The Owners

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by liveforthereds, Nov 12, 2012.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Which law? Say I am a North Korean citizen, positing it in China. The site is hosted in California. The guy I defamed is in UK. Which law do you use? How do you summon me to court? What can you do?

redfanman likes this.
  2. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

It is generally the law of wherever the site's servers are based but this issue always raises interesting questions about legal jurisdiction because, of course, your comments are viewable everywhere. That will be a question for the courts to determine using established rules to decide upon the appropriate legal forum.

Most jurisdictions have mutual agreements with respect to enforcing judgements against individuals resident outside of the determining jurisdiction. The Lugano and Brussels conventions also may apply.

Nobody wants to jeopardise the free availability of these forums though so I really would urge caution if anyone feels the need to unconditionally assert wrong-doing against identifiable individuals without proof.

Wait until they're dead, then you can say what you like (at least under UK law).

redfanman likes this.
  3. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

We have American owners, just plead the fourth amendment.

James H and redfanman like this.
  4. lfc.eddie

IN that case.... If Mascott and anyone in the HQ don't step in. Then we can say whatever the hell we like...
    http://www.socalinternetlawyer.com/defamation-internet-forums/

No need. It is user generated content, the forum is a service provider that provides a platform for us to use. What we say the forum is not accountable until the moderators get involved. And while you and I aren't in America when we are posting this, we are not bound by the laws in America and the forum are not liable. As below...

Fun stuff this.... we have digress a bit and we have our answers I think. Unless someone is going to come and tell me this website is unreliable... :-)

5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

That website is American, it is thus relevant only to people who are in reach only of American law - Section 230 covers only Americans. Where the servers are is only part of the question. I can point to two instances where Canadian residents who own forums have been held responsible for failing to shut down libellous comments on their forums, despite explicitly claiming the forums are not moderated and the fact that the servers were in the US, and at least one of the posting IPs was neither in Canada nor the US. One site shut down because they could not prevent a recurrence.

James H, redfanman and Kopstar like this.
  6. lfc.eddie

Another scenario, the forum setup by a group of people, citizen of say Czech Rep., and Canadian libel law was infringed, how do you shut them down when it is in the internet? Block their IP through ISP? It's very hard unless the forum owners home country ordered for closure, in which case, the forum owner could open a company in Cayman Island and own the site. How do you then press charges? You have to go to source country, or forum hosting country. I was involved in one of this spat in Singapore. In the end, they ordered the ISP to block my company's IP address, and that is as far as they could go though. They don't hold the rights to shut my entire forum or company that owns the forum down.

James H likes this.
  7. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Are we still talking about the owners ?

8. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

I found a site called "Roblox", though I suspect that might be a typo, or an anagram.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

*****whispers*******

Help....us.....pleeease......

10. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Just been looking into these granite stones for the 'Anfield forever' walkway.
    There is very little information about about this. I have some questions that I feel a modern club should provide. I hope someone here can help me.

How much much money income will this project produce for the club?
    What is the income going to be used for?

Really wish our club had better communication with the fans. When RCT did this all was laid out so the fans new why and what the money raised was going to be used for. Hidden accountancy is one of my pet hates. We often see this when stadiums are built or renovated weird accounts come out for a few years running after.

11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

You can tell a lot about a person on how they leave somewhere..

[​IMG]

A calling.. Exciting times ahead.

Kopstar and redfanman like this.
  12. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

He seems a decent guy and hopefully will do a good job within his remit, albeit that it is apparently purely commercial.

The management structure now seems to be split into football and commercial and it is very worrying to me that Edwards is totally in control of the footballing side, including all transfer negotiations.

The club, in my opinion, lacks football men at the top. It lacks people with knowledge to sense check what others do, people with contacts, people who can influence regulatory bodies, in the way ex directors of clubs like Chelsea and United have gone on to do.

I remain to be convinced that Edwards is good enough to squeeze every last ounce of footballing return out of every pound we spend, which is what we need to happen if we're to compete.

Pretty much every other club around us plans spending this summer beyond what would be the case if they were purely looking at their bottom line. So we have to be very clever and from what I've seen Edwards isn't clever enough.

13. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Not even trying to make a point here, it's a genuine question: How do you come to that conclusion? I didn't think he had much chances to prove himself yet.

redfanman and Iluvatar like this.
  14. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

Edwards and one Jurgen Norbert Klopp.
    The footballing side of things is covered :-)

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

What proof can you offer to your last statement? Sounds like total hyperbole bullshit to me.

Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
  16. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

I am sure Peter Moore will make it work when he arrives

17. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Alright Now, Maria and redfanman like this.