The African Footballer of the Year (CAF) Award

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Dortmund fan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

2. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

3. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Aubemeyang is the clear winner, surely.

4. Dortmund fan

Last 4 years Toure won the award 4 times.

African people know Premier League much better than Bundesliga.

It's not easy for someone from Bundesliga to win the award even if he made 18 goals in 17 games and has a great season.

5. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I want P-EA to win it this year, however I also want him to sign for us, so I'm happy for Yaya to take it and P-EA's price tag not to be inflated by success here.

6. Dortmund fan

:-) The ex Klopp player has a chance to win, some media wrote.

Aubameyang deserves african footballer of the year award

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang should beat Yaya Toure and Dede Ayew to this year's African Footballer of the Year award, according to Goal readers.

With the Glo/Caf award ceremony set to hold on Thursday evening, we asked you to select your preferred winner and the outcome was a resounding victory for the Gabonese international.

Aubameyang has been in sensational goalscoring form all year long for Borussia Dortmund, and they are second on the Bundesliga log. The forward received over 80% per cent of the total votes cast.

Cote d’Ivoire and Manchester City ace Yaya Toure , who is eyeing a fifth crown is rated as a massive underdog to retain his title, just ahead of Ghana’s Dede Ayew.

Our poll result merely reinforces the widely held view that Aubameyang is the clear favourite for this year's prize, which will be presented at a special ceremony in Abuja, Nigeria tonight.

However, as a four-time winner, Yaya cannot be discounted, while there has been a groundswell of support for Ayew, who has been impressive for Ghana and Swansea in the year under review.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4065...ved=0ahUKEwihrbSynJjKAhXEW44KHdxsCV8Q_AUIBygB

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  7. Dortmund fan

Which tv channels are showing it today?

8. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Either AIT or Supersports should carry it live and the Central African Time is the same as Berlin/CET time, so it will broadcast live from 9 p.m. tonight (8 p.m UK).

I would expect PEA to ace it though. Just two other contenders aka Yaya and Ayew and although Ivory Coast won ACON, Yaya wasn't especially dominant and nor was City last term, while Ayew did get Ghana to go far in the tournament ...but it's just gotta be PEA here. Just a revelation for BVB this term and pretty fantastic and very deadly too under Tuchel, for you guys. Yet another ex-Mainz guy too, like Klopp as well.

Should be a nice enough spectacle of music and maybe otherwise your run-of-the-mill awards ceremony stuff. Nothing especially to make me want to watch it myself, but I would guess that if one of our own players was in the running then it might be different. Any-ways an hour 15 to go.

9. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

And he won it. Congrats to the lad.

Ayre, get on that Harely and drop a few mil on him and Subotic please

10. Dortmund fan

:-) Woooooooooooooooooow

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang wins African Footballer of the Year

Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was named African Footballer of the Year on Thursday, narrowly edging out Yaya Toure at the Confederation of African Football award ceremony.

The prolific Borussia Dortmund forward, who received 143 votes to four-time winner Toure's 136, is the first player from the central African country to win the award.

His accolade comes despite a year without trophy success. He was captain of the Gabon team eliminated in the first round of the African Nations Cup finals in Equatorial Guinea at the start of 2015 and his club finished seventh in the Bundesliga last season.

But he did score 29 Bundesliga goals in 2015, including 18 this season plus a further seven in the Europa League. He is the first Bundesliga-based player to win the annual award first introduced in 1970.“

His potency in front of goal has seen him become one of the most recognisable strikers in Europe this season,” said his citation.

“I thank the people of Gabon, this award is for them. I want to thank my team mates in the national team and also at Dortmund. It is their work that helps me to score goals. For the parents of the youth of Africa, please give your kids a chance to realise their dreams,” Aubameyang said in his acceptance speech.

The 26-year-old is the second player born in Europe to win the award after Frederic Kanoute, the Parisian-born Mali international.

Aubameyang’s father was captain of Gabon and played professionally in France. His mother is Spanish, he was born in France but raised in Italy.

The African Footballer of the Year is decided by a vote of coaches or technical directors of all Africa's national teams.

Toure had won the award for an unprecedented four years in succession from 2011-2015 and was the favourite for a fifth after captaining Ivory Coast to the African Nations Cup title.

Ghana international Dede Ayew, who left Olympique Marseille in France for Swansea City in mid-year, was third with 112 votes. His father Abedi Pele won the award three times from 1991 to 1993.

http://m.ibnlive.com/footballnext/n...s-african-footballer-of-the-year-1186890.html

[​IMG]

11. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Yaya Toure: Award decision brings 'shame on Africa'

Yaya Toure has expressed his anger and frustration after missing out of the African Footballer of the Year award.

The Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfielder was beaten by Borussia Dortmund's Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in the annual vote of national coaches from Confederation of African Football countries.

Toure, who was vying to win the award for a fifth successive year, was complimentary towards Aubameyang but appeared to think his achievement as the African Nations Cup-winning captain was not sufficiently recognised.

The 32-year-old told radio station RFI: "I am very, very disappointed. It's sad to see Africa react like this, not giving any importance to African (competitions).

"I think it brings shame on Africa. It is indecent. What can we do?

"We, Africans, we do not show that Africa is important in our eyes. We prioritise external achievements over our own continent. It is lamentable."

Toure made his comments after the awards ceremony in Nigeria. He finished runner-up with 136 voting points to Aubameyang's 143.

