The Geoff Twentyman Thread [2016-17]

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Kopstar, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

The Geoff Twentyman Thread

[​IMG]
    "If hindsight is the cheapest commodity in football,
    then foresight is the most valuable"​

It's the job every supporter wants and thinks they would be great at.

Geoff Twentyman was head scout at Liverpool between 1967 and 1986...Brian Clough always rated his right-hand man, Peter Taylor, as the game's best judge of a player, but plenty at Anfield would dispute that.

With Twentyman in charge of their scouting network, Liverpool unearthed the likes of Keegan, Phil Neal and John Toshack playing lower league football. Others ( David Fairclough, Steve Heighway ) were plucked from junior or amateur sides, whilst a raft of players were brought down from Scotland, among them Alan Hansen and Steve Nicol.

There were six Twentyman recommendations (Keegan, Heighway, Neal, Terry McDermott, Ray Clemence and Joey Jones) in the Reds' first European Cup winning side in 1977.

It's part of football that we all fancy ourselves as pundits. If we've seen a player a few times or scouted him on you tube we feel equipped to determine not only how good he might be but his specific strengths and weaknesses and whether he'd be a good/shit signing for us.

12 months down the line and there come the bragging rights. At least they would if anyone could actually remember what you said about him. Sure, you claim to have identified Lozar Tekez as the guy to really push on and do well with us this year and that Downing was always bog average and likely to fail for us but apart from vaguely remembering a list with 50 players on the reasons why have been lost in the ether. Nobody can remember what it was about him that caused you to say they were more likely to set the world on fire than their own bathroom.

It's time to firmly nail your colours to the mast so we can revisit it in 12 months' time.

This thread will remain open until 2pm on Saturday 10 September 2016 after which time it will be locked.

It will close before the round of Premier League fixtures that follows the international break. Pointless fucking distraction so soon into the season it may be but it will give you a couple of weeks to finalise your thoughts after which time that's it: no chance to revise your judgment.

When giving your opinion end your summary with either HIT or MISS. No sitting on the fence.

This is NOT a discussion thread. ONE post per forumite that you can then amend as you wish up until the deadline.

At the end of the season we will review and a collective assessment will be made as to whether a player was a hit, a miss, or whether the jury's still out. Will you be Twentyman or Souness? Good luck!

Our signings then, in order that they arrived (please provide your assessments in the same order):

[​IMG]
    Marko Grujic

Signed on 6 January but immediately loaned back to Red Star Belgrade, he is included as Klopp's first signing and first arrival this summer. "Despite his tender years, Grujic has evidenced an ability to control matches with his physical presence and dictate play during an incredible start to the 2015-16 campaign."

[​IMG]
    Joel Matip

Another summer arrival that was already agreed. "The 24 year old enjoys defending on the front foot and never shies away from a tackle or battling with an attacker when needed. From his experiences in midfield, Matip is also comfortable and composed with the ball at his feet. At 6'4", blessed with pace and athleticism, Matip has the potential to become an all-purpose component in Jürgen Klopp's side."

[​IMG]
    Loris Karius

"Kicker magazine survey saw 235 Bundesliga players vote Karius as the second-best goalkeeper in the division [last season], behind only Manuel Neuer with 13.6 per cent of the total."

[​IMG]
    Sadio Mane

Signed on 28 June from Southampton, "Mane bagged 15 goals and nine assists over 43 appearances, including four strikes against Liverpool in his three outings against them in league and cup." He also has the Premier League record for fastest ever hat-trick, beating the record previously held by Robbie Fowler when he scored 3 in 2 minutes 56 seconds against Villa in 2014/15.

[​IMG]
    Ragnar Klavan

"A commanding presence who is comfortable playing either centrally or at left-back, Klavan is hugely experienced, having made his senior league debut for first club Elva in his homeland at the tender age of 16 in March 2002."

[​IMG]
    Alex Manninger

"Manninger spent five years at Highbury, playing a key role in the Gunners’ successful 1997-98 Premier League title run-in when regular No.1 David Seaman was out injured."

[​IMG]
    Georginio Wijnaldum

"While [last] season ended in disappointment and relegation for the Magpies, Wijnaldum was arguably their shining light, with the fact he played all 38 of their top-flight fixtures while also hitting double figures in goals evidence that he feels right at home in the Premier League."

----------------------------------------------
    To make it easy please just copy and paste the below when posting your views (deleting HIT/MISS as appropriate):

Marko Grujic: HIT/MISS

[Your views]

Joel Matip: HIT/MISS

Loris Karius: HIT/MISS

Sadio Mane: HIT/MISS

Ragnar Klavan: HIT/MISS

Alex Manninger: HIT/MISS

Georginio Wijnaldum: HIT/MISS

Billy Biskix and ptt like this.
  2. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Marko Grujic: HIT

Will gain in prominence as the season develops. Talent is there, just needs to be allowed to grow and settle into the team

Joel Matip: HIT

One of the best defenders in the bundesliga. Fantastic physique and mobility. I suspect he translates his BL form right into our set-up

Loris Karius: HIT

Same as Matip really.

Sadio Mane: HIT

Has hit the ground running already. We have really missed a player with his profile for a while and under Klopp's 4-3-3 gegenpressing - he fulfils a critical role

Ragnar Klavan: HIT

Signed as cover but hardly a slouch. Lots of experience and will perform well when called upon. What ou see is what you get basically - A no nonsense CB who is reasonably good with his feet.

Alex Manninger: HIT

Will hardly see him play but as a third choice GK, he is a massive improvement on Bogdan.

Georginio Wijnaldum: HIT

I actually see and understand the role he is playing and I think he is doing well in it. His role isn't the most visible but I suspect he is one of those players you would definitely notice if you took him out of the team. Will continue to gel into the team and will do well this season.

So, a 100% success rate on our signings!!!

