The Everton Thread

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Shabby Along so, May 8, 2013.

?

Who replaces Bob Martin?

1. Frank De Boer

2. Ronald Koeman

3. Michael Laudrup

4. David Moyes

5. Roberto Di Matteo

6. Manuel Pellegrini

7. Mark Hughes

8. Rafa Benitez

9. Brendan Rodgers

10. One of the Nevilles, likely Phil

11. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

In probably the most predictable transfer news we'll hear this summer, Pickford is set to join Everton for 17 million pounds. I thought this might happen, as well as Sigurdsson transfer.

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

£17m... he's got certain promise, but that's not a bad sum for Sunderland, considering they're a Championship club now and Pickford's had, what, a season or two at this level. Of course Everton are now trying to pick up everything they can from the stuff that the other big boys aren't really ready to pay (similar with Gylfi, he can play for these sides, as he showed at Spurs, but I doubt some of them would actually invest).

redfanman likes this.
  3. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I predicted they would raid a few relegation candidates, or, broadly speaking, lower half table teams for certain players (timing seems right, these clubs have a few players of the type Everton need this summer and who fit Koeman's ethos, there will be money available, especially following the departure of Lukaku, Gueye was a massive success from a relegated side), Pickford and Sigurdsson sound too logical. Incidentally, if Liverpool were now in situation they were in some five seasons ago, I would certainly tout the two to move to Anfield. :-)

I imagine Keane or Maguire might be targeted, too, as long term replacements for Jagielka. I thought of a centre forward they might target, too, but I can't remember him now for the life of me... Both Lukaku and Kone are off, so they will need two, I guess. Koeman probably likes Dolberg a lot but I think that someone like Joshua King is far more realistic for them and if he keeps up his 2017 form, he'll be an ideal signing for them. I think that they will be able to assemble their strongest squad in past decade or two, at least on paper. They might be pretty interesting to watch the next season, not necessarily pretty but compact and effective.

redfanman likes this.
  4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

They are going to be hard to beat if they keep building their defence, but they will also find it hard to find a goal when Lukaku changes his badge (not colour, probably wearing the same colour).

Livvy likes this.
  5. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

I know that Sunderlad is going down and he has to stay in the PL...but everton seems to show a lack of ambition from Pickford.

The way he developed (despite his injury) gave the impression clubs like LFC or spurs might have been in reach.

6. lfc.eddie

Maybe the clubs like ours and Spurs know something we all fans don't about this fella?

7. RaoulDuke

Like what?
    That karius will be world class?
    And spurs might believe lloris is world class.

8. lfc.eddie

You are saying Pickford is world class then?

9. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Lukaku seems to have this inverse relationship between actual effectiveness and attention paid to him. He has these phases of the season where he looks like the best power forward in the league, and then as the media buzz and rumours of moving to a bigger club build, Lukaku disappears.

RaoulDuke, Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  10. RaoulDuke

No.
    But isn't that what the mentioned clubs should aspire to?
    I guess Klopp initially thought Karius has the potential, that's why he might have him stick around. Because it still might happen.

But it's hard to say Lloris is or will be in the future.

11. lfc.eddie

Spending £17m for a back up keeper that isn't world class is what clubs should aspire to do? Or because there is other reason behind why you felt Spurs and Liverpool should be looking at Pickford?

Scott Jones likes this.
  12. RaoulDuke

I wrote he should have higher ambitions and that those clubs should look for world class players.
    Didn't say he is world class yet.

And like I wrote, the verdict is still out on Karius (although many fans loved to bury him).

Pickford seems to have the potential to become world class sooner than later. Nothing (except his injury this season) points in the opposite direction.

Pickford won't go anywhere as back up keeper.
    And to be honest, I doubt he would be back up to migs and Lloris (who is decent, but not much more. Being 30 also means he won't develop much further).

Yes, of course there is a reason.
    If the guy becomes the first top english GK since maybe seaman (in his prime) I'd love to see him in LFC red.

13. lfc.eddie

Didn't we have Clemence tending our goal? Wasn't he a top English goalkeeper? Pickford won't be the first then, would he? Besides, would it be bad if he's a top German goalkeeper like Kahn?

