The Run In

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Dane, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

I know I'm a "one game at a time" sort, but just been looking at the remaining fixtures and found them quite interesting.
    The amount of times the top 6 have to play each other, meaning points are guaranteed to be dropped by our rivals is encouraging.

I know we're more likely to lose to Burnley than Man City the way our erratic form has been, but the rivals' definite points loss does make an interesting run in.
    (Some fixture dates still to be confirmed).

Fixtures.PNG

We have a definite advantage in relation to how many points we're guaranteed to drop in relation to the trio of Man City, Arsenal and Man Utd.
    Add to the mix that both mancs are still in Europe, and all of the other 5 are still in the FA Cup, it could well be a very intriguing (and hopefully not frustrating) run in to the league.

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Agreed. Obviously our main focus has to be on ourselves - simply put the inconsistency has to stop and we have to put together the sort of sustained run we did in the first few months of the season.

If we can do that, first and foremost, then there is no reason why we can't be hopeful of a fourth place finish minimum, and conceivably higher if we do as well as we should be doing on paper.

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  3. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Blimey, Southampton and Palace have to play every one of the top 6, that's a tough run in.

How is it that City's last game of the season appears to be against United but that game is not also United's last game of the season?

4. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

https://www.premierleague.com/fixtures

Try and keep up :?:

lfc.eddie, redfanman and Kopstar like this.
  5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Not sure what to make of ours given the inverse relationship between our performance and opponent's position on the table, but Arsenal and ManU both have fairly tough looking run ins. There could be a huge amount of anxiety at Arsenal by the time they go to White Hart Lane. All things being equal, it is hard to see LFC gaining ground on the table, City being the only likely target, but holding seems manageable.

It is actually sort of a relief to see that we don't have that many bottom quartile teams left to face.

redfanman likes this.
  6. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Had we beaten Leicester, i would have been much more positive about our run in, especially following an Arsenal win that would have left us ahead of Arsenal (after their game in hand) who are the side probably most under threat of losing their top four spot this season. As it is, it's still in our hands due to those games between the top six rivals. A win against Burnley will do a lot to restore confidence.

Scott Jones likes this.
  7. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Of all the people I expected to see as the person that opened this thread..... :o haha good thread pointing out nothing but facts though!

redfanman likes this.
  8. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I think I'd rather we were playing the Top 6 teams over the relegation fodder and mid table lot, given our form!

That said, hopefully Burnley is the start of a good run. One game at a time for us, but good to know that the others will be dropping points.

Eintrachtfan, Livvy and Scott Jones like this.
  9. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

Of the games still to play involving Spurs, Man City, Arsenal and Man Utd against each other, there will be a minimum of 15 points dropped between them.

On top of those games, which I haven't included, are 3 further games, involving Man City and Man Utd coming up against us or Chelsea.

Lots of possible twists and turns before the season ends.

redfanman likes this.
  10. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

I think United have it worst. Away to Arsenal, City, and Spurs in their final 4 or 5 fixtures... They could easily drop points in all 3 of those. Not to mention Chelsea a couple of weeks before that, they could have a horror ending to the season. Here's hoping for that!

City have 3 very tough fixtures coming up as well. Obviously we should fancy ourselves against them, and they should be worried about that one based on our good form against the top sides, and away to Chelsea should see them also dropping points. They probably pick up the points against Arsenal though.

I've pretty much written Arsenal off after their last few results, so we'll see what happens with them, but I wouldn't bet against a complete and utter collapse.

Spurs however, are a solid side. I fancy them to go out and pick up most of the points from their remaining fixtures, and Chelsea are already Champions so they're also out of the picture. All we really need from Chelsea is for them to keep doing what they do against City and United.

That said, it really comes down to ourselves. We win our games and it won't matter what happens with the others. Start with Burnley. Let the momentum build and maybe we can get on the kind of run we had earlier this season.

11. redfanman

United may have it worst, but they also may be the least likely to worry about it if they are confident they can win the EL this season.

12. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Yes, sadly the are clear favourites to win the Europe League.
    Last season we had to deal with the scum, Augsburg /solid German club/, Dortmund /waiting for their opponent in the 1/4 finals of the Champions League this season/, Villareal /one of the best spanish teams/ and finally Sevilla...
    While they played St. Etienne /7th in France/, now Rostov /slightly better than Rubin Kazan that we had in the group/ and what is left in the tournament?
    1.Genk
    2. Anderlecht or Apoel from Cyprus
    3. Kobenhaven or Ajax /far away from their glory days/
    4. Krasnodar or Celta /one of the few decent teams in EL, but still a level below Sevilla or Villareal/
    5. Gladbach or Schalke /both teams having very poor seasons/
    6. Roma or Lyon /thought that Roma could be a strong favourite to win the EL, but they had serious problems vs. the 4th in League 1/
    7. Olympiacos or Besiktas /both teams leading the table in Greece and Turkey, but their maximum level is 1/2 final/
    Well, if we had the same teams left last season I'd feel much more confident.

13. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Good thread,makes interesting reading.
    If we can overcome our long lasting headache of struggling against lower teams,we can finish top four comfortably.
    But can we?
    Sooner or later we are going to,just hope it is sooner,like against Burnley tomorrow.

redfanman likes this.
  14. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

I was hoping that by the time we reached the last few games of the season that the bottom of the standings had already been decided and the teams were just riding out the season. However, it seems that the games against Palace and Boro will be must-wins for them as they battle it out to stay in the premier league.

At least for the games against Watford, Soton and West Ham those teams will have nothing to play for, so hopefully they mail it in.

15. TheSweetSilverSong

TheSweetSilverSong Well-Known Member

One game at a time?!?!?! One game at a time???!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously.....

Livvy likes this.
  16. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

If we only didn't go through that 2 months melt down, we'd be in a perfect position to move upwards and cement our place as top 2 or 3. Damn it!!!

redfanman likes this.
  17. redfanman

NYRhockey and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  18. redfanman

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  19. redfanman

So, last season Arsenal were second with 71 points. Probably not enough to get second this season, but 6 more wins out of our remaining 10 games will give us 73 points, so a good chance of finishing top four with that?

20. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

I'd actually just love to see us win all our remaining games, just so they have the experience of actually going on a solid run rather than worrying about league position.

Last season's standings were an aberration though, 73 should be a decent chance at getting top 4, but not odds-on yet.

21. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

and yet i read in today's pre-match thread that Klopp doesn't look like a right fit for this league. The shit we gotta read through is plentiful.

redfanman likes this.
  22. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Yep, very disappointing stuff from Hope.

23. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Kans could be done for the season, just as he was hitting form, Ibratwat is out for 3 games, and was carrying them in terms of goals, Arsenal are about to implode as is the Gunner way.. I think we should be fine, beat City we could quite possibly get 2nd.

24. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Yup, I have some doubts about him, but won't elaborate in here, as this isn't the right place for it. I also need to understand better why that is so before I can put it in words.

As for my in-match twaddles, you can happily ignore them. During a match, when emotions take over, I'm often someone else. My excuses for this.

25. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Wait....what?

You of all people...even if jurgen 'fails' to land us number 19, he's already done so much in line with what this club is all about.

He needs a pot, don't get me wrong.....but he's already one of 'us' in my mind....that's a form of success...especially in HIYH land......

It feels like the day Torres went to Chelsea...I'm not angry, or heart broken I'm.....I don't know...perplexed.

eng.amohd, ubermick and redfanman like this.
  26. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

That would be significant if we had a stronger squad but it is not much of an advantage when we get a couple of injuries and these are inevitable.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  27. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

It's just a feeling, and as said above, I'll wait before putting it into words. Hopefully it will go away, as it's quite nasty to be honest... I like Kloppo very much too.

28. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I can go one further, I can think of at least five things to criticise Klopp over, but that's not the point.....look at Rafa, look at Wenger....I mean, there were even murmurings about fergie.....

No one is perfect, and doubt is inevitable....

It's the positives you need to look for and cling to.

29. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

Fail to see how our injuries has any impact on the guaranteed points our rivals will drop against each other.

30. redfanman

Yeah, I'm with @redbj on this. Totally surprised that you of all posters would say this. Especially when we have our third highest points haul in the Premier league at this stage of the season. When was the last time we had spent so much time in the top 4 or 5 places throughout the season?

eng.amohd, FGred, Dane and 1 other person like this.