Aubameyang scored 41 goals and made 11 assists for club and country during 2015, including 18 strikes in 17 Bundesliga games this season.

Toure earlier said: "I'm quite disappointed, but I don't want to complain too much.

"I just want to give credit to Aubameyang - you've been doing brilliantly well this year."

Aubameyang, 26, wrote on Instagram: "Thanks to my Father and Mother thanks to my son and his Mom thanks to my family to my friends to my teammates @bvb09 and from Gabon national team thanks to my fans and thanks God and everybody."

Swansea and Ghana forward Andre Ayew finished third in the poll with 112 points.

DEVGRU likes this.
  12. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Sounds like someone needs another birthday cake. Any bakers on here?

DEVGRU likes this.
  13. Dortmund fan

Aubameyang scored 41 goals and made 11 assists in 2015.

He is really great.

14. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

State of Yaya Toure...the bloke sounds absolutely mental.

DEVGRU and GreenRedGreen like this.
  15. GreenRedGreen

GreenRedGreen Well-Known Member

Yaya sounds like a proper head-case/spoiled child.

Words fail me tbh.

'Toure earlier said: "I'm quite disappointed, but I don't want to complain too much.'

This is my favourite bit... It wouldn't be possible to complain more than he did. Insane person..explains a lot of City's difficulties with under achieving if he's needing to be placated all the time. He must be a disaster in the dressing room.

16. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Yaya Touré has won this award at least four times. He won it last year. Someone else should have a chance if he is worthy enough. Honestly!

Just wondering, any chance of persuading Aubameyang to come to LFC?

DEVGRU likes this.
  17. GreenRedGreen

GreenRedGreen Well-Known Member

It's possible that Yaya's agent is as mental as he is. Back with the birthday stuff, and terrified of Pep coming in and making him work... It's genuinely funny.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2016/0110/758993-toures-agent/

"There are a number of things that have happened that have left Yaya feeling bitterly upset. City have treated him with disrespect and have really hurt him."

"What happened at his birthday meant the club don’t care about him. It was proof. They can say whatever they want, ‘Oh we like him, but we forgot."

"None of them shook his hand on his birthday. It’s really sick.”

DEVGRU likes this.
  18. Dortmund fan

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang rules out Arsenal,
    Dortmund not planning sales

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has ruled out leaving Borussia Dortmund for Arsenal as the club announced that there were no plans for any more January sales.

There has recently been renewed speculation that Arsenal are planning a move for Gabon international Aubameyang, who has scored 18 Bundesliga goals this season and was named Africa's Footballer of the Year on Thursday.

Aubameyang -- who previously expressed a desire to play in La Liga in the future -- said he had no plans for an imminent departure.

"Let me say this first: I am not going to Arsenal," he told ESPN FC's Colin Udoh at the CAF award ceremony in Nigeria. "Dortmund is my club and I am not leaving soon."

Aubameyang edged out four-time winner Yaya Toure and Ghana forward Andre Ayew to win the Footballer of the Year award and broke down in tears

"I am not usually an emotional person but to win this award, with players like Yaya and Dede [Ayew], is an important moment for me," he added. "I don't usually cry, but this has made me cry."

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2782230/pierre-emerick-aubameyang-vows-to-stay-at-dortmund

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  19. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

They suit one another bit like Raheem and Aidy Ward

DEVGRU and GreenRedGreen like this.
  20. Dortmund fan

Now I know why Yaya is angry.
    He needed the award very much to still be expensive player.
    Today I readed a rumour in german press that if Gualdiola will start to work in Manchester Yaya must leave the club.

21. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

The time has come for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to leave Dortmund and join...bayern munich..the kings of bavaria.

22. Dortmund fan

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: ‘I don’t know why Yaya Touré was so angry’

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has said he is nonplussed as to why Yaya Touré was so angry about the Borussia Dortmund player being voted the Africa player of the year last week. Touré hit out at the decision, saying it was “pathetic”, “indecent” and brought “shame to Africa”.

Aubameyang “I really don’t know why he said that at all. I am not going to get angry about it and for me it is already an old story, gone. It simply does not interest me.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ick-aubameyang-yaya-toure-african-player-year

[​IMG]

23. DEVGRU

It is time for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to join Manchester United or Arsenal where he will be rich, famous and world class.

24. Dortmund fan

He IS rich, world class and famous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  25. DEVGRU

Can you direct him to a professional stylist please? Those green basketball shoes are an eye sore...

26. Dortmund fan

27. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Yaya is a complete knobhead. Not all his fault though, Kolo had already used up all the cool genes.

28. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Is this really what it all the profit hunting comes down too. Big Companies handing over their earnings to one single person (a knobhead in this case as ILLOK perfectly puts it). Profit they likely bleed out of their many thousands of employers year after year. All for this?? If this is not what's wrong with the world today I dunno what is. They could probably feed all the syrian refugees easy if they even cared one bit. Disgusting really... Rant off.

29. Dortmund fan

Usually Aubameyang makes somersault after his goals.

Would that be a great idea for Sturridge? The fans will love it for sure.

[​IMG]

30. DEVGRU

And then he accidently slips, and lands on his head and has a major slip disc in his neck and is out of action for the next 6 months to a year or worse still, has a major spinal injury because he was being stupid.

I hope Man Utd buy him.