Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I was reading somewhere, there have been quite a few players who Klopp was interested and spoke to a few players, recently, that Rostov player, Sardar Azmoun, he rejected coming to play for LFC in January as he didn't want to be on the bench.

We are finding it hard trying to recruit players who want to play for us, even with Klopp as our manager and it isn't about the money sometimes, it is so frustrating. We need use some form of persuasion and attraction to get the players to want and come and play for our club.

FGred likes this.
  2. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

I think that kid's taken the Iranian Messi tag a bit too seriously. No wonder Klopp was like; sure thing bud...

3. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

Look, we have no idea what Klopp is thinking or planning to do and so we have no idea who he is looking at or speaking to. Let's just trust the man to do what needs to be done and get it right until a time when he gives us very good reason not to trust him. The summer hasn't even arrived yet ....... patience ......... !

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  4. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Well we're nailed on now to sign Sead Kolasinac from Schalke at LB.. apparently. He's leaving on a Bosman so should be within our budget ;-)

All joking aside, I'm quite excited about this lad (23), big for a fullback, strong, fast, full-blooded and hard working.. and of course.. FREE, so it will "solve" our left back problem while allowing the transfer department to work on other problem areas that might require more money and finesse in the negotiations.

MarcusBerglund and redfanman like this.
  5. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Kolasinac just tore his abductor muscle 10 days ago, and was out 2 seasons ago due to a knee injury. Seems risky.

6. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Depends on where we are at the end of the season. If we're in the Champions League, have Klopp as the manager, and are offering a fair and decent salary package and they still want additional convincing, then they fall into the category of "not wanted here in the first place" category.

As to the original question... yes. A big statement signing generally involves a player who can make a significant impact on our starting eleven, and one or two players of that calibre would be very, very welcome.

LaurazRed, SirBillShankly and Maria like this.
  7. rickardinho1

There are 3 reasons why the club should be able to spend big on key players this year:

1. Player Sales
    The sales of Sakho (£20m?), Moreno (£10m?), Sturridge (£20m?), along with Bogdan, Wisdom, etc, should net the club a decent sum of £50m+ that can go towards player purchases.

2. Savings from 2016

Net Spend Summer 2016:
    • Man City: £169m
    • Man Utd: £141m
    • Chelsea: £98m
    • Arsenal: £82m
    • Spurs: £30m
    • Liverpool: negative £15m
    Out of all 20 PL teams only Southampton had a lower net spend than Liverpool in 2016. With the rise in TV revenues this suggests that there is plenty of money to be spent. Certainly, money should be spent (in the region of £100m net) if the club wants to match the ambition of other top PL sides.

3. Potential CL Football

Qualification for the CL looks quite likely, and that will provide more revenues towards transfers, as well as make it more likely that top players want to join.

--------------

Big Signings

With incoming transfer fees likely to be at least £50m, and looking at the net spend of other top clubs in 2016 (of around £100m), it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Liverpool to make some seriously big signings this summer, totaling an outlay of £150m (net of £100m). Note that by "big" I don't necessarily mean "enormous transfer fees", but usually the top players tend to command decent fees.

Now, most would agree that the squad needs a CB, LB, CM, and LW (and perhaps also a ST).

Van Dijk is an obvious target, who would eat a chunk of that money - probably £40m or so, and would probably be classed as something of a statement signing given that other top clubs are interested too.

That said, one signing that would really put a marker down and transform the team would be to sign someone like James Rodriguez from Real Madrid.

He's only started 7 of 28 league games and 4 of 8 CL games for Real Madrid this season (yet still put up a goal or assist every 80 minutes of play, mainly from CM/AM), and given that he's somewhat out of favour £50m or so might just be enough.

Having him lining up in midfield would be the sort of signing to get people excited, just as Arsenal fans were excited about Ozil and Sanchez, or Man United fans were excited about Di Maria.

A midfield of Henderson-Lallana-James (w/ Can & Wijnaldum on the bench) would be beautiful to watch with the front 3 of Mané-Firmino-Coutinho in front of them.

Van Dijk + Rodriguez solve the CB and CM/AM issues, and would leave £60m to spend on a LB and LW.

There are plenty of LB's and LW's around who could improve the squad within the remaining budget (eg. Brandt at £25m + a LB at £20m) and if Klopp decides that Ings isn't fit enough then his sale (£10m?) plus the remaining £15m could go towards another striker for £25m as well.

Having those two big signings - a CB and CM/AM done would already make the summer a successful window.

