Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Can't say I am loving the numbers behind this transfer. If what I am seeing is true, my goodness why don't we just buy Soton's scout network. How much money are we funneling into their coffers FFS.

£60mil for a defender is fucking stupid. You can buy Thiago Silva or Varane or Marquinos for that kind of money.

2. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Except they play for Madrid or PSG. You can't 'just buy' anyone.

Van Dijk is also 4 inches taller than Silva and Marquinos. In a side that lacks height throughout it we should be looking to have imposing centre backs, not 6 footers. Van Dijk is exactly what we need and has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world.

3. Tdot_LFC

Tdot_LFC New Member

4. Semmy

If he were £20-25mil I would say yes. But at the price of being the most expensive defender in the world? Sorry, we should be buying proven quality at the level of Varane or Silva, not "potential"

If LFC do this deal at the price being thrown around, nothing we can do about it as fans. But if he doesn't solve the problems then you have to take a really hard look at your management and coaching staff.

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

So £35m for Salah and £57.5m for Van Dijk, that's £92.5m for two players. Something City, Chelsea, PSG, Real, Barcelona and United does regularly and now we are in the same category. Well done fellas, well done! If that isn't making a statement.... I don't know what is.

6. ILLOK

I'm not buying this proven nonsense again. You were making the same arguments against Mane last year. He wasn't 'proven' either, yet he's better than the so called 'proven' players you were proposing. That's where judgement comes into it. Good managers can indentify players who are capable of playing at a higher level. Fergie signing Ferdinand from Leeds, for example, instead of whoever was playing at the best teams in Europe.

Van Dijk has the ability to play at the highest level. 6'4, athletic, good on the ball. What more do you want? The fact he hasn't played for a top side yet doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic footballer.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  7. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

People moaning as we're about to sign arguably the best Centre Back in the Premier, competing and beating Chelsea and City in the process, making it extra sweet.

Yes Semmy, i'm looking at you :think:

8. Semmy

It's about the money for Van Dijk, not the player. No doubt he has talent, I haven't disputed that. It's about making a player from Soton with one good season under his belt the most expensive defender?

If he was that good, why did they concede 48 last year? GD of -7?

Part of our problem defending is the merry-go-round of CB that have been cycling through Anfield, we don't have a settled CB pairing, haven't a strong organized leader on the pitch and not patient enough to let a pairing get familiar with each other.

We all can concede Chelsea were the best-defending team in the league last year, but why? Are their CB that good? Or have they been playing together long enough that they know what to do together...

If this is a done deal and VVD is a red then it's a moot point...but I don't see the value in this one

9. Semmy

Go ahead and look all day. IDGAF.

I am not one bitching about FSG being tight-wads and penny pinching on transfers. I am happy the club has been fiscally responsible and it doesn't excite me to splash the cash to make a 'statement'

Not disputing the talent. It's how much we are paying for him, and who we are paying it to that bothers me. I don't see it. But I don't work for LFC and it doesn't matter what I think at the end of the day

10. ILLOK

Chelsea signed Alonso, Luiz, Kante and brought Moses back into the fold. 4 new players in their defensive positions on the pitch. How is that evidence for your argument?

Van Dijk represents a clear upgrade on what we have. He's the leader you say we haven't got. It's expensive, no doubt, but the player is an excellent one. One we need.

11. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

$ it isn't real. Just lies to keep the populous quiet. Let's buy them all, if Klopp wants them. Bring them in. We have Mr Klopp selling the club to the top players. No worrying about numbers. We are fans, not book keepers. Checking the ledgers...we've been stingy for ages. Make a statement. Bid for Mbappe 100million plus 1$.

12. Semmy

Moses has been a Chelsea-signed player for 4 seasons, still trains with parent club off-season. Playing WB is hardly a defensive position for him and even Chelsea show him as a MF on their first-team page.

Their defensive core was Cahill, Zouma, Luiz, Terry, Azpil plus Matic and Kante shielding

Only Kante is the new boy there. A lot of experience in that core and it showed

13. Semmy

Fair enough, but no complaints at ticket prices then? Can't have your cake and eat it too

14. lfc.eddie

Gate receipts not the only way to make money, and the television money dwarfed what gate receipts we collect per season. So let's not go on about ticket prices. It is the owner's job to provide funds for the club to buy players, and it is the senior executives and management team they assembled to go out and get the best commercial revenue for the club. If we keep relying on squeezing the fans who go to matches, then we have a very bad bunch of senior management team leading the commercial department and owners. Yes, I can have my cake and eat it.... this is what football is all about. Owners providing funds and not penalise the community who goes to matches week-in, week-out. I am happy with the way they are conducting themselves this window, very happy. I will not be able to call them lacking ambition anymore, the last box they should be ticking is to keep the continuity going and no knee jerk reaction after this summer spending when things don't pan out.

15. ILLOK

If we were given the option of signing a centre back 40 million cheaper and cheaper tickets for the next 2 or 3 seasons, of course I'd take that.

