The Everton Thread

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Shabby Along so, May 8, 2013.

?

Who replaces Bob Martin?

1. Frank De Boer

2. Ronald Koeman

3. Michael Laudrup

4. David Moyes

5. Roberto Di Matteo

6. Manuel Pellegrini

7. Mark Hughes

8. Rafa Benitez

9. Brendan Rodgers

10. One of the Nevilles, likely Phil

11. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

2. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

I assume that was the warning sign. They better enjoy their place in the league because the only way is down from now on... Look forward to passing them on the way !

3. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Nah it shows that once you scratch the surface of their first 11 they struggle. It's like Leicester in a way last season if they had got an injury say to Kante or Mahrez or even Huth they would have probably failed to win it. If Everton keep everyone fit then who knows though I'm still hoping it's the weaker opposition rather than anything more that has shown the good start.

4. NIDINGR

NIDINGR Death by heavy metal.

Moshiri, Kenwrong and Fat Joe were down the docks looking at a potential new site for a ground. Hopefully they build one there and it collapses into the Mersey. That's one Big Dunk i would be happy to see.

Nevoo34 likes this.
  5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

inaiq and Wyld@Heart like this.
  6. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Ronald Koeman is now one of my favourite comedians.

7. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

That is terrible. ACL is bad enough, they reckon there's more. In short career, I feel for players taking a year out. For someone more reliant on speed in his game, like Bolosie, it could make a difference to his comeback. Very sad indeed. Even though ACL can take 6-9 months to establish again, there's a fitness, conditioning and psychological aspects of returning to regular games.

inaiq likes this.
  8. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

We put up a new stand to seat an additional 8,500 and they put up a few neon letters at their 'modern' end. Bang goes Koeman's budget for the next transfer window.

I was going to say they're small beer around these parts, maybe small bitter would be more appropriate.

upload_2016-12-10_11-19-52.png

inaiq likes this.
  9. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Hahaha take that ya dirty c....

10. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

The one thing I don't get about this team and its supporters. I have a couple of bitters as friends as well, and I been asking them this but they just can't give me a straight answer. I asked if they would rather see us winning the league or Man United, they would gladly take Man United between us two. But for most Liverpool fans I know they would go with the Toffees, and mind you a couple of those are actually born and bred Liverpudlians.

There's a reason why they are known as bitters, and that is the clearest evidence to show why.

11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

It's a very split fan base, as I said growing up I knew plenty who spat out Liverpool's name and it was there cup finals every season.

They hadn't even grown up with a tradition in their family, odd thing is the ones who I knew had were always more tolerable than the ones who had just picked Everton, same with Man Utd in a way.

I dislike certain teams, but never label supporters as "scum" but plenty will.

I know how much us beating them at Goodison hurts them when it's a mid table match, so when it actually matters for us it makes it far sweeter.

12. Strictly Armchair

When I was reading the Klopp interview in the original L'pool Echo article, I noticed the below link on the r-h side of the page. Glad I clicked on it really. It gave me a good chuckle. I'll make sure I give any bitters a condescending pat on the head for the New Year (while taking care that I don't get my fingers bitten off)
    Rivals? They're just a noisy rabble down the street.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-view-gwladys-street-i-12378889#rlabs=1 rt$sitewide p$9

Talking about Lukaku - Just consider his current scoring rate for Everton at the age of 23 - 0.49 goals per game, that compares with some of our recent greats, Latchford (0.47), Royle (0.43), Cottee (0.41) and Sharp (0.36).
    Haha. I can't even remember Royle playing for them it's so long ago (he was playing for Bristol City in my earliest memories). Latchford was a late 70s player IIRC while Cottee's and Sharp's days were done by about '93-'94. Recent greats lol it's enough to make a dog laugh. Oh, you wacky blues, always cheering us up. I suppose recent greats is a category which is as busy as recent trophy wins.
    In fairness Lukaku's goals to games ratio is quite impressive, considering he's playing for an average team. I suppose you could compare it to John Aldridge's record when was playing for Oxford United.

Regarding the purchase of a central defender - Van Dijk has a great relationship not only with Koeman but his family, he’d be a tremendous acquisition both as a player but also as a statement if we could beat off the inevitable interest from Champions League level clubs.
    Oh brilliant. I was laughing at this for a good five minutes. They might get Dick van Dijk but definitely not Virgil. I doubt we'd get him if Klopp went after him so the bitters have got no chance. Biggest IF I have seen in some time. Dream on sunshine.

