The Owners

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by liveforthereds, Nov 12, 2012.

1. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Can we sticky this post? because some people need to read this every time before they star their usual rant about FSG.

GCormskirk likes this.
  2. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Somehow, this myth that LFC was not a big spender has taken hold, and it just does not conform to reality. From 1985 to 1992, Liverpool was by a significant margin the biggest spender. LFC wasn't breaking the records often, but was always one of the major spenders. For the day, Dalglish was a big transfer, at the time the largest ever between British clubs - and second only to the sale of Keegan to Hamburg. Souness later that season was another big transfer, made to look small by the fact it was only 352K, but it was the biggest transfer in the league during the season. We were absolutely the big spenders of the era.

Consider the 1981-82 rebuild, when Paisley went out and broke the LFC transfer record for Johnston, introduced a teenager he had spent a crazy amount of money on (British record for a u-19 player) despite the fact he had played just 34 games in the Third Division, broke the goalkeeper record for Grobbelaar (then used him as a reserve), and broke the LFC transfer record again for Lawrenson. No one of those was as big as Robson to ManU, the new overall record, but LFC was just behind ManU in total spending.

LFC wasn't always the biggest spender, but it was almost invariably among the top three.

Sandemann, bazza66, lfc.eddie and 9 others like this.
  3. GCormskirk

GCormskirk New Member

yes please

4. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

I think LFC supporters should know better than any how frickle having a "sugar daddy" position can be. Hicks and Gillete came in wth a big promise for the future, the first year or so we have seen plans of a new stadium, players with "big names" coming in, and then it all stopped.
    I would rather have a financialy responsible owner, who treats the club as an asset who needs to treated regularly to keep it value up, rather than some shiekh who has a new today, and might get tired with it after a while.

So far, FSG have been true to their word : They have expanded Anfield, invested heavily in players ( we have been buying 20+ mil players without a second thought, albeit some of them were shite ), they have been able to bring one of the most thought after managers in Europe ( Klopp ).
    We all agree with the way Klopp is turning the squad around, no easy fix but a long road of rebuilding, FSG is doing the same.

The owners, I believe, want the club to a regular mainstay in the CL, this means another 60-100 mil more in revenues, attracting better players etc. Titles and silverware will follow.

Honestly, I am more affraid of the day they will decide to cash out and we will face new owners.

redfanman likes this.
  5. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

without bothering to get into the were we or weren't we debate, what really is relevant, is, what do we need to do to compete at the highest level....not a history lecture on how we did it 50 years ago.

with that in mind, its a bit hard to see us 'dominating' the English game again without significant changes to our mentality...from the very, very top down.

Red Armada likes this.
  6. Da Bulli

Da Bulli Well-Known Member

I doubt very much whether any team is going to 'dominate' the English game again.

Artrain, Zinedine Biscan and shachart like this.
  7. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

With al premier league clubs enjoying lucrative tv deals, sponserships. New and expanded stadiums means more revenues the more matches you play ( domestic cups or european ) , pretty much most teams in the PL are able to attract good players from all over. With the exceptions of a few clubs in europe , most players will chose to play at any of the PL club rather than any other league.

If you look at the top 6 clubs today, how many of them have a considerable better squad, or spent more than us ?
    Only Chelsea and City have a better squad that was built on endless spending.
    Spurs did not spend much building their squad nor dod they try signing "big names". I do not think Arsenal have a better squad than us, nor did they spend much on it ( except for Sanchez ) . If you take a good look at Utd, they spent a lot on Pogba, Zlatan came on a free, De Gea was brought for nothing years ago, and what else do they have ?
    I will also atgue that while City has an expensive and talented squad, I do not see how much better it served them this season compared to us.
    Chelsea went on a remarkle run of wins in the mid season, but it while they showed trademark defensive performances, you never got the feeling that they are dominating the league, far from it.

Unlike other European leagues, there is to much money spread around for one or 2 teams to dominate the league ( Bayren at Germany, PSG in France, Barcelona and Real in Spain, etc. )

The rational goal should be being contenders every year. Every few years win the title.