All-in-all, with the money available the emphasis clearly needs to be on quality rather than quantity, and the right signings could make for a very strong squad next season:

------------ Karius
    Clyne Matip V-Dijk -- LB
    -------- Henderson
    --- James ----- Lallana
    Mané -------------Coutinho
    ----------Firmino

Bench: Mignolet, Lovren, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, Brandt, Origi
    Reserve: Klavan, Gomez, Trent, Lucas, Stewart, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo, Woodburn, Ings*

The above is clearly just speculation, but the noise coming out from Klopp (in today's press conference), as well as from local journalists (Paul Joyce and James Pearce) seems to be that there is plenty of money to be spent - and that it will be spent, suggesting that the potential signings above may not be so unrealistic - certainly not in terms of financial outlay at least.

8. richieh10

richieh10 Active Member

Will all depend on the budget.

Considering the last few windows we've broken even or even been in profit we need to make a statement.

If we are in the champions league this will help if we are not then it's going to be fishing around for the scraps or hoping Klopp has a few aces up his sleeve

FGred likes this.
  9. richieh10

richieh10 Active Member

Considering the fact that we've been in the black the last few windows, the PL money and hopefully the champions league money I'm expecting our budget to be 150 minimum

10. rickardinho1

The emphasis now has to be on quality rather than quantity, otherwise we'll just end up in the same position as before last summers clear-out.

Thus, it's better to buy 1-2 world class players first and to (for example) put up with Milner at LB for another season than to sign 2 "good" players and a "good" leftback.

Thankfully it seems as if FSG and Klopp are playing the long-game by signing quality instead of quantity, given that they signed Karius, Matip, Wijnaldum, and Mané all with the aim of having them in the first XI; so I think we'll see them continue to focus on players who can improve/complement the first XI first and foremost.

FGred likes this.
  11. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

A cheaper version of Griezman is Kevin Gameiro same size and he's french a bit older though

12. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

I agree as most of the top players want to move to Big City clubs Like London Milan Barcelona Madrid etc I'm afraid we will have to continue plucking out little gems like Suarez Coutinho Firmino Torres etc and also hope that we will produce a golden nugget from the academy like Owen Gerrard Fowler Macca etc

13. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

It doesnt have to be a big name just have to be very good or potentially very good like

Oblak, VVD, Brandt or Pulsic, Keita etc

We need at least 6 players of this level and probably another 4 Bosman style signings to boost the squad to battle on all fronts

14. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

No need for big name players we just need ten new ones,holy fucking shit balls.:eh?:

Livvy and geebo like this.
  15. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I'm not entirely agreeing with this, mate. Yes, Torres was a statement of intent, but before that, bringing in Xabi (one of the hottest talents around), bringing in Masch (again, not in his prime yet, but a talent everyone was aware of, and very expensive), were two other genuine statements of intent. It doesn't need to be a player in his prime who costs gazillions. With Kenny, we brought in Suarez, who fits the same category.

One could say that Mané was such a signing as well. I'd describe him as Klopp's first serious statement of intent. Hopefully there will be many more in the future.

Agree on the part concerning the managers. Managing to appoint Benitez was a monumental statement of intent at the time, and Klopp's is one as well, no doubt about this.

Limiescouse, MarcusBerglund and geebo like this.
  16. rickardinho1

Klopp's first signing was Matip, and although it was on a free transfer, signing a player of that calibre was in my mind the first signal of intent.

Matip was wanted by many clubs at the time and could presumably have the choice of a number of other big clubs and for big money too, but chose to come to Liverpool, not even waiting around until the summer to sign on either.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  17. rickardinho1

10 new players?! Presumably you'd be selling a whole bunch of players then?

And where are you gonna find 4 Bosman signings that are at the right level and profile?

The only players on expiring contracts under the age of 30 of any note are Kolasinac (just tore his abductor last week), Balotelli, Chopou-Moting, and Ghezzal, none of whom are really what the club needs in terms of quality.

18. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Kolasinac is injured? Is it serious? eg is it one of those that can recur? Can't find anything about it with a cursory googling

19. rickardinho1

See this: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sead-kolasinac/verletzungen/spieler/94005

He tore his abductor muscle 11 days ago.

He also ruptured his cruciate ligament 2-3 years ago. Seems like a risk worth avoiding if the club is serious about solving the LB position once and for all.

