So Rafa Wasnt Sacked!

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Makati Red, Apr 12, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Hope in your heart likes this.
  2. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Yeah it's an interesting story, and somewhat contradicts the ongoing myth surrounding Rafa's departure (that it was actually Purslow who sacked him... Broughton is never really brought in relation to this, although he was Purslow's boss at the time).

I understand the thinking behind what he says, and think it's genuine. Yet, I don't think at all that he tells the whole story there... what for instance was Purslow's role in sacking Rafa (or letting him go) and how much did he influence Broughton's perception of Rafa? He also describes Rafa as a bit of a maniac when he finally met him. I'm not sure that this isn't a very distorted account of the true story.

What is obvious is that they weren't able to understand each other, that is clear, and ultimately, that proved to be very damageable for the club.

3. Makati Red

I knew Rafa liked to play politics within the club which was probably his number one failing at LFC but I had no idea it went to the lengths of employing his own PR team.

Just goes to show what a terrible time that was for the club with Rafa, the old owners and the new board all pulling in completely different directions.

4. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I think it overplays the selling of the club. If the above events are accurate Rafa may have felt that there were not going to be new owners, so his leaving was for the best for everyone.

James H and Scott Jones like this.
  5. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Broughton didnt sack directly Rafa, he was only a temporary Chairman to facilitate finding new owners.

The board offered Rafa a deal to leave and he took it.

You can call it mutual consent but it was a sacking really.

If the company you work for offers you a deal to ask you to leave, are you being fired?

6. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Felt at the time that Rafa looked mentally done in that last season, that all the divisions and in-fighting had left him close to breaking point, and this seems to bear that out. Despite having an obvious love for the club, perhaps it was a bit of a relief for him to part ways in the end... and in fact I don't blame him for seeing a way out and taking it, if that's what happened. Honestly think that had he stayed then there's a chance his health may have started to suffer, and nobody wants that.

There's always two sides to every story, however, and it would be interesting to hear Rafa's account of this same period. I don't think Broughton is even mentioned in his book, thinking about it.

7. Makati Red

According to Broughton that is not what happened and what really happened is Rafa wanted out.

Broughton doesnt strike me as a liar and until somebody like Rafa comes out publicly to state something different this is what actually happened.

8. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Feel free to call BS if what I say is, well... BS, but this is how I remember it as I type this without reading this article or reading up on it.

I remember Broughton being brought in with the express instruction to find a buyer for the Club. He was installed as chairman against the actual wishes of Dumb and Dumber at the behest of RBS. The real 'football' man at the Club was Purslow who was hellbent on getting in the manager of the year with all his methods that have stood the test of time. Added to this was the allegation at the time that Rafa had lost the senior players in the squad, namely Gerrard and Carragher, and that cliques had formed between the Spanish lads and the cabal of senior local ones.

Purslow used this with the support of Gerrard and Carragher to basically make Rafa's position untenable. Rafa fought alot for what he saw as the heart and soul of the Club and by that time it is likely that he knew a losing battle when he saw one. FSG were nowhere near being in the picture at the time, new owners were likely but by no means a certainty and the players he needed to support him most had by that time thrown in their lot with Purslow. Mutual consent is a misnomer here; Broughton had no real say in the matter and if Rafa had not walked with a 'deal' its likely that he would have been pushed in any case to make way the Manager of the Year and the 'big name signing'.

It really was a perfect storm of events that with hindsight we can see we've been paying for over the better part of a decade and long after the perpetrators of the travesty have left the Club.

9. Flobs

Flobs FADA

He's got Sir before his name and was Chairman of an airline company!
    Just saying.

10. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

We know it wasn't a pure sacking, but whatever happened, his departure (+ Hodgson joining) was one of the worst decisions/events of our club in modern history.

11. Makati Red

Some parts of what you say maybe true especially the bit about the unholy alliance that was Carra, Gerrard and Purslow but Broughton is pretty clear that Rafa instigated his own departure what led to Rafa instigating his own departure is another story all together, Broughton wanted Rafa to stay for the reasons he gave in the artilce

12. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

Considering he was just there for the sale and he makes himself out to be a saint, he admits to questioning the football side of things. I can see wht Rafa might have thought - here we go again.