That isn't a choice though.

lfc.eddie and Scott Jones like this.
  16. SirBillShankly

Sorry Semmy, I'm one of those out of date grown ups. What does IDGAF mean?

17. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

i don't give a fuck,sorry Sir.

Klopptinho likes this.
  18. Tdot_LFC

Tdot_LFC New Member

19. SirBillShankly

Any chance to swear and you take it with open arms. You're a bad boy Jonesy.:J

20. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

i see what @Semmy is saying about the price of the transfer and the fact that the guy is unproven at the champions league / challenging for titles level of football . we might expect to get a world cup winner for £50-60m but when competing with clubs like citeh and chelski in the transfer market the price rockets due to their very deep pockets . for example if we were to look at mats hummels and we offered £70m citeh/chelski would probably offer £95m in an attempt to blow us out of the water. on what VvD has done so far he is not worth £50m but will he improve our defence ? very likely .

21. Scott Jones

Just being helpful,fuck sake i won't bother next time.:-(

22. lfc.eddie

If we need to fill the team with proven Champs League players, we might need to replace the entire squad. The difference between now and 2014 is that our manager has the experience to share this time around.

spartacus136 likes this.
  23. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

well true to a point ! we did have experience back in 2014 with a few players but lets not get on to that subject ! the point isn't about that though , it is just about the transfer fee , VvD spent half of last season out injured , has never played at a very very high level and is going to cost £50m. i think without the interest of chelski and citeh we would be more likely to be quoted £35-40m . if it was arsenal or spurs in for him with us they would be more prudent and try to force the price down . i don't doubt his quality personally but that injury with his ankle usually cause further problems. i'd be happier if it was a straight swap for sakho and moreno :tongue: haha

this isn't a moaning post or anti transfer by the way . i 'll be delighted to see him wearing liverpool red .

24. lfc.eddie

That's the thing though, we have always been worried about being priced out by these two clubs and now we are about to overcome that. For me that marked as a new chapter of how much the owners are putting their money where their mouth is. I am glad they stepped up, and the only thing I would like to see is the owners not having the fans' kneejerk reaction if things don't pan out the way they expect it to turn out - i.e. winning the league or Champs League right away. I would like to see them back this current group of coaching staff not only with money, but with time to win the league and champs league. I am happy to see us fought off these heavy weights, rather than beating off penny pinchers. We have finally arrived....

Klopptinho and Livvy like this.
  25. Scott Jones

We've bit the bullet,chewed it up and spat it out,we are making serious statements.

Eintrachtfan, Klopptinho and Livvy like this.
  26. Semmy

That's not what I am saying.

All these posts last year about the matchday ticket prices, Spion Kop and Spirit of Shankley getting bent out of shape with the costs even with the new stand. Well, if the players who seemed to be linked decide to sign at the prices stated then there is nothing left to complain about at the gates if your support the signings.

I see how he played last year (when he was healthy) and I don't see £50-60mil and £180-200wk. That's what I am saying. Sorry (not sorry) that's my opinion on this one.

Halve those costs and I think you're more in line for the level which he has proven himself at. I just don't believe in paying that much for potential.

You want to throw that kind of money around, I want to see the net ripple. CL-experience, big game performances.

But like I said earlier, it's Klopp and FSG's game to play not mine

27. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

I agree with Semmy - but to be fair, I think that the salary on offer is probably not the £200k a week being bandied, but probably a lot closer to the £120k a week. (Plus incentives and bonuses).

As to the transfer fee - I think that's the new reality of the ridiculous TV money, I'm afraid. Stones went for the same amount last year, and I personally don't think he's in any way better than Van Dijk. Now we're looking at £100m offers being knocked back for a teenager in France, who's had one season of excellence, but is a dip in form or an injury from going from the next Ronaldo to the next Quaresma.

28. Semmy

I believe the Mbappe rumors to be click-bait gossip. He's good but he isn't THAT good.

Imagine what Pulisic is worth in that scale, then? BvB's Dembele? Sané?

29. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

Are we going above 50mp?
    Irrespective of the fee, VVD is the best CB in the EPL.
    Not to mention, he is leadership material which we lack in absence of Hendo.
    Sign one of Auba/lacazatte/Kun/Sanchez and many grown men would weep with happiness here:celebrating:

30. Semmy

Coming back to this one as I missed it last go-round.

Difference is between 2014 and now is the complete vacuum of players with CL experience in our squad. The coaches and managers can prepare the squad, but the best manager in the world can only look onto the pitch. The players are the ones who have to perform.

Here's LFC's last starting lineup for CL vs Real Madrid...aka, reality check time.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Toure, Skrtel, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Lallana, Markovic, Borini.

Subs: Jones, Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli.

So, 3 players who have the most basic of experience in CL in our entire squad. Possibly 4 with Milner? Do you really believe that experience isn't valuable?

I disagree. I would love to have a player of Mascherano's experience in our squad to bring the lads along