3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Overall am in agreement with Kopstar, Chewbazza and others that the window as a whole was disappointing more for the nature of who we didn't sign as opposed to who we did, and so can't be considered a resounding success.

However, concerned as we are with those we did sign:

Marko Grujic: MISS

Above refers to this season coming, in which I think he'll struggle for meaningful time on the pitch especially given the fewer games with no Europe, and if we go out early in one or both cups then it will only make it more difficult for him to make it onto the pitch. In a year or two's time he'll hopefully be a good player featuring regularly.

He looks an improvement on the defenders he replaced (Skrtel, Kolo), which may be a low bar to clear, but nevertheless the early signs are that he'll be a classy addition to the defence.

I've liked what little I've seen of him so far, someone who will be far more proactive in guarding his area and stopping scoring opportunities before they develop, I just hope he recovers soon from a very badly timed injury.

Not much needs to be said here, as his class is already evident. The only question mark hanging over him is consistency, but hopefully he'll continue as he's started. Already a key part of the team.

I'm a little bit borderline on this one. I think he's squarely in the middle, will have good days and bad, but in terms of what he delivers versus the expectations of him as a third-choice CB I think he'll do ok.

Alex Manninger: MISS

Slightly unfair perhaps given I think he was brought in as emergency cover only with no expectation of him actually playing - and likely there's a coaching element he's providing as well - but I'd be stunned if he actually gets a game, so speaking as a player signing you can't call that a hit imo.

Georginio Wijnaldum: MISS

I wasn't opposed to bringing him in... when I was persuaded that he'd be coming as an attacking midfielder. While we didn't have an urgent need for more of those he did well enough last season that it looks a decent acquisition. As a CM though? I'm sorry, I just don't get it. He may surprise us, but as it stands I don't see him being a massive success or significant improvement over the player he replaced.

Window as a whole: C+/B-

4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Grujic: Miss. I don't see him having enough games to prove himself unless there are some major drop in form and injuries during the course of the season. Can, Henderson, Wijnaldum is definitely going to be a preferred trio in the middle of the pitch. He will be used mostly as sub, and we saw him coming on and put himself about for good 5 mins and a bit against Burnley. Then he went missing just like the players before him. Not sure if I could classify him as a hit at all, but a miss is also a little harsh. But since we don't have other options, it's A or B option, I'd go with a miss.

Matip: Hit. I am a sucker for a defender who is very composed on the ball, able to bring the ball up field with pace, picking out passes and able to score goals. On top of that, superior in the air on both ends of the pitch and good reader of the game. So far against Spurs he was pretty much that. He mopped up a lot of Lovren's overzealous rush forward for tackles or interception. Being his debut, he also kept that prolific Kane quiet and Alli anonymous around our box. That's only his first game and if there's more to come, bring it on!

Karius: Hit. This is because I just want to see Mignolet benched. He is a better reader of the game too, braver, but hasn't seen him against English Premier League forwards, so cannot fully judge him. So far I have seen him in preseason, he is promising. I just put Hit to his name purely in the belief of anyone is better than Mignolet.

Klavan: Hit. Even though I commented about Kanonkop's post but for me there are no substitute to experience when it comes to centre half. He didn't come from some big club where defenders are hardly tested. He came from a team that usually gets the beating and fight for counter attack. He too looked very composed on the ball, his experience let him uses his body far better than Lovren to shield the ball. He only needs to improve on how quick his decision making should be.

Mane: Hit. Terrorised defenders, occupy the defensive midfield whenever he plays. Defenders are wary of him and if we play against teams that uses defenders to attack we are safe with him on our side. Already has a goal to his name, so I think he is going to do quite well with his strength and pace, and his game, being direct uses that a lot. We now need him to make snap decision while carrying the ball and shooting exercise is needed, much needed together with some of his forward teammates.

Manningger: Miss. Not going to have enough games to use him, and if we are using him then our first two keepers are either in trouble with their form or injured. Either way, I still see Mignolet and Karius playing as keeper as and when one is fit.

Wijnaldum: Miss. He does run from deep and arriving in a few scoring positions already. But still has a lot of room to improve. At this moment I don't see him do much to help the fullbacks and he went missing quite a bit in a match which isn't good considering he is the engine room together with Henderson in the middle of the park. His pressing was not as intense as his teammates and his shots aren't exactly power+accuracy, he can only have either. A bit more training in this department is good, seeing that he does loiter around the 18 yard box a lot. Some how I don't see it this season, maybe next one the assessment of him will be different.

I think it is quite underwhelming transfer from our side this season.

Edit: @Zinedine Biscan - Great minds do think alike.... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2016
  5. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Even though we did not get this elusive LB I am content and even happy with the progress.

I feel his game time will be limited but, in most of the games he does play, he will prove his worth.

Injuries aside, he has proved he is an upgrade and will be the CB that will go into the same catogory that I have Agger et el.

This season will be similar to Grujic, though he will get more games and if he can get a couple of solid games in him then he will take over as #1 by January.

Consistency may be an issue, due to the hype/expectations that already surrounds him, but it will be easy for him to prove his worth.

Solid and dependable, second or third choice based on other CB's form.

Third choice GK, he is a Hit for me as he knows what his job is in the squad and will do it well.

He will not be "outstanding" but will do an effective job when called upon, the most intriguing of all signings this summer.

Window as a whole: B-
    Klopp's first summer transfer window, all key areas have been addressed via transfers and/or repositioning of the current squad members.

6. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

I'll give Marko his due. He hasn't played much, but when he has played, he's played well and popped up with a couple of goals already as well. He's young, raw. But he has all the aspects of being a big star for us as the season goes on.

He's impressed in the games he's played, and shows great defensive awareness. Matip and Lovren could be our first choice defensive partnership for years to come.

