The Geoff Twentyman Thread [2016-17]

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Kopstar, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobLFC

RobLFC Member

Marko Grujic: HIT

I don't think he's going to get double-figure goals or assists, or anything silly like that. But, I do think he will show us enough during the season to suggest he has the ability to become a very good player. For a youngster that's enough to count as a 'Hit' for me.

Joel Matip: HIT

Looks calm and assured at the back already and that he might well offer a far more potent threat in the opposition's box than we've probably had since big Sami (barring Skrtel's one season wonder). No big fee also helps.

Loris Karius: HIT

Hopefully his hand sorts itself our soon and he can get a game in the next round of the League Cup. As long as he doesn't throw one into his own goal then I expect he'd then retain his place for the next league game and become our first choice for the rest of the season.

Not being Mignolet and having some ability with his feet is going to help him massively!

Sadio Mane: HIT

Already gives us a totally different edge when he's in the team. Real pace out wide, the ability (and confidence) to take on his man and a better end product (so far) than either Ibe or Sterling showed for us has transformed us going forward.

Even if he has a drop-off in terms of goals/assists at some point in the season, as he did with Southampton, then I still think his pace will be enough to worry teams and create more space for Phil/Bobby/Studge, etc., to work in.

Ragnar Klavan: HIT

With everyone fit then I don't expect Klavan to play a great deal, but he looks very solid and composed and won't let anyone down when he is called upon. As a cheap back-up CB what more can you ask for?

Again at his price then he has no pressure on him from the fans/media and if Sakho doesn't make up with Klopp then he could even force his way into the first team if Lovren has a drop off in form or someone has a protracted injury lay off.

Alex Manninger: HIT

I'm going to go with 'Hit', just because he's come in on a free and that allows the younger keepers to go out on loan and get real game time. Do I expect him to get any minutes for us? No. But he's cheap, will no doubt be able to pass on some of his experience to Karius (and is a native German speaker which may help Karius as well?) and is an upgrade on Adam Bogdan and Brad Jones. We won't be able to prove if he's a Hit or Miss (hopefully, unless we have a major injury crisis!), so you'll all just have to take my word for it!

Georginio Wijnaldum: MISS

Unfortunately I don't think he improves our team enough for the money paid. He will probably finish as our highest-scoring midfielder (taking Mane and Coutinho as 'forwards' because they'll primarily play in the front 3 of the 4-3-3) so might be seen as a Hit is some quaters, but my guess is that he'll still be <10 goals and I can't see him registering particularly highly on assists either. For £25m that's just not a big enough return and we could have got far better value elsewhere. Hopefully I'm wrong!

2. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

a positionally smart player with an eye for goal. Once he breaks into the startingXI I think he'll be there for a while. Picked him up at a good price, hard to fail

One of the top Bundelsiga defenders will do well here. He has a confidence that I hope to be infectious, and I look forward to seeing him partner Sakho. The calm and the storm ;-)

Too early to tell, but if he can stay healthy I see him taking the #1

He will be our talisman. Need him to stay on a few years and stay healthy

Has already proven his worth to the team, trial by fire. Great 2nd pairing to have with Lovren, and a 3rd pairing in Ilori/Gomez

Alex Manninger: MISS
    Whoops, we did it again. Brought in a player we were never going to play. Wonder why.

I don't get this one for the money we paid. No noticable improvement over Allen whom we lost £3mil on, and cost almost double what Allen did. Such a shame we keep doing these dumb trades, would much rather have spent a few extra and picked up Nainngolan, Bender, or Pjanic before he went to Juve. Still don't have a quality set piece taker, excluding Coutinho

Scott Jones likes this.
  3. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Difficult to say but went Hit for Marko, think he will see a lot more minutes as the season progresses and the injuries pile up but like what I've seen so far. As long as he gets the opportunity to play I think he'll be a hit.

Looks like our best CB, very calm in possession and wins the aeriel duels, expect him to score a few as well

Loris Karius: MISS

Hope I'm wrong on this one but I think we'll have to wait a season or two to see his very best

Looks a brilliant signing, pace and power and trickery everything we love to see in attacking players. If he carries his current form he could be our best attacking player

Think he'll see enough games to be classed a hit, just needs to be a solid reliable player and keep his errors to a minimum and for the money he'll be a hit.

Won't play a lot but if he can help Karius and Migs become better keepers then he will be a hit.

