Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I think you are over simplifying it.

Definately not 'risk free', which I assume you didn't mean literally...but the extra sponsorship might be a bit of a myth too.

i get the implication though, that associating yourself with top draw professionals is more prestigious and brands will pay more money ( on the next round of negotiations) to be associated with a 'better product'.

But I think there's very few names that fit into your assessment, and in my mind, none we could actually purchase.

If we bought Lionel Messi I'd imagine the clamouring to get somewhere near Liverpool ( as a brand) would be very lucrative, not to mention the players who would sign just to be in the same team.....but....it ain't gonna happen is it?

The closest I think anyone in this league could come is maybe UTD re signing Ronaldo....that would probably pay for itself in week one.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  2. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I've heard mrs ibramhovich fell in love with Manchester the moment she laid eyes on it.

3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Not through improved sponsorship deals, he's been there less than one season. Their shirts deal as far as i recall doesnt give them additional money based on sales either.

4. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Well, sadly the answer of your last sentence is in your first 2 or 3 sentences. VvD is a fantastic player, but Chelsea and City want him and they will do what is needed to sign him.
    We want Brandt, but Bayern also want him and guess what will happen during the summer. If Bayern want to sign a big German talent, in 99% they just sign him :-)
    We want Pulisic, but obviously he is not an option at the moment and in the near future too, because he sees better football perspectives in Dortmund.
    Last summer we wanted to sign Dembele and Gotze and both of them preferred BVB.
    Bayen is much bigger club than Dortmund and with our current structure of doing business we have no chance against them in the transfer market.The same is valid for Keita from RB Leipzig.
    Other members from the forum can say that I am far away from the truth, but we will talk again after less than 6 months /when the summer trasfer winow is closed/.
    And now S. Jones wrote that we are interested in Timo Werner :-). Yes, maybe we are interested, but that doesn't mean we have more than 5% chance to sign him this summer.
    And I agree that the transfer fee is not the most decisive factor, but money and wages most of the time guarantee decent success.
    We need new signings who can improve the starting 11, the minimum in my opinion is - center back, left back, winger and at least one central midfielder.
    If Can is sold /hopefully won't happen, because he will become better player/, we will need two central midfielders.
    Clyne maybe needs better competition, TAA is one of my favourite young players, but I am not sure that next season he will make the big step, but Klopp will decide that.
    Of course, Juergen loves Firmino, but maybe he will add one more forward to complement Origi and Ings. Sturridge in my opions is already packed and waiting to be sold to the highest bidder.
    Looking at Monaco's players - Cidibe, Fabinho, Bakayoko, Mbappe, Lemar, Silva.
    All of them - fantastic young players that will improve our first team, but almost every big club in the world will try to sign them and here we have huge problems, because we obviously don't seem capable of signing these type of players, beating off competition from other big teams from the european elite.
    This is not a rant, just realistic outlook of our transfer windows for the past 7-8 years.

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  5. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

IMO the best and most realistic statement signing we could make is Gabigol or Lewandowski.

6. redfanman

lol

7. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Who is Gabigol and why would it be a statement?

redfanman likes this.
  8. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

fixed it.:-)

9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Brazilian lad who signed for Inter in the summer, and has barely got a kick since. Now you know the former, you surely understand the latter.

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  10. redfanman

There were rumours in January that we had offered to take Gabigol on loan from Inter i think.

11. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

My view is the same than yours.
    We can't sign four or five world class players. Thus I would go for one of them and that would be VvD.

12. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

So world class signings are basically cost neutral to the club? Why isn't every club blowing £50m on players? After all they'll get it all back in magic sponsorship money.

13. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

I don't think we'll sign many big names this summer, I think it'll be similar to last year but with maybe a couple more thrown in. 5 signings of the calibre of Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip would do me nicely. Klavan has been relatively okay too, with Karius being the only failure so far. The key thing for me though is that all of those signings made sense, they all had a sense of logic behind them.