Before his injury, I was already looking at Karius as our number one keeper for this season. He seems to have everything Mignolet doesn't. OK, it was only pre-season, and we'll find out more on his return. But he showed more awareness of where players were in the box, he orgnised the defence better than I've ever seen Mignolet do, and he controlled his defence better than I've ever seen Mignolet do. His shot stopping was spot on, as was his positioning between the sticks.

Runner up as best goalkeeper in the Bundeslige, second only to Manuel Neur, is no mean feat.

How could it be anything else? The closest thing we've seen to Luis Suarez since, well, Luis Suarez. His vision, his pace, his goals. He will bring to us what we've been missing since the little Uragyan left for Barcelona.

Ragnar Klavan: HIT/MISS

Hard to call this one. He played ok while Matip was out injured, but he was never going to be first choice, and some of his decision making in a couple of those games showed us why.

Only reason I can see Manninger being brought in for is more as a coach to Karius and George. He may be on the bench while Karius is injured, but lets face it, he'll never get a game.

So far. I'm expecting this to change to a HIT at some point. Wijnaldum can be a good player, and he has an eye for a pass. But at the moment he's a little out of his comfort zone, being played in CM instead of AM, and he's going missing in games. Exactly what the Newcastle fans warned us would happen. Hopefully Klopp will coach this out of him as the season goes on and he'll become a decent player for us.

steveee and Hope in your heart like this.
  7. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

Marko Grujic:MISS
    Hardest one to call because I don't see him getting enough game time. He looked decent in preseason and scored a few including a sublime header which points to potential. I like his physical size too so he might bring a bit of badly needed steel to the middle of the park.

Ball playing centre half in the Agger/Hansen mould so what's not to love really? Hit if he can stay fit.

Cant be any worse than Mignolet can he?

Easiest one to call. Have UTD fans already pissing about not buying him. Pace, power, creativity and an end product..............AntiLallana.

A cheap back up option who looked like a great reader of the game drawing Hyypia comparisons which were a bit premature. Was exposed twice in the Burnley game but he was hardly the only one at fault there. Will probably have more decent games than bad ones but will throw a few shockers in as he goes along.

Will be a hit because he won't be asked to do anything and only Balotelli can fuck up sitting on his arse. Should never be seen in a 1st team game unless the world is ending.

Just don't see what he really brings to the side but Klopp seems to rate him. Will he contribute more than Allen who he seems to have replaced for 12M more? Doubtful but might surprise us I hope.....just wouldn't put my house on it.

8. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Probably one for the future overall but I can see him getting a few games in the cups and if injuries occur. He looks a huge talent and very versatile and his physical presence could be very useful.

Height! Having a tall CB will be a great asset to us at both ends of the pitch and his debut at Spurs was undeniably very impressive.

Looks good from the little we've seen of him. If he supplants Mignolet as first choice then he's been a hit, if Mignolet improves so he can't get a game then I would say he's been a hit as well!

Has been phenomenal so far and I can only see him improving. He seems to fit Klopp's system perfectly.

Not a great game against Burnley but his Arsenal performance redeems him for me to get my vote - he looks like a pretty solid backup and his versatility in that he could be used as an LB if needs be gets him a tick from me.

Will be a difficult one to assess as he is unlikely to get much game time. However it would be difficult for him to be worse than Bogdan and his experience and winning mentality will no doubt be useful in coaching other players.

Hasn't exactly hit the ground running yet but has showed flashes of promise at times.
    As the team gels and Klopp's coaching comes in then I feel that we will soon get consistently good performances from him.

9. steveee

steveee TIA Reserve Team

I do not judge on what players have done performance wise so far like some here... that's just silly I'm judging by what they will be said about these players 2 years from now as well... and what I see as their talent and skills from them

Grujic - HIT will prove to be our best summer signing. I can already tell this kid will be a star.

Matip - HIT he looks better than both Skertel and Lovren to me

Karius - HIT one of the best keeper in the bundesliga last season... he's better at coming off his line and at crosses in the box than Migs upgrade

Mane - HIT easy pace and power that we needed.. basically sterling's replacement but better because he has a better footballer IQ

Klavan - HIT for how much we paid for him... he looks very solid and easy replacement for kolo and he already looks better of skertel from last season

Manninger- HIT for what he is here for.. 3rd choice emergency keeper.. looks better than Brad Jones who use to be our backup

Wijnaldum - HIT he has pace and power and very good in the air and good passing.. will add around 10 goals for us this season from the midfield something we didn't have last year from that position

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  10. hoosierred

hoosierred Well-Known Member Valued Member

I'd lower my expectations this year. He won't get a lot of starts outside of cups unless someone gets hurt, but I think a couple years from now he'll be a star. He needs to get a little stronger and get used to the pace and style of the premier league.

Smooth and composed. I suspect he'll be our best defender by the end of the season, especially with Sakho's ongoing issues.

I'm basing this more on hope than any observation. He's much more mobile and seems to read the game and have better ball skills than Migs. I still don't know if he can stop a shot or command the box because he hasn't played against top level opposition yet do to his injury. I've liked what I've seen so far, and expect the defense to look more solid in front of him.

A star

The shine is off. He reads the game very well and defends calmly, but may lack the physical tools and tackling ability to be anything more than a solid backup. I'm not sure if that makes him a hit or a miss so I'm being generous.

Alex Manninger:MISS

Likely to do more coaching than playing

Obvious positive attributies with skill and energy, but hasn't impacted games yet. When everyone is healthy, I'm not sure he starts unless that changes.

11. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

It will take a while, certainly not this side of Christmas, but he'll become seen as an important squad player.

I think he'll become the dominant centre back we've needed for ages. In the Bundesliga team of the year, so can't really see him bombing

I'd have signed Timo Horn, but there probably isn't much to call between them. I don't think you can go much wrong with a German Keeper. I expect him to displace Mignolet by Christmas.