Again hope I'm wrong but seems an unusual and possibly unnecessary signing, not sure if he is suited to a CM role but also not sure he is good enough to unseat any of our attacking mids either.

4. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

Don't think he'll have a huge role to play this season- I imagine we will mainly see him in cup matches. I like what I've seen so far of him- could form a very good midfield with Can in coming seasons.

Huge upgrade on Skrtel and seems to be close to an Agger type defender who likes to bring the ball out of defence. Has a goal in him too

Too early to say too much for obvious reasons but can't be any worse than Mignolet! Klopp obviously chose him for a reason and he won't have been voted 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga behind Neuer for no reason...

Sadio Mane: HIT/MISS

Biggest Hit of the transfer window by a country mile. Has real pace, a good eye for a goal and an assist in him- can't wait to watch more of him play. Hopefully he falls out with the Senegal manager so doesn't miss any LFC matches for the AFCON!!

Obviously not brought in as a starting player in the 1st XI but provides good back up. Upgrade on Kolo whose position he has effectively taken

3rd keeper who will barely (if at all) see this season

This is a tricky one- an obviously talented player but he just isn't a central midfielder. His preferred position is obviously further up the pitch but he won't be kicking the likes of Cout or bobby or Mane out of the side any time soon

5. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I'm giving my prediction for this season only.

Marko Grujic: MISS

He probably won't get enough playing time and even if he does, I don't think he'll be able to influence our game too much because of his inexperience with PL. He needs to bulk up a bit as well and play with more aggression and speed. A purchase for the future anyway.

Hopefully a hit. Plays on the front foot, has speed, height, composure and more than decent technique. Like Grujić, though, he seems a bit skinny for his height and I suspect that might cause him problems when playing against brutish centre forwards. Also, his front foot style might work against him early in his PL career but I expect him to have a good season, fitness permitting, and then to build on it.

His very presence should make Mignolet up his level, so if Mignolet does well because of increased competition, Karius will have a successful first season, right?! He seems an astute purchase on the account of his mentality, hopefully he walks the walks as well. Like Matip, he's a fan of front foot style and he should help us play with a higher back line and build attacks from the back. We're yet to see just how good he is on crosses and set-pieces, though, but I hope that our defence won't let him be tested as much as Mignolet was during the last two seasons.

For once, we bought just the kind of player we needed, it seems. He has strength, pace, aggression (more than he should, in all honesty) and cocky attitude in opponent's final third which should get him a lot of goals and assists, I hope. Injuries are a slight worry, as well as the notion that he might be the next player our whole team will heavily rely on and look for inspiration when the going gets tough (and he doesn't strike me as someone who is able to do all that by himself). I hope that Klopp will find ways to ease the pressure off him.

Although people often describe Matip as Škrtel's replacement and Klavan as Toure's, I think it's more the case of Matip being a strong addition to first XI and Klavan being a replacement for Škrtel, i.e. a squad player who should be able to answer Klopp's requirements when called upon, something Škrtel wasn't capable of. Klavan seems to possess composure and decent experience from his time in Netherlands and Germany but he strikes me more as someone who would excel in backs-to-the-wall scenario than when we are playing on the front foot. A good option to have in squad.

Experienced third option, though way past his best. Will probably do the job he's required to and maybe then start coaching having worked with some of the world's best goalkeepers.

A head-scratcher of a signing, just like Zielinski would have been. A talented and energetic player but he needs a specific setup to truly shine (like quite a few of our players). I'm afraid I don't see him influencing games as much as we would like him to, especially if he continues playing in unbalanced midfield where he's required to play deeper. He also seems to have some consistency/confidence issues, so Klopp will need time to get him playing at his best.

6. Prolix

Prolix Well-Known Member

I expect Grujic will mostly see minutes in cup competitions this season, as he's clearly not been brought in to immediately strengthen the starting XI. However, I think he will deliver convincingly in those situations, laying a positive foundation for future seasons. His physicality is coupled with both skill and thought, which makes him a really fascinating player. I think he will learn to thrive in English football, being a key part of some good cup runs this season (no embarrassing stumbles under Klopp, I hope).

It will be nice to only worry about one CB at a time now that Matip is here. Nice bonus that we won't be missing him for AFCON. While the CB situation has been... weird this summer, I remain hopeful that we will see a Matip/Sakho partnership established at some point. Regardless, I think he will be a consistent and stable partner which will benefit Lovren greatly. Should feature notably in our GF column.

Will be our starting GK before Christmas.