I think our left side is slow and weak, albeit two good players. Brandt and Kolasanic are over 6ft and quick. Seems to make sense.

We need a decent centre back who can win headers and stay fit. Surely that's not asking a lot? A player like VvD would be nice but it really isn't essential to spend that much money, it seldom seems to help.

A cracking centre mid would also be nice, whether it's more of a defensive player or box to box I'm not fussed.

Another centre forward. I doubt Klopp will see it necessary to spend so much money just for us to bench Firmino, so I'm looking at a player to be a better back up than Ings and Sturridge. Shouldn't be too hard given their contribution this season. Again, just look for a player who can operate in our style and who doesn't get injured when the clock strikes 12.

I think our first 11 is actually pretty good, and it's still young so there's plenty of scope for improvement in those players themselves, but by just adding a few reliable options our squad looks so much better. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't think it will be difficult for Klopp to improve the squad significantly in the coming summer window. We're not going to fix every problem in one go, some more steady first team improvement like last summer but with also more players coming in to bolster the squad (as well as a continuing faith in our best academy players) would be absolutely fine by me. I'm not under any illusions, we're not going to sign 4 or 5 top class footballers who turn us into one of Europe's most feared sides overnight.

14. Zinedine Biscan

Throw in shirt sales and you probably end up making a profit!

Mascot88 and redfanman like this.
  15. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

For some reason, ever since Beckham moved to Real, there is this theory of a club recouping its investment on famous known players just by selling their replica shirts. A player is worth the amount he was paid for by making a team more competetive, playing more games each season, whinning honors and for how much he can be sold at the end. Players want to play at Barcelona not because they want to bath in the light which is Messi but because he makes the team better and they want to play in that team.
    There is another theory about Liverpool not being able to draw players because low wage stracture. While wages are a big factor, I think the Chinese super league and the MLS has proven that wages are from being the decisive factor for a player in regards to where he wants to play.

16. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Still true.

We need starting strength adding at CB, LB, CM and striker. Replacing Mig wouldn't be a bad idea either. As @Dane says, it's about the right player. Statement of intent is all well and good. FSG tried that, he fell off a bar stool pissed having been badly scouted and signed.

But I will admit to being a real fan of the transfer window. The excitement, the will we won't we's. The ridiculous optimism at being linked with proper talent who are playing brilliantly NOW. Not potential, not 3 seasons hence, not signed to go out on loan and definately, absolutely, please god no, not from Southampton.

I'd love the boost it would give the club to sign a top line player. A now player, a today player, a player with recent performances to merit a figure that makes us think Klopp was right all along to bank his allowance.

It will cost money and lots of it to fix our weakness at the back. But a 30 goal a season striker would make for some serious fun next season. Would £50m fix our defence? It should but I doubt it would.

A top team needs a strong spine. I'd start at the head and work down :-)

Cologne-Liverpool and redfanman like this.
  17. Zinedine Biscan

If that's a response to me, my post was clearly a joke.

18. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

And if that superstar happens to be Asian...who knows where this money making scheme will end.

19. Mascot88

You don't fancy Van Dijk then? :-)

20. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Not after a 5 way bidding war.

Mascot88 and redfanman like this.
  21. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

It was not in response to your post, but those thoughts do trend around here.

redfanman likes this.
  22. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

No we should not make a 'big statement signing' this summer.
    How often have so-called top players moved to the PL and succeeded almost instantaneously - not as often as the clubs concerned would have liked and we simply can't afford to splash big money on one player that will more than likely inhibit much needed investment into other areas of the squad.
    We don't need to spend money on the big names when we have a manager who is one of the best (if not the best) around at spotting lesser known talent.
    Big money signings are also deeply unhelpful if they have a poor patch of form - the media narrative can seriously help derail a season.
    In short I think that as fans we will need to be very patient over the next few years as we will clearly be getting up to the top of the table in european football but it could take a little longer with this approach (which I have absolutely no problem at all with).