“He had come with a shopping list which included, for example, a left back. And I said ‘Rafa, you’ve been here six years, and you’ve bought six left backs and you’re telling me none of them have worked. So what are you going to differently this time?’

13. Makati Red

FWIW even had he stayed i am pretty sure FSG would have got rid of Rafa anyway, they have had two opportunities to reappoint him and have swerved well clear as they never wanted to give the manager the amount of power Rafa had at Anfield. Could Rafa have given up that control I doubt it very much. Also when he left there were 50% of fans very happy until the naming of the new manager I was one of those wanting Hodgson sacked from day one.

14. Flobs

Flobs FADA

This is important as it would indicate that Sir Airline company chairman had taken sides.
    Our LB situation backs Rafa on this. Didn't Rafa's replacement bring in a LB? (indicating the clubs position on this changed once Rafa had gone). Yet even now we are still in a situation of needing a LB.

It is obvious whenever anyone comments on the situation under Hicks and company all we get is face saving clap trap. There is never any enlightenment.
    It is obvious to me from reading that small extract that Airline company Chairman was not up to the job and even took it as a part time job (imo hobby).
    To take 3 weeks to have a 'meeting' with the football manager stinks of incompetence (admitted he couldn't impose himself on Rafa), just go down to the training ground or jump on the airplane but as the boss just insist. Meeting with Rafa should have been done on his first day and it was his responsibility to insure this happened.
    Whether he wanted to keep on Rafa or not what is evident is he helped push Rafa out (clear as daylight just from that little extract).

15. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I agree. He even throws in a..."they had a game, which I didnt go to..." So it was a case of he thinks he was being accomodating to Rafa's schedule but seemingly only when it fit his schedule. I get he had a bear of a job to do, but so did Rafa. As you say, if he really wanted to see him he could have got on the plane with the team and had them meeting on the way to Spain.

16. richieh10

richieh10 Member

Gotta say I love Rafa

koptician and redfanman like this.
  17. Hope in your heart

As I said before, that doesn't mean that he tells the whole story though... I'd be very prudent before starting to condemn Rafa on the base of this testimony.

So, in a first meeting, he basically tells Rafa that he knows more about the left-back issue than him (probably influenced in this by the football genius Purslow, who had all the time to influence him negatively in that regard...)? Not a very elegant way to start a working relationship...

redbj, redalways and Flobs like this.
  18. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

I am a bit meh on this story, it seems like a nothing revelation with no real benefit. I like Rafa and think he was good for our club even if I personally would not class him a legend, Broughton had a hand in getting the two gangsters out so there is a certain amount of gratitude there also, but mud-slinging at this time seems petty and pointless, if Rafa never makes a statement against this I would actually be more inclined to take his side 100% as the innocent man here will not feel the need to justify their stance.

19. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Sounds to me he is a breakfast at 11 am chap. Rafa was surely already up and about doing club business by that time. lol

Limiescouse, James H and redfanman like this.
  20. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

I mean, he comes into a club, where he already (by his own admission) knows that there is a stand-off between the owners, the CEO, and the man in charge of football matters, and he doesn't do his best to reassure the man in charge of football matters, who subsequently leaves.

Is anyone else but him surprised at the turn of events? The first thing he could have done was to assure Rafa that he was just there to sell the club - end of story. Not ask him why he needed another left back after Aurelio, Insua, and Dossena (who else am I missing?) - one successful but injury-prone, one young player, and another who turned out to not adapt well.

21. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Just to make my position clear on all this shit. I don't give a monkeys how or why Rafa went. Let's be fair it's not why Broughton was brought in in any case.
    The situation of the club was dire. Broughton didn't help this situation, just look at what went on whilst he was supposedly in charge 'looking for a buyer'. It appeared and appears to me that any crook could come along and be taken seriously.
    As it turned out we can consider ourselves lucky FSG came along. The incompetence of those directing the club was that bad (including Broughton who I consider an arsehole as he didn't do his job (not the only one mind you)). However I am sure that if someone half competent had come along to sort the shit out we could well have had better owners than FSG come in.