The perfect Klopp player, it seems. Has instantly become one of the most-- if not the most-- important players for us. Will be our top scorer, and close behind in assists.

Not perfect, but a thousand times better than any backup CB we've had for a long time. Absolutely do not mind him getting significant minutes this season, though I think it's clear that he is in no way the future.

His presence has already allowed our young, promising GKs to do more than sit on a bench waiting for their 15 minutes at LFC. Possible coaching role for him? Can't see any way in which this can be construed as negative, even if he doesn't play at all. Peace of mind.

I wanted to be won over by this guy, and I still think he has very skills/versatility. I was hoping I could get one more look at him before putting my thoughts down, but that's sort of the problem with him... I make an active effort to 'watch' him and somehow still can't see him on the pitch. It's yet to be seen if he can be more effective at home (the criticism he's carrying from Newcastle), but so far he "hides" on the pitch (sort of how Downing used to). I wish fervently to be proved wrong, but even if he ends up with significant goalscoring numbers I think it will be difficult to see him as crucial. Short-term substitute and alternative to Dahoud, maybe?

7. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I really want this guy to be a hit and I think next season he will be. He's not currently getting a game and it's difficult to see where he's going to get his chance. He impressed in pre-season but mostly against teams at the level of the Serbian league - can he do it in the Prem? Yes, but not this year.

He's looked strong, athletic and composed. I think he'll form a strong partnership with either of Lovren or Sakho (more probably Lovren, obviously).

He'll benefit due to who he'll be compared to and the fact that the fans are desperate to see a top class keeper at the club and they'll grab on any sign of that from Karius. Mistakes will be quickly forgotten as the young lad will be given every chance to succeed.

I fear he may fade into oblivion after a very encouraging start much like the light that burns brightest burns for the shortest. However I am brushing aside those concerns to say he'll be a big hit. Brings the side exactly what it was missing.

Ragnar Klavan: MISS

Was this signing the first indication that Klopp's faith in Sakho had been significantly dented? Possibly. Although he's made an okay start I think he's got too many shortcomings and will be exposed. If he's ahead of Sakho in the pecking order now he won't be for long.

As an insurance policy that allows our young keepers to go out on loan - no problem with that. If he's also going to be involved in the coaching set-up he'll be comforted to know that whatever he brings will be an improvement.

I like him. He's a good footballer. But did we need him? No, I don't think so and for £25m we could have properly sorted out LB. That's not relevant to whether he'll be a hit or miss for us this year though. He'll be a miss because when everyone's fit he doesn't get into the team and when they're not, and he does get in, he'll be largely anonymous.

MikeOscar likes this.
  8. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

If this were long-term, I'd give Grujic a certain hit. Already shown in his cameos the sort of player I think he'll become. But for this season, as a young player adapting to a new team/league/level, and with him pegged as being a rotational player, I doubt he'll have a substantial impact. I do think he'll do well whenever called upon, but I certainly don't expect him to be a rising star in the team yet. Be delighted if he does, tho.

Joint signing of the summer... erm, January. Erm, no wait. Ahh, you know what I mean. A cool head in possession, and willingness to put himself about, he reminds me of Agger. I think he'll prove to be a fantastic signing - but the question is going to be who partners him throughout the year, and how he'll gel with them.

This one could honestly go either way. A lot of people are saying hit purely down to the fact that he's not Mignolet, but then again he's still a bit of an unknown quantity. Looked good briefly in preseason until the injury sadly cut short my ability to make a properly informed decision. Ahh feck it, hit it is!

Our best player of the fledgeling season by a country mile. Fantastic against Arsenal, sorely missed against Burnley, and excellent again against Spurs. Provides an element of pace and directness that we've desperately needed since Suarez left. (and could still do with a bit more, mind) That said, he's shown patches of devastating form last year for Southampton, followed by periods of being poor, so will be crossing fingers his form is more consistent here. Still think he'll be a hit though.

Ragnar Klavan: MISS
    Fantastic performance against Arsenal, followed by a comedic display against Burnley. Bit of a no-nonsense sort, which I normally like, but just looks all over the place when being directly attacked. I expect him to fall down the pecking order once Sakho is back in the boss' good graces, and we'll likely only see Ragnar in matches where we're going to be camped in the opponent's half. (Erm, like Burnley. And we saw how that turned out.)

Granted he's not the free signing debacle that we've had in the past, where we've flung obscene amounts of money at the likes of Cole, Jovanovic, and Voronin to do absolutely nothing, but a bit of a pointless signing. Basically a statement from the club at how low they rate Bogdan, the only time we'll see Manninger is on the bench when either Karius or Mignolet is injured.