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  23. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I'd rather get players that really fit our tactical setup, than paying for superstar names that we would struggle to fit them in our team. I'd like us to be like Atletico and get the best players we can for our specific roles. We should be aiming to have a team better than sum of its parts.

Mane and Gini are the best examples, they aren't superstar names, but they perform much better than their perceived ability because they are a tailor fit to our tactical setup. That kind of transfers is what I would like to see in the summer once again.

Chewbazza and NYRhockey like this.
  24. RedBaron

RedBaron Curse you RedBaron!!!!

Potentially good players produce potentially good teams. World class players usually produce world class teams. We have the manager, just need the holes filling with WC players.
    Although that Mendy and Mbeppe(?) at Monaco look bloody good.

MarcusBerglund likes this.
  25. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Devils advocate. Ignoring whether we could land players or not but if both teams took same level of finance which team would people pick?

2 free signings, one reasonable cost and one mega money signing?

Karius, Weidenfeller, Ward
    Matip, Sakho, Lovren, Gomez, Wisdom
    Clyne, Kolasinac, Milner, Trent AA, Flanagan
    Henderson, Can, Stewart
    Wijnaldum, Grujic, Branagan
    Coutinho, Lallana, Ejaria
    Mane, Brandt, Woodburn, Ojo, Wilson, Kent
    Griezmann, Firmino, Origi, Ings

Or 9 reasonable signings and 1 free signing?

Handanovic, Karius, Ward
    Matip, Tah, Lovren, Klavan, Gomez
    Clyne, Kolasinac, Milner, Sessegnon, Trent
    Henderson, Paredes, Danilo
    Wijnaldum, Grujic, Branagan
    Lallana, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Ejaria
    Mane, Coutinho, Brandt, Pulisic, Ojo, Kent
    Firmino, Dembele, Origi, Ings

Personally think I'd go somewhere in between the two. As few signings as possible to benefit from a settled team and less disruption which in turn means we can concentrate on higher quality options. But doubt we can get away with putting all our hopes in one mega signing.

redfanman likes this.
  26. Zinedine Biscan

Can't agree that Pulisic, who leaving aside the not being for sale issue, would smash our current transfer record, is a reasonable signing. Looking at £40m+ there, which makes the idea of getting Tah, Brandt, Dembele (Celtic looking for £30m+ there alone) , Sessegnon and Paredes in the same summer well beyond our means.

The Elusive 19th and redfanman like this.
  27. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

And if Greizmann is on a poor form or is injured, we would be in deeper shit than the one we are in this season :-)

I personally prefer the second team, and I believe Klopp prefers that thinking too. It would give us a solid platform to upgrade individual players to WC players in subsequent windows while preserving our squad depth.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  28. Mascot88

If there's a bidding war, we'll back off. Not our cup of tea at all. We like a nice release clause.

29. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

We CAN compete for the best players the owners just dont want to. We are the 8th richest club in the world and weve been led to believe we are some small club where we have to penny pinch. Spending money stupidly is just that, stupid but we walk away from any player where we have competition it seems. We need to start paying that extra couple of million to get our man. We lose players to teams below and above us in the pecking order all the time. That bench v Burnley should never happen to LFC if we are genuinely looking to challenge. We will fall short every year if the quality of the squad doesnt improve. We need to stop accepting it and start asking questions

Artrain and MarcusBerglund like this.
  30. Mascot88

The problem with this 8th richest club in the world thing (isn't is 9th anyway?) is that four of the seven ahead of us are in our league. That makes it really hard to compete for those top players.

That bench happens because we have four first team players out injured, and the lads who would normally be sitting on the bench are on the field. It would have been a much better bench with Klavan, Can, Origi and Sturridge sitting on it.

We have a smaller squad this year because we have fewer games. We can't build a CL sized squad without being able to offer games to squad players. No top player is coming here on the promise of a game if four first team lads are injured.