The Run In

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Dane, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

So, as has been pointed out above, United have lost their top goalscorer and pretty much their entire defence for the bulk of their run-in. Surely that has to result in some lost points, exacerbated by their hectic schedule.

At this point however I'm almost certain they'll jam their way to the EL and sneak into the CL via the back door. It wouldn't be great, but as long as we get there ourselves I'd be able to live with it.

Still hoping for the Aspas winner in the final...

2. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I thought Smalling had already declared himself fit?

If Ibrahimović is really out for the next few games, it will be a massive blow to them but nowhere as big as it would have been some two or three months ago. Rashford has progressed well in the meantime and needs to start playing as centre forward as soon as possible, everyone saw how good he was against Chelsea. With him leading the attack and Herrera anchoring the midfield, their football is much more fluid than that with Ibrahimović, though football they play with Ibrahimović looks more effective because he always manages to score out of nowhere... As long as both Herrera and Rashford are fit, they'll manage, unfortunately for us. It would be great if Burnley managed to hold them to a draw this weekend, though, to give us some breathing space.

MarcusBerglund and redfanman like this.
  3. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

It's still possible for five teams to overtake Chelsea. Congrats to them on joining ManU in the Europa League though

redfanman and SBYM like this.
  4. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

I'd certainly settle for United winning the Europa Cup if it guarantees our run in being less stressful. Also 5 english clubs in it next season makes it all the more interesting as long as one is us of course.

redfanman likes this.
  5. Bambii

Bambii TIA Reserve Team

Ibrahimovic being out is probably a good thing for them. Martial and Rashford look like they are going to be some great players. But Mourinho won't take advantage of them unless he really needs to. Not sure why any young player would go there.
    Man City vs Man Utd on Thursday. Spurs Arsenal a week on Sunday. If we win our games , top 4 will be looking quite secure.

Commando likes this.
  6. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

I think they'd struggle in the EL final without Ibrahimovich. He's the man for that occasion, even if they should be fine without him in the league.

There's also only so many games Rashford can play. He's just done 120 minutes and they've got a game every 3/4 days from now on. I think even with 5 points in our next 3 games we'll still be ahead of these.

Livvy and redfanman like this.
  7. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

You do realise they are not in the EL final? and have a tricky semi final first.. And this is a LFC forum. My choice is that they DONT win the EL (UEFA) and they DONT finish in the top four- Then I will be happy !!! Plus they wont have a Euro free season next year because they will be in the EL again ! which will benefit us net year !

8. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Also, United being out of the CL would make it that much harder (i.e. expensive) to convince players to join them this summer.

For example, hypothetically speaking someone like James Rodriguez would surely look more seriously at an offer from Liverpool (with CL) than from United (with EL). (But then United would pay silly fees and wages and he'd go there anyways, but they'd have to pay dearly)

9. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Is this a Scum or LFC forum, just checking!

Post on Utd not getting 4th I guess are ok

10. ILLOK

I think they'd (they would) struggle in the EL final without Ibrahimovich.That's what I said. I didn't say 'they will'. If they get there, I think they'll struggle without him. I'm more confident of them not winning it if he's injured which is a good thing as you've just agreed so I'm not sure what the point of your post is. And as I've said repeatedly I'm confident we will finish ahead of them.

Thanks for telling me this is an LFC forum though. After 8 years and over 10,000 posts i hadn't yet realised. It's almost as if I thought that Man United are relevant to the thread called 'The run in' given they're our closest competitors for fourth.

legalalien, redfanman, Bambii and 2 others like this.
  11. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Lets hope that if they make the final they fail, as we did last season. Bet they loved that, and I would love it if it happened to them this time.

Jimmyscase likes this.
  12. Jimmyscase

To the untrained eye Everton's chances of finishing above United seem zero, but in one permutation they could actually end up in third place behind us and Chelsea
    Everton beating Chelsea is one of many musts for us to be champions. And in the worst case scenario them losing to Arsenal on the last day of the season lands us in 5th place.

13. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

James isn't on our radar, probably never was as he would only ever be a direct replacement for Coutinho.

I honestly don't worry about Utd, under Mou they will never grow, they may win a few cups along the way but they need a proper rebuild, they need a proper ground up coach like Poch. Mou will spend buckets of cash then fuck off leaving a disaster area of old past it players and disillusioned youths making up a team needing even further investment.

14. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

The problem is that ManU's revenue is so much larger than anyone else's that they can actually use the ManC pathway of just throwing money at the problem year after year after year. That won't get them back to the absolute top of the game, but as long as they stay in the CL places, it doesn't have to for a good long while. Their commercial income probably doesn't need a title to stay atop the PL, Champions League exposure is enough. They need a sustained period of second tier status for their fundamental position to weaken. This EL campaign may prove more pivotal to shaping the PL than last year's, when we so narrowly missed out on a CL spot.

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Do you think? I thought a lot of their commercial deals regressively slide the longer they are not in the CL.. A couple of years out of the CL and I could see them stopping their blatant dick swinging money spend. Cities was from a bottomless pit that was completely irrespective of any other factor, they could just keep spending.. Utd will get to a point (performance) related when they simply cannot spend their way out of it.. So if they miss out of the CL this season, do you see them getting back in next season? City will be better, Chelsea will continue to be good, Spurs (if they hold onto their team and Poch) will be a force and we will be fighting for the title.. 2 seasons without CL and their commercial revenue will get hit very hard (also missing 120mil from just not being in the CL.)

There is a great chance here to start a freefall for the scum, their debts will come back to haunt them eventually, although if they sneak in via the EL backdoor it will be annoying as hell.

redfanman and Jimmyscase like this.
  16. Jimmyscase

I don't believe in Father Christmas anymore, I'm afraid, as nice as the idea of a scum freefall sounds. The last five seasons is as close to a freefall they're gonna get. We only have ourselves to blame for what didn't happen over the last 27 years. They weren't always just lucky

geebo likes this.
  17. Arminius

That is sort of what I was getting at - if they squeak into the CL by way of the EL, the rot is stopped, even if the club has not done anything to improve their fundamental base. They will be right back in, CL-dependent commercial deals refreshed, heading out into the world with the biggest cheque book in football, and will at least be a serious contender for Top 4. Failing to get into the CL won't be critical for them, but it will hurt. Getting in really restarts the clock for them.

As a side note, it is absurdly obvious how the English footy media has completely done a 180 on the worth of the Europa League as a competition now that ManU is grinding toward winning it.

Red Armada, redfanman, Nikola and 2 others like this.
  18. Jimmyscase

It got us 24.??? ranking points last year without which we wouldn't be in the top 50 clubs. #34 is disgraceful enough. Below Dynamo Kiev and Villa Real for example

19. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I think you might wanna give this advice to your brother(s). I found these in the last few pages before this one...
    Nothing to do with Liverpool there, yes? And...
    So can talk about Arsenal, City and United in one thread without mentioning Liverpool FC. And...
    Again, no mention of Liverpool FC, only how Arsenal and United would finish.

This all from last 3 pages. If I dig more in here I can assure you that your brothers may have violated your own rules. So maybe you should tell your brother off first before posting a snide remark like that, eh?

20. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Zlatan, ACL so done for the season.. Gutted for them, truly am.. He's the type that would have got jammy goals v's the 11 men behind the ball teams (hi Burnley).

21. ILLOK

At 35 that's going to be tough to recover from. Gives Jose an excuse to spend an additional 70 million in the summer.

Scott Jones, redfanman and Jimmyscase like this.
  22. Jimmyscase

"Spend'? That would be the Portuguese translation of "waste", would it?

Scott Jones likes this.
  23. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I've just read he's torn both, acl and pcl... If thats true i dont think he will ever play again.

Scott Jones and geebo like this.
  24. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Let's hope he spends it on Kane and weakens them.

25. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

He has already set aside £100m for that little Frenchman by the name of Griezmann.

26. Jimmyscase

Punditry or pantos? Which route will our favourite billionaire ex-player take

27. Arminius

If you look at the Atletico example, by the time they got to the CL in 13/14, they were top of Pot 2. A soft Pot 1, and they had an open road in front of them to get through the group. It is bizarre how shortsighted PL teams have been.

redfanman likes this.
  28. Arminius

Aw crap - I think there is a good chance of that. Even though he is not that likable, he is sort of enjoyable to dislike, and I hate to see a career end that way.

29. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

hey, he already conquered England so there is nothing else for him to accomplish in the Premier League :-)

30. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Think they were gearing up to that anyway. There seemed to be a lot of noise about him moving to MLS this summer.