The one signing we made in 2016 that had me thinking "The FUCK we do that for!?!?" Ostensibly a player that plays behind the striker, his is the one place we have genuine depth and options at. It could be that Klopp feels he has the tools to be an excellent box-to-box player, but thus far he's looked out of his depth in the middle of the park. With Klopp favouring the 4-3-3, and Lallana and Henderson (hmm) high on the pecking order, the third spot is between him, Can, Milner, Grujic, and Lucas. Of those five, Wijnaldum is the one that impresses me centrally the least. I'd have him above Henderson at the moment (personally), but feel he'll prove to be £25m wasted rather than money well spent.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  9. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

Very hard to judge this, given the little I have seen of them, not seen any pre-season, plus they are pretty pointless anyway - players could gel and score loads and be awful when it really matters.
    So given that and the little games we have played, its just guess work.

Hardly seen anything of him, not entirely sure where he plays. He could be one of those who makes a stake in the team later on in the season as doesn't seem to be a first choice option at the moment, so with that I will guess as a miss for now.

Think he may do well, I have seen glimpses of something which may make him a decent addition, yes he will make mistakes, but so do all.

I sure hope he is better than Mignolet, we certainly need a decent keeper - been lacking for a number of years

I suspect he wont be good in all games, has a question around his temperament, heard he has been sent off 6 times in his career already! But he does look sharp and will help us get goals which is what we need

Suspect Klavan will be more of a bit part player, think it will be Lovren and Matip who are the main 2, but think Klaven will do alright and prove to be an ok signing given the money we spent on him

Cannot see him playing many or any games, so what is it we judge him on here?

From what I have seen of him, which isn't a lot, he does seem to go missing in games, £25m was a lot to spend on him - hopefully he proves me wrong and goes on to do very well.

10. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

These are for this season, Manninger I wasn't even wanting to put something for but in the spirit I have but I see him more as a mentor.

I think in the long term he will be a hit but for this season alone I'm putting a miss, it's not like Luis Alberto who never made it but I think he will be limited in his first season, perhaps he will break through but I think he is a season or two away from that.

I think so far he has looked excellent in pre season and in matches, I think he will actually build on that, he will be our number 1 defender come the end of the season.

Loris Karius: MISS
    I just have a funny feeling he won't make it, I think he is as good as Mignolet if not better but may fail to settle, I think the injury to a hand may make an impact as well, speaking from experience I got an elbow in the face and it affected me for a good few months in goal.

The difference between our games with him and without him so far shows, I think if he had been on against Burnley we may be looking at 7pts, generally delighted with him in every game from pre season to now. I was told he doesn't show up for the smaller games by a saints fan but he was motm against Burton. He will have periods of the season that he will hit a bad patch of form but I think he will be the one truely inspired signing from Southampton. If he continues like he is, the cost will look small.

He is a rotation defender at best, will suit some teams and struggle against others, a good addition and cost makes him a HIT, if he had been 10m more he would be a miss.

Free, he has come in to be back up and support the learning of the younger keepers, on that basis we will see, playing wise he is a miss so I put miss, but I don't even think that's the point of him.

Baffled by him, and nothing I have seen has changed that, I don't see how this signing helps us or changes our dynamic, a miss and probably sold on if not next summer, the summer after.

11. Perth Red

Perth Red TIA Youth Team

Marko Grujic: HIT/MISS

HIT

Joel Matip: HIT/MISS
    HIT

Loris Karius: HIT/MISS
    HIT

Sadio Mane: HIT/MISS
    HIT

Ragnar Klavan: HIT/MISS
    HIT

Alex Manninger: HIT/MISS
    MISS

Georginio Wijnaldum: HIT/MISS
    MISS

12. Professional Grass

Professional Grass TIA Regular

Obviously one for the future and is not expected to contribute much early on as he beds into the squad. Based on what he’s shown thus far, I’d be inclined to say he will be a hit for the squad role he is expected to play this season (odd cup match, holiday fixtures, good option as a sub) and develop into a mainstay under Klopp in the future. The lack of games this season is perhaps a blessing in disguise in that it allows Marko time to acclimate to both the team and life in England. This is the type of signing most wish for in that he’s highly rated and someone who has a good chance of fulfilling his potential under a coach like Klopp – and we got him on the cheap before he started attracting the attentions of the CL & cash rich clubs.