THE hit of the summer. He's already exciting the travelling kop, and looks closest to replicating the unpredictable brilliance we lost when Suarez moved on. I wish we could get these lads when they're 10m rather than 35m but nevertheless, he'll do well for us.

He'll be a really steady deputy, and get about 15 starts. I think he'll get a few games at Left Back too. Not first team regular, but a massive upgrade on Skrtel, and that's all we need him to be.

I think he is Achterburgs long overdue replacement more than he is here to play a part in the first team.

I think he could be nudged out for Can when the German is fit, and I worry that the inconsistency reported by Newcastle fans is going to dog this one.

12. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I see much potential in that lad. Looked good every time he got the opportunity to play for us. Could make a big impact for us if he can be 100% fit and stay like that throughout the season. Still more one for the future, but could make a difference this season already.

Looked good against Tottenham. Like Grujic, early physical niggles have prevented him from immediately stunning everyone, but there are signs that he offers us things we hadn't before: height, strength on aerial balls, goal-threat on corners, ability to carry the ball forward.

If he can get back to 100% fitness soon, he'll be better than Mignolet, and thus worthy of being called a hit.

Looks like a hit, plays like a hit. His raw pace is great for us anyway, and that's without counting his other abilities. I for one hope that he'l be able to maintain his superb attitude over the whole course of the season. If that's the case, we are in for some great moments.

Ragnar Klavan: MISS

He'll be consigned to the bench this season, but can still play a useful role at times, a bit like Touré last season. So, a small and inexpensive miss.

He'll hardly contribute to games this season. Hopefully he can play a positive role in the background for the younger keepers.

Still don't understand why this lad was brought in to the first team, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that Klopp is a genius (he is!) and sees things which I can't see (definitely true!). Thus, this lad will stun everyone and prove to be absolutely undroppable throughout the season... ;-)

13. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

See him taking a bit of time to challenge for a regular starting spot but when given the chance during the season will impress more enough to build on year on year.

Joel Matip: Miss

This will probably be the one i get completely wrong but i don't think he'll improve us,i'll go as far as saying he'll be a flop.Out the door quicker than you can say Sakho take him with you.

Don't see a massive improvement on Mingolet here but more than enough to take his spot between the sticks and keep it.

He'll be our best attacking player this year and the supporters player of the year at the end of the season.

Will be a solid partner for Lovren once they get used to each other.CB partnership by the new year.

He'll be a hit regarding what he was brought here to do,back up to the back up and a future coach for the other keepers.

Georginio Wijnaldum:HIT

He will do fine but won't set the world alight.Played in attack he'll be like Lallana but with more goals.

steveee and Hope in your heart like this.
  14. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Clubs usually bat around 50% in the window and I see it no different here. Two years from now I'd want to switch Grujic and Wijnaldum, but I did this with next year in mind.

He's a miss only in that I don't see him breaking through and improving our first 11 this year. I've only seen him kick a ball twice up to now, so maybe I'm wrong, but looks like one that might become a hit in a year or two, by which time other forumites will want his head because he wasn't an instant success and made a few mistakes in his first year here.

Joel Matip: MISS

Big lad, but so are all of our mistake prone CBs. On his day, he'll be dominant, just like Lovren and Sakho (ah Sakho, remember him?). I see him having as many bad days at the office as good, which means a miss for a CB. I think a case of first year Lovrenitiss may be on the cards. Won't help playing with Moreno or Milner as part of the back 4. Supposed to be great with the ball coming forward, a front foot defender, everything Lovren was supposed to be. He'll try and impress instead of keeping it simple, and will suffer for it. He comes with a reputation of having a mistake in him as well (I really really hope I'm wrong about this). In a year or two I can see him settling to the premier league and turning it around, hopefully before everyone gets on his back.

A resounding success because his name isn't Mingolet. He'll be first choice and he'll be better than what we have available. That's a hit.

Good enough to make this window a good one even if all the other signings are terrible. People will look back and smile about the summer we got Mane (don't think all the others will be terrible, just making a point).

He's a miss the same way Grujic is a miss. I don't think he will be good enough or improve our first 11. He'll be a hit with the fans the way Kolo Toure was a hit, if that's how you want to define it. When he's in the team and does something well, he'll get a nod and and a 'good lad' from me. Not sure that's enough to say he'll be a hit.

Alex Manninger: Irrelevant

I don't think he'll play one minute of meaningful football and he'll be the answer to a pub quiz 5 years from now that I'll miss.

He'll be a hit in terms that he'll play a lot of first team football and there is no-one better than him I'd rather have in the team, so going by above terms, he'll be a hit. I think he's the third best CM, with Hendo and Can as the better two, in a team that will play three CMs. He's a bit of a passenger though. When the teams playing well, he'll do nice things. When the teams struggling, he'll be invisible and you won't notice he's playing. Certainly not one to take the game by the scruff of the neck and pull Liverpool through a scrappy spell and stamp his authority on a game, as you would like to see CMs do. Two years down the road, I think he's a bit of a Lallana in terms of some will see the good things he does and some will want rid. Maybe moving him to the wing or into the hole will change that, but can't see him getting a sniff in those positions with other players we have available.

15. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Grujic hit I think personally think he will be a very good player and very good buy with a bit of time,a few appearances will give us better idea

Matip hit needs a bit of bulking up but I like the look of him but a bit gangly.

Karius hit
    just a matter of time before he takes mignolet place.

Mane hit
    complete confidence in this lad as already shown,a bit tasty in the tackling as well.

Klavan hit
    more out of hope to be honest

Manninger hit
    in terms of coaching Karius could be a good move.

Wijnaldum hit
    hopefully still finding his feet at the club but admittedly needs to do better.

Maybe bias played a part in my predictions as I couldn't bring myself to predict failure.

inaiq likes this.
  16. humanrefutation

humanrefutation Active Member

Love the idea behind this thread.