14. RaoulDuke

What are you talking about?

Ray Clemece was 1-2 footballer generations before David Seaman.
    The only thing I wrote was that Pickford (and maybe Butland) could be the first top english GK since Seaman.

And no, it wouldn't be bad if Karius could reach Kahn's level. Was I one of those who regularly buried Karius when Klopp gave him a chance?
    Although I didn't like Kahn's attitude as a player, Karius wouldn't have to emulate that. Ollie is a funny pundit on TV, though.

15. lfc.eddie

Pedantic on my part, but Pickford would not be the first top English goalkeeper since Seaman because I don't even rate Seaman that highly.

16. RaoulDuke

Then Shielton maybe? At least one year (or something) Clemence's junior.
    Jesus, sometimes communicating with you is like pulling teeth :tongue:

Seaman was no Kahn or Buffon, but still world class in his prime (in my opinion).

17. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I think Pickford to Everton is a perfect move for both, more or less. I say that because while promising there's no chance he goes to any of the teams above Everton and is immediate first-choice like he will be there. For him, Everton are the sort of club he can push on and develop at, while leaving open the possibility of moving on in a few years' time if he's been a success. Ask Lukaku whether it's harmed his career.

Also, the fee Sunderland are asking (£17m) is, I would suggest, not one that any of the current top six clubs would pay for a backup keeper. Seems like a sensible move for all parties.

18. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Active Member

all you have to do is mention brazil or zaragoza where referring to spunky and how good he was. Getting beaten from the halfway once is bad but twice. ..

lfc.eddie likes this.
  19. lfc.eddie

That is exactly my argument on Pickford, to pay £17m for him would mean him as a starter ahead of whoever they have today. Spurs won't go buying him to replace Lloris, the French first choice to a junior English keeper? Unless there is an offer of £30m for Lloris, I don't see them buying Pickford. We won't go for him unless we have already addressed all the issues everywhere else on the pitch. @RaoulDuke thinks he is worth the punt because of his potential, I say we also have someone with the same potential. So why waste that kind of money, unless Pickford is already a world class player to replace both our keepers.

20. RaoulDuke

@lfc.eddie

You are jumping to conclusions.
    I did not write the things you assume I think or say.

I did write the verdict is still out on Karius and that I did not bury him.
    That Klopp wants to keep him because he still might believe Karius can become a top GK.

The only things I really said were that Pickford could be good enough to be more than a back up for Migs and even Lloris next season.

I did not write we should pay 17 millions for him I guess.

We should leave it at that.

And focus on the southampton game.

21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

He has also only had one good season and I'm still not sold on his ability in the air or on crosses, then again I'm saying that solely on one performance at Anfield I watched him play.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  22. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I'm surprised - had expected them to go for Hart lol

Scott Jones likes this.
  23. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

How tall is Pickford? I thought there was some concern he may not be tall enough to play for the top sides?

24. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

6'0 or 6'1 according to the interwebs. Not overly big, no. I'd be wary about signing him anyway, a decent season for a terrible side does not a top keeper make, we've seen many of that type of keeper in the history of the premier league who aren't capable of the step up.

Probably an improvement for Everton though, it makes sense for them.

25. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

We didn't end up needing them to do us a favor, but fuck these shits. They're absolutely horrific. 3-1 loss against 10 men? What a joke.

Garbage team.

Anfield rd Dreamer and ILLOK like this.
  26. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

They are terrible. Had a good period just after the turn of the year but apart from that they're firmly a "bottom 14" club.

Be interesting to see what they can do to replace Lukaku - my guess would be it'll be a tougher year for them next season.

27. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

That defending was worse than the defending you see down the park on a Sunday afternoon kickabout.

And Koeman was lying, they set them out to perform like that and we all know why sadly.

28. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

that's how we ended up with Migs wasn't it?

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  29. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Yep been saying this on whether or not to loan Ward out to a lower premier league side. Learn a whole different set of experiences depending on if you're scrabbling under constant attacks at the bottom of the table, free from expectations or pressure hovering in mid table or competing for places and honours towards top of the table, keeping concentration and quality high for the few actions you are required for during a match your team usually controls.