Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether we need 3 or 33 players, we have to assume that anyone we go for who is first team ready (at least by our standards) will also be on the radar of the big clubs both in the EPL and across Europe... even if those clubs would only use them as squad players at best.

Playing under Klopp is a nice carrot, but no better than Conte, Simeone, Zidane, Gaurdiola, Mourinho (arguable), Wenger (if he's still there), Pochettino, others.

Wage potential and salary structure negotiations are not in our favour when we consider the rivals. We'll see if Edwards and co have learned any lessons about closing out a deal when there's serious competition... I'm remaining optimistic. Transfer price shouldn't hold us back too much. We're capable of paying a £30m+ fee and the players we'll be looking at aren't the Pogbas or Griezmans of this world.

The main thing we can control is ECL qualification. We absolutely must get top 4 this season.

Alright Now likes this.
  2. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Kolasinac just tore his abductor muscle. Second serious injury in 2.5 years (the other was an ACL tear).

As for the others, it would be a very successful window if the club managed to sign just two of those 4 you mentioned. Signing a player like James in particular would transform this team, as would Van Dijk.

Van Dijk should theoretically be an easy sell given that he's already in the PL and he would be the partner for Matip.

Rodriguez on the other hand is tricky given that he seems to be the sort of player who wants the big city life, and moreover there aren't any other Spanish-speakers on the team (when Moreno leaves); whereas in contrast Chelsea have Fabregas, Pedro, Azpilizueta, and Marcos Alonso, and City have a Spanish manager in Pep.

Luring talents like Xabi Alonso, Torres, Mascherano was much easier with a Spanish manager, just as it is easier to lure German talents now with a German manager. For that reason it's probably a long-shot, but good to hear that the club is at least trying to sign him (from Guillem Balague).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Real Madrid were seriously in for him, mate. He was an acknowledged super-talent already. But Real Sociedad didn't want to sell him to a club in the same league. They asked more than £13m for him, while eventually accepting a £10,7m from LFC (enormous amounts of money at the time). That was when Rafa's knowledge of the Spanish market and his undeniable intelligence came to fruition for the first time. Happy times... :-)

Cologne-Liverpool and redfanman like this.
  4. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

I think if we go down the making a big statement route we will have to go after more than one big name player in the same transfer window. If we can indicate to a player that we will have another 1 or 2 players of similar quality coming in imminently, preferably in positions where we are known to be a bit weak, then we might be successful. If we can do this through the same agent that would make life a lot easier. I just can't see one big name player taking the risk these days unless he is sure that we mean business.

5. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Active Member

In regards to the Spanish speakers... I may be an idiot for assuming but I'm pretty confident that Coutinho, Firminio and Lucas all know spanish. I believe they learn it growing up or else they wouldn't always be hanging out with Moreno bc how else would they communicate lol

redfanman likes this.
  6. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Yes on second thought Lucas did hang out a lot with Suarez and Coates apparently so that's probably less of a concern than I originally thought. No doubt Coutinho and to a lesser extent Firmino have that little bit of "star quality" that attracts players like him as well.

The main selling point with Rodriguez is surely the prospect of challenging for the PL and CL with a team that plays an attacking style and tends to win a lot of big games against rivals.

One would think that Rodriguez would be totally put off by going to United given the poisonous situation they have with Mourinho as well as the recent experience of Di Maria. That leaves us competing with City and Chelsea (plus the likes of PSG and perhaps Juventus), but you'd think that Klopp would at least give him a decision to make, even though the likeliest outcome imo is that he heads to Chelsea.

7. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Dont think that second front 6 is strong enough to rotate during CL game time,

We cant escape the fact that we have had 15 injuries this season 10 that have been reasonably long. the recent Lallana injury has proved that those front 6 players could get injuies if asked to play Man City on a Sunday and Lyon on a Wednesday. Also we need better options to rotate at Christmas time. Dont think its an issue at the back.

I agree that Klopp might not change the GK but he should

8. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

it should be a front 18, of course.

redfanman likes this.
  9. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Apart from it missing a top draw striker from the post you quoted there is nothing really wrong, you don't half know how to exaggerate.

10. Imgoingred

Imgoingred TIA Reserve Team

Quality over quantity

The problem has always been with establishing a strong "spine" for the team. Why is there even a debate over whether to sign proven world-class quality vs squad depth? You're paying for a player you'd know would improve your starting 11 and will be starting every game he's fit. Fork out 20 mil x 6 and you'll have a Bodgers 2014-15 start. Learn from our mistakes... We'd all take 1 or 2 Suarez' back over Lambert, Lallana, Lovren, Markovic, Moreno and Balotelli etc. Surely we'd take 2 or 3 Sanchez, Van Djik and Rodriguez/Aubameyang over 6-8 Sardar Azmouns...

Makati Red likes this.
  11. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

And what about games they are not fit? We have a squad of about 13-14 players right now that are trusted. The current side have been good enough to get us to the top spots, and our lack of depth has cost us games that would have cemented our position or pushed for title.

12. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

This is the 6th time you've told us about his abductor muscle. I think we've all got the message.

13. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I don't think it's quite sunk in for me yet, actually.

Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
  14. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

Seeing as we're banned from signing kids that means we're left looking at players with 1 year left on their contract lol :think::((

15. MagicMoreno18

MagicMoreno18 New Member

I think that we should look into re-signing Joe Allen for around 10million

16. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

I don't think we need a big name signing, but as long as we dont' lose some from our staring XI I'd love to see us sign a big name CB to pair with Matip. If VVD is as good as everyone says/thinks, then I'd be happy to see us splash 55 mp on him....I'm a bit skeptical after Lovren, but it seems like everyone agrees on this one. Or just splash the cash on that young keeper in Italy. Keeper and CB are two positions I'd love us to make a statement signing in.

Everywhere else I don't think we need a statement signing, I think the starting squad is solid, but any upgrade is always more than welcome.

17. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

@TFC judging by how fragile our starting midfield is, I would rather us go for another midfield starter instead of keeper, or we get a left back and move Milner into deeper midfield, a cover for Henderson if you will.

For me, a 20 plus goal scorer is a must, with pace as well. Unless Origi is ready to step up, I don't want Firmino to keep that apt his without anyone challenging him.

18. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Active Member

I think we should sign Kolasinac for free

*waits for rickardinho1

Chewbazza likes this.
  19. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Well I agree with most of that, I just don't see a left back or a cover midfielder as a 'big statement' signing. Both are signings we need, and I hope we sign, but its just not where I think we most need a statement signing. If we do sign a big statement signing at those positions I'd still be happy, there isn't a position on the pitch I wouldn't be happy with that, but I just think CB and/or Keeper would make the biggest impact on our best XI. I really like the majority of the players in our squad, its a good group, an upgrade anywhere is always welcome but in regards to what I think we need, for me its a CB most of all followed by a Keeper. Would never say no to a 20 goal scorer though ;-)

20. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

South American Spanish is about as different from Castilian Spanish as Spanish in general is from Portuguese. The same with Brazilian and Portuguese Portuguese. In other words, Brazilians can understand Argentinians about as easily as they can understand Spaniards. And they can all understand each other more than they can understand Hendo.

redfanman likes this.