I think he's going to be a hit in the long run. But over the next twelve months, with no European football, I anticipate that he won't see the pitch enough to make a significant impact.

I think there's a reasonable chance he might end up as one of the best centerbacks in the entire league. He might be the best signing of the group. He's height will do wonders to help on set pieces, and he's a good passer with an attacking spirit that could be problematic for teams who don't expect him to maraud into the box once in a while.

I think he'll be an improvement on Mignolet. I think he'll do a much more effective job commanding the penalty box, especially on set pieces.

He's already shown himself to be a hit, in my view. His pace, his aggression, his relentlessness is enjoyable to watch and adds a dimension to the attack that was sorely lacking last season. Frankly, my only concern with Mane is whether he'll stay healthy.

I think Klavan eventually dips behind Matip, Lovren, and Sakho. He was signed for depth, leadership, and security, and in that sense, he'll be just fine.

I don't even know how to rate Manninger because I don't believe he was brought in with the intention of actually playing. He's an emergency piece until Karius returns, and barring injuries to Karius or Mignolet moving forward, he won't even be on the bench for the rest of the season.

This is the one significant signing I'm less than excited about, frankly. I don't think Wijnaldum isn't talented, but I'm not sure he's effective in the role he's currently being played in. While I believe he has the physical tools to play a wide role in the midfield, he's more of an attack-minded player, and he's on a squad that has several better attack-minded options right now.

That isn't to say that he won't contribute in the long term. He could be a good contributor in the future if the team has to split the squad to to accommodate European play. But right now, he's kind of lost where he is.

17. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

Marko Grujic: Hit

A season of 20+ appearances with maybe a handful of starts in the cups will represent a good season for Grujic personally, and as far as his contribution to the team goes, a few goals and some promising signs of what he can grow into will be enough. He's depth for now but should be showing signs by the second half of the season that he's on his way to displacing one of our limited midfielders in the near future. If he can't show that with how little real talent we possess, then it will have to be revised, but from what he's shown so far, he's a greater talent than all of them.

Joel Matip: Hit

Probably our most important signing and one who will hopefully grow into a rock in a defense that is otherwise suspect. Calm and cultured on the ball, dominant in the air, very intelligent. He really has everything and with a bit added mass I think he'll become one of the best CBs in Europe. As long as his growth isn't undermined by a constantly changing partner, or playing with players who aren't actually CBs, he should establish himself as a key figure in our side. He may even be able to provide some of the calm possession play that we won't get in midfield. On a free the bar is low, but I don't think he'd look out of place as a 30m pound signing. Big, big hit, even if our defensive record overall probably won't be that great. That won't be on Matip.

Loris Karius: Hit

Has what Mignolet lacks in terms of efficient and intelligent distribution, he's comfortable on the ball and generally a no fuss, no nerves type of keeper. What we've come to expect from this generation of German keepers. I don't know how long it will take him to displace Mignolet following his hand injury, but I think he'll be number one by the end of the season and will have made Mignolet surplus to requirements.

Sadio Mane:
    Hit

Probably the most astute signing we've made in some time, Mane provides something we've been trying and failing to find for years. Pace and goal threat from a wide player. You'd think it wouldn't take more than a decade to unearth one who could also stay fit, but here we are. Looks like our best player already and I'd fancy him to actually put significant pressure on our center forwards for a spot through the middle throughout the season. Should get double figures in goals and assists and serve to break the back of many opponents. It's been said already but he really does to appear to have a Suarez-like quality in that he can operate from anywhere and cause havoc while looking to be mostly unplayable. If he stays fit he should have a monster season.

Ragnar Klavan: Miss

I think we went a bit bargain basement with this signing. He's a defender who doesn't look nervous which on first glance for most of us usually signals quality, but I think he's just a bit average and within the context of the Sakho situation, he'll end up playing minutes that a far superior player should be getting, meaning his presence will routinely remind us of a massive misstep by the management. He doesn't look like a huge liability but he's not a player who will improve us aside from maybe remaining fit for much of the season. He'd be a good partner for Gomez in cup games if such a thing ever occurs, but beyond that I think he's going to underwhelm, even compared to a 35-year old Kolo Toure.

Alex Manninger:
    N/A

He's our next goalkeeping coach, which I think makes rating the perhaps 1 or 2 appearances he'll get (being generous) pointless. He'll be a fantastic resource for Karius and maybe even for Mignolet, but he's not really a new buy.

Georginio Wijnaldum:
    Hit

I don't think we've really seen a typical performance from him yet but he's still had some good moments in matches and hasn't done anything to embarass himself because he's not being played in a position that maximizes his strengths and has no platform behind him to protect him when he moves forward when instructed. Ultimately, I think he'll split his season between his current position in the 4-3-3 and as a 10 in the 4-2-3-1, and do significantly better as a 10. If we buy the right CM in time, I think his performances in the 4-3-3 will improve. Hit is a strong word for what I think he'll be this season, but it will be the kind of season where you look at his creative contributions and numbers of goals and assists and see that he had a very good first season at the club. Probably double digits in assists and maybe 7-8 goals, or more if he sees more time as a 10. I can understand why many don't see how he fits but he's got some acclimating left to do to a new approach and a position in which he's played but which isn't his best. Over the course of 2-3 seasons, I think he'll emerge as one of our key creative forces.

inaiq, legalalien and steveee like this.
  18. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Think he will be a fixture in the team by the end of the season. I anticipate that the manager will come to the conclusion that having Lallana and Wijnaldum in the same team weakens our defence and the one that puts in less effort will lose his place to Grujic. So that's Wijnaldum becoming super sub.

Will turn out to be our best CB, although that isn't much of a stretch. Cool, calm and collected, rather Hansen-like. He does look a bit lightweight but if he made Bundesliga team of the season then must have coped more than adequately with the big Germans and Poles and whatever else he faced.