N.B On FSG I think they are reasonable yet are keeping us in catch up mode. They are not modern and have not introduced anything that would turn the heads of a 2nd division club let alone a Top 6 club. So I am thankful they came along but can not help wondering what if?

koptician likes this.
  22. Makati Red

Not condemning Rafa for wanting out but pointing out that Rafa wasnt sacked but just wanted out which was probably the right thing to do. The choice was just to put his head down and get on managing the club but he couldnt or didnt want to do that. So at the time Rafa probably made the best choice. What seems to be the case which wasnt how it was told at the time is Rafa could have stayed if he wanted to.

23. Hope in your heart

I can't see how Rafa leaving the club at that moment (and then being replaced by Hodgson) could have been the best thing to do, even for himself. He was the glue holding everything together, as there was still a good spine of players at the club at that moment. So, it was the club's duty to do the utmost to keep him at the club during the transitional period, until new owners would come in. Broughton's initial intent was correct, but he then failed to act accordingly as he admits himself, which led Rafa to think he wasn't wanted anymore (which was obviously correct).

When Rafa left, everything fell apart at fast pace on the footballing side (for instance a big part of the coaching team being renewed, Masch and Benayoun leaving as fast as they could, followed by Torres six months later). Broughton has his (big) part of responsibility in this, and I struggle to understand why he feels the need to start talking about this now.

24. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Only thought re the latter point is that it's been 10 years since G&H bought the club, so maybe the Echo approached Broughton because of that? He never sought publicity even while he was here, so I can't imagine he's decided to come forward with this.

25. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hate discussions like this as it is insulting to a man who did the best he could in bad circumstances at the club for our best interests.

Personally will not blame Rafa at all for leaving when he did. He'd lost support of large part of his squad. Large part of his fans. Some of his coaching staff had left because of the politics. He was putting more and more energy into fighting the owners and Parry then Purslow and he was probably getting mentally broken by it.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge the Inter job was lined up before any decisions were made for him leaving?

Also think Broughton has shot himself in the foot over this. A Chelsea fan with no geographical links to us actually put his arse on the line for us in an attempt to do the right thing. Some of the financial entities circling us back then proved to be the second coming of Dumb and Dumber or worse. He got us decent if unspectacular owners financially crippling the crooks in the process and put his own neck on the block to do so. We should actually have nothing but nice things to say about the guy but look at the posts in this thread?

The messenger who brings unpleasant news always faces the anger first.

26. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

Sadly the echo has become as bad as any of the tabloids.I can foresee more tacky articles as they try to entice paid content.

Will we ever know the full truth? Probably not. But I remember the events of the time, accounts of players and others close to the club, to know Rafa was for all intents and purposes sacked.

lfc.eddie, redbj, Kanonkop and 3 others like this.
  27. Makati Red

The bit in bold is not true if you believe the article and will be the truth until Rafa says anything different. You could argue however it was certainly constructive dissmissal

28. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

The last legal action came to an end not that long ago, and I expect he simply wants to be clear that he did not want Rafa to go. I take him at his word in that regard. I don't see all the narratives as impossible to reconcile. By the time Broughton arrived, Rafa had been in a situation verging on constructive dismissal for nearly six months, felt he was being actively undermined. The new Chair comes in, they clearly don't quit hit the same wavelength, and Broughton doesn't quite realize how fast the situation is deteriorating, or appreciate the accumulation of circumstance. Broughton probably now realizes the only way that Rafa would have stayed was if that first pair of meetings had resulted in Broughton giving Rafa everything he wanted, which both didn't happen and probably could not have, given who Broughton was really appointed to represent.

It is fairly notable that Benitez does not have much to say about Broughton in his narrative - but doesn't appear to have any resentment. Broughton arrived after the story had played out, as the man charged with getting the club sold for the bank. That wasn't enough to talk Rafa off the ledge, but that wasn't really Broughton's fault.

29. Makati Red

30. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

What was more interesting there is the statement by Broughton that from the very beginning, the intent was to stay in Anfield, and that Broughton found that appealing. It has been stated that somehow Broughton had been given assurances that a new stadium build would happen, when that does not appear to be the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.