Jase likes this.
  20. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

We could sell or release the following this summer

Ward
    Mingolet or Karius (if we buy Oblak)
    Moreno
    Sakho
    Lucas
    Can - if he doesnt sign new contract
    Stewart
    Sturridge
    Ojo
    Randall
    Brannagan

Clearly it would make some sense to replace with higher quality and from what I can see we have a nucleus of players Klopp would trust to start a big PL or CL game

Mingolet or Karius

Clyne
    TAA
    Milner
    Lovren
    Matip
    Henderson
    Grujic
    Gini
    Lallana
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Mane
    Origi

Thats 14 players so you would certainly be wanting to add 7 players of similar quality ie
    GK
    CB
    LB
    CM1
    CM2
    AM
    CF OR AM2

Giving a quality 21 which would be suplemented by Gomez, Klavan, Ings, Woodburn and maybe Allan

Hopefully that would be enough to cope with the massive injurites we seem to have got over the last two seasons

21. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

22. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

23. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Bringing in ten players says nothing more than we have failed in the market, again.

24. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

@Hope in your heart, I can't agree with Alonso being a statement of intent purely because he was never being chased by big clubs at that time. Mascherano was seen as an outcast when he arrived from West Han hardly able to get a game. These to me are all potentials, highly regarded potentials. Statement of intent is when you sign someone that straight away make everyone took notice of you. Nobody take much of a look at us until we grab a hold of Torres, showing we are moving up the value chain.

25. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

This is why I find you posts bonkers.

You're talking about a squad of 25 players, which is nuts. Go have a look at the squads other CL teams have. But at least you've come down from 'thirty, in case the FA make us play two games in 48 hours'

My view on the squad is that you limit the movement as much as necessary.

Klopp says he is happy with his Keepers. I'd take him on his word on that one - I think he still thinks Karius will come good.

At centre back there is a good case for adding a reliable commanding figure who doesn't get injured.

We could do with a left back to replace Moreno.

I don't think we need to do much in midfield. We have Can, Hendo, Lallana, Wijnaldum, and Grujic; and I would add Coutinho to that mix, because I think there is a deeper role for him against the shite. We could also see more of Milner there is we sign a left back, as I am sure Klopp will want him on the pitch.

I'm fine with Origi and Firmino competing for the number nine spot, but we need to add two wide players here, if Klopp thinks he has no-one coming through.

So you're looking at

Karius
    Mignolet
    Milner
    TAA
    Clyne
    NEW LB
    Matip
    Lovren
    Klavan
    NEW CB
    Hendo
    Can
    Wijnaldum
    Lallana
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Origi
    Mane
    NEW WIDE PLAYER
    NEW WIDE PLAYER

20 players,backed up by Gomez, Wilson, Ejaria and Woodburn. Four players in, four first teamer out (not including the loans or youth)

redfanman and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  26. Scott Jones

Clearly you have left out the other six players we need and four bosman,;-)

redfanman likes this.
  27. rickardinho1

The only players in your first list who are current First team squad players are: Mignolet, Lucas, Moreno, Can, Sturridge. Mignolet and Can aren't fringe players so I highly doubt that they would be allowed to leave.

Ward, Stewart, Ojo, Randall, and Brannagan don't really factor into a conversation about "overhauling the squad" because none of them are currently in the first team squad.

Apart from getting rid of fringe players (Moreno, Lucas, Sturridge) or players on loan (Sakho, Markovic, et al) this squad does not need a huge 7-10 player overhaul.

Rather, what it needs is 4-5 quality additions.

Oblak is settled at a good team at Atletico who challenge for the CL every year so that isn't really a realistic signing to target. Nor does it seem that Klopp is dissatisfied with our GK situation (quite the contrary in fact).

CB, LB, CM, and a winger are the 4 priorities. Get those 4 right and the squad already looks much stronger.

Scott Jones likes this.
  28. Scott Jones

Now your just talking sense mate,no need for that.:-)

rickardinho1 likes this.
  29. rickardinho1

Haha, yeah probably not.

Here's how I see it:

CB, LB, CM, and LW are the 4 key signings to make. Ideally the CM can play RW too:

------------ Karius
    Clyne Matip NewCB - NewLB
    ---------- Henderson
    --- NewCM ------- Lallana
    Mané ---------------- Coutinho
    ------------ Firmino

Bench: Mignolet, Lovren, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, NewLW, Origi
    Reserves: Klavan, Gomez, Trent, Stewart, Grujic, Woodburn, Wilson, Ojo, Ings

This way we strengthen the First XI with 3 quality starters, and also have good options off the bench all over the pitch.

Scott Jones likes this.
  30. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Active Member

Buy: James, VVD, Lacazette, Brandt and Kolasinac(free transfer)

Sell: Sakho(20-30), Markovic(10-15), Sturridge(20-30 if we're lucky), Moreno(150 bc god)

If we make all those sales on the lower end we'd cover the fee paid for 1 of the big 3 mentioned first

Then realistically we'd only be paying big money for 2 signings and Brandt would be a normal price in today's market and Kolasinac would be free