I actually found this tough to call. I'm not convinced that he was bought as an automatic replacement for Mignolet and if he is given a run games there's no guarantee that he'll make a smooth adjustment to the Premier League. A hit if only because he didn't cost much and he isn't Mignolet.

Assuming that he maintains his early season form and motivation he'll be a huge hit. He's exactly what we've been missing since we lost Suarez; someone who can do the unpredictable. But it seems that in his case unpredictability can come with inconsistency and there were also some disciplinary problems last season with Koeman lambasting him in the press. Hopefully he got the message from Klopp's dealings with Sakho and won't cause the same problems here.

A miss largely because I don't see him getting much game time as Lovren and Matip will be the main CB pairing. From what I've seen he looks a bit ponderous and might get caught in possession, but is a good header of the ball as one should expect from someone in his position.

A hit because he isn't Bogdan.

Don't know why we bought him. He's an attacking midfielder and we're well stocked there. I think he weakens our central midfield and will lose his place to Grujic.

19. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Marko Grujic-- bit early to say really but on what we have seen and the price we paid I would have to say a HIT
    Joel Matip------ Looks class so far and for free wow ! Got to be a ------------------------------------------------------HIT
    Loris Karius----Again not seen much yet but looks good so far and I am sure he will be a HIT
    Sadio Mane----Cost a lot of money but looks worth every penny--------------------------------------------------------HIT
    Ragnar Klavan-Hit an awful pass to Clyne which contributed to Burnleys 1st goal and dived in and missed a
    tackle on the halfway to contribute to Burnleys 2nd. Cheap enough but not nearly as good a the much maligned Sakho.Have to put a question mark there. ???
    Alex Manninger- very much a stop gap 3rd choice, unlikely to get games.May help on coaching side ???
    Georginio Wijnaldum- Started slowly but seems to gradually be getting more effective.Need to see more improvement to be totally convinced-----------------------------------------------------------------------???

20. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

I like him. But it's very hard for a young midfielder to break through, despite it being our perceived weakness. Don't think he will have a significant impact this season, although I do think after a few years he may become a good player. Seems promising but it will take a lot for him to earn a spot this year.
    Think he'll be our best center back this year. A little error prone, but let's be honest, so are all our center backs and he seems to bring the most to the table.
    Loris Karius: MISS
    Still have hope for him in the long term, but he's a young keeper going to a new league and we've seen many struggling in that position in the past. Probably will be a fair amount of controversy over who should be starting, but I see Klopp sticking with him and him growing over the next few years to become our definite #1. Still don't think he will have a really positive impact just this year.
    Probably the easiest one to predict, based on how we've started out. Definitely adds a new dimension to our attack, though I don't think he'll be as unbeatable as some make him out to be. A really solid addition to our front line but I still have higher hopes for Firmino and Coutinho. That said, we've needed a player like him for a while and I think he'll be a great part of our squad.
    Seemed to struggle to adjust against Burnley and those are the kinds of games we will need him to perform in. Gets credit for the Arsenal game but I don't think he really covered himself in glory there either. He'll need time to adjust and I hope he becomes a reliable squad player but right now I haven't seen a great deal of play to indicate that would be the case.
    Not quite sure how to assess this one - I'm happy with the signing but don't think he'll feature at all this season, so I guess that is a miss? Better than Bogdan as others have said so I guess it may be a hit, but don't really see us talking about him at all after this (though the meltdowns over signing him were pretty entertaining).
    Not only will he be a hit on the forums as the new whipping boy (;-)) but I think he will add a great deal to areas we struggled in last season. Number 1 - he is an efficient runner from deep and while we haven't been able to capitalize on this yet I think it will really help us expose a number of teams this year. Number 2 - he is a good ball retention player and will be helpful in the transition between our defense and attack, both in movement and distribution. He has definitely shown that he doesn't take many chances with the ball but I think for his role that is a good thing. Like others said, he isn't going to pick up the game by the scruff of the neck but he definitely contributes to our shape and style.

21. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

From what I saw in pre-season, he is a definite prospect. If he can translate his potential into performances in the premier league, he will be something to behold.

Considering we've got him on a free transfer, he is a massive boost to our defence. He grew in confidence throughout the Tottenham game; I'm sure he will become our rock in defence.

It was a damned shame he broke his hand in pre-season. When he played our defence was much more confident that with Mignolet. Hopefully he can return from injury and prove his worth.

I wasn't sure when we signed him; how wrong was I. He is what we have been missing. That much was apparent against Burnley. We will have to prepare carefully for his absence during AFCON.

Steady cover, if not spectacular in defence.

Good third string goalkeeper - on that basis and as an improvement on Bogdan, a hit.

Georginio Wijnaldum: Miss

I'm not sure. He has shown one or two good moments, but then he has been largely anonymous for lengthy periods. Solely on the basis that not all transfers work out I've marked him down as a miss. Hopefully he'll prove me to be hopelessly wrong.

22. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Unlikely to feature prominently this season in my books. More likely this is just a season to adapt to the culture and training. Only 20, don't expect him to see more than substitute appearances with a couple of starts in the Cups.

Brought in to be a starter, should own the RCB spot.

Should replace Mignolet in short order. Can't really be any worse than him. If his distribution is better, he'll be a huge hit.

Already looks the business after 3 games. Looks set to be a huge factor for our season. Could go on to be our best player by seasons end.

I think he was brought in for a backup role, despite what Klopp might have said. In that respect, he just needs to be solid here and there.

Looked like absolute pants in pre-season. If he finds himself between the sticks at any point in the coming season, we're in big trouble.

I don't think he was the player we needed. He won't carry our midfield, but instead will look good if Can and Henderson are both fit and on form. He'll be useful passenger, but he won't be a driver.

23. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Only a 'miss' because I don't think he'll get many chances rather than anything to do with his ability. Thought he looked good pre-season. We need some physical presence in the midfield and he's a big lad. Scores goals too. Some class celebrations which we'll see more of in seasons to come. One for the future. Not for now.

It's years since we had a good CB partnership, but Lovren/Matip shows promise. He's good in the air and quick. I like the way he brings the ball out and commits defenders in their own half. That takes a lot of confidence and shows bravery. No one's done that since Agger and it will help us break teams down.

He really needs to be good because we can't rely on Mignolet. I know nothing about him so I'm going on a small evidence base but he just gives the impression that he's going to be good. Some players radiate confidence. If nothing else he'll give Mignolet a kick up the arse. Some genuine competition at last.

Already he is looking like a very important player. I had a few doubts about him on the basis of his form at Southampton. A worldbeater one week, terrible the next. So far he has been brilliant. I didn't think he played particularly well against Spurs but he was still one of the men of the match. He's direct and makes things happen. Can be easily wound up so needs to watch that, but an off the scale workrate. A perfect Klopp player.

He's not very sophisticated and a bit slow, but I like no nonsense defenders. There's a place for one in every team. We've either found a new scapegoat or a new cult figure. Could go either way, but as a cheap as chips back up I think he'll be fine.

When I heard we'd signed him I thought that maybe my dream of one day playing for Liverpool wasn't over, given I thought he was at least 50 years old. So when I found out he was only 39 I was surprised and a bit disappointed. I just hope he doesn't put his back out picking the ball out of the back of the net.

A prediction that is based on hope rather than expectation. When he was ripping it up for Newcastle at the start of last season I was cursing us for missing out on him. Then his form collapsed, he lost interest, Rafa benched him and suddenly it didn't look like such a good buy after all. I would have given odds of about a million to one that we'd end up buying him. It's a weird signing but he can play. So far he's kept things very simple, as though he's just playing himself in. If we push him further forward we might see that he's quite quick and also that he can score goals. A versatile player with a high ceiling which he'll hopefully hit here.

inaiq, lfc.eddie and Scott Jones like this.
  24. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

----------------------------------------------
    To make it easy please just copy and paste the below when posting your views (deleting HIT/MISS as appropriate):

Marko Grujic: HIT/

[His game time may be limited but think he will prove his worth,thought he showed enough so far to justify his worth.Your views]

Joel Matip: HIT/

Looking like a very capable CB,who has looked promising so far.Astrong ,capable and fearless player gives us a dimension at CB we've been missing for a while.

Loris Karius: HIT/

Pity he got injured, when he comes back I expect him to push for #1 immediately,expect big things from this lad.
    Like that he will come off his line,a dimension which Migs doesn't have enough of.Strong in the air,and quick.
    Sadio Mane: HIT/

What do you say,he has already shown he was a very astute signing,bit expensive,but expect that to be justified early on.
    Ragnar Klavan: HIT/

Another brought in for a reason,very experienced CB who it seems can cover LB if required,wont play every game but a very handy player to have in your lineup.

Alex Manninger: HIT/

There was a reason for this signing,at which we can only guess at,I expect him to play a coaching role here,seems happy to be #3 so his worth will be in the background,and with his experience I think he will be an asset.

Georginio Wijnaldum: /MISS

My only miss and that is because I'm not yet convinced about the purchase,it is quite likely that he may grow into the role Klopp sees for him.
    Happy to be wrong!

inaiq likes this.
  25. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Marko Grujic - Miss

This season I don't expect him to get enough minutes bar a serious injury crisis to be classed a hit. First season in a new country and league will be a bedding in period anyway so all will be good long term.

Joel Matip - Hit

Looks like he'll be a main cog in the Klopp machine. Calm and collected on the ball and doesn't panic when put under pressure. Massive upgrade on Skrtel and didn't cost a penny on transfer fee.

Loris Karius - Hit

Expect him to relegate Mignolet to the bench when he returns from injury. Only really seen him in pre season but seems more commanding in his area and distribution looks better than Mignolet.

Sadio Mane - Hit

As long as he stays injury free and doesn't get banned he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet. Already showing why Liverpool splashed the cash on him as he brings something to the team no one else can with his pace and direct running. Many goals and assists expected this season.

Ragner Klavan - Hit

As back up I don't see anything not to like. Klopp has said he ain't back up but that's what I expect him to be and he came so must be happy with that.

Alex Manninger - Hit

Brings experience for both Karius and Mignolet which is always a good thing. Dont expect him to play but I'd be a lot happier with him in goal than Bogdan which can only be a good thing.

Georginio Wijnaldum - Miss

Went AWOL all last season for Newcastle away from home and he seems to have taken that with him to Liverpool. Don't think he suits the sitting midfield roll Klopp has him in just now but if he gets pushed forward he will improve but I've just got this doubt that he'll hit the heights expected of him.

26. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

There’s a thread that runs through almost all of these signings so there’s no point repeating. Potential and talent based on performances so far and the obligatory Youtube scouting that most of us do as soon as we have a new player thread open. That said:

Klopp must have tremendous hopes for him as he was his first signing. The details of that deal meant that we didn’t even see him in a shirt till this season. Must have been a “Buy this guy now, any way you can” request. That’s good enough for me, I’m sure he’ll grow into an excellent player.

Has been playing at the top level in Germany so absolutely no worries from me at all. Calm, composed on the ball, confident and at almost 2 metres tall, the aerial presence that we’ve so desperately needed. A rock on which to build a title winning team.

I’d be an upgrade on Mignolet. As long as Loris can catch a ball once his hand is healed, he’ll be a massive improvement. Seriously, looks to be a real commanding force between the sticks, excellent signing.

Don’t say this too loudly but there’s something more than just a little Uruguayan about him…..