With regards to the site for a new stadium - I can’t think of a better statement in terms of the direction of the club that for the board to announce the agreement in principle (subject to planning permission) of the acquisition of the Bramley Moore dock site.
    Good luck with that. For those of you who don't know the local area too well, put co-ordinates 53.424587, -2.999978 into Google Maps (should you be sufficiently interested) and that will drop you on to the road just outside the proposed development site.
    Regent Road is a nightmare with the usual daily traffic so as for getting 50 to 60,000 people in and out of there and meet all current / future H&S legislation ... As I say, the best of luck with that. That will be a monumental infrastructure project. There's so much to be done in the way of roadworks, traffic management, impact on surrounding businesses, possible park & ride schemes, expansion of Sandhills station, etc. A whole multitude of issues to be resolved. Wouldn't be surprised to see that one get called in by the government of the day. It'll take so long to come to fruition, it it ever does (see the King's Dock and Kirkby failed projects), a number of us on here probably won't be around to see it.

Then he starts banging on about how they are the senior club in the City of Liverpool. The older club, yes obviously. That's the only thing which makes them senior. Not though in terms of ground size, support base, standing in the game, trophies won. Whichever criteria you wish to apply really.

As the senior club in the City of Liverpool
    However we’ve always believed that not only are we the senior club in the city, we are one of the greatest club teams in the history of the game.

This is a club which has won one European trophy fewer than Nottingham Forest. Believe what you will if you tell yourself something often enough. You can have invisible men in the sky running everything if you like or that there is a platform 9¾ at Lime Street Station. Doesn't make it true though.

I want it done the Everton way, with a certain class and dignity, a recognition of our past, and most importantly retaining our roots in and our support of our community.
    Certain class and dignity eh? Let's not even go there after the last match at the temple of doom. The School of Science closed its doors several decades ago. As for talking about retaining roots in their community while in the same breath talking about moving to Bramley Moore Dock, cognitive dissonance at all?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum is not just a motto, it should be the manner in which everything that has the Everton name attached to it should be done.
    Pity about the past three decades then. No wonder they dropped the motto from the badge a couple of years ago.
    Small club, small beer.

geebo, inaiq, lfc.eddie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

There will always be a need for Everton fans...they keep the Samaritans in business.

14. Strictly Armchair

Oh well, time for them to concentrate on winning that battle for 7th place now that Leicester have done the dastardly deed and dumped them out of the F.A. Cup.

This fine effort by our lads (congrats to whoever sorted that one out) will be out of date come the end of the season. Wonder if the lads will keep doing updates year after year, just to be trotted out at derby matches?

upload_2017-1-7_22-3-37.png

15. Bonus

Bonus TIA New Signing

Some Everton fans are an embarrassment......

in my opinion!

and I will tell you why in the morning....

when i sober up!

Raging so I am at the mo.....

16. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Quite the meltdown by Koeman over Everton's transfer dealings. You really have to wonder how stable his position there is, one way or another.

17. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Well go on then!

18. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I would say Walsh is not a guy to be picking a fight with. Not because Walsh is a fighter, but because when the chips are down and Everton need to pick a side they are going to side with Walsh over a manager.

19. lfc.eddie

Don't know mate, it depends very highly on who is closer to Moshiri, from what I gathered or been told, Koeman has this new owner as his ally. Besides Walsh is the Director of Football, should be held accountable for the players brought in if they didn't work out well.

20. Arminius

Was walking the beast this morning, catching up on The Anfield Wrap, and listened to The Rivals:Everton podcast - discussion of the rivalry in the 80's. Does anyone happen to know any good books either about that period in the league, that rivalry, or even that Kendall team?

21. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

The rivalry was intense both clubs leading the way in honours. Waterstones in Liverpool 1 have loads of books on the subject.

22. Arminius

Given my location ~5200 km from that Waterstones, browsing presents some difficulties. Even ordering online when I know a given title can be challenging, because a lot of football books are published basically only for the UK market. I ended up getting a used copy of Reade's Epic Swindle on Amazon, oddly stamped as property of the Bristol public library.

23. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

I am due to go to town over the weekend. I will pop in and have a look for you. I will get the titles of the books.

If you then have difficulty finding them on line let me know

Arminius likes this.
  24. Wyld@Heart

25. lfc.eddie

26. Wyld@Heart

Apparently so. What was interesting to me in that article was that the City council would act as a guarantor for securing funding. I found that a bit strange tbh

27. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

Hardly suprising as Joe Anderson is a lifefong bluenose.

28. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Coleman not only out of the derby but likely the year after a horror challenge playing for Ireland against Wales. Looked an awful lot like a broken leg.

29. Sionach

Sionach Resident Athiest

Not good for Everton or Ireland.

Hopefully Seamus gets the best treatment. Would not like to think it's career ending.

30. lfc.eddie

Niel Taylor had always been one fucking careless and reckless tackler in the game. Tibia snapped and Shane Long had to hold on to that leg. Crazy scene.... Hope that doesn't fuck up his career.