Timo Werner (FWD) Red Bull Leipzig

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Hope in your heart, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

There have been a few rumours around this lad, confirming that the club might be interested, so I thought a specific thread could be opened to discuss the player. Of course, this doesn't relate to any probability that we'll eventually land him. So, don't throw your pram out of the window if nothing materialises out of this link... ;-)

Here is an interesting article I found which sums up his strengths and weaknesses, and whether he''d be worthy of an expensive purchase:
    http://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/timo-werner-a-profile-on-liverpool-transfer-target-timo-werner

2. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Tsk...don't you need a reliable link to open a thread like this? ;-)

legalalien and redfanman like this.
  3. Hope in your heart

We decided to relax the rules a bit. A little bit. :-)

legalalien, redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Do you like the player Hope? Any opinion on him adapting to the PL potentially?

5. Hope in your heart

Well, I certainly like his scoring record this season (14 in 23 matches)... But I've never watched him play live, so I'll reserve any definite judgment.

But I'm sure some of the lads here will oblige us by putting in the obligatory youtube clip ;-), and maybe some of the German lads have seen him playing already?

Clive and redfanman like this.
  6. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

You are right. We need to relax the rules a slight bit.
    P.S. - let me open a Messi thread.lol

7. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Anyone know if he scores many headers?

8. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

As a person this kid apparently has a bad reputation. I've seen the german lads mentioned this several times, but never got an explanation for what about him, especially as such a young players, makes him stand out as so easy to dislike.

9. Hope in your heart

Well... maybe not relax them that much... ;-)

10. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

RB Leipzig to be the new Southampton?

11. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

12. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

In Stuttgart, there were many rumours/allegations floating around about his character and attitude, hard to say if there was any truth behind it - he was however, for example, very openly criticised by his then coach, who said that "enough is enough and "I'm not his nanny" and the guy "should get out of his comfort zone", backed up by the then DoF saying similar things. Just to give you one example that this isn't coming totally out of the blue.
    Then there's his general tendency to go down rather quickly on the pitch and always complaing to the ref. There famously was a pretty bad dive against Schalke, which was made much, much worse by the interviews he gave after the match - causing him to be booed everywhere he went and having to apologise publicly. Personally - in general in interviews he comes across as a bit of a c**t as well, but that's purely subjective and could be a bit about his way of speaking and his incredibly annoying voice;-)

EDIT: Oh nice @Livvy, must have been a millisecond faster than me;-)

13. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Yep, but if he would "dive for us" and if we could somehow manage that he isnt allowed to talk to the press afterwards, he could be pretty useful ;-)

14. Cologne-Liverpool

Yeah, sure, I've mentioned him as a possible good target myself before, got no problem with us signing him in general - if we can get him.
    I was just answering because Limiescouse keeps on asking and another one of the German lads (I think SoftGerman? not sure) tried to answer a couple of times already (maybe not to Limie though) and cited similiar concerns.

Livvy likes this.
  15. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I am all for adding a player everyone else finds easy to hate. Sign him up.

16. The Elusive 19th

So the new Suarez?

17. Cologne-Liverpool

That applies to the diving and the way he comes across.
    The questions about his attitiude and character in Stuttgart are a different thing - again, I have no clue if that was just unfair treatment and false allegations, but in general it's always easy when everything goes hunky dory as it has this season for him in Leipzig - that these allegations came up when there were tough times in Stuttgart should at least be of some concern I think. I don't know, I'm just saying...

Limiescouse likes this.
  18. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I like his scoring form this season, 14/23 is a great return, however a little while to settle, also playing against decent and different opposition throughout the entire league. You will have a few managers and defenders that will purposely try and get under his skin during a game, I know I would use someone's weakness in order to benefit my team. I haven't seen him play so I can't comment on how good he is, I'd still go all out for Lacazette first. I like the unknown quantity of a player coming to the club, it's always exciting as nobody has seen him play or heard of any of the players that come in, I always eagerly anticipate unknown players and hoping they thrive.

19. Cologne-Liverpool

lol

20. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Imo the chance to get him might be probably much better as some other "highly rated" player because of this. Cant see Dortmund or even Bayern would want to sign him. And for Timo it's maybe the best to make a new start somewhere abroad.

21. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

Would rather Emil Forsberg than Timo.

22. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Forsberg mainly operates in Coutinho's zone though... maybe we're looking for more different qualities to have in rotation.

redfanman likes this.
  23. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Shows the same appetite too?

24. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

My thinking was. I think Forsberg is firstly overall a better talent than Timo.
    Secondly we don't have another truly creative presence like Coutihno on the team.
    Thirdly, Forsberg is a LW and although not a left footer has more pace and directness than Coutihno. Also a good work rate.
    And lastly I would like Coutihno moving back into midfield and a LW brought in. So they could both play at same time or rotate if necessary in LW role.

Btw dont disagree with players bringing different qualities to team. Just my opinion if we were to raid Leipzig. I would want the better player imo which is Forsberg. But we need to pay £ and offer champions league.

25. The Elusive 19th

Man eater? - hope not. Otherwise @ptt will be waiting in airport to boo Timo when he comes down to sign for us. Cameroon will call him "the most appalling example" while putting his **** in a pig's mouth during press conference.
    lollollol

lfc.eddie likes this.
  26. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

I would not compare Forsberg to Coutinho, at all. Forsberg is more Dirk Kuyt than he is Coutinho. He will do everything well, and he will always adapt and do what the team needs. He is one of those rare players that will pull out MOTM performances in all type of games. He was one of the most hard working players, when Malmö parked the bus all the way through the CL qualifications to CL. He was the creative and mobile force, that allowed Malmö to unlock tight defensive blocks in the Swedish first league. He was every so often the match winner when Malmö played important games against even sides.

His only weakness, is that he isn't super speedy. While gifted with dribbling ability to cut through lines, he doesn't have that speed that Klopp seems to look for in a wide player. On top of that, he doesn't exactly add height or weight.

With that said, I think Timo is more of a Klopp player.

Limiescouse likes this.
  27. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I wasn't saying he's like Coutinho, but he mainly plays on the left from what I see for both club and country and is not a natural winger. Brandt on the other hand is more of a winger who can play on both sides. Werner seems like a goalscoring runner who can do that role on both the sides of a 4-3-3 (as we play with those two more inside).

redfanman likes this.
  28. HKReds

HKReds New Member

But won't it be good to have players that offer something different. Against teams that sit deep (which we often struggle with), I am not sure if pace is that crucial to unlock those defences whereas if his dibbling and creative ability is as top notch as what is being reported, it will greatly aid us in breaking those team down.

29. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

Agreed, I didn't quite come around to adressing your post. Got lost in my own rambling, I guess.

The point I should have made was that Forsberg is way more dynamic than Coutinho. I think he could be used in a lot of positions. But with his lack of speed, I don't think he is an ideal target. Inaki Williams and Brandt is probably the blueprint of what Klopp wants.

I think Timo Werner is a bit too much central forward for my taste. If Klopp goes for Timo, we have Origi as central attacker as well ... what do we do with Origi?

30. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Forsberg has some very impressive offensive stats, I'd probably prefer him over Werner.. Brandt comes in for the pacey wideman (rotates with Mane) and Forsberg is the one that rotates with Coutinho etc.

I agree Origi has a future here, it will click for him sooner rather than later and him and Firmino are excellent options up front... If we are plush with money though, I'd go for Icardi, nothing like a proper CF who scores goals for fun.

redfanman and RobLFC like this.