Hoping he’s like his namesake from Vikings, a real mean warrior. Looks it on the pitch too.

Given the standard of our standby keepers over the years, an obvious hit. This guy has experience, talent and the knowledge of what it takes to win. The fatherly figure that we lost when Kolo went.

Could be another Lallana (first season here). Big fish in a small pond now moving to the shark tank. Of course he could stand up and be counted or the whole thing could prove too much for him. I think that as long as he gets played in his strongest position fairly regularly, he’ll be a very good signing. Sitting on the bench week after week will do him no good though. It might actually depend on how Moreno plays. If he’s relegated to the bench by Milner, there’s more chance of Georginio starting.

One of these will fail, that’s just life. I think Mane will be an absolute star, have since we signed him. One thing is not in doubt, we have a much stronger starting 11 and squad than we did last season.

Good luck lads, we’re all counting on you!

Dortmund fan likes this.
  27. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

He's the hardest one to judge and will make people's judgements look stupid in 12 month time no matter what. Honestly I've got no clue how this lad will work out, so many things can influence it. How well will he settle and adopt, how well will he adjust to the new league, how much did his physique help him in the Serbian league?

If you put a gun against my head I'd say miss purely based our recent history with young signings such as Markovic, Illori and Alberto. Can is the exception not the rule, let's hope Grujic joins him in being a success.

Not a question IF he'll be a hit, but more how big of a hit he'll be. It seems already clear he'll be an upgrade on Skrtel and that's a decent position to start out from. Over the coming months it should become clear how good he really is.

Almost identical story to Matip. Without having seen him play, purely based on the reports I'll already predict he's an upgrade on Mignolet. How good is he really? Will he merely be a neutral keeper (gains or loses us no points over the course of the season) or actually manage to win us games? To be determined.

I feel both Karius and Matip will have a big impact on how well we do this season. Everyone assumes they're upgrades, and the extent to which they improve us should go a long way to determining if we can reach our ambitions this season. Two of the most intriguing signings of the summer across the entire league in my opinion.

Not sure what to add here really, his impact is already very visible. Pace, power, a bit of bite and an eye for a goal. Clearly a hit, only worry at this stage is consistency over the season.

I'll admit to having only seen the Burnley game and none of the Arsenal or pre-season games, so my views will be coloured by this. I thought Klavan was awful against Burnley, far worse than Kolo Toure has ever been for us. I really hope he'll be used as a fourth (behind Sakho) or fifth (behind Gomez) choice this season, because I don't want see him getting an extended run in the side.

Third choice goalkeeper who'll most likely never even play, so wasted money in that sense. However, understand why he was signed, it's just insurance money really.

I got the dubious privilege of having seen him play often in the Dutch competition and for the national side before he came to Newcastle. I wasn't impressed back then, I wasn't impressed when he played for Newcastle and I'm certainly not impressed now. Firm miss for me. Tidy player, but for me he lacks both consistency and quality to become a top player.

28. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Just a reminder, as per Kopstar's opening post, this thread isn't for discussion - just post your thoughts on the players before the 10th Sept.

redfanman likes this.
  29. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Will overtake both Henderson and Wijnaldum in the midfield hierarchy by season's end.

No brainer, as they say.

Assuming that his hand recovers fully.

He has pace, flair, an eye for goal and works hard for the team; however, he must keep his temper under control.

Looked imperious in pre-season but has struggled to adjust to the unique demands of the English game. I'm sure he has the intelligence to make the necessary changes.

Won't play a minute all season but then Karius will get injured in the FA Cup final and Alex will come on and save five penalties in a shoot-out against Manchester United.

Can't see why we bought him. He isn't a central midfielder and isn't good enough to displace any of our attackers.

30. Spitfire

Spitfire Resident Realist

One for the future as we only have 12 months to judge, it will be too soon for him. In 2-3 years he could be a mainstay of our midfield. I was excited when we signed Can - similar with this guy. Can is now at a crossroads as to whether he kicks on to end up top drawer or not. In the meantime I look forward to watching this guy develop - could be a beast in a couple of seasons.

The fact he didn't come with a big fee will count in his favour, he could/should be our top CB. He isn't world class but has all the tools you would want, and could grow into a leader for us. That's really all we can ask of him.

This should be pretty simple - he's not Mignolet. When he displaces him during the season the fans will be well pleased and I only see him going on from there - at 22 and less than 5 million he's a bargain and with plenty of upside will be a great signing.

He offers something we haven't had for a while - scary pace. He already makes us look different level when he is in the side. The only thing I wonder about will be his goals and assists - I'm not expecting him to do any better than past seasons - but some may put unrealistic expectations on him.

I think he is clearly our 4th best CB (I include Sahko ahead of him)- I don't know that he will challenge the others and hence will really only see game time due to rotation or injury. Don't get me wrong I like him, and if we need a filler he will do a job; but I really want someone who will challenge our starting 2, and if Sahko isn't getting a look in then that won't really happen

Unless he is now our GK coach then whats the point - he won't play. We have effectively signed someone we don't want to get on the pitch, and we really won't be able to judge his value off it........

I really want to put hit here, so this is perhaps more me than him as a player. I just can't see where he makes us better. So the only way I could put hit is if he displaces one of our established players and then really shines (i.e proves a clear upgrade. I can see that in Mane vs Lallana for example. I can't see it with this guy.)

I know I may seem a bit harsh in that I have more miss than hit. For context overall I understand why we made these signings - for me a hit is someone that comes in and exceeds expectation, i.e I would like a will do the job option - because essentially that what Klavan and Manninger are as signings for me.

Grujic gets hit by the fact that we are only looking at the next 12 months....give him 24 and I would expect to be putting hit.

Finally Wijnaldum certainly gives us depth, but again if he comes in a does a Lallana then for me that's not a hit - he's back in the doing a job category.

Hope in your heart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.