8. stan howard

stan howard theoldkoproar

Sorry to use this thread but no option at present.
    A REAL CONSPIRACY AGAINST OUR CLUB
    Their is a real conspiracy going on in Liverpool, all with two aims one to enrich Everton fc and two to use unfair business tactics and the taxpayers money to overtake Liverpool fc.The Commonwealth games are the next part of the scam, they will be Staged for no other reason than a provide a cheap new Stadium for EFC to go with the loan facility provided by the local taxpayer (without being asked). A (supposed) Billionaire with a guaranteed 5 years of 100 million pounds TV money, needs the Council to guarantee loans ???. Moshiri as the head of a consortium also bought the Liver Buildings (nobody knew until it was all over as usual) The Mayor a huge Everton fan had previously borrowed 14 million pounds to buy Evertons training ground to rent back to them for less than they were paying ? a couple of years later the Mayor decides to completely renovate (new builds etc) the EFC Finch farm training ground, (which by the way is not in Liverpool but Knowsley )again at a huge cost - The Mayor is very generous to Everton fc with local taxpayers money while making cuts to essential services and raising Council tax.
    All this is of course a litany of conflicts of interests and all against local Government guidelines. Surely someone will question this you might ask ? The Liverpool Echo won't I know because they are 100% in on it, with 100% positive coverage. 1% negative coverage is not allowed.Councillors won't say nothing they are too scared for their jobs. The common denominator is that Everton fc get everything for next to nothing and Liverpool have to pay through their noses for everything, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that these are unfair practice's one would also think that such Council help as those listed here would be against FA rules. All the above and more are simple facts.
    This is simply to let fans know what is really going on.

9. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

I've heard more reasoned arguments that the moon landings were faked.

10. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Meanwhile, LFC got away with buying up properties around the Anfield area and then letting them fall into disrepair, remain unoccupied and reducing the value of surrounding properties which they then (with help from the council) forced the owners to sell at a reduced value that the club's behaviour had brought about. All under the watch of an Evertonian dominated city council led by an Evertonian who then became Mayor.

But yeah, there's a conspiracy and the South African government are in on it.

11. redbj

Not the thrust of my point though, and I'll also add that when the wheel turns, it turns quickly......a slight drop in compounding profits and the rats will leave the building.

Look at Italy if you want to see a league that seemed untouchable.

Scott Jones likes this.
  12. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

In fairness the italian league had many corruption scandals.

13. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Sure, but there is no point in making a rod for the club's back that somehow in the era where we were dominant and which now shapes our aspirations, we were managing it solely through intelligence and craft - like somehow the main reason is 'mentality'. The reason we stopped dominating is because of the financial realignment at the dawn of the PL, the reason we slipped out of perennial Top 4 status is because of the financial realignment produced by Chelsea and City. Competing at the top level now requires astronomical expenditure, which takes either capital or massive income streams. Of course it has to then be spent effectively, so other factors matter.

redfanman likes this.
  14. redbj

Wouldn't happen in England....

15. Da Bulli

Atalanta are doing well. That pleases me.

16. Da Bulli

Never to the extent that it is ingrained in Italian football.

17. redbj

That's debatable, but probably irrelevant, as Italian football did not collapse over a few scandals.

18. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Hogwash. The South African government is not that smart. Everyone knows that ;-)

19. Da Bulli

Are you saying that the EPL is at risk of coming off its pedestal as the supremely well marketed soapie that it is and as a result club owners like FSG will move out quickly once that happens?

20. redbj

No.

Da Bulli likes this.
  21. stan howard

734796 - they are proven facts you utter gobshite

22. Da Bulli

And there it is.

Scott Jones likes this.
  23. stan howard

kopstar - Why don't you google finch farm the other things I said, it's not hidden just not spoken about. can you honestly say that there is no conflict of interests, check it all. google the dock stadium and id you cannot see one conflict of interest after another - you probably have never set foot in Liverpool and know nothing of what is going on - don't get back it a tizzy get the facts get googling.

24. Kopstar

Legally, I ought to warn you against asserting so absolutely a conspiracy (to include insinuations of bribery and corruption) by identifiable individuals on a public forum.

But you're a smart chap so I'm sure you appreciate the difficulties that may arise for you and the site.

redfanman likes this.
  25. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

Had a feeling Stan wouldn't be long about facing some sort of ban.

I love how upset he gets about some text he posts that is COMPLETELY unsourced yet apparently proven. Even googling it finds nothing.

26. stan howard

kopstar - Every word is true and that's not the half of it - you never proved any of my statements wrong - just spouted irrelevant facts = Did the Council borrow 14 million pounds to help Liverpool - NO. did the Council pay for liverpools training ground to be rebuilt - NO, did the Council go guarantor for 300 million pounds worth of loans to Liverpool fc - NO. did the Council try to get liverpool a cheap stadium - NO, they insisted that Liverpool share with Everton or they would get no grants.

27. Da Bulli

Really?? Surely there's something around to support some of his claims. You swing as many punches as he does, something's got to connect sooner or later.

Flobs and Scott Jones like this.
  28. stan howard

29. Kopstar

But do these issues, even if true, evidence corruption and an unlawful conspiracy as you claim? No, they do not so again I would encourage you to refrain from making those allegations, particularly against identifiable individuals.

30. stan howard

kopstar yes I do understand - and I also understand that if they sue me they will have to answer an awful lot of questions,
    I am not smart, but I am not a smart arse. I never intended to stay on here.