The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

1. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

I like Lemar as well. He's not as heralded as the others but he is talented.

Read today that Liverpool is interested in Lacazette but he has a £60m price tag.

I would pass at that price. The sad thing is we could have had him for much less just 1-2 seasons ago.

He had 1 good season, then 1 down season, now another great season and his price goes up too much for me to think he's worthwhile.

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yep, he also said we are prepared to spend big to land them. Klopp wants them both.

3. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Where did Joyce say this?

4. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

VVD, Keita, Sessegnon, Brandt and Kluivert.

End offseason.....let's rock

5. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Web chat at 1pm today.

6. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I
    I knew who he was on about, just thought I'd be funny about it. Didn't get it did you? Haha

inaiq likes this.
  7. GaryBarlow99

GaryBarlow99 New Member

Did he say who else we were targeting like Brandt, Sessegnon, etc?

8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Just Klopp wants 1st team players, Sturridge may or may not go (basically will he be happy on reduced game time as he's not number 1), Moreno to go, ?Hendo back before the end of the season, Ings to go on loan.

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Like any other journalist, Joyce just pick a name and throw it out there. Just take a stroll in our twitter thread and you'll see.

redfanman likes this.
  10. GaryBarlow99

GaryBarlow99 New Member

Cheers. It will be interesting to see if we do go for another striker if Sturridge stays and Ings goes on loan.

11. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

This shit that Joyce throws sticks a lot more than other journos though. I tend to take note when he writes.

12. Scorchio

Scorchio Well-Known Member

There's so much misinformation out there that it's very difficult to sift through that which may have some basis of fact, to that which is complete bullshit.

The reality, the same as every summer with every club, is that in comings will largely depend on outgoings. As there are no guarantees that we'll be able to move on those players we no longer need, there can be no guarantees that we'll move for rumoured targets.

redfanman likes this.
  13. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Even while he was at The Express, he broke a lot stories regarding line-ups, injuries, transfers... I have him second to Tony Barrett in my reliability index at the moment, even ahead of Dominic King.

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  14. ILLOK

That's precisely why you identify the best journos like Joyce and ignore the rest.

redfanman likes this.
  15. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I agree

16. Scorchio

Maybe. Maybe not.

Joyce said that this summer we'd be looking at signing players in the following positions: LB, CB, CM, AM, ST.

So what he's basically saying is that it's possible that we'll sign players in every position except GK and RB. Bearing in mind that Klopp has already stated that he won't be signing a new keeper, and the obvious observation that he's content with Clyne and Arnold, I'd say that he's not telling us anything that we didn't already know.

Sorry, but I don't call that inside info.

17. ILLOK

He has been reliable for years.

What you posted might not be surprising, but if it's correct, that's all he can say isn't it? I'm sure he could make shit up and pretend it's inside info like the rest of them but as far as I can tell he tends not to.

His track record speaks for itself really. I'm not saying I hang on his every word but if he's making it all up he's doing a cracking job.

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  18. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Spanish press has us bidding 50M Euros for Asensio from Real - not sure if that has already come up, but surprised not to hear more buzz about it even if it is agent bluster

edit: just saw the article below, not sure if AS is now reporting the English rumour or their own source that confirms it

19. Scorchio

I'm not saying that he's making it all up either.

When people are hungry for news, you feed them a story. That's what journalists do. It's their job.

Every summer, we get linked with 1000s of different players, players who are our number 1 targets, players who we've all but signed to the cause. And every summer we're fed some bullshit excuse when it doesn't happen.

We then later find out that we were never in for those players anyway. I've seen it so many times over the years that I only ever trust the echo nowadays. They get very little wrong.

Joyce may well be the most reliable out there, but he's only as good as his sources. And if the manager isn't decided on who he's moving for yet, then I can't possibly imagine how Joyce or his sources would know.

20. ILLOK

Which is why you take the info with a pinch of salt.

Not signing Keita in the summer does not mean he is not currently our top target for the midfield.

redfanman and Limiescouse like this.
  21. lfc.eddie

It is hard for me to take them seriously if I were to believe we have a competent group of people running the club. The strategies of the club, at times may be obvious, but I would rather them not divulge them so easily to anyone who they like unless they are looking to divert attention. Saying that, which is why I don't trust the likes of Pearce and even Barrett and Joyce. But if they are getting accurate leaks, then our club aren't that good at their jobs then because we all know we cannot fight against those big guns if it comes down to bidding war.

22. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

I think most leaks come from agents. The very best journalists can sort through the bs that gets thrown at them and pick out the truth, and will be able to get confirmation from a contact at the club (which is why being a good journalist is tough). I don't think it's (at least, not most of the time) as simple as Klopp telling a staff member to call up Joyce and tell them we are going to sign player x. You know, unless we want it known in the media that we want to sign player x.

You accumulate sources by gaining their trust and only printing the things they want seen in the paper, and in return for being a trustworthy journo and only printing on the record stuff, you can pressure the PR group into confirming or denying a story. Most clubs don't want the respected journo's sniffing around them like rabid dogs. That comes coupled with an ability to sort through tremendous amounts of bullshit. Even the best get tricked sometimes, which is why everything comes with a grain of salt.

Artrain, Scott Jones, Nikola and 3 others like this.
  23. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

I think the club are deliberately telling a select few journalist information as an arm of their PR strategy. When I think about it they probably have nothing to lose from doing this. I suspect the transfer market is translucent across the board, when we consider the abundance of agents and the fact that scouts will all know each other. I suspect all the major clubs know exactly who the other clubs are after so I don't think leaks on this front will weaken a team at all. Now the purpose of this could be to divert attention or it could be a concerted effort to manage the expectations of the fan base who knows.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  24. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Joyce, Barrett and Pearce won't throw random names out, if they mention them were after them. Doesn't mean we will get them though

25. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

26. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Definitely one of the more reliable. Melissa Reddy is also worth listening to.

And on leaks, it's just as likely all these links to players and rumours of the biggest summer ever are with the attention of catching the ears of target players rather than fans.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    redfanman likes this.
  27. lfc.eddie

There are much better ways to do that than using the media to reveal your cards.

28. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Maybe, but it's definitely a line being put out.

redfanman likes this.
  29. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

If this Robertson rumour is in anyway true and Hull manage to beat the drop could Markovic being going in the opposite direction. If so It would help get any deal done i.e. you play hardball over Robertson Liverpool do the same with Markovic.

30. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

The Robertson rumour is interesting because when the Chilwell deal faltered last summer we were rumoured to be interested in him then. I think some links may have reappeared in December but like the most recent one, not from a reliable source. I'm not sure Hull will be interested in Markovic, so am not sure that helps. I would think a reasonable bid would clinch the signing fairly easily.

Scott Jones likes this.