Only concern is his fitness really. Otherwise, I’ve loved what I’ve seen thus far and expect him to be a standout player as he has been in the Bundesliga. A ball playing CB who will be a calming influence on the back line. Love his forward runs and his goal threat on set pieces.

A lot on his shoulders already as the supposed solution to one of our most glaring problems -- Could he live up to the expectations we have of him? He still has to adapt to a new defense, new league, and less so for having moved back to England (and let’s not forget the throngs of new female supporters swooning over his good looks :tongue:). Honestly, he’s already a hit since he is expected to either relegate Mignolet to second choice or conversely force Migs to improve in order to maintain his tenuous first choice status.

Consistency and more recently injury issues are the only concerns here. Already hit the ground running and, in such a short space of time, has established himself as an absolute key player for us. He'll be a nightmare for defenses and the x-factor in our attack.

Could be considered a hit for his name alone :J, but seriously, I don’t see why he cannot fulfill his role as a backup to the required standard. No nonsense 3rd/4th choice CB with tons of experience and won’t rock the boat since he understands his role in the squad. Could play in the cup matches and during the holiday fixtures. Let’s hope it’s the Arsenal Klavan we see more of than the Burnley Klavan.

Obviously only judging him as 3rd choice keeper more so than someone we’ll rely upon this season (God willing), though he did look decent enough in the preseason match vs Roma. He's no worse than Jones nor Bogdan, and as a plus he is a veteran keeper who will mainly serve in a coaching capacity to put his extensive experience to good use.

Georginio Wijnaldum: HIT

We’ve seen both the good (athleticism, runs into the box, the assist to Lallana) and the bad (can be anonymous for segments of a match, not yet convincing as a CM) – I remain optimistic that once he has adapted to Klopp’s ideas and demands, he will be a hit. Klopp dubbed him a "complete footballer" -- just his versatility is a great asset to the squad (esp. with AFCON this January) and we’ve yet to see him deployed in his preferred positions.

B+ for this transfer window. We’ve improved the first eleven and the squad and addressed the GK, CB, and Wing. We’ve also smartly loaned key youth players and sold the players that were surplus to requirements while gaining a surplus in our transfer budget. But we did miss out on Dahoud & Pulisic (though we’ve yet to admit defeat), and couldn’t land the ideal left back.

13. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

To be honest I've been bloody awful at this so I'm going to take a slightly different approach.

Joel Matip: MISS

Normally I'd do some research and try to come up with a reasoned opinion, however my gut feel is this guy will not cope physically with the league and get injured a lot, looks like a walking hamstring strain waiting to happen. And he reminds me of Rio Ferdinand.

Loris Karius:MISS

He looks like a movie star and we all so desperately want a keeper better than mignolet that I'm sure he will not be up to it. Anfield is a tough place to just come in and take the number 1 Jersey, not experienced enough to survive if he makes a few early mistakes.

Some say he's our best player already and hes certainly come out with a bang. The one problem is were now worriedly looking at the January fixture list when he'll be and the ACN. Finally we have a decent Senegalese player!

Apparently he was dubbed the Estonian Beckham because of his good looks earlier in his career! Not expecting much from this journeyman, so it's a pretty low bar, Klavan will be a bit of a cult figure ala Kolo\Kyriagos if he does his job right. He looks OK, if a bit slow and maybe a inch or two short for a centre back. If anyone else says he can also cover letter back, yes he is a left footer but.....

Nothing against the guy but what's the point? I wouldn't have Tony Adams these days either.

Doesn't look comfortable in the central midfield position he's deployed in and goes missing in big games snd away from home according to the Geordies. For a Dutch midfielder, he doesn't look technically that great either.

Good luck resurrecting the 'best midfield in the world' song with Wijnaldum, just won't work at all. Surely it's not that hard to sign a midfielder with an 'o' at the end of his surname?

14. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

OK. Thanks for everyone's contribution. Kopstar's opening post said this thread would close at 2pm today, so it is now closed.

It should make interesting reading at the end of the season, when Sadio Mane has been shipped off to Hull, Alex Manniger is established between the sticks, and Gini Wijnaldum has proved a revelation at left back. :-)

eng.amohd, ptt and Joe Ware like this.
  15. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

As a mod, I get to post in here and be the first to say: Georginio Wijnaldum is making me eat a lot of poo at the minute, and make look like even more of an idiot than I usually am.

Livvy, jgw_geneseo, TFC and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.