The Everton Thread

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Shabby Along so, May 8, 2013.

?

Who replaces Bob Martin?

1. Frank De Boer

2. Ronald Koeman

3. Michael Laudrup

4. David Moyes

5. Roberto Di Matteo

6. Manuel Pellegrini

7. Mark Hughes

8. Rafa Benitez

9. Brendan Rodgers

10. One of the Nevilles, likely Phil

11. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shabby Along so

Shabby Along so Twitter: @RedFromNZ

The Everton Thread

UPDATE: Moyes Confirmed United Manager, Everton begin Search for Replacement

So who's going to take over Everton?

[​IMG]

I've seen some blues suggesting Roberto Di Matteo will. That'd be interesting.

Other candidates can be found in the poll.

Will Everton miss Moyes? Or will they finally start winning derbies and playing attacking football?

--

Feel free to use this thread to discuss all things bitter & blue, not just their managerial vacancy.

2. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

You spelt Everton wrong

lfc.eddie likes this.
  3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I think Martinez will be one of the favourites, particularly if Wigan go down.

WellRedKev likes this.
  4. Shabby Along so

Did I? ;-)

5. Shabby Along so

I agree.

It's interesting that Martinez gets such a good wrap despite never achieving anything significant (Cup final this season aside). In that way, he and Moyes are similar. They're both viewed as 'overachievers' for their budgets/squads.

At the very least Martinez would improve their football from a viewing standpoint. Part of what Moyes does well is makes his teams hard to break down though, and Everton's 'success', if you can call it that, is predicated on a lot of draws in the league. They'll in all likelihood be much more porous at the back under someone like Martinez.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  6. RedLaw

RedLaw JFT96

You forgot the full stop.

Dane likes this.
  7. Matt

Matt Poor Scouser Tommy Admin

Go on, Neil Lennon, I dare ya!

8. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Laudrup has also been linked but I cannot see any legs in that one. Neil Lennon is going to be an absolute delight if he comes down here. Already one of the most insufferable managers around.

9. El Cuchillero

El Cuchillero Més que un pedantic shit.

Isn't Rafa looking for a job close to home?

10. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Incredibly, Mark Hughes has also been linked with Everton. I can't see that happening. Bill Kenwright's not that much of a fool, is he?

11. batt_red

batt_red TIA Reserve Team

Why is no one mentioning uncle Roy for the job?

12. WellRedKev

WellRedKev TIA Reserve Team

I think its between Neil lennon and Roberto Martinez.

Lennon has done all he can for Celtic in a league that breeds more hatred than compeition. Martinez could go down with Wigan but even if he doesnt he may think that its time to cut his teeth with a different project. Seeing everton try and stick to pass and move for a whole season would be interesting!

Could see them suffering next season - Baines, Fellani Moyes and others all tipped to be gone.

sure he will be with england till the World Cup no?

Yeah i think its just throw any name into the hat with this one, surely his rep has been tarnished and maybe he needs to drop down a division and learn his trade. fair play to Steve Bruce on that.

13. gasband

gasband The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign

It will be Phil Nevile. Or Dean Saunders after he narrowly lose out to Moyes for the Man U job.

14. Shabby Along so

Oddly, I think Roy would be good for them. Suits their hoofball mentality and lack of attacking intent.

15. AnfieldCat

AnfieldCat TIA Squad Member

That was mentioned on Talksport this morning, would be hideous for him to go there, Chelsea was bad enough,.

16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I just can't see Rafa being interested in Everton, tbh. I wasn't thrilled about him going to Chelsea, but in the context of it being for a few months, a competitive club (I can't bring myself to call them a big club) and the chance to put himself in the shop window for something better, I could understand it.

But for someone who wants to be part of the Euro elite, I just can't see why Rafa would go to Goodison.

17. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

It will be someone with PL experience.

Can't see them getting Laudraup. He's heading in the right direction with the Swans. It'll be Martinez or O'neil. Lennon's not a bad shout.

18. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Martin O'Neil? He surely would have been a favourite five years ago. Roberto Martinez could be an option but he would completely transform the side, which isn't something that Everton would be able to afford, unless results go really, really well. Neil Lennon is also an option.

However, if I was the chairman, I'd move heaven and earth to get Steve Clarke. Their side is on paper much better than WBA's and he could have a huge effect there, coupled with a few decent signings.

19. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I think Martinez would be perfect. Similar relationship with the owner, moves to a bigger club with not a lot of money (sell Fellaini par example and get some cash in) but still enough to create a good side that can play in a certain way. Would make the derby much more interesting from a tactical point of view than it's been with Moyes.

Prolix and fcukManU like this.
  20. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Yes Steve clarke would be great for bitters. But why will Clarke consider a move to them. He is just behind us on the table, with a couple of decent signings and bitters crashing down hard, he can even get Brom into an Europa spot next season.

21. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Anyone mention Slaven Bilic? I would have thought his name would be up there.

22. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Good shout, haven't thought about that. Sure there are more I can't think of now. But still think a mid-top 7-table PL club would take some risk considering his (in)experience at club level. He still needs to prove himself at that level despite doing very good things with the national team. Not having an easy time in Russia with Lokomotiv although the expectations there from the board vs the power of a few other top clubs are probably the main problem. But he obviously has links with Everton and often visited the place to spend time with Moyes so could be one of the candidates the media will miss to mention.

23. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Lots of rumours that PNeville is headed to OT with Moyes to join the staff

Zoran likes this.
  24. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Looks like they've been paying attention:

JFT96 ‏@DebiMcMillan963m
    “@Ceticfc:Celtic confirm that Everton has been in contact for the managerial position with Neil Lennon. The talks are on going

RazvanLFC and Shabby Along so like this.
  25. WellRedKev

if Rubber-toe Martinez gets the nod, que James McCarthy joining him.

Forgive the underline

26. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

The fact that Martinez was so close for our job will be enough for them to give him the gig. Then again I predicted Mourinho for Manure so what would I know.

Surely Rafa couldnt stoop so low to a battling club

27. RedLaw

RedLaw JFT96

Can't see Rafa taking it. They've got no where near the amount of resources he'd want, plus he said it himself, they're a small club.

Think they'll go for Lennon.

liveforthereds likes this.
  28. WellRedKev

Lennon would be a better fit than Martinez, in terms of stability and not looking to drastically change the playing style. They are the two frontrunners i'm thinking! Martin O"Neill's reputation is not what it was and rightly so. Many fans called for his appointment post Rafa, jokers.

29. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

30. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

Even Rafa is not the dart, plus the bitters don't have the money to pay him so forget it, its just the press trying to pull our chain