones.

Price is not the only parameter to determine if a player is World Class.

eng.amohd likes this.
  20. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

For a club like us it is very difficult to attract top players. Klop mentioned the reason, there are other top clubs with more money. He said also his job is not to buy players like Messi, who is out of reach, his job is to build the next Messi.
    On the other hand there is no guarantee that expensive players justify their prices. Look at Pogba for example.
    As far as I understand we have to buy players for our weak positions who are an upgrade of these who we have already. Furthermore we have to take care that we don't blockade the developement of our young guns. I think there are some who can be top stars in a few years.

My first target in the next transfer window would be a centre back. I would splash the cash for van Dijk.

Scott Jones and Livvy like this.
  21. shachart

If you are implying that I have put Moreno with those players, I do not. But I see what you mean.
    Next time I will start a new line. I know how you Mods take your jobs seriously .:-)

Mascot88 likes this.
  22. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

They are all statements of intent.

If we went out and signed someone for 800k, that's very much a statement of intent....

But I know what you meant, so in the spirit of things, I'd say no....obviously if the right player was framed around those prices, then sure, why not?....but I'm looking at our squad and thinking the type of players we desperately need...who would be in the bracket of coming here....are not 'traditionally' the ones that cost a lot of coin...apart from the striker.....and I'm fucked if I know who we should go for in that department

In my head we need a centre half, a full back and another central midfielder before we start topping up up top.

Throw into the mix the Klopp seems hell bent on getting another creative presser (Brandt, Pulisic, Promes-too many links for me to think we aren't looking) and I even speculate whether we are in the hunt for an actual 20 plus goal striker.

That said...if there's even a sniff of getting PEA we should go in, balls and all

SirBillShankly likes this.
  23. Mascot88

It reminds me of an advert for (I think it was for a computer game) in which they had got some big name footballers to endorse it, and it put their name up in lights with massive fanfare.

<BOOM>

RONALDO

<BOOM>

FIGO

<BOOM>

MESSI

<BOOM>

WILSHIRE

Erm... Jack Wilshire? Right...

24. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

Yes. World class players also means much better sponsorship deals and much better sponsorship deals means that we can sign more top class players.

If we don't sign world class players then we won't get that much better sponsorship deals. Signing a world class player for say £80m would almost be risk free because the much better sponsorship deals cover most of the transfer fee and wages.

25. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

er...no, it doesnt work like that.

26. Elessar

Money isn't the problem to get the world class players signing for us. FSG of course know that it is almost risk free to sign a world class player. The location of the club is a much bigger problem. Not many world class player want to live in Liverpool when they have the option to live in Paris, Milano, Madrid, Munich, London or Barcelona.

27. Mascot88

Depends who we move on though.

Agree on CB and Left Back. I think we need to add two wide players to supplement the front two. To me that's an urgent need, since we only really have four players there for six positions. I'm not including Sturridge obviously.

In midfield I think we just buy the best midfielder we can get hold of. If that's a DM, Hendo can spend some of his time in the AM positions. If it's an AM, we still have Hendo and Can deeper.

I think we need a statement summer, regardless of individual players. I'm really expecting double the normal budget to be available to Klopp, and decent sales for some of the surplus lads.

28. Zinedine Biscan

I literally acknowledge exactly this in the post you quote. Most clubs, though, are very savvy when it comes to making sure their world-class players aren't entering the final year of their contract, unless they're old (like Ibra). And when it comes to release clauses they're either not worth the paper they're written on (like Suarez's £40m one, or most of those in Spain), or set to ludicrously high, like the £90m clause Everton want to insert into Lukaku's new contract, that they're in any case over and above what you'd want to shell out for that player anyway.

Gotze's a big name, but also seems to be plagued with injury and has been horrendously out of form for about three years. Rather than being an example of the sort of strong statement we could make, I would argue the opposite - that he's a loud warning of the sort of player the pursuit of reputation over ability could see you end up with.

redfanman likes this.
  29. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

Exactly.
    Pogba is fucking useless for an £89 million player

redalways, eng.amohd, SBYM and 3 others like this.
  30. Elessar

er....yes, it do. How do you believe Man